Carry On films- not a fan

Comments

• RetroMusicFanRetroMusicFan Posts: 6,673
    Forum Member
    :-D:-D:-D

Carry On films rule imo, Don't Lose Your Head and Convenience are my faves!

This thread is making me LOL!

:-D:-D:-D
  • Irma BuntIrma Bunt Posts: 1,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The late, great Ken Russell went to see one once and thought surely we can do better than this?

Very true. They really were f*cking awful.

Personally, I'd rather dig my own eyeballs out with a rusty spoon than endure a Ken Russell movie ever again.

Give me a Carry On any day.

Yes, they are vulgar, sexist, cheap and shoddily-made. Which is exactly why I love them. They're from their time, and of their time - before the cancer of political correctness sucked the fun out of everything.
  • Irma BuntIrma Bunt Posts: 1,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Camping/ khyber was definitely the seires high-point. Made back-to-back, with much the same cast.

They're definitely up there. But Convenience is the high-point for me. And Cleo, Cabby and Don't Lose Your Head are all better in my opinion.
  • day dreamerday dreamer Posts: 978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hate the Carry On films too and always have, but it appears you are not "allowed" to say so.

As for the person who berated the OP for starting a thread about something they don't like, people do it all the time! Could you imagine how mind numblingly boring forums would be if people didn't have a bit of a rant on occassion?
  • Grabid RanniesGrabid Rannies Posts: 4,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People who don't like Ken Russell films are probably extremely boring. How on Earth could someone not admire The Devils, and not enjoy the histrionic campery of the likes of Crimes Of Passion?? :confused:
  • day dreamerday dreamer Posts: 978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People who don't like Ken Russell films are probably extremely boring. How on Earth could someone not admire The Devils, and not enjoy the histrionic campery of the likes of Crimes Of Passion?? :confused:

Seriously? Taste in any sort of art, film included, is COMPLETELY subjective. Who do you think you are to call someone boring because they don't like something you do?
  • spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rogers and thomas were competent crowd pleasers. Who ken russell made films for, i dont know, but it wasn't cinema audiences.......
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Irma Bunt wrote: »
    Yes, they are vulgar, sexist, cheap and shoddily-made. Which is exactly why I love them. They're from their time, and of their time - before the cancer of political correctness sucked the fun out of everything.

Oh, bollocks to that. There are several decent British comedy films made before and after the Carry On series that are still fun to watch.

Examples: The Ladykillers, Genevieve, The Lavendar Hill Mob, The Man in the White Suit, Good Morning Boys, Doctor in the House, I'm All Right Jack, Kind Hearts and Coronets, The Smallest Show on Earth, The Mouse that Roared, One of Our Dinosaurs is Missing, etc.
  • Paul_BakerPaul_Baker Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    British comedy at its worst lousy acting like soap operas like watching paint dry i think.
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Two of my favourites.

But I like Carry Ons too, until Talbot Rothwell's retirement.
  • spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amanda Barrie, with that dipsy performance, taking a bath in milk, was far far sexier than Liz Taylor .......think what might have happened if they'd managed to use the the discarded sets of 2001 for 3 weeks ...........
  • Saxon BurySaxon Bury Posts: 2,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some of the dislike on this thread really shows that Carry On films have their knockers.
  • Paddy396Paddy396 Posts: 17
    Forum Member
    They remind me of Christmas time. My favourites are:

Carry On At Your Convenience
    Carry On Abroad
    Carry On Camping
    Carry On Cabby
    Carry On Loving
    Carry On Spying
    Carry On Don't Lose Your Head
  • St DabeocSt Dabeoc Posts: 3,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Foul
    Feet
    Smell
    ......Something Horrible
  • sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,010
    Forum Member
    I only liked the early Carry On films - Sergeant, Constable, Teacher, Nurse, Cabby. In fact I think I went off them the minute Barbara Windsor arrived. This is going to sound silly to some - as I suppose most people think of smut when they think of Carry On - but the smut only really happened later. The early ones had a beautiful innocence about them - and one or two of them - some beautiful Pathos. Carry On Teacher is perhaps my favourite with a beautiful turn by Ted Ray who has set his heart on becoming head at a beautifully equipped new secondary school - only to have his hopes dashed by the (normally well-behaved kids) turning into devious little plotters when they're trying their best to keep him. The scene of the school's production of Romeo and Juliet is one of the funniest scenes in any comedy film - and Hattie Jacques line near the end actually brings a tear to my eye!

