Options

BBC1 HD When?

Comments

• Options
    crunchiecrunchie Posts: 595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Digiguide shows it as being on BBCHD and BBC1, likewise with the Saturday edition the next day. I find that more and more the BBC are not mentioning the BBC-HD channel as much as they used to. It could signify their gradual move away from a standalone channel so they can focus on simulcasting BBC1 and BBC2 in upscaled or native HD which to me is a much better solution.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    figrin_dan wrote: »
    Just noticed the Strictly Come Dancing advert only mentions BBC ONE and not BBC HD. It starts Oct 1. What can we read into this?
    Nothing at all - if there has been no official announcement then to add BBC one HD or to remove BBC HD from the programme details would be jumping the gun on that announcement.

Having said that, I think that we would have heard by now if it was to be 1st Oct.
  • Options
    bayardsbayards Posts: 1,993
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC Press release 8 Sep quoted:
    "Will Felicity take to the floor like she takes to the boards, and will Paul be magic on the dance floor? Viewers will find out as the show launches in an hour-long special on BBC One and BBC One HD. Fans can also get regular updates through Twitter, Facebook and the BBC's official Strictly website."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/stories/2010/09_september/08/strictly_release.shtml
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bayards wrote: »
    BBC Press release 8 Sep quoted:
    "Will Felicity take to the floor like she takes to the boards, and will Paul be magic on the dance floor? Viewers will find out as the show launches in an hour-long special on BBC One and BBC One HD. Fans can also get regular updates through Twitter, Facebook and the BBC's official Strictly website."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/stories/2010/09_september/08/strictly_release.shtml
    And at the bottom, it states:
    Notes to Editors

Strictly Come Dancing is available on BBC One and BBC HD, and airs this week Saturday 11 September, with the first live shows airing on Friday 1 October and Saturday 2 October.
    BBC Press Releases have been notorious for being a bit incorrect when it comes to scheduling issues (maybe Scheduling don't speak to or get on with Marketing). Anyway, until any thing more concrete comes our way (official announcement, testing stream or placeholder), I think that it's safe to assume that it should have read BBC HD
  • Options
    Ray CathodeRay Cathode Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A Red Bee document on another forum mentions November.
  • Options
    dave333444dave333444 Posts: 39
    Forum Member
    2nd nov the birthday of BBC Tv maybe

It all started in 1936
  • Options
    Colin_LondonColin_London Posts: 12,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    15th November - the day in 1969 when BBC1 & ITV began broadcasting in 625-line colour?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    15th November - the day in 1969 when BBC1 & ITV began broadcasting in 625-line colour?

Or maybe the BBC will launch on another date in November which suits their plans and schedules as opposed to marking some historical event in broadcasting?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,768
    Forum Member
    crunchie wrote: »
    Digiguide shows it as being on BBCHD and BBC1, likewise with the Saturday edition the next day. I find that more and more the BBC are not mentioning the BBC-HD channel as much as they used to. It could signify their gradual move away from a standalone channel so they can focus on simulcasting BBC1 and BBC2 in upscaled or native HD which to me is a much better solution.
    I would be unhappy if they became BBC1 HD and BBC2 HD - currently BBC HD is a bit like a '+0 or more' channel to a mixture of BBC1/2/3/4 and is often better than BBC1. So put on BBC1 HD as an addition and keep BBC HD as (say) BBC HD 'Choice' continuing the simul(and delayed)casts of suitable BBC2/3/4 programmes.

Interesting to note that the 'simulcasts' on HD often appear (up to a few minutes) earlier than on BBC1 (for example).
    When actually simulcast (AFAICT) BBC HD is delayed up to a second or so - presumably the 'reconstruction' of the video at the receiver takes longer than the SD logistics (assuming the SD is encoded from the HD stream at broadcast time (??))
  • Options
    jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would be unhappy if they became BBC1 HD and BBC2 HD
    That is not possible as there would then no way of showing BBC 3/4 HD content.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jzee wrote: »
    That is not possible as there would then no way of showing BBC 3/4 HD content.
    Which is why I wrote my post!

Possibility is not the same as practicality - of course it is possible.
  • Options
    jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Which is why I wrote my post!

