Options

Is Big Brother 4 really that boring?

Comments

• Options
    J SwiftJ Swift Posts: 1,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    However much they mess up BB today .. nothing ... NOTHING ... has been anywhere near as bad as BB4

BB4 was astonishingly bad TV .. Literally nothing happened .. And they were committed to live feeds and things - it was like watching CCTV footage from an old people's home
  • Options
    SegaGamerSegaGamer Posts: 29,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BB4 was thought of as boring at the time. But it was following on from 3 very successful series of the show. Compared to now i bet it's brilliant.
  • Options
    glashalffullglashalffull Posts: 153
    Forum Member
    BB1 was unique and ground breaking, BB 2 was quite simply Brilliant and BB 3 was as good as it was ever going to get, BB 4 had no chance of keeping up the standard, but the formular was similar and it was reasonably entertaining,,,, all series after had no chance of emulating the peak, but at least they kept it roughly the same, so whitch one was better is purely subjective...... CH5 are just tinkering for the sake of it, they cant improve, no one can, just get it back to what it was and keep the viewers and the advertisers happy
  • Options
    zilchzilch Posts: 1,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This current edition of the series has made me watch BB2 again, which I think is a thousand times better!
  • Options
    juliadesignsjuliadesigns Posts: 6,105
    Forum Member
    BB4 was the first one I watched from start to finish ( I joined BB3 halfway through as my son was watching it and I got. drawn in). I really enjoyed it as BB was very strict in those days and after Fed failed a couple of tasks for them they were living on absolute basics for around 4 weeks which wouldn't have helped with energy levels.

I loved the people watching in a nice gentle atmosphere myself :D
  • Options
    J SwiftJ Swift Posts: 1,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SegaGamer wrote: »
    BB4 was thought of as boring at the time. But it was following on from 3 very successful series of the show. Compared to now i bet it's brilliant.

Watch BB4 and see what you think ..

Seriously more happened in the first day of this series than in the whole of BB4 .. It was phenomenally bad

The highlights of the whole series were an awkward meal between two housemates who sort of flirted .. A woman saying she could kill a man with her finger .. John Tickle blaming the viewers for making terrible eviction decisions .. and Cameron going to Africa for a week, and doing nothing there either ... It was painful viewing ... Imagine live feeds of a doctor's waiting room, then a highlights show that's not much better
  • Options
    Dr.FeverDr.Fever Posts: 459
    Forum Member
    It wasn't a great series, but worth a watch (if nothing else on tv)
    I enjoyed it... mainly cos of Federico ;)
  • Options
    CallousCallous Posts: 11,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoyed it. Unfortunately some of the housemates with the most potential were voted out early (but I'd also say that was when producers really started pushing nomination/eviction twists...which were directly responsible for some of those housemates going early)

I will say that outside of the nom/eviction meddling..it was one of the best produced and structured series there has ever been.

Strong tasks over a number of days and the weekly reward room with a challenge just before. You had a structured weekly event on pretty much every day...you knew what you were tuning in for and the show was better for it Imo (even if the housemates weren't the most lively bunch). The tasks and rewards now are pretty damn weak and the show just seems to make it up as it goes along.
  • Options
    skinnergateskinnergate Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    I was ill that summer and watched bb4 uk and bb4 usa all summer long all day long. I thoroughly enjoyed both but the over reaction to the poor viewing figures for the uk show that summer certainly turned BB into a freak show thereafter.
    I kinda miss the normality of those guys back then. I could watch live feed all day in 2003 whereas now the sixty minutes highlights is bearable.....but only just.
  • Options
    Penny CrayonPenny Crayon Posts: 36,158
    Forum Member
    I loved BB4 for it's gentleness and 'ordinariness'. It was like tuning in (lots of LF) to catch up with your mates. They played games and had great conversations. There were only a couple of rows and dear old Gos would cook the dinner and sleep for the rest of the day.

It was a really nice lay out to the house. The bedrooms were still separate (boys/girls) and you'd get some really great bedtime conversations and laughs without all the screeching and bed hopping all through the night.

I loved it.