And in the early ones - Joan Sims was far sexier than Barbara Windsor ever was.
  • owen10owen10 Posts: 126,958
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The rumpo kid.
    Citizen camembert
    Boggs and co.
    The karsi
    Bungdit Din

Surely some mistake
    My favourite is Doctor Nookie
  • muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    idlewilde wrote: »
    Add me to "Not a fan".

Just not my humour really.

Same for me.

I don't find them embarrassing, they are part of British film history, reflect our culture and I think they have an important place therein, I just never found them funny as it's not my kind of humour.

Everybody's different :D
  • sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,010
    Forum Member
    owen10 wrote: »
    My favourite is Doctor Nookie

Constable Constable and Policewoman Passworthy - Carry on Constable
  • Frazer_YoungFrazer_Young Posts: 5,152
    Forum Member
    Beenbag wrote: »
    This would be Valerie Leon whose main cliam to fame is the Hai Karate ads.
    What with her and Caroline Munroe (Lambs Navy Rum ad.) a teenage school-boy was easily distracted ! :blush::D:

Actually, I think you will find that the actress you are referring to was Gail Grainger, not Valerie Leon. She played Kenneth's assistant in Abroad, not Valerie. Mind you, Valerie was a damn fine looking woman back in her day. Gail was only in one Carry On film, as far as I recall. The two actresses don't really look alike, so I don't understand how you got them mixed up.

I LOVE most of the Carry On films, though and I always will. Camping, Doctor, Cleo and Screaming are my favourites. These are the ones that I watch most often. I do have a bit of a soft spot for Up The Khyber as well, though. The only ones that I really dislike are England and Emmanuelle. I have never seen Columbus, so I cannot comment on that. I have no real desire to seek it out, either. I do not regard that as a proper Carry On film.
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,199
    Forum Member
    They've aged horribly. Terribly unfunny.
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dee123 wrote: »
    They've aged horribly. Terribly unfunny.
    They've been on ITV 3 all weekend and caught a bit of one and it was cringeworthy. Much preferred Friday when there was a repeat of The Likely Lads film, a fairly timeless film about two men and how their lives have turned out from when they left school.
    Also while Ken Russell's dislike of Carry Ons could have been motivated by snobbery, as he saw himself as a serious director( he saw his films as art, but were often pretentious and tedious), I just don't find them funny and don't get the cult around them.

• anthony davidanthony david Posts: 14,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They were of their time, even my long time favourite, Carry on Cleo, seems poor nowadays. However for many years they packed out cinemas and we thoroughly enjoyed them.
  • Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Austin powers movies where similar in tone to the carry on's, and they worked in the 90's.

A good carry on script could work today....,
  • Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    edited 01/04/18 - 15:54 #75
    For me Carry On's are one of those worlds you can disappear into and lose yourself for a while. So absurd you can forget stuff in your head. Not all are palatable, the later ones-especially England and Emmanuelle, but most of the 50's/ 60's releases have a certain charm and even innocence too but still daft enough for some good escapism. Hard to say a favourite, Teacher with Ted Ray (whose unavailability after Teacher gave Sid James his break), Doctor with Frankie Howard (the scene where he marries his semi deaf secretary with the semi deaf Vicar in attendance is just brilliant imo, but also the adorable Anita Harris as Nurse Clarke), Khyber(great last scene), Cleo (Kenneth Williams at his best imo). As with other UK films of the time, some are great period pieces now too.
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They were of their time, even my long time favourite, Carry on Cleo, seems poor nowadays. However for many years they packed out cinemas and we thoroughly enjoyed them.

My dad can remember a queue half a mile long at his local flicks to see Carry On Camping. Then he said, the new wave of films based on sitcoms and the Confessions films did for the Carry On franchise, which tried to keep up with the new trends and failed badly, and the queues vanished by the mid seventies. Also some were rehashes of earlier films and the scriptwriters were running out of ideas.
    I will admit the first four films were very much in the British Ealing tradition and are worth watching as the acting is good and the plots amusing.