Giro d'Italia BBC NI

2»

Comments

• Options
    bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TUC wrote: »
    But this is the second biggest cycle race in the world, taking place in the UK, and the BBC doesn't think its worth securing full rights? Don't you think if it had been taking place in London rather than Belfast they might have magically found the money?

Maybe because Eurosport hold the rights, and let the BBC share them as they were in Ireland?
  • Options
    bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe because Eurosport hold the rights, and let the BBC share them as they were in Ireland?

To clarify my thinking.
    Rights to ATP and WTA Tennis are held by Sky/BT Sports. But BBC shows events pre Wimbledon as they ate in UK.

Be intersting next year as their is a three week break between the French Open and Wimbledon if the BBC cover more events or if week 3 will be exhibition events.
  • Options
    Nigel82Nigel82 Posts: 473
    Forum Member
    I think it's a little unfair to be criticising any of the local media with regards to the Giro - it has been covered extensively by everyone as far as I can see.

I would question the national coverage though. This is probably the biggest sporting event to ever come to NI, and supposedly the second biggest bike race in the world and how much coverage does it get nationally? None as far as I can tell. I bet that won't be the case when the Tour de France hits Yorkshire in July.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nigel82 wrote: »
    I think it's a little unfair to be criticising any of the local media with regards to the Giro - it has been covered extensively by everyone as far as I can see.

I would question the national coverage though. This is probably the biggest sporting event to ever come to NI, and supposedly the second biggest bike race in the world and how much coverage does it get nationally? None as far as I can tell. I bet that won't be the case when the Tour de France hits Yorkshire in July.
    But would it get large audiences, the Tour de France only gets quite modest viewing figures so I can't see that this event will do any better considering that most of the UK populating will have never even have heard of it.
  • Options
    Nigel82Nigel82 Posts: 473
    Forum Member
    lundavra wrote: »
    But would it get large audiences, the Tour de France only gets quite modest viewing figures so I can't see that this event will do any better considering that most of the UK populating will have never even have heard of it.

Not talking live coverage as such but an event like this, as I say probably the biggest ever in NI, surely deserves some coverage on the national news? I have seen none
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not talking live coverage as such but an event like this, as I say probably the biggest ever in NI, surely deserves some coverage on the national news? I have seen none
    There was a repeated feature on Friday morning's Breakfast. It might also have been repeated on one of the national bulletins.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I am sure I saw some coverage at the beginning of the event on BBC news but I did not pay a lot of attention, does make very interesting viewing to most people.
  • Options
    irishfeenirishfeen Posts: 10,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surprised to see so many out supporting south of the border, up to this point is hasn't been a big deal at all - nice to see the Irish tri-colours lining the route.
  • Options
    MarkG6RMarkG6R Posts: 202
    Forum Member
    irishfeen wrote: »
    The difference between the north and south in excitement about this is very noticeable - its hardly making news down here at all - mentioned in the sports segments. Compare that to BBC NI, UTV and its amazing.. it might change as its going into Dublin tomorrow..

I know the Giro doesn't even come close to matching the Tour de France but the difference between 1998 and this event is amazing - calk and cheese.

I don't think there is huge interest in it around Dublin ... it will probably get a decent crowd today but most people aren't bothered. There is far more talk about Eurovision, the Premier League and the Elections. It feels like a Northern event with a token visit to the South.

Ultimately it's just an early stage finish of an event with little Irish participation.
  • Options
    jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,330
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    irishfeen wrote: »
    Surprised to see so many out supporting south of the border, up to this point is hasn't been a big deal at all - nice to see the Irish tri-colours lining the route.

See that's the big difference. I don't know what Belfast and the north coast has been like in comparison but South Armagh (Belleek especially) has been preparing support for weeks.

Thankfully the headlines about it today will all be about the cycling and not a potential collision because a silly bitch ran out in the middle of the peleton going through Keady.
  • Options
    coopermanyorkscoopermanyorks Posts: 21,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I bet around 5 million people in Yorkshire have heard of TDF this year
  • Options
    keightley1980keightley1980 Posts: 324
    Forum Member
    I am not someone who buries their head in the sand but before March 2014 I had never heard of Giro Italia. I thought it was something about the dole office as im sure a lot of others did round these parts. Saying its the 2nd most important cycling event is like saying Serbia is the 2nd best handball team.