Possibility is not the same as practicality - of course it is possible.
    Not really, there isn't any space on Freeview, and there won't be on satellite, until new Astra satellites are launched in 2012-14, assuming BBC secures enough space.
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    figrin_dan wrote: »
    Just noticed the Strictly Come Dancing advert only mentions BBC ONE and not BBC HD. It starts Oct 1. What can we read into this?

That they screen tested Bruce in HD and thought that it was more horror show than family viewing.
  • Options
    wakeywakey Posts: 3,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not really, there isn't any space on Freeview, and there won't be on satellite, until new Astra satellites are launched in 2012-14, assuming BBC secures enough space.

My understanding is that the BBC are actually holding but not using a number of slots on Astra to cover themselves for any future developments.

At some point you do have to think that a BBC2 HD will have to launch. Unless output levels are increased for BBC3/4/CBBC then they could still share a channel without a problem you would think but the BBC will need at least 3 HD channels in the future. And other channels you would think are going to want Freeview HD space (five will surely not want to stay behind the paywall of sky forever and channel 4 have already indicated they would have liked more Freeview HD space) so I would imagine at some point the idea of another HD Mux being created will have to happen no matter the cost
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Not really what?

They are about to launch a second HD channel on Freeview regardless of what you think is enough space - the BBC will also launch it on Freesat/Sky to retain platform neutrality.

Quote from the press release...
    "Notes to Editors
    BBC One HD will be made available to Freeview, Freesat, Sky and Virgin Media platforms."
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have it on reasonably good authority that an announcement will be made within the next three weeks as to the start date of BBC ONE HD.

It's all gone very quiet.

Looks like that planned announcement has been delayed then. :(
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,633
    Forum Member
    I heard an announcement on the radio today (must have been Radio 5) that it would be November.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    I heard an announcement on the radio today (must have been Radio 5) that it would be November.
    Seems to tie in with that Red Bee Media document that another poster found which mentioned November ..... but of course the big question is when in November?

Seems strange that there has been no announcement even now though.
  • Options
    Mark SmithMark Smith Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There should be an announcement at least a few weeks before launch, after all they will want to announce it before they start testing, and TV listings will also change as BBC One programmes will no longer be simulcast on BBC HD.

As well as all the behind the scenes engineering they'll want to have as strong launch as possible, possibly with EastEnders etc. being in HD as soon as BBC One HD starts.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Freesat site now mentions a November launch, under the heading What HD Channels are on Freesat

http://www.freesat.co.uk/how-to/faqs/hd-tv

But as I pointed out on another thread, there are 30 days in November ....... ;)
  • Options
    pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love how the questions isn't even fully answered and contains template text they didn't even bother changing.
  • Options
    a516a516 Posts: 5,241
    Forum Member
    I don't know if it's mentioned on one of the other subforums, but BBC ONE HD now has an OFCOM DTT Licence: http://www.ofcom.org.uk/static/tvlicensing/dtt/2065.htm
  • Options
    SkipTracerSkipTracer Posts: 2,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are we sure that BBC 1 HD is going to start within the next 3 months.

Why I say that is because the new series of Reggie Perrin starting next week is only going out on BBC 1 with no sign of a BBC HD slot.

As the previous series was in HD I am having doubts about BBC 1 HD.:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With the increasing amount of HD content across all BBC channels, it is likely that RP has been filmed in HD but cannot be broadcast on BBC HD as a simuilcast

That's probably why it is being broadcast on BBC HD the next day:

SD:
    http://www.radiotimes.com/ListingsServlet?event=10&channelId=95&programmeId=136071539&jspLocation=/jsp/prog_details_fullpage.jsp

HD:
    http://www.radiotimes.com/ListingsServlet?event=10&channelId=1994&programmeId=136090519&jspLocation=/jsp/prog_details_fullpage.jsp
  • Options
    bayardsbayards Posts: 1,993
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes - someone picked up that the Adventures of Sarah Jane starts on CBBC next Monday 11th and was in HD last year - but no simulcast. Then I picked up it starts it's HD outing on October 17th - a few days behind....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006qgb3/episodes/upcoming?page=4

H