Downton Abbey Series Five Thread

Comments

• LMLM Posts: 63,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mr Selfridge is definitely ending next year after S4. They would have to age the character too much going forward. The real Mr Selfridge died a pauper in 1947 at age 82 so not a happy ending for him.

I missed the beginning of Indian Summers, in fact I missed the first 8 episodes as I was away but caught up by binge watching. Maybe because of that I did get into it and would watch the 2nd series but its not addictive. Its certainly no where near as good as The Jewel in the Crown. That had the advantage of filming across India. I know there were technical reasons why they chose not to film Indian Summers in Simla and chose Penang instead. I did read somewhere that the buildings they use i.e. the club etc. they spent 3 months getting it into shape before filming.

The Village and The Mill were too miserable. I've seen plenty of other series over the years on what life was like in Victorian and earlier times for many people so wasn't bothered with either.

The Paradise I didn't bother with either. Lark Rise was okay but I felt it had reached its end date.

Going forward I suspect we may be in for a period of modern drama. Period drama seems to come in waves and then we have a break before it returns in some form. After all how many series do we need to see of say Jane Eyre or Sense and Sensibility. They seem to film again with a different cast every 15 years or so.

You could be right actually. There may indeed be a break for period dramas along the lines of Downton. Although the US have a good one which i can't wait to return. It's called When Calls The Heart. I urge anyone to check it out who liked period dramas.
  • ZipgoesamillionZipgoesamillion Posts: 1,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All the cast we said goodbye to in series five are all popping up in the final series.

On that basis I presume Lord Gillingham and Charles Blake may return. I could see Charles Blake reappearing after returning from Poland, to find Mary involved with Henry Talbot. Not so sure about Gillingham unless Mary meets him at a social occasion.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-3065753/Dowager-Countess-outlive-Downton-Abbey-character-played-Dame-Maggie-Smith-110-now.html#ixzz3Z72EwhKw
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    According to this article in The Telegraph their story was supposed to have inspired the spine to the Downton storyline. I also thought it was related to JF's wife not being able to inherit The Kitchner title from her uncle, who remained childless. He didn't have an estate as such.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/11580233/Lady-Kinvara-Balfour-This-castle-should-belong-to-my-mother.html
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deleted entry.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As there has been no activity here for the last month i thought I would post a link to article in today's LA Times.

I would also mention Tom (Allen Leech) has been sighted filming on set. Probably episode 4 or thereabouts. http://andorra97.tumblr.com/image/120718779123

If your reading this Andorra, are you the same as in the link?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 300
    Forum Member
    The Hollywood Reporter states that JF has revealed a number of plots for Downton's S6, including the following;
    Fellowes and executive producer Gareth Neame did tease the audience with a short video promising more battles between Violet (Maggie Smith) and Isobel Crawley (Penelope Wilton), plus acknowledgement of growing intimacy between Carson the butler (Jim Carter) and Mrs. Hughes (Phyllis Logan), who agreed to marry at last season’s finale.

Carmichael, whose unlucky in love character had an illegitimate child last season, will be spending more time in London, that much she acknowledged. But whether she will get a happy ending remains to be seen; same goes for perennially afflicted downstairs couple Bates (Brendan Coyle) and Anna (Joanne Froggatt).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Hollywood Reporter states that JF has revealed a number of plots for Downton's S6, including the following;

More importantly is what is the very final scene in the CS to be. Is it
    a) Violet dying, although JF has said he will never kill her off.
    b) Lady Mary's remarriage or agreeing to remarry.
    c) A Christmas scene with the family and all the staff gathered around the Christmas tree in the hall.

How does everyone see the end scene playing out?
  • forwardswillforwardswill Posts: 22
    Forum Member
    I read an article somewhere where someone was describing their ideal final episode and I have to say I am struggling to think of any other ending. Basically they had Violet dying at somepoint in the special but then we see the other storylines such as Mary's lovers finally tying up. Finally the episode ends with a voice over by Maggie Smith as we see each of the characters happy in their lives before we are then shown the grounds of Downton before one final shot of the Abbey as Violet delivers one final line of wisdom that reflects upon their time together.
    This has become my perfect ending (also it sounds enough to win Dame Maggie every award going :p)
  • seejay63seejay63 Posts: 8,800
    Forum Member
    Deleted - wrong forum!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I read an article somewhere where someone was describing their ideal final episode and I have to say I am struggling to think of any other ending. Basically they had Violet dying at somepoint in the special but then we see the other storylines such as Mary's lovers finally tying up. Finally the episode ends with a voice over by Maggie Smith as we see each of the characters happy in their lives before we are then shown the grounds of Downton before one final shot of the Abbey as Violet delivers one final line of wisdom that reflects upon their time together.
    This has become my perfect ending (also it sounds enough to win Dame Maggie every award going :p)

