Crazy housing market

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 92
Forum Member
Is anyone else experiencing a crazy property market at the moment. My girlfriend and I have been looking on and off for a while now.

The problems we're experiencing are properties going within 12 hours of coming on the market, for about £15k over the asking price

We received a call from an agent on Wednesday, said we'd like to arrange a viewing, he comes back any says it's sold....they didnt even have time to write the particulars.....

This is the 5th time in as many weeks that this has happened.

Is this a national thing, or just the Cambridgeshire area?

Comments

• Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    Nope. Our house has been on the market a couple of weeks now, 11 viewings and no offers.

From what i can see the houses for sale seem to be sticking around quite a while unless they are substantially undercutting the competition.

South East btw....
  • What name??What name?? Posts: 26,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's gone loopy again. I've started getting cards politely asking to buy my place again like before 2008. People trying to cut out the agents and get a leg up having viewed another one on the street and missed out. Clever plan!
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    anglian wrote: »
    Is anyone else experiencing a crazy property market at the moment. My girlfriend and I have been looking on and off for a while now.

The problems we're experiencing are properties going within 12 hours of coming on the market, for about £15k over the asking price

We received a call from an agent on Wednesday, said we'd like to arrange a viewing, he comes back any says it's sold....they didnt even have time to write the particulars.....

It's the same round here as well. Although not all houses for sale go that quick. Depends if the asking price is realistic.

Housing booms usually begin in London, then spread to East Anglia/counties to the North and West of London, up into the Midlands.
  • gulliverfoylegulliverfoyle Posts: 6,318
    Forum Member
    it will all crash after the election when the interest rates head back up

as planned
  • TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's another bubble. This government has learned nothing from the mistakes made in the last.
  • tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

We looking in the south east area of the M25, we saw one come on rightmove last Saturday around 10am, at about 2ish we phoned up to book in for the viewing day they had mentioned on the website to be told he had 2 offers already. So yes, we are having the same problem completely but made worse by the fact that we have a property to sell and the market here is not quite the same as London so we're not as attractive to sellers as you are!
  • Turnbull2000Turnbull2000 Posts: 7,588
    Forum Member
    It's entirely rational. Property is in chronic short supply, and the Bank of England and government have taken every possible effort to ensure demand is a high as possible and the cost of borrowing is as cheap as possible. Result = surging house prices once again.

That the Bank of England yesterday explicitly stated that interest rates will be kept low to support the housing market, and they view the current trajectory as a 'return to normal' says it all. Pensions and other productive investments will be annihilated IMO over the coming years due to all these measures to boost house prices.
  • tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    It's another bubble. This government has learned nothing from the mistakes made in the last.

I agree, why buy a house now because when NOT if the crash comes you will be able to buy a whole street and become a buy to let landlord
  • pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I put a house on the market about a month ago, expecting it to sit for at least several months without an offer. After a week there was an offer and now there's a bidding war going on well over the asking price :confused: not that I'm complaining of course, it's definitely a relief.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tim59 wrote: »
    I agree, why buy a house now because when NOT if the crash comes you will be able to buy a whole street and become a buy to let landlord

Hopefully an ethical one :D
  • tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    Hopefully an ethical one :D

With a statement like that, I believe you would be
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tim59 wrote: »
    With a statement like that, I believe you would be

I am a landlord as I inherited a house but I am a very easy going one. Don't charge too much rent, am flexible in it's collection, take care of any issues that come up as quickly as I can etc etc.
  • Mitten KittenMitten Kitten Posts: 1,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am in London and it is bonkers. I got an estate agent in to value mine, then due to work, couldn't put it on the market. 3 months later, a second agent valued it at £70k above the first. They held an open day, 6 asking price offers and three which were £70k over the new asking price. I couldn't refuse! Kept thinking it was all going to go belly up, but we have exchanged and complete next week. I am off to the countryside and out of London where property is a bit cheaper. I feel sorry for anyone trying to buy here now. The prices are ridiculous. Great for us sellers, but not so good for those just starting out.
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am in London and it is bonkers. I got an estate agent in to value mine, then due to work, couldn't put it on the market. 3 months later, a second agent valued it at £70k above the first. They held an open day, 6 asking price offers and three which were £70k over the new asking price. I couldn't refuse! Kept thinking it was all going to go belly up, but we have exchanged and complete next week. I am off to the countryside and out of London where property is a bit cheaper. I feel sorry for anyone trying to buy here now. The prices are ridiculous. Great for us sellers, but not so good for those just starting out.