Ewar Woowar anyone?
  • Options
    ABCZYXABCZYX Posts: 12,107
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    J Swift wrote: »

Seriously more happened in the first day of this series than in the whole of BB4 .. It was phenomenally bad

The highlights of the whole series were an awkward meal between two housemates who sort of flirted .. A woman saying she could kill a man with her finger .. John Tickle blaming the viewers for making terrible eviction decisions .. and Cameron going to Africa for a week, and doing nothing there either ... It was painful viewing ... Imagine live feeds of a doctor's waiting room, then a highlights show that's not much better

I think that's a little unfair. In today's BB, HLs just seem to mainly focus on BB deliberately stirring things up between the HMs and doing whatever they can to try and cause arguments by telling them what people have been saying about them and telling them the negative opinions the public have on them. With ALL the first four series, (maybe BB3 to a lesser extent), the HLs just focussed on the normal everyday conversations and opinions that the HMs had. It wasn't just BB4 that the HLs focussed on these type of things. We would see the HMs naturally getting along, with no interference from BB. There were arguments and bitching, but nothing like what we have today. BB would sometimes give them conversation starters where in turn, they would give their thoughts. Some of these would be things like, "what is your biggest regret?". This would let us find out more about each HM and help us form natural opinions on them.
    Callous wrote: »
    I will say that outside of the nom/eviction meddling..it was one of the best produced and structured series there has ever been.

Strong tasks over a number of days and the weekly reward room with a challenge just before. You had a structured weekly event on pretty much every day...you knew what you were tuning in for and the show was better for it Imo (even if the housemates weren't the most lively bunch). The tasks and rewards now are pretty damn weak and the show just seems to make it up as it goes along.

I agree. There were some good tasks, like the pedalo task back in Week 1, for example. All the HMs had to work together as part of a team, non-stop, for 72 hours. Very simple, but difficult at the same time. We'd never get a task nowadays where BB would make the HMs all work together to achieve a common goal. Today, it would only be, "which HM said this about you", or copying IAC by having them eat and drink disgusting concoctions.

And I loved the Reward Room. A secret room has been done to death now, but back then, it was a first. We found out about a secret room at the same time as the HMs and I can remember feeling really excited watching. I would always look forward to see just how different the room would look each week.

And yes, almost each day was more or less structured for the earliest BBs. Saturday was the Reward Room challenge, Sunday was the day they got their task, Monday was when they nominated, Tuesday was the nom results, Wednesday was the HMs finding out the task results, Thursday was I think, just for the HMs to try and enjoy their possible last full day in the house and Friday was the eviction.
    I loved BB4 for it's gentleness and 'ordinariness'. It was like tuning in (lots of LF) to catch up with your mates. They played games and had great conversations. There were only a couple of rows and dear old Gos would cook the dinner and sleep for the rest of the day.

I much prefer a BB where the HMs are actually likeable and relatable. If the HMs are generally likeable and are genuinely having fun and enjoying their time in the house, then I enjoy watching the show. This is why I find it hard to enjoy C5's BB. If the HMs are too out there and too extreme, I don't really like them as much. I preferred it when the HMs were usually normal, relatable people, but at the same time, had something that made them stand out.
    It was a really nice lay out to the house.

Yes, the BB4 house is my favourite out of all the houses we've had. Absolutely stunning and gorgeous and really cosy looking. Not showy like on today's BB, but it looked and felt like a home:

http://cdn.bbspy.co.uk/images/uploads/feature_house_bb4.jpg

http://bigbrother247.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/BB4House.jpg
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    J Swift wrote: »

I have already seen it. When it aired i don't remember being bored and i never got pissed at the show like i do these days thats for sure.
  • Options
    yhtrownuyhtrownu Posts: 1,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BB4 was dull. There were some episodes where you cut from one person doing nothing to another person doing nothing to another person doing nothing. It was like watching people sunbathe.

In Big Brother History, it's highly significant. Senior producer, Phil Edgar Jones said "It was boring. We'll never do one like it again." And the Producers ramped up their meddling massively after that.

Big Brother 5 was so provocative, it erupted in fights, which made the Producers retreat a little (but only a little), by warning housemates when their behaviour was getting out of line.

Essentially, Big Brother 4 created the show we watch today.
  • Options
    ABCZYXABCZYX Posts: 12,107
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yhtrownu wrote: »
    In Big Brother History, it's highly significant. Senior producer, Phil Edgar Jones said "It was boring. We'll never do one like it again." And the Producers ramped up their meddling massively after that.

Where does he say that? I've tried looking and I can't see it anywhere.
  • Options
    hendollhendoll Posts: 5,646
    Forum Member
    Yes, it was really really boring. I just had a flash image of poor Demot trying desperately to think of something vaguely interesting to report on BBLB. It was DIRE. Guess producers were so nervous after the Jade Goody hate that they went safe. That changed with BB5 - best BB ever. If you want to re-watch, do that one. Made me roll eyes tonight when they talked on BBOTS about the 'most explosive' blah blah. Nothing compares to Fight Night on BB5 and never will. But I guess we're talking now about different shows altogether. BB is a very different beast now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yhtrownu wrote: »
    BB4 was dull. There were some episodes where you cut from one person doing nothing to another person doing nothing to another person doing nothing. It was like watching people sunbathe.

