Options

Problems with a friend

Neil_NNeil_N Posts: 6,026
Forum Member
I've got a friend in Birmingham who has a habit of messaging me virtually every night. I've just started working full-time, and I don't return home til 5.05pm (my workplace is literally round the corner). I always put statuses about how much I've had a good day and I fancy a guy at work (yes I'm that bad).

As soon as I post ANYTHING, this friend jumps on me and what's annoying me is I always seem to get an essay about the destructive relationship he is in or issues with his mother. I'm not feeling well today, and as soon as I walked through the door I had 10 messages about a row with his boyfriend. If it's not via Facebook, I get text messages.

What I am dreading (my anxiety and asthma go hand in hand) is, this friend is coming over to mine to stay this weekend. I've basically got to shoot out of work Friday afternoon (I finish at 4,30) to collect him at the coach station. Adding to that, he wants me to buy this food for him, that I can't afford and don't even eat! I only started my job last week and the final amount from JSA has to last me until August 28th when I get my first paycheck.

I tried to talk him out of it, but he booked the ticket and insisted. I'm just adjusting to getting back to work full-time, and I don't want a weekend of someone whining about their problems to me.

I've told it straight, yet he insists on doing this. Help me please!

Comments

• Options
    Hank1234Hank1234 Posts: 3,756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cut him off.. You obviously don't like him and he sounds clingy
  • Options
    mrs.deschanelmrs.deschanel Posts: 3,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you want him as a friend and would you risk losing that friendship by being honest? You have to do what's best for you sometimes. Making yourself ill and spending money you can't afford isn't going to do you any good and if he was a good friend he'd see it. I know sometimes we are so caught up in our own issues that we don't think anyone else has any but he's taking the pee a tad.

Good luck with the work crush 😉. It's always nice to have something pleasant to look at during work hours.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hank1234 wrote: »
    Cut him off.. You obviously don't like him and he sounds clingy

He can be a sweet chap, but it's ALWAYS about him. He is a bit of an attention seeker. One row and it's like an episode of Cell Block H.
  • Options
    HP.80 VictorHP.80 Victor Posts: 1,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're 30 years old, MTFU and tell him everything you've just posted here.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Do you want him as a friend and would you risk losing that friendship by being honest? You have to do what's best for you sometimes. Making yourself ill and spending money you can't afford isn't going to do you any good and if he was a good friend he'd see it. I know sometimes we are so caught up in our own issues that we don't think anyone else has any but he's taking the pee a tad.

Good luck with the work crush 😉. It's always nice to have something pleasant to look at during work hours.

To be fair, he was there for me when my partner died nine months ago. However, I wish he would learn to get his house in order and stop playing the sympathy card. I'm just dreading the weekend. I'm kind of hoping there is a family gathering here.

Oh he's sexy - the spit of the guy who won Eurovision this year Mans Zemerlow - in fact there is a few hotties - got the hots for a beardy security guard.
  • Options
    eluf38eluf38 Posts: 4,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't collect him from the coach station.
    Seriously, why do you have to buy him special food? If you can't afford it, stop at the supermarket and let him buy his own meal - or he can share yours. As a guest I wouldn't expect anybody to buy special food for me.
    Think about neutral topics you can discuss. If he keeps on and on, steer the conversation towards something new - has he seen a TV programme? What else has he done recently? Guess where you're going next week? He should either change the subject or take the hint.
    I used to have a man mad friend. All she cared about was collecting guys phone numbers. Drove us all mad - in the end, after telling her straight, I just stopped answering her messages. She was so needy and self centered it made our friendship far too much of a hassle to bother with.
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Neil_N wrote: »
    To be fair, he was there for me when my partner died nine months ago. However, I wish he would learn to get his house in order and stop playing the sympathy card. I'm just dreading the weekend. I'm kind of hoping there is a family gathering here.

Oh he's sexy - the spit of the guy who won Eurovision this year Mans Zemerlow - in fact there is a few hotties - got the hots for a beardy security guard.

You're not going to do anything are you?
    You're just venting on here and then will just go along with it to keep the peace.
    You don't want advice, you want to rant.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You're not going to do anything are you?
    You're just venting on here and then will just go along with it to keep the peace.
    You don't want advice, you want to rant.

Oh I will be telling it straight. I've ignored the messages tonight, as I am not really feeling it. I will respond in my own time. As for the coach station thing, he can meet me in the centre of town - I live in the centre ffs.

I like the advice of changing the subject, that's a good foundation.
  • Options
    davey_waveydavey_wavey Posts: 27,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is there any way you can stop him from visiting? Make up a white lie, say your really ill and can't get out of bed, so he shouldn't come and visit. Or you completely forgot and double booked, and your going away yourself to visit another friend this weekend.

Or just be honest with him and tell him that your finding him overwhelming and a bit too much at the moment, and you feel unable to take on his problems and give advice. Just say you need a little break from him.
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So he's dumping himself on you uninvited and has given you a list of food items that you have to buy for him?
    What sort of food?

You really have to deal with him bluntly.
    He'll either appreciate your honesty as a friend,
    or,
    have a hissy fit,
    in which case Hasta la Vista Baby!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Is there any way you can stop him from visiting? Make up a white lie, say your really ill and can't get out of bed, so he shouldn't come and visit. Or you completely forgot and double booked, and your going away yourself to visit another friend this weekend.

Or just be honest with him and tell him that your finding him overwhelming and a bit too much at the moment, and you feel unable to take on his problems and give advice. Just say you need a little break from him.