JF has always said he won't kill Violet off so one must imagine she survives the CS. I would rather like, after the final scene has played, a roll of the characters and their lives we won't see, going forward. In this way they would be able to say that Violet died in 19.., Robert and Cora whenever and so on with the rest of the family.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An end of S6 final series interview with JF and GN with one damping down expectations of a film or theatre tour and the other quite up for it. IMO either will be difficult as the actors move on to other projects and may be less willing to return to a show that has finished for a number of reasons.

http://deadline.com/2015/06/downton-abbey-julian-fellowes-gareth-neame-interview-series-end-1201448366/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It looks as though they are back filming in Bampton this week. Crew have been sighted setting up privacy screens, alongside the signpost to Thirsk and Ripon, which looks as though its outside Isobel's house. This might well be the very last filming they will do in the village.

https://twitter.com/pipshuck

http://however-whatever-whenever.tumblr.com/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A busy but happy day at Bampton filming a wedding:) Whose remains unclear but only two options I believe.

https://twitter.com/downtonpip
  • LadyOfShalottLadyOfShalott Posts: 3,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A busy but happy day at Bampton filming a wedding:) Whose remains unclear but only two options I believe.

Only two? There are a lot of unmarried people in Downton, after all. Or are as we enter series 6.

The drama is starting to enter "last" territory. Last day here, last day there....

A little bit more filming in Bampton still to come and the crew will be at Alnwick Castle from July 13 for about five days, I believe. I'm glad they're returning to Alnwick - it's much nicer than Highclere (of course there's plenty of filming still to do there too). Beautiful place.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only two? There are a lot of unmarried people in Downton, after all. Or are as we enter series 6.

The drama is starting to enter "last" territory. Last day here, last day there....

A little bit more filming in Bampton still to come and the crew will be at Alnwick Castle from July 13 for about five days, I believe. I'm glad they're returning to Alnwick - it's much nicer than Highclere (of course there's plenty of filming still to do there too). Beautiful place.

Its nice to see someone else is alive on this thread:D Until the last couple of days little has leaked from filming of this series, the odd pic but really very little.

Yes there has already been a wedding early in the series Carson and Mrs Hughes with attendant guests dressed in every day clothes, including Robert. A wedding with horse and carriage dressed for the occasion and notable guests Lord Merton in mourning suit and Isobel suitably attired to attend a society wedding limits the options. I don't think it was Isobel and Lord M. I can't imagine Isobel wanting a grand wedding. Mary or Edith spring to mind. As they will be filming at Alnwick castle I tend to lean towards Edith insomuch as that could be a reason for the family to visit. A 5 day shoot suggests a small party of actors travelling north. Also out of the grouse season. Of course the visit north might have nothing to do with Edith and its Mary's wedding.:confused:

I visited Alnwick castle a couple of weeks ago and two separate members of staff mentioned they were expecting them back to film but they didn't know the dates. It was most enjoyable. We had a room steward who was telling us about last year's filming and how the various items like the very large wide screen TV the crew didn't want to remove from its location, was hidden from view. In one of the out buildings there's a short video running on a loop with interview with the Duke and Duchess and leading members of their staff involved with the day to day management of the estate talking about the filming. The Duke's chef cooked over 100 grouse for the day they shot the scene around the dinner table.

It looks as though its straight to Alnwick as soon as they finish at Highclere, as the latter opens to the public on 12/7.

Downtonpip who lives right opposite yesterday's filming was tweeting away. I shall keep any eye on her twitter a/c for their return. She was allowed inside the privacy screen but sworn to keep what she saw secret.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Today they have been filming a motor car race at Goodwood. What a lovely day to be there.

http://www.rexfeatures.com/livefeed/2015/06/30/downton_abbey_filming_at_goodwood,_west_sussex
    Forum Member
    I'd love to visit Bampton, not just because Downton is filmed there, but because the Hugh de Singleton series of books is set there too and I'd love to 'walk in his footsteps'.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    seejay63 wrote: »
    I'd love to visit Bampton, not just because Downton is filmed there, but because the Hugh de Singleton series of books is set there too and I'd love to 'walk in his footsteps'.

I haven't heard of those stories - are they like the Brother Cadfael books?

I was at a wedding at the church in Bampton a few years ago. The area where they film the Downton village scene is very pretty and a perfect setting, but the rest of the village isn't much to write home about, to be honest. I wonder how much of the medieval footprint is left? I must admit we didn't spend much time there.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its nice to see someone else is alive on this thread:D Until the last couple of days little has leaked from filming of this series, the odd pic but really very little.