Big Brother 5 was so provocative, it erupted in fights, which made the Producers retreat a little (but only a little), by warning housemates when their behaviour was getting out of line.

Essentially, Big Brother 4 created the show we watch today.

Although Big Brother 5 had meddling it was nothing like it is now. We had the bedsit, which was designed to cause conflict, but most of the conflict that happened throughout this series happened naturally. Back then we still had proper tasks, no outside opinions or information going into the house, proper nominations, tasks weren't set up to cause arguments, what happened in the diary room STAYED in the diary room, less inane twists and they wouldn't switch who was nominated just to stop certain people from leaving either.

So although we had meddling, it wasn't anywhere close to the kind of meddling we have now. Once or twice a series is enough, but we get it every other day now.

BB4 didn't create the show we have today, Channel 5 did.
  • Options
    StykerStyker Posts: 49,867
    Forum Member
    It was one of the best! Seriously it was for me. The house was brilliant as it was big, had a reward room, they had very good hard tasks and the house mates WERE pretty cool, and interesting and funny especially Jon Tickle and Federico was quite funny too. There was good eye candy in Nush, Tanya and the women loved Ray.

In a nutshell, those who didn't like it are the ones who like arguments and what is so entertaining about arguments?! I mean to those of you who like arguments, do you think when you're in a argument "WOW this is really exiting and is entertaining me"?!
  • Options
    troynuncdicittroynuncdicit Posts: 372
    Forum Member
    I'd like to watch BB4. As far watching a series 10 years after it aired, BB1 is boring. I can see how it would have been compelling because of the concept, but what actually happened compared to BB5-8, was uneventful. It did get increasingly interesting up until Nick's ejection, but losing Sada, Andrew, Caroline, Nick and Nichola left us with a bunch of dullards. They were so falsely nice I think :D

How does BB1 compare to BB4?

BB1 isn't boring at all and Anna, Melanie, and Darren certainly do not qualify as dullards. The series holds up surprisingly well even in 2015, much better than BB3 imo.
  • Options
    jez37jez37 Posts: 757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I personally have never watched BB5, only because BB4 was such a let down for me. I remember thinking to myself, this has been done to death now.
    Does anyone know were i could watch BB5?
  • Options
    Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Barracute wrote: »
    It wasn't boring at all, just some people on here can't get over Cameron winning.

It contains the genuinely biggest twist in BB history, i mean swapping hms from two BB's on opposite sides of the world, C5 can't even dream of topping that!

Cameron winning was irrelevant.

I seemed to remember that large swathes of people thought it was dull long before Cameron ever won it.

In fact, it's quite fitting that he won: dull series won by a dull HM.
  • Options
    hownwbrowncowhownwbrowncow Posts: 6,188
    Forum Member
    Redundant wrote: »
    where does everyone watch the old series?

Youtube.
  • Options
    jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 27,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jon Tickle singing while watering the garden is still something I remember.

Did the Bomb Scare, mean Gus got evicted on the Saturday
  • Options
    jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 27,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    touching on BB1.

Even back then the winners kinda had a claim to fame afterwards.

Craig, has done DIY shows all over the world, and can still be seen selling Paint Systems on Ideal World TV
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Styker wrote: »
    It was one of the best! Seriously it was for me. The house was brilliant as it was big, had a reward room, they had very good hard tasks and the house mates WERE pretty cool, and interesting and funny especially Jon Tickle and Federico was quite funny too. There was good eye candy in Nush, Tanya and the women loved Ray.

In a nutshell, those who didn't like it are the ones who like arguments and what is so entertaining about arguments?! I mean to those of you who like arguments, do you think when you're in a argument "WOW this is really exiting and is entertaining me"?!

Disagree completely. I hate arguments and contrived conflict and haven't watched a whole series since BB7 because of he manipulation which ruined he show for me but I still think BB4 was absolutely tedious.

The one scene I actually remember is where Ray threw the books into the diary room. The series was that dull that a man throwing books was probably the bit I remember most says it all for me.
  • Options
    BrigonBrigon Posts: 2,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    First half was good, it was the last few weeks (around the period Lisa got added to the house) that were dull. I made it all the way through, which is better than I managed in some of the recent celebrity series.