Noone really cares about cycling. Thats why Channel 4 dont show it anymore, it gets buried on ITV4.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am not someone who buries their head in the sand but before March 2014 I had never heard of Giro Italia. I thought it was something about the dole office as im sure a lot of others did round these parts. Saying its the 2nd most important cycling event is like saying Serbia is the 2nd best handball team.

Noone really cares about cycling. Thats why Channel 4 dont show it anymore, it gets buried on ITV4.

Exactly, if it was such a major attraction then Sky would be paying lots of money for the rights.

I am dubious also about the suggestion that every single person in Yorkshire is aware of the Tour de France. Surveys usually find that significant percentages can't even name the Prime Minister!
  • Options
    BahtatBahtat Posts: 756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am dubious also about the suggestion that every single person in Yorkshire is aware of the Tour de France. Surveys usually find that significant percentages can't even name the Prime Minister!

Hehe, well with Look Leeds and Calendar you can't really not know about it by now up here.
  • Options
    chinamugchinamug Posts: 387
    Forum Member

Unfortunately Cycling isn't as big as it was for obvious reasons. I would say Ulster Playing in the Heineken Cup is a bigger sporting event and would have a lot more attention on in, and that's every year.

In the 80's Cycling was very big in the Republic (I even had a Sean Kelly Board Game!) but like a lot of sports that were big in the 80's it's back to a minority sport.
    It's not surprising that Media in the south are paying it little attention.

As for Northern Media, they're doing a good job promoting their own patch but outside of Cycling fans no one really cares where these events take place. It might increase Tourism from Italy however.
  • Options
    nicktrownicktrow Posts: 869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Exactly, if it was such a major attraction then Sky would be paying lots of money for the rights.

It is on Sky Sports too. They have 90 minutes coverage each day using the same world feed commentators as BBC NI.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bahtat wrote: »
    Hehe, well with Look Leeds and Calendar you can't really not know about it by now up here.
    And what percentage watch those programmes?

Many on the route will have a vague knowledge there is something happening sometime. Many more off the route will have no knowledge or interest.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nicktrow wrote: »
    It is on Sky Sports too. They have 90 minutes coverage each day using the same world feed commentators as BBC NI.

So they have decided that it is not worth spending a lot of money on it because not enough interest.
  • Options
    nicktrownicktrow Posts: 869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So they have decided that it is not worth spending a lot of money on it because not enough interest.
    Yes, you may be correct. It may have been different if it was exclusive to them though. But they have already invested heavily in Team Sky and British Cycling.
  • Options
    BahtatBahtat Posts: 756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And what percentage watch those programmes?

I've no idea, I was simply pointing out how much coverage the regional programmes have been giving it. The Look Leeds presenters even cycled the whole Yorkshire route for Sports Relief.
    Many on the route will have a vague knowledge there is something happening sometime. Many more off the route will have no knowledge or interest.

I can tell you now that anyone living anywhere near the route will have a lot more than a 'vague knowledge' of what's happening in July. Even those with little or no interest can't have missed all the publicity and information. There's posters and signs on the roads and in shops, adverts on TV and local papers, road closure details have been widely circulated and as mentioned it's been covered dozens of times on regional news.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 185
    Forum Member

OK, we get the idea - you don't like cycling. So why post on a thread about it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK, we get the idea - you don't like cycling. So why post on a thread about it?

Just pointing out that because someone is enthusiastic about something it does means others are.
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    nicktrow wrote: »
    Yes, you may be correct. It may have been different if it was exclusive to them though. But they have already invested heavily in Team Sky and British Cycling.

There's not much point Sky spending millions to sponsor a team then having the races on Sky........what's the point of advertising Sky to people who've already bought it ?
  • Options
    jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,330
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chinamug wrote: »
    Unfortunately Cycling isn't as big as it was for obvious reasons. I would say Ulster Playing in the Heineken Cup is a bigger sporting event and would have a lot more attention on in, and that's every year.

In the 80's Cycling was very big in the Republic (I even had a Sean Kelly Board Game!) but like a lot of sports that were big in the 80's it's back to a minority sport.
    It's not surprising that Media in the south are paying it little attention.

As for Northern Media, they're doing a good job promoting their own patch but outside of Cycling fans no one really cares where these events take place. It might increase Tourism from Italy however.

I'm not sure, I'm not a cycling fan at all but I really got into the spirit of the event.

They were saying on BBC though that the Italians wouldn't turn out to the same extent to watch the early stages that the people in South Armagh did.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 185
    Forum Member
    Just pointing out that because someone is enthusiastic about something it does means others are.

You'll be telling us that the Pope's a Catholic next...