He's booked the tickets and paid a fair amount I may add. I am a crap liar, and I would be the one who accidently let things slip. What am I thinking is, he does his thing and I do mine - ie he can explore where I live as he is on a break from the Mids and I can do what I want.
  • Options
    mrs.deschanelmrs.deschanel Posts: 3,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm sorry for your loss. I think you should tell him you can't afford his special food and you're sorry and see if you can distract him from being so self absorbed. Otherwise you can rant away because we all need an outlet to vent when we can't in real life. At least the new job has it's perks even if they do have beards ;-).
  • Options
    davey_waveydavey_wavey Posts: 27,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's booked the tickets and paid a fair amount I may add. I am a crap liar, and I would be the one who accidently let things slip. What am I thinking is, he does his thing and I do mine - ie he can explore where I live as he is on a break from the Mids and I can do what I want.

That sounds like a good plan. Just because he's visiting doesn't mean you have to spend every waking minute with him. Maybe suggest places he can visit and you can leave him to it, whilst you preoccupy yourself.
  • Options
    Hershal_GreeneHershal_Greene Posts: 759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have had many one sided friendships and now I have cut them off. Explain to him, if they're is no change then time to go.

Well done on getting a job. I hope you're very proud!
  • Options
    Poppy99_PoppyPoppy99_Poppy Posts: 2,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Put up with it for a weekend, but don't run around him. When he starts the whingeing, jump in, say you have a hard week and just want to have a laugh. If he persists just keep changing the subject. He might storm off - result. If he continued to be a pain, after the weekend has gone, stop responding to the texts etc, let him drift away. Although, if he was a support to you at your time of need, perhaps you just return the favour (although he sounds like a moaner rather than in need).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I have had many one sided friendships and now I have cut them off. Explain to him, if they're is no change then time to go.

Well done on getting a job. I hope you're very proud!

I'm over the moon with the job. I love it. Feel as if I have satisfaction each day and its proper money, not government.
  • Options
    Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    Put up with him this weekend, you can't disinvite him, that would be cruel - and after that, slowly withdraw so he's not so dependent on you. Don't respond to his messages and texts next week, or at least only respond to one or two.

Talk to him this weekend about your job, how happy you are to be working, tell him about the hot guy at work, turn the weekend into talking about YOU instead of him. And tell him to buy his own sodding food.
  • Options
    AsarualimAsarualim Posts: 3,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wait until he falls asleep and murder him in his bed. Use the money you would have spent on his special food to buy the necessary implements and chemicals to dispose of the body and enjoy the rest of your weekend, and life, without him. :)
  • Options
    Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Put up with him this weekend, you can't disinvite him, that would be cruel - and after that, slowly withdraw so he's not so dependent on you. Don't respond to his messages and texts next week, or at least only respond to one or two.

Talk to him this weekend about your job, how happy you are to be working, tell him about the hot guy at work, turn the weekend into talking about YOU instead of him. And tell him to buy his own sodding food.

I agree with all this advice.
  • Options
    John_Smith86John_Smith86 Posts: 212
    Forum Member
    Why not just have sex with him?

He seems like he wants a bit of the D show to me.
  • Options
    MrMarpleMrMarple Posts: 3,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Asarualim wrote: »
    Wait until he falls asleep and murder him in his bed. Use the money you would have spent on his special food to buy the necessary implements and chemicals to dispose of the body and enjoy the rest of your weekend, and life, without him. :)

This. Absolutely this. :D
  • Options
    KarisKaris Posts: 6,380
    Forum Member
    That sounds like a good plan. Just because he's visiting doesn't mean you have to spend every waking minute with him. Maybe suggest places he can visit and you can leave him to it, whilst you preoccupy yourself.

This exactly. I have a few friends like this and when they come over, I let them do their own thing. Of course it invariably devolves in to them doing nothing and waiting for me, but some people are just like that.

Try and - as an exercise - go into the week with a more positive attitude. Try and have some fun and maybe you can determine whether you really think there's a friendship here or not.

To be honest, it sounds much more like a casual acquaintance, which is probably where it belongs, on Facebook and casual. But a bit of positivity and you may change your mind.
  • Options
    scottlscottl Posts: 1,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've got a friend in Birmingham who has a habit of messaging me virtually every night. I've just started working full-time, and I don't return home til 5.05pm (my workplace is literally round the corner). I always put statuses about how much I've had a good day and I fancy a guy at work (yes I'm that bad).

As soon as I post ANYTHING, this friend jumps on me and what's annoying me is I always seem to get an essay about the destructive relationship he is in or issues with his mother. I'm not feeling well today, and as soon as I walked through the door I had 10 messages about a row with his boyfriend. If it's not via Facebook, I get text messages.

What I am dreading (my anxiety and asthma go hand in hand) is, this friend is coming over to mine to stay this weekend. I've basically got to shoot out of work Friday afternoon (I finish at 4,30) to collect him at the coach station. Adding to that, he wants me to buy this food for him, that I can't afford and don't even eat! I only started my job last week and the final amount from JSA has to last me until August 28th when I get my first paycheck.

I tried to talk him out of it, but he booked the ticket and insisted. I'm just adjusting to getting back to work full-time, and I don't want a weekend of someone whining about their problems to me.

I've told it straight, yet he insists on doing this. Help me please!

When people start to control me is when I always start acting really irresponsibly

In the pub drunk when they expect me wherever they wanted.
  • Options
    scottlscottl Posts: 1,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Are we supposed to reply to every text, if so I've been really bad :)
  • Options
    elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    Is there a reason he needs the special food? Or is he just being fussy? If fussy tell him to get his own food. If he has special dietary requirements maybe take him shopping and see if there is something you both can eat and then he can help with the cost. I have a friend who is Coeliac so has various dietary requirements but I would not expect her to supply her own food if she came to visit.