Sky Special Offers for o2 Customers

Comments

• LION8TIGERLION8TIGER Posts: 8,484
    Forum Member
    alfa_mazda wrote: »
    It says if i switch now (well before the end of June) I can get free TV, broadband and weekend calls for 1 year, all I'd pay is £14.50 a month line rental. That's less than I pay now for O2 broadband and line rental alone so am hoping I can do it!
    neil79 wrote: »
    Just had a email saying my BB & home phone is increasing to £28pm in June after paying only £21pm for the last 12 months.
    They will have to do better than that to have any chance of keeping my custom.
    mred2000 wrote: »
    It seems to be different people are being told different things. You'll only know for sure if you phone them and ask.

Well thats for sure and extreme opposites.
  • neil79neil79 Posts: 535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just had a email from Sky with a completely different offer to the one in the O2 email a few hours back. Sky/O2 need to get their act together.

Now being offered Sky BB for £2.50 pm for 12 months which is in effect a downgrade from my current O2 BB.

Also on offer is Sky fibre at £20 pm + £14.50pm landline with 6 months half price which works out over 12 months at £29.50 pm. for 38mb. Virgin media offer a deal that works out £3.25 pm cheaper over 12 months for 60mb (nearly twice the speed) or I could take their slightly slower 30mb for another £5 pm cheaper than Sky. Sky doesn't look a good offer to me.
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Completely random compared to the 12 months free bb and tv that others are being offered...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Completely random compared to the 12 months free bb and tv that others are being offered...

How is it random ?

Free BB ? you mean free slow BB ? Free TV ? You mean free TV without the sport & movies ?
    Forum Member
    Random in the way that alfa-mazda is being offered free broadband for a year and you are being asked to pay, never mind the free TV (and I think an HD box ).
    I'm with Sky and my broadband is fine.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2727723343.png
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How is it random ?

That you're getting poor offers compared to what others are getting.

Dunno about your other issues. The bb speed depends on many variables and the tv package being offered is quite good with a free sky+hd box. I wouldn't be fussed about not having footie and movies, you can't expect to be given the moon AND the stars... Equally, under normal circumstances, I wouldn't be fussed about Sky full stop but 12 months free is an interesting prospect...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That you're getting poor offers compared to what others are getting.

Dunno about your other issues. The bb speed depends on many variables and the tv package being offered is quite good with a free sky+hd box. I wouldn't be fussed about not having footie and movies, you can't expect to be given the moon AND the stars... Equally, under normal circumstances, I wouldn't be fussed about Sky full stop but 12 months free is an interesting prospect...

I used to have Sky TV and the basic TV which is what we are taking about offers nothing over freesat or Freeveiw.

Sky offers an expensive pay TV service and has nothing else to offer. I have just been on the phone to Sky and I am getting the same offers as everybody else. The call centre operative insisted on reeling out the poor Sky offerings before giving me my MAC code.

As a broadband customer I don't want to be quoted for pay TV when I am looking for a new BB provider.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got the email today, and have now signed up to 12 months free TV and Broadband. It's win win I get a free satellite dish installed and internet for less than I was paying O2.

I doubt very much I will continue with the TV subscription after the 12 months and will just use Free Sat after that. Still saving me over £70 for the year and whatever Satellite dish and installation is worth, so I'm happy to move over early.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to have Sky TV and the basic TV which is what we are taking about offers nothing over freesat or Freeveiw.

They're not offering basic TV in this deal at all. They're offering the Entertainment Extra+ (http://www.sky.com/products/tv-packs/entertainment-extra-plus/)pack which, if paid for, is over thirty quid a month. Plus Sky+HD box and installation. Nothing basic about that at all.

In the same email they're offering either the 12 months free TV and BB for just the cost of line rental (between 9.50-14.50 a month depending on how you do it) OR just BB on it's own, without telly or phone, for £2.50 a month. 12 month terms.

HOWEVER, as I've already said but you seem to be misinterpreting it, it is typically random of the CS to be offering these deals to some folk and not to others.
  • davewsdavews Posts: 213
    Forum Member
    My offer of broadband at £2.50/month DID have the phone tied with it. I have heard of nobody who has received a BB only offer.

For me, I have zilch interest in TV of any form so that offer does nothing for me. And being 6 months through a BT line rental saver I would still lose out cash wise. Prepared to wait till the autumn when my LRS is nearing completion before doing anything.
  • DenonDaveDenonDave Posts: 163
    Forum Member
    They're not offering basic TV in this deal at all. They're offering the Entertainment Extra+ (http://www.sky.com/products/tv-packs/entertainment-extra-plus/)pack which, if paid for, is over thirty quid a month. Plus Sky+HD box and installation. Nothing basic about that at all.

