Options

Smooth Radio......this is not right....

2»

Comments

• Options
    occyoccy Posts: 65,152
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe every radio station should donate a royalty for every song which contains a lyric which is link to the days disaster. This would stop stupid threads and disgruntled listeners :o
  • Options
    ianradioianianradioian Posts: 74,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some people are just over-sensitive and worry about anything.
    It is a horrible incident but it's 9 1/2 thousand miles away and nothing to do with us here in the U.K.
  • Options
    jon craigjon craig Posts: 1,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    occy wrote: »
    Maybe every radio station should donate a royalty for every song which contains a lyric which is link to the days disaster. This would stop stupid threads and disgruntled listeners :o

No it wouldn't. This is Digital Spy. There's always another clown just around the corner ;-)
    Just proves the shortcomings of putting machines in charge of playlists instead of humans. Bring back a Smooth with caring and popular people in the studio...

I think you'd struggle to show any less understanding if you tried. It's more than possible that the music for the day in question had been scheduled before the disaster in Korea had even taken place. Selector purely rotates and places the songs that are 'active' in the station database. It doesn't choose which songs to play and which ones not to - that is still an entirely human operation. And the lyric in question is not exactly obvious is it? It's not in the title. I'd be surprised if anyone, the OP included, would have looked at that song in a music log and thought 'sh*t, there's a ship reference (and not even a real ship reference) in the track, better pull it. Even if the days schedule had been lovingly and painstakingly put together, entirely by a human hand owned by the world's greatest music enthusiast, without any input from computer at all, that track could still have been played.

Still, it was played on a Global station so I guess they're fair game for any criticism, no matter how contrived.
  • Options
    martino2539martino2539 Posts: 358
    Forum Member
    jon craig wrote: »
    No it wouldn't. This is Digital Spy. There's always another clown just around the corner ;-)

I think you'd struggle to show any less understanding if you tried. It's more than possible that the music for the day in question had been scheduled before the disaster in Korea had even taken place. Selector purely rotates and places the songs that are 'active' in the station database. It doesn't choose which songs to play and which ones not to - that is still an entirely human operation. And the lyric in question is not exactly obvious is it? It's not in the title. I'd be surprised if anyone, the OP included, would have looked at that song in a music log and thought 'sh*t, there's a ship reference (and not even a real ship reference) in the track, better pull it. Even if the days schedule had been lovingly and painstakingly put together, entirely by a human hand owned by the world's greatest music enthusiast, without any input from computer at all, that track could still have been played.

Still, it was played on a Global station so I guess they're fair game for any criticism, no matter how contrived.

What can I say other than one of the best replies ive ever seen on digital spy :)

This is just another attempt by the global basher to have another dig, yes its a forum and yes its about debate but please change the bloody record.
  • Options
    wckartistwckartist Posts: 1,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    but please change the bloody record.

How ironic!
  • Options
    BorsantBorsant Posts: 1,148
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wckartist wrote: »
    How ironic!

They did and you're still nit picking :)
  • Options
    hanssolohanssolo Posts: 22,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jon craig wrote: »
    I think you'd struggle to show any less understanding if you tried. It's more than possible that the music for the day in question had been scheduled before the disaster in Korea had even taken place. Selector purely rotates and places the songs that are 'active' in the station database. It doesn't choose which songs to play and which ones not to - that is still an entirely human operation. And the lyric in question is not exactly obvious is it? It's not in the title. I'd be surprised if anyone, the OP included, would have looked at that song in a music log and thought 'sh*t, there's a ship reference (and not even a real ship reference) in the track, better pull it.
    Interesting reading the Chris Price item on Huffington post where he and others went through the R1 songs after 9/11, Ideally Global and Bauer are now big enough to have someone check breaking news stories, drop normal duties and have the ability to change songs on several stations if needed? Would need exceptional people who know the risk of upsetting people, music and lyrics well and the group's profits could be affected if extra work is needed out of normal hours, some songs with obscure lyrics will still get out, accountants who are balancing tight budgets may not agree, but might be worth it?.
  • Options
    TUCTUC Posts: 5,105
    Forum Member
    Amara wrote: »
    I have to agree bad taste not pulling this for a while due to the S Korean ferry disaster.
    Those of you making a joke of this should be ashamed of yourselves many children have lost their lives. I wonder how you would feel if it were your relatives?

Its attitudes like that which causes programmes and songs to be pulled for the most obscure reasons. Do we pull any song about murder when there's a murder on the news? Do we pull dramas about car crashes even time there's a car crash on the news? Some of us don't spend our days looking for obscure links to issues to be offended about.
  • Options
    BingethinkBingethink Posts: 4,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TUC wrote: »
    Its attitudes like that which causes programmes and songs to be pulled for the most obscure reasons. Do we pull any song about murder when there's a murder on the news? Do we pull dramas about car crashes even time there's a car crash on the news? Some of us don't spend our days looking for obscure links to issues to be offended about.

Again, I disagree.

I think this is very different to pulling, for example, a scheduled episode of Casualty because there might be a clash between its subject and the contents of a news bulletin that follows. (Although that sometimes happens when there are sensitive items in the news, of course.)

The key difference is that no-one would notice if you dropped that Dido track from the playlist for a few days. It wouldn't materially affect the output of the station at all. No-one would know that it had ever been scheduled.

I also don't think this is about stopping people being "offended" by anything. I agree that people will be offended by all sorts of things, that it's hard to know what they will be in advance and that, artistically, you shouldn't be afraid to do or say things which may be offensive to some people.

But this isn't some great artistic enterprise. It's Smooth Radio. It exists to provide a gentle, relaxing background soundtrack to people's lives. Anything that may jar against that relaxing mood shouldn't be a part of the brand.

Again, I'd ask everyone to consider what would be the reaction on here if Smooth Radio hadn't played that song after the ferry tragedy. There would be no thread. There would no no controversy. There would be no issue.

You don;t have to be "offended" by something to not think it's a good idea. I'm not offended by Smooth Radio playing the song, but I don't think it fits the brand values they should be all about.
  • Options
    BingethinkBingethink Posts: 4,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is a horrible incident but it's 9 1/2 thousand miles away and nothing to do with us here in the U.K.

I don't think this is a sensible attitude to take today. There are plenty of people in the UK from Korea, and plenty of people who my have travelled to Korea and possibly on that ferry. And of course, there are plenty of people who are able to feel sympathy and compassion when dozens of schoolchildren drown in a terrible accident, even when it's thousands of miles away.
  • Options
    BorsantBorsant Posts: 1,148
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It wasn't played after a news bulletin was it? I seem to recall Kenny Everett playing Stairway To Heaven straight out of the news after a similar tragedy in the good old days of free choice
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 446
    Forum Member
    They just replayed the 9am news at 11am so I guess with all of the pre-recording in place they cant really react to news and amend the play list.

Still embarrassing that they played the same news twice.
  • Options
    omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember hearing OPM - Heaven is a Halfpipe on the morning one of the Royals died back in 2002, I think that was on Rock FM. These things happen..
  • Options
    SimonjharrissonSimonjharrisson Posts: 1,214
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There was a good joke around a few years ago (IMO at least)

First the Dodo died
    Then Dodi died
    Then Diana died
    Apparently Dido is S*****g Herself !!

Well I laughed when I heard it anyway.... :blush:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    I think people in South Korea will have more important things on their minds.