Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GeorgeS wrote: »
    Leitrim? :confused:
    Derry :)
  • Raven_007Raven_007 Posts: 69
    Forum Member
    tedjrr wrote: »
    BRANDING Perhaps UTV (Ulster Television) will re-brand to Irish Television, the initials sort of work, and the "U" errr "I" thing has a certain presence to it.

Or Éire TV and known onair as ÉTV
  • AliAsteriskAliAsterisk Posts: 109
    Forum Member
    Raven_007 wrote: »

They've already said that it will be called UTV Ireland but referred to on air as just UTV like it is in N.Ireland.
  • irishfeenirishfeen Posts: 10,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Raven_007 wrote: »
    Read today that the UTV branding will continue down south... assumably it will be "UTV" in NI and "UTV Ireland" in Ireland.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    irishfeen wrote: »
    Dear God have you ever watched TV3... They film all their shows in a tiny greenscreen studio... It looks shite and the content is even worse.

It does come across as a low budget operation, but I hardly ever watch anything on there. They rely a lot on ITV shows and probably can't afford to make many shows of their own.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It does come across as a low budget operation, but I hardly ever watch anything on there. They rely a lot on ITV shows and probably can't afford to make many shows of their own.
    Yeah they are a fairly pathetic excuse for a station... they never really tried to break RTÉ's control of broadcasting... the preferred to give out about them rather then take them on.

Their news service was also terrible and when they ended weekend news broadcasts it was the final straw for me.
  • bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As an aside, UTV moving in to the Republic in 2015, could UTV/ITV try to get Champions League and Europa League rights for the Republic?
  • NoEntry2kNoEntry2k Posts: 14,985
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This sums it up, quite funnily.
    This is short clip of TV3's Director of Content Jeff Ford at this summers TV3 autumn season launch press event. He did a comedy ‘bit’ with US talk show host Conan O’Brien (pre-recorded in LA, but supposedly live) where Conan only seems interested in the returning hit ITV shows while Jeff Ford tries to explain that they have new original content too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XPJDU6tG7o

If you didn’t know, TV3 spinoff channel 3e aired ‘Conan’ each night, which is why he was involved in the press event. Bizarrely 3e seems to have now dropped ‘Conan’ just a few months after the press event (they must have know their plans, so why have him involved in the first place?!)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As an aside, UTV moving in to the Republic in 2015, could UTV/ITV try to get Champions League and Europa League rights for the Republic?
    Yeah they could (assuming the channel would be FTV rather then FTA - as UEFA/ITV might not let it FTA on satellite) as it would be put into the open market. If they are serious of course they could challenge RTÉ for Tuesday night matches too.... it really all depends on what UTV wants to do with their Irish operation.
  • jazzfunksterjazzfunkster Posts: 267
    Forum Member
    Does anyone know if UTV Ireland in their news programmes will cover stories both in the republic and the north? This could end up creating the first all-Ireland broadcaster, interesting times ahead!

When the new contract with Simon Cowell and Fremantle Media is signed, will the X Factor and Britain's Got Talent also transfer from TV3 to UTV Ireland from 2015?
  • LW09LW09 Posts: 3,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TV3 could do much worse than trying to align themselves with Channel 5 instead rather than just rolling over to UTV, and attempt to buy in some of their bigger programmes to plug the gap. As far as I'm aware, C5 have no presence in the ROI, and for example ROI no longer get Big Brother which would help fill a massive void.

It could also be a good/competitive move (but incredibly risky) to drop some ITV shows such as Emmerdale and Corrie, which would ultimately be somewhat damaged by the time they move to UTV.
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,414
    Forum Member
    Does anyone know if UTV Ireland in their news programmes will cover stories both in the republic and the north? This could end up creating the first all-Ireland broadcaster, interesting times ahead!

When the new contract with Simon Cowell and Fremantle Media is signed, will the X Factor and Britain's Got Talent also transfer from TV3 to UTV Ireland from 2015?

Not necessarily; my understanding is that they're covered by separate rights - it'll only be internal ITV productions that'll automatically go to UTV and if UTV want the ROI rights for Syco productions then they'll presumably have to bid for them like anyone else when the existing contract comes up for renewal.

This will be a major blow to TV3, which broadcasts ITV shows including the hit soaps, Downton Abbey, The X Factor and Britain's Got Talent. However, ITV Studios does not produce Downton or the two reality talent shows or hold the overseas rights.
    http://www.theguardian.com/media/2013/nov/06/utv-rights-coronation-street-new-channel-ireland
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

:) That could raise a mass of different issues for them to deal with... (Derry/Londonderry, the wearing of poppies etc.) .. it would be entertaining though.
  • 1andrew11andrew1 Posts: 4,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :) That could raise a mass of different issues for them to deal with... (Derry/Londonderry, the wearing of poppies etc.) .. it would be entertaining though.
    Maybe the way that billboards on some international football matches are electronically covered with country-specific adverts, poppies and flags could be pixallated in and out depending on the channel :)
  • 1andrew11andrew1 Posts: 4,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LW09 wrote: »
    TV3 could do much worse than trying to align themselves with Channel 5 instead rather than just rolling over to UTV, and attempt to buy in some of their bigger programmes to plug the gap. As far as I'm aware, C5 have no presence in the ROI, and for example ROI no longer get Big Brother which would help fill a massive void.

