Options

Need immediate support

Melp26Melp26 Posts: 1,413
Forum Member
✭✭✭
We've just moved house and our baby is really struggling to get to sleep. He's been in bed since 10 to 7 and still screaming.

He normally goes straight to sleep at home having been trained using controlled crying. He was hysterical wen I put him down so I went back and comforted him but he was still hysterical do u ended up letting him go to sleep on me but every time u tried to put him down he woke and screamed.

So I tried putting him in his cot but staying in the room, he got more worked up than I've ever seen him so after about 15 mins I gave that up as a bad job and went back to cuddling. Same prob wen trying to get him down tho.

He now completely overtired bless him. Currently trying cc as I don't know what else to do. It's been most half an hour, I've been in every 10mins. Feel really awful and guilty :(

Comments

• Options
    Rhino HornRhino Horn Posts: 1,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How old is he?

Couple of things I reckon...If he is generally good at going to sleep then I reckon this could be something else..teething pain? Also could be the upheaval of moving.

Personally I would go in his room, pick him up in the dark and just cuddle him. When he goes to sleep sit there for another 15 mins until in a deeper sleep. Fingers crossed he will then stay asleep.

There's no easy answers but he will eventually go to sleep
  • Options
    RandomSallyRandomSally Posts: 7,072
    Forum Member
    Ok. Keep calm, even though that's easier said and done. He will pick up on your anxiety though so try not to show it.
    New house, new surroundings, lots of things happening different to usual so it's probably no surprise.
    If it was me I'd just let him sleep where he wants for now and restart the controlled crying once you're settled in fully in your new home.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for replying, he's 17 months nearly. I think one if the problems we unfortunately didn't think about in advance is that the curtains in his new room let all the light in it's really bright in there.

Husband was just gearing up to go in and put bin bags over the windows while I take him out the room for a bit when he suddenly stopped crying :) that was ten mins ago and no more noise so far. The old tried n tested cc worked it seems, wished I'd just done that first instead of faffing around for over an hour!!!

We'll expect an early get up with the sun rise and buy a black out blind tomorrow!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for your reply randomsally, I haven't felt so useless since the early days lol!

Feel a tad dramatic for my op now that he's quietly sleeping but I was starting to struggle and ds always comes up trumps in these situations :) I feel a lot better now. If he has me up in the night I'll update u!
  • Options
    Rhino HornRhino Horn Posts: 1,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glad he's asleep. I've been in exactly the same boat as you and sometimes it just helps to vent it out. Fingers crossed for a lie in!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for understanding, maybe I can get some tea now, it's been a looooong day.
  • Options
    Deb ArkleDeb Arkle Posts: 12,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We've all been there Melp, don't beat yourself up over it! :)
  • Options
    merrybiscuitmerrybiscuit Posts: 648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    was just about to comment! with out little one (15mth) i just start bedfime routine. sometimes i get him a little food of drink!

that said i've never done controlled crying and let him fall asleep on me. now he will go into his cot awake!
  • Options
    RandomSallyRandomSally Posts: 7,072
    Forum Member
    Melp26 wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply randomsally, I haven't felt so useless since the early days lol!

Feel a tad dramatic for my op now that he's quietly sleeping but I was starting to struggle and ds always comes up trumps in these situations :) I feel a lot better now. If he has me up in the night I'll update u!

That's what the little sods do to us! They lull you into a false sense of security then throw a curve ball in and have you tearing your hair out and doubting yourself! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for you support everyone, you've been great as always. I've had my tea and am now lying in bed trying to wind down enough to sleep. I'm shattered but my mind is buzzing with all the things still left to do.

Only heard one one little peep from babs tho so hopefully he won't be up all night x
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If he doesn't normally have problems settling i would say that its almost certainly the change of surroundings that is causing it which will get better. Don't dismiss the possibility of medical reasons though.
  • Options
    jackoljackol Posts: 7,887
    Forum Member
    Melp26 wrote: »
    We've just moved house and our baby is really struggling to get to sleep. He's been in bed since 10 to 7 and still screaming.

He normally goes straight to sleep at home having been trained using controlled crying. He was hysterical wen I put him down so I went back and comforted him but he was still hysterical do u ended up letting him go to sleep on me but every time u tried to put him down he woke and screamed.

So I tried putting him in his cot but staying in the room, he got more worked up than I've ever seen him so after about 15 mins I gave that up as a bad job and went back to cuddling. Same prob wen trying to get him down tho.

He now completely overtired bless him. Currently trying cc as I don't know what else to do. It's been most half an hour, I've been in every 10mins. Feel really awful and guilty :(

Therein is your problem. You cannot train a baby !! Even the nutters on Mumsnet have said Controlled Crying is both contentious and controversial
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lol, I beg to differ jackol. I used a consistent wind down routine and the version of cc where u git back to settle baby every few mins and it rotted a treat. He now has no trouble going to sleep on his own. In fact last night it was only wen I stopped trying to hug and comfort him and just went back to cc that he settled. Consistency and routine is craved by babies and young children.

Of course u should never do it with a young baby or a poorly baby but once a good solid diet is being taken and as long as baby is not ill or in pain it's fine to use the technique.

Perhaps trained was the wrong choice of wording. I have used cc to teach him how to go to sleep by himself.