In the same email they're offering either the 12 months free TV and BB for just the cost of line rental (between 9.50-14.50 a month depending on how you do it) OR just BB on it's own, without telly or phone, for £2.50 a month. 12 month terms.

HOWEVER, as I've already said but you seem to be misinterpreting it, it is typically random of the CS to be offering these deals to some folk and not to others.

BIB is this correct? I've just signed up for this but when I tried to pay for 12 months line rental in advance I was told it wasn't available with this offer. It's still a pretty good deal for me.

I've typically had several emails from O2 saying how sorry they are to see me go (!) and even one asking why I'm cancelling my order, and please send the router back! A call to O2 was answered by SKY, hopefully all will be OK. Satellite box to be installed next Wednesday, phone and broadband to go live on 7th June.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DenonDave wrote: »
    BIB is this correct?

Yep. Both the hotukdeals page and the O2 forum have folk on there who have paid the line rental up front and reduced the overall fee... more evidence of the randomness of CS bods!
  • barker71barker71 Posts: 665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are these deals likely to be around later on in the year ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    barker71 wrote: »
    Are these deals likely to be around later on in the year ?

Dunno. This 12 months free deal finishes at the end of June, apparently
  • msimmsim Posts: 2,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Phoned up today as had already requested move to Tesco broadband (for price reasons, no anti-Murdoch sentiment) but had heard about potential retention offers. Mentioned what I had read on here and elsewhere and have got the Entertainment Extra +, HD pack, Unlimited broadband and phone for free for 12 months. Decided to pay the line rental 12 months in advance for £120 so essentially am getting £47 per month worth of Sky services for the £9.99 a month line rental fee. Unbelievable offer really compared to £21.50pm I was paying just for line rental and broadband with O2 previously.
    Forum Member
    I think that if I was an o2 customer and wanted the deal, I would phone up and say I was thinking of leaving but would instead like to take up the Sky offer of free TV and broadband for a year.
    If I got a negative response I would say bye and phone again in 5 mins and again and again until I got the offer ...... unless it is a geographical thing, available space on their network ??
    Forum Member
    DenonDave wrote: »
    BIB is this correct? I've just signed up for this but when I tried to pay for 12 months line rental in advance I was told it wasn't available with this offer. It's still a pretty good deal for me.

I've typically had several emails from O2 saying how sorry they are to see me go (!) and even one asking why I'm cancelling my order, and please send the router back! A call to O2 was answered by SKY, hopefully all will be OK. Satellite box to be installed next Wednesday, phone and broadband to go live on 7th June.

I emailed Sky and told them other people were allowed to pay upfront - had a reply saying that I could also. A quick phone call and all paid - another £54 saved!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I finally made my mind up and dumped O2/Sky.
    O2 to have been fantastic but all good things come to a end eventually.

I narrowed my choice down to 3 providers as I had decided to upgrade to fibre. BT, Virgin and Sky were the contenders and although Virgin offered the cheapest deal I was concerned about reports of some of their 60mb customers struggling to stream You Tube video at peak times which is something I can do on my current 11mb connection.

Sky also seem very hit and miss and they have admitted being oversubscribed in a lot of areas. BT also have issues but it seemed to mostly be on their ADSL connections and I personally know a lot of people who are very pleased with BT Fibre. Sky is also more expensive than BT if you want the faster speeds.
  • spacepostmanspacepostman Posts: 774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LION8TIGER wrote: »
    Random in the way that alfa-mazda is being offered free broadband for a year and you are being asked to pay, never mind the free TV (and I think an HD box ).
    I'm with Sky and my broadband is fine.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2727723343.png

o2's speeds aren't bad in comparison - In fact my o2 connection seems better than Sky.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2737263823.png - on the o2 "All Rounder" package. (for some reason speedtest think's I'm with BE) , but their network traffic management makes streaming unusable.

The offers form Sky for o2 Broadband Customers were in a letter not an email. I can't find the letter which is annoying as I can't find the link to the webpage.

But I will ring them and pester for the best deal as mentioned here: http://www.itproportal.com/2013/05/20/o2-customers-getting-free-sky-tv-and-broadband-entice-them-stay/#disqus_thread - , hopefully someone's not telling porkies.

