Mel Giedroyc: A Disappointment?

21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
Forum Member
The ineptitude of BBC3's Semi Final coverage is well known, but I thought they'd found a winning formula this year by bringing in renowned Eurovish (no) fan Mel Giedroyc.

Awkward.

I really feel she was as bad as Scott at times and tried way too hard to be wacky, kooky, zany and all of those other horrid words irritants afford themselves to sound like they have a personality. I'm a big fan of her work elsewhere, but I really don't think she fit the role this year (although she still was a veritable Katie Boyle next to Scott Mills...)

I'd love the BBC just to go in for a penny and bring in Ana Matronic now ... giving her the radio gig only seems more than a little churlish, especially when you consider she was the sole saving grace of the 2013 semis.

Comments

• Miss ListerMiss Lister Posts: 289
    Forum Member
    Maybe I'm in the minority but I loved Mel and Scott. I'm not a fan of Mills usually but he made me laugh. I have fast forwarded through all other semi finals with Sara Cox and Ana Matronic (I know she was liked but I just didn't feel it). I really hope they have Mel back again next year. The only time I was slightly annoyed was when she spoke over the 'Big 5' videos on semi final 1. I just wanted to hear the ruddy songs! Apart from that, loved it.
  • bitchboybluebitchboyblue Posts: 2,778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought she was awful, and Scott was even worse than usual.

There is a difference between gentle ribbing, and downright rude and offensive remarks. Since Terry Wogan, commentators seem to think they need to outdo themselves with nasty barbs about contestants and countries.

It becomes unbearable with the results when Graham comes out with things like - 'ok ukraine are getting 12 here' not noticing that they had already got 4 or something. That happened several times last year, and its infuriating.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would add that if you are to look at the comments San Marino have recieved each year over the last 5 years, you would be forgiven for thinking the UK had a personal vendetta against the country. Its rude and unfair (admittedly last nights song was terrible, but graham was rude about last years entry in the final)
  • clm2071clm2071 Posts: 6,644
    Forum Member
    I turned off, hated her speaking over everthing.

I agree with the OP, she seemed to be trying far too hard to be flippant and irreverant
  • sugarlequesnesugarlequesne Posts: 394
    Forum Member
    I used to like her, but last night she was grim. The 'follow the yellow brick road' 'gag' after Slovenia's cracking song killed it for me.

It's true, they feel they have to make some Wildean witty remark after each and every performance - and simply reveal how unwitty they (Mills was predictably just as bad) are
  • AcerBenAcerBen Posts: 21,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She wasn't bad, but she wasn't particularly good either. I wouldn't ask her back.
  • Edwin OkliEdwin Okli Posts: 4,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it possible to listen to Ana's coverage on catchup? Edit: I've found it.
  • DamienSDamienS Posts: 12,444
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I liked her. Her on her own was better. She just needs to talk less when commentators are talking. Graham normally gets this right.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to like her, but last night she was grim. The 'follow the yellow brick road' 'gag' after Slovenia's cracking song killed it for me.

It's true, they feel they have to make some Wildean witty remark after each and every performance - and simply reveal how unwitty they (Mills was predictably just as bad) are

The slovenia remark was the only one i laughed at last night, sorry :(
  • wns_195wns_195 Posts: 13,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ana Matronic would be even more annoying. She isn't evven European anyway.

Why do they need two people? Just have somebody who can give us some background on each song. We can form our own opinions and they can read some of those out. We don't need their opinnions.
  • Edwin OkliEdwin Okli Posts: 4,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wns_195 wrote: »
    Ana Matronic would be even more annoying. She isn't evven European anyway.

She doesn't even go here! Nor were plenty of the competitors for the UK. It's knowledge and enthusiasm that counts. And yes, the commentators are allowed to be enthusiastic about all the songs.
  • thmsthms Posts: 61,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i think she is great and should replace graham norton

graham norton should do the semi-finals with scott mills
  • Deb ArkleDeb Arkle Posts: 12,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The slovenia remark was the only one i laughed at last night, sorry :(
    Me too, I loved that bit. :D
  • LiammaiLLiammaiL Posts: 55
    Forum Member
    Negative negative negative.

I just loved her

light hearted, fun, coherent, made me laugh several times.

she's adorable.

I hate the 'love to hate' culture
  • 2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    She is too cringeworthy for my liking, and WHO did her make up? were they having a joke on her?
  • KozmicBluesKozmicBlues Posts: 2,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2shy2007 wrote: »
    She is too cringeworthy for my liking, and WHO did her make up? were they having a joke on her?

The same person who did Molly's.
  • trevvytrev21trevvytrev21 Posts: 16,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Usually like her but that was very catty re: Slovenia. Even for us.
  • TheGrumpWizardTheGrumpWizard Posts: 1,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you thought she was bad last night you couldn't have seen the first semi final. I thought she had toned things down quite a bit after that perhaps as a result of the criticism she got.

As mentioned above I think she was still trying too hard to me smart but she wasn't nearly as annoying and 'listen to me me me' as on Tuesday.
  • ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    I'm not particularly fussed because I pay close attention only to the performances and the results.

The bits inbetween I half listen to whilst reading and posting here.
  • 21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
    Forum Member
    If you thought she was bad last night you couldn't have seen the first semi final. I thought she had toned things down quite a bit after that perhaps as a result of the criticism she got.

As mentioned above I think she was still trying too hard to me smart but she wasn't nearly as annoying and 'listen to me me me' as on Tuesday.

I watched the first semi final ;-)

You're right, she wasn't as bad but still pretty overbearing.
  • mattwmattw Posts: 1,505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe I'm in the minority but I loved Mel and Scott. I'm not a fan of Mills usually but he made me laugh.

Seems I may also be in the minority in loving Scott and thinking Scott and Mel worked pretty well over the two semi finals. Not perfect (such as gratingly refering to Eurovision as "Eurovish," but generally good).

For me Scott's love for modern Eurovision has shone through over the years he has been doing the BBC Three and long may it continue (in my opinion).
  • MavisConsuelaMavisConsuela Posts: 1,331
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scott Mills is brilliant, I would love him to take over Graham Norton should he ever leave. Mel was great too, you can't deny they both love Eurovision
  • LenitiveLenitive Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I disagree, I really enjoyed Scott and Mel together. I couldn't stand watching when Sara was presenting, but Mel has a really lovely sense of humour and seems more professional. I liked Scott and Mel riffing off one another.
  • Andy_Smith1Andy_Smith1 Posts: 4,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Both were brilliant
  • thmsthms Posts: 61,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cringe is fine better than being cool