One of the Sunday shows yesterday was talking about London prices doubling by 2019! Might`ve been worth waiting.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,916
    Forum Member
    Certainly not going loopy in the North. My neighbours just sold their house for 15% below asking price after being on the market for 2 years.
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,526
    Forum Member

There is a localised and patchy bubble mainly in London and surounding areas (with as usual a few hot spots a bit further afield). House prices declined in the North East of England for example in the last quarter, and surprisingly even declined in a few of the London boroughs.

Most of the London bubble is caused by an influx of foreign money and that's why the B of E can't do anything to stop it. But of course it suits the Government's interests to give the impression that all property owners are benefiting from the housing bubble, when only a minority are.

Average house prices in England and Wales are still 6% below their 2007 peak and property nationwide has been a poor investment. Outside London, it's been one of the best possible ways to lose money from then to now.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Round Cambridge itself seems absolutely bonkers. I don't know how anyone affords to buy there - they get no London weighting in their jobs, but house prices are just as bad.
    Certainly not going loopy in the North. My neighbours just sold their house for 15% below asking price after being on the market for 2 years.

True. Sigh. I am lucky enough to have buy to let properties that have nearly halved in value over the last 10 years, and are now in substantial negative equity. If you want a cheap house, find a decaying ex mining town with no jobs. :(
    Forum Member
    Round Cambridge itself seems absolutely bonkers. I don't know how anyone affords to buy there - they get no London weighting in their jobs, but house prices are just as bad.

True. Sigh. I am lucky enough to have buy to let properties that have nearly halved in value over the last 10 years, and are now in substantial negative equity. If you want a cheap house, find a decaying ex mining town with no jobs. :(

Sorry i cant help but smile at that. BTLers are one of the main problems with the housing market. I wish all the rest of them where in the same boat as you.

Our house has now sold btw for just under asking price. Problem is now we cant find anything we want to buy. There's no much out there and what is is going for crazy prices...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vast_Girth wrote: »
    Sorry i cant help but smile at that. BTLers are one of the main problems with the housing market. I wish all the rest of them where in the same boat as you.

Well thanks. I mean, it's not as if you are prejudiced or anything.

I am not a problem with the housing market. I bought cheap, unmodernised properties, did them up, and let them to vulnerable tenants who would otherwise be homeless - substance abusers, ex prisoners etc. None of them would be in a position to buy a flat in any circumstances. A lot of them have a long history of homelessness. They are all on housing benefit, and with tremendous care and dedication we often break even on our costs. To be honest, I am burnt out with the stress and worry, the night-time phone calls, the endless defaults - often for no other reason than that tenants can't be bothered to walk down to the housing office and see them - the constant damage (which insurance doesn't cover), the death threats when we have to evict someone, cleaning out flats full of used needles and excrement. If I could give the whole thing up I would do it like a shot.

We were a bit starry eyed when we started, definitely; my husband and I had both worked with prisoners, and wanted to help them re-settle and stay out of trouble. Often we have. But no one expected house prices to fall by 50% over 10 years; we assumed that in time we could sell up and retire. It is pretty stressful thinking that we might have to deal with this for the rest of our lives, then have nothing to leave our children because of the debts.

But thank you for wishing ill on me.
  • PolominiPolomini Posts: 533
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    House prices aren't doing well in the north east where live. I sold a lovely house in Kent six years ago to move here to look after my elderly dad. The house in Kent has gone up by a substantial amount; the house here, which I've had on the market for six months, has gone down hugely, despite having been upgraded at considerable cost. At £360K asking price, I'm taking a £70K loss on what it's cost me, and the only offer I've had so far is £270K, from a couple who haven't even put their own house on the market. I don't know whether I'm ever going to be able to move at this rate.

Sorry i cant help but smile at that. BTLers are one of the main problems with the housing market. I wish all the rest of them were in the same boat as you.

Sorry, but that's just unnecessarily spiteful.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Polomini wrote: »
    House prices aren't doing well in the north east where live. I sold a lovely house in Kent six years ago to move here to look after my elderly dad. The house in Kent has gone up by a substantial amount; the house here, which I've had on the market for six months, has gone down hugely, despite having been upgraded at considerable cost. At £360K asking price, I'm taking a £70K loss on what it's cost me, and the only offer I've had so far is £270K, from a couple who haven't even put their own house on the market. I don't know whether I'm ever going to be able to move at this rate.

Sorry, but that's just unnecessarily spiteful.