One other thing, o2 currently give us a £10 discount for being mobile customers spending £10 a month - and I think I also get another £5 for being an o2 mobile user for more than 2 years. What's the implications for that?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    (for some reason speedtest think's I'm with BE)

That's because O2 uses the BE network... though they own BE...
    The offers form Sky for o2 Broadband Customers were in a letter not an email.

There have been a couple of letters from Sky/O2 but this 12 month free TV and BB deal is from an email doing the rounds. If you've not had the email then it might be worth trying to phone them.

The post regarding the deal on the HotUKDeals website seems to have the most info: http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/free-skytv-broadband-for-a-year-for-o2-customers-1556592?page=19#post18111704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Found the email and got my offer code now, it had gone into my "SPAM" box...

This is the email:

Important news about your move to Sky Broadband

Hello XXXXX

We thought we'd get in touch to give you more information about the transfer of your home broadband, and home phone if you have it with O2, to Sky's network later this year. We also want to take this opportunity to answer some of the questions you've been asking us to give you a better idea of what to expect from the move.

We know your broadband is important to you, so we're busy making sure your service is transferred as smoothly as possible and isn't disrupted in any way.

Here are the answers to some frequently asked questions:

When will the transfer take place?

We'll start moving your home broadband to Sky's network from autumn this year. You'll get plenty of notice when we're ready to transfer you.

Will I need a new router?

No. As part of your move to Sky, you can continue to use your existing router - now, and after your service has been transferred to Sky's network. For most customers, you won't need to change your router settings. For those that do, we'll be in touch to help guide you through the process.
    Can I make the move to Sky early?

Yes. If you'd rather not wait for your transfer later in the year - there are some exclusive Sky deals available to you if you make the move early. You can read more about these deals here. Your unique reference code for this site is: XXXXXXXX

What will happen to my services on the day of transfer?

On the day of the transfer, you should only be without your broadband for a matter of minutes. Where possible, we will switch your services during the night. We'll do everything we can to make the transfer as smooth as possible and our dedicated Switch Squad will be on hand to help, should you have any questions. If you don't already have a phone service with O2 then you won't be expected to take Sky's phone service.

What happens next?

For the time being, you don't need to do a thing. We'll give you at least one month's notice and send regular reminders nearer your transfer day. If you'd like to discuss making the move over to Sky earlier, you can give us a call on 08442 411 225

To find out more, including details of how you can contact Sky and O2, go to www.sky.com/O2customers

We'll be in touch ahead of the switch with a letter containing all the details of your new service.

We look forward to welcoming you to Sky.
    The Sky Broadband Team
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Found the email and got my offer code now, it had gone into my "SPAM" box...

This is the email:

All I got was:
    Hello XXXXX,

As you may well know, we've now bought O2 and BE home broadband and home phone businesses, and we're really excited to welcome you to Sky.

We'll be bringing your services over to Sky's network starting later this year. Until then, you'll continue to get exactly the same home broadband and phone service (if you have it with O2 or BE) as you do now. Right now, you don't need to do a thing.

If you have any questions, you can find more information and details on how to contact Sky here

We'll shortly be sending you a welcome pack in the post, which will explain what's happening in more detail. But for now we just wanted to say hello.

Kind Regards,
    Sky Home Communications Team

That was May 6th... the 'welcome pack' was just a leaflet which didn't say much more than that
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What if there is no sky network in a Be/O2 area? i can't see it myself as Sky have covered a lot more than BE did, but there may be a area where sky have not gone to and yet Be have?
    Forum Member
    Well, I've sampled the famous Sky (or contractor) customer service already!

As part of this deal I was due to have my Sky TV installed today between 8am and 1pm. I had a call at 3.27pm to say the engineer has phoned in sick and it won't be happening! Apparently it takes over 7 hours to realise that they can't get another engineer!

They sure know how to keep customers happy. A call earlier this morning and I would have understood - these thing happen. Roll on Friday - I just love twiddling my thumbs.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    After switching to Sky online last night and taking advantage of their offer, this morning I was bombarded with text messages and eventually a phone call from a worried o2 customer service rep.

"We have been told you want to get you home phone from someone else, please call us to prevent your account being suspended - and another for Broadband.

I explained I was taking the offer from Sky and they apologised and said it was a mistake and the texts were all automated, I don't need to do anything further. The CSR seemed very stressed out and said they'd had a lot of calls like mine recently.

Hilarious but annoying. Customer Service FAIL!!