It could also be a good/competitive move (but incredibly risky) to drop some ITV shows such as Emmerdale and Corrie, which would ultimately be somewhat damaged by the time they move to UTV.

They are probably not allowed to drop the soaps or transfer them to 3E but they could probably minimise their promotion.
    Could Channel 5 purchase TV3 in a cut-price deal and perhaps offload its news arm to ITN and studios to an independent ? Richard Desmond has Irish interests, though he doesn't always agree with their actions :).
  • MarkG6RMarkG6R Posts: 202
    Forum Member

What would be the point of that?

If you want Northern news - BBC NI or UTV

It you want news from the Republic - RTE or TV3
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 449
    Forum Member
    I dont understand the hatred for tv3,yet excitement for a tiny northern irish broadcaster coming in to the irish market,both of these channels rely on itv and thats there downfall,itv itself is rubbish so what chance do these watered down versions have!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MarkG6R wrote: »
    What would be the point of that?

If you want Northern news - BBC NI or UTV

It you want news from the Republic - RTE or TV3
    Well it is a very small country ... NI is only one size to Munster so news from the entire island could easily be done in a one hour long show.
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,414
    Forum Member
    I dont understand the hatred for tv3,yet excitement for a tiny northern irish broadcaster coming in to the irish market,both of these channels rely on itv and thats there downfall,itv itself is rubbish so what chance do these watered down versions have!!

Well, TV3's content is on the downmarket side of things - think ITV2 and then some - hence the lack of love for that channel. As for UTV, they're a solvent, profitable multimedia company with a market capitalisation value in excess of £200 million/€250 million. In addition to the UTV channel, they also run over 20 radio stations including the UK nationwide Talksport radio station and they run broadband and telephony operations too.

Therefore, they are not an insignificant media operation and so I have no doubt that UTV Ireland will make a net employment, economic and cultural contribution to the Republic of Ireland.

Tbh, I wish they'd sort out that nomenclature mess once and for all and there's a precedent from the USA:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derry,_New_Hampshire
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Londonderry,_New_Hampshire
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its a terrible excuse for a tv station... as a young lad in his early 20's they have no programme I would even consider watching apart from Vinny B and the 10 GAA over the whole year... they only seem to know the meaning of celebrity trash television rather then making quality homegrown content... we don't want miracles but just a few quality programmes to sit down and watch and a news service that is trustworthy - they fail miserably on both.

Another indictment on the station is the fact that there was not one TV3 made programme in Ireland's top 20 most viewed programmes last year... that where their only real competition is a state broadcaster. if I was running TV3 and I saw them viewing figures heads would roll but in TV3 they just seem to do the same thing over and over again.

Its not good enough with their current content and their refusal to pay carriage fees to 2RN (RTÉ Networks) means there broadcasting licence should be suspended.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tbh, I wish they'd sort out that nomenclature mess once and for all and there's a precedent from the USA:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derry,_New_Hampshire
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Londonderry,_New_Hampshire
    Yeah a county-wide referendum should be taken to sort out the matter once and for all... it will be hard for UTV to get such things right down here, I have never heard or seen on any television/radio station it being called Londonderry... If they go against the grain (RTÉ, TV3, TG4, Radio, Papers etc.) then it could backfire and it could be used as a stick to poke fun what they are trying to do ... interesting times ahead no doubt :)
  • 10000maniacs10000maniacs Posts: 831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Derry :)
    Dublinderry. What else?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 449
    Forum Member
    Dublinderry. What else?

Has a better ring to it alright. :D
  • MarkG6RMarkG6R Posts: 202
    Forum Member
    Well it is a very small country ... NI is only one size to Munster so news from the entire island could easily be done in a one hour long show.

And most people in the South have no interest in what happens in Northern Ireland. There isn't an audience there for a North+South News Show, most people are happy with the existing alternatives.
  • mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MarkG6R wrote: »
    And most people in the South have no interest in what happens in Northern Ireland. There isn't an audience there for a North+South News Show, most people are happy with the existing alternatives.

This is true, whatever nationalists up "North" might like to believe most of the "South" really has no interest in whether someone got killed in a car crash in Fermanagh or a cat up a tree in Derry. As for local political squabbles involving creationists and flat-earth types - no thank you! :p

One thought - ITV will lose CL and EL footie but UTV Ireland is a different kettle of fish in a separate market - I wonder could they make an offer for matches in RoI? As they are bound to be in HD on soarview it would be a selling point over TV3/3e