Thanks . :) *waits for vast girth to blame buy to let landlords for forcing prices down in the north east*
  • JB3JB3 Posts: 9,308
    Forum Member

I think Cambridge is a full employment hot spot.
    Forum Member
    Well thanks. I mean, it's not as if you are prejudiced or anything.

I am not a problem with the housing market. I bought cheap, unmodernised properties, did them up, and let them to vulnerable tenants who would otherwise be homeless - substance abusers, ex prisoners etc. None of them would be in a position to buy a flat in any circumstances. A lot of them have a long history of homelessness. They are all on housing benefit, and with tremendous care and dedication we often break even on our costs. To be honest, I am burnt out with the stress and worry, the night-time phone calls, the endless defaults - often for no other reason than that tenants can't be bothered to walk down to the housing office and see them - the constant damage (which insurance doesn't cover), the death threats when we have to evict someone, cleaning out flats full of used needles and excrement. If I could give the whole thing up I would do it like a shot.

We were a bit starry eyed when we started, definitely; my husband and I had both worked with prisoners, and wanted to help them re-settle and stay out of trouble. Often we have. But no one expected house prices to fall by 50% over 10 years; we assumed that in time we could sell up and retire. It is pretty stressful thinking that we might have to deal with this for the rest of our lives, then have nothing to leave our children because of the debts.

But thank you for wishing ill on me.

If what you say it true, you gambled and lost. Sell up, cut your losses and move on.

You still own several houses when many people in this country cant even afford a 1 bed flat. Please don't go looking for sympathy. You are one of the lucky ones!

Personally i think there should be a massive windfall tax on anyone that owns more than 1 home. Of course this will never happen as that includes most of the MPs!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If what you say it true, you gambled and lost. Sell up, cut your losses and move on.

You still own several houses when many people in this country cant even afford a 1 bed flat. Please don't go looking for sympathy. You are one of the lucky ones!

Personally i think there should be a massive windfall tax on anyone that owns more than 1 home. Of course this will never happen as that includes most of the MPs!

You appear not to have bothered to read what I wrote. It is diffficult to debate with someone who answers a post without reading it.

Still. I cannot 'sell up' because I have no way on earth of raising enough money to buy myself out.

No sane person would think I was 'one of the lucky ones', unless your definition of 'luck' is deranged. I am irrevocably tied to a hugely time consuming and draining business that has made a net loss every year except one (when we made £2000 for thousands of hours of work); this is money, already taxed, that has to be taken from our very ordinary household income to keep the business afloat. (My husband is retired; I am part time and on a low income).

YOu appeared in your original and nasty post to be blaming me for inflating house prices so that other people cannot afford to buy. I would like you to explain how I have inflated house prices in an area where prices have fallen by nearly 50% over ten years, and within that figure, there are houses and flats that are almost unsellable at any price. There is no property I own where the estimated selling price is less than 8 or 9 thousand pounds less than the mortgage. That would be almost my entire annual income used up to sell one flat.

As I said, none of our tenants would ever be able to buy a property. We are not depriving long-term homeless people who have been in and out of prison for the last 25 years of their chance to get a mortgage and a sit-on lawn mower. We were starry eyed, as I said, when we started. We knew that the single biggest factor in determining whether a prisoner reoffends is whether he has a stable address. We would provide stable addresses, clean, safe, well maintained, and priced exactly at the housing benefit level so they had no money to find. The profit margin was always going to be wafer thin. But we misjudged the shiftlessness of some of the people; they don't bother to put in forms, they disappear, they sell their boilers and fake a burglary, they will happily run up a thousand pounds of arrears rather than walk down to the housing office, a distance of perhaps half a mile, and they lie and lie and lie. As you can see, my eyes are a little less starry now.

We HAVE provided homes for people who would otherwise have been homeless, and I am proud to have done so. We have had our successes. Ex cons are often tired, and if they can stay off the drink and drugs, want a quiet life. There are tenants we would happily keep until they die, unless the ratio between costs and rents gets grotesquely disadvantageous. But if I could sell a property, at a loss (taking into account the work we have done) but clearing the mortgage every time one fell vacant, I would be a happy, happy person.

I am not sure what money you would like to impose your 'massive windfall tax' on. My husband's pension? My very modest earnings from my job? My Tesco vouchers? My losses?

But as I said, it's not as if you are prejudiced or anything. Everyone who rents out a property MUST be evil, and should be punished as severely as possible. I mean if there was no rental property, everyone would effortlessly buy, wouldn't they?