Hello, Zip!
    Yes there has already been a wedding early in the series Carson and Mrs Hughes with attendant guests dressed in every day clothes, including Robert. A wedding with horse and carriage dressed for the occasion and notable guests Lord Merton in mourning suit and Isobel suitably attired to attend a society wedding limits the options. I don't think it was Isobel and Lord M. I can't imagine Isobel wanting a grand wedding. Mary or Edith spring to mind. As they will be filming at Alnwick castle I tend to lean towards Edith insomuch as that could be a reason for the family to visit. A 5 day shoot suggests a small party of actors travelling north. Also out of the grouse season. Of course the visit north might have nothing to do with Edith and its Mary's wedding.:confused:

A morning suit, I rather think! :o

It could also be Tom, or Rosamund, or the Dowager!

Actually, what needs bearing in mind is that it's 1925 and people behaved in certain ways according to not just class but age, too. People generally not only knew their place but conformed to what was expected of them. Marriages were much more low key than today and there were rules to be followed, for example, if the principals were middle-aged and marrying for the first time, or had been widowed. Decorum was everything.
    I visited Alnwick castle a couple of weeks ago and two separate members of staff mentioned they were expecting them back to film but they didn't know the dates. It was most enjoyable. We had a room steward who was telling us about last year's filming and how the various items like the very large wide screen TV the crew didn't want to remove from its location, was hidden from view. In one of the out buildings there's a short video running on a loop with interview with the Duke and Duchess and leading members of their staff involved with the day to day management of the estate talking about the filming. The Duke's chef cooked over 100 grouse for the day they shot the scene around the dinner table.
    It's a fabulous place, isn't it? And it's very much a family home.
    It looks as though its straight to Alnwick as soon as they finish at Highclere, as the latter opens to the public on 12/7.
    Highclere isn't open to the public on Fridays and Saturdays, even during the summer season. Carnival generally books a few days for Christmas Special filming so there's no reason why the crew won't be back at Highclere after 12/7.
    Today they have been filming a motor car race at Goodwood. What a lovely day to be there.

The inclusion of a motor-racing character is SUCH a good storyline (notwithstanding the issues of how Matthew died and how that might affect Mary). It was a time when cars were a way of life for a certain type of man (not a certain class of man) and it's going to be interesting to see that portrayed on screen. And, of course, motor racing makes for some brilliant set pieces.:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hello, Zip!

A morning suit, I rather think! :o

Mea culpa. I posted late at night and when I looked earlier today I realised my mistake. Unfortunately DS doesn't allow you to edit later (think it only gives you 15-30 minutes from posting), as another board I use does.

Actually, what needs bearing in mind is that it's 1925 and people behaved in certain ways according to not just class but age, too. People generally not only knew their place but conformed to what was expected of them. Marriages were much more low key than today and there were rules to be followed, for example, if the principals were middle-aged and marrying for the first time, or had been widowed. Decorum was everything.

I agree decorum was everything. At this point I still tend think it's either Edith or Mary's wedding mainly because of the horse and carriage. Also the children were there. I know George is Isobel grandson but would he and the other children attend Isobel's wedding. You could say the same for M and E but if it is one of them marrying it's a little more understandable.

It's a fabulous place, isn't it? And it's very much a family home.

Oh yes very much a family home. On the video the Duke and Duchess gave their reasons for allowing Downton to film in the state rooms, Downton would show off the house at its best, whereas all other films/TV filmed have only been allowed in the castle grounds.

It was busy when we were there and that's before the schools breakup. We had to return the following day to view the gardens, as we had run out of time.

Highclere isn't open to the public on Fridays and Saturdays, even during the summer season. Carnival generally books a few days for Christmas Special filming so there's no reason why the crew won't be back at Highclere after 12/7.

I got the impression when we visited Highclere that one of the reasons they closed Friday/Saturday was for weddings. Those days had been allocated for that reason. Of course, they may not have a wedding every Friday or Saturday.

The inclusion of a motor-racing character is SUCH a good storyline (notwithstanding the issues of how Matthew died and how that might affect Mary). It was a time when cars were a way of life for a certain type of man (not a certain class of man) and it's going to be interesting to see that portrayed on screen. And, of course, motor racing makes for some brilliant set pieces.:)

Again I agree. According to reports, not confirmed, they shot a crash scene out of sight of the main track and cameras. I think it would have a dramatic effect on Mary. I was a little surprised she didn't react, other than obviously having taken a fancy to him, in the CS when he told her the car was his and jumped in and drove off at pace.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

A morning suit, I rather think!
    Mea culpa. I posted late at night and when I looked earlier today I realised my mistake. Unfortunately DS doesn't allow you to edit later (think it only gives you 15-30 minutes from posting), as another board I use does.

I shouldn't have pointed it out (sorry) but it made me laugh as we know the Granthans only go to church for three reasons - hatch, match or despatch!
    I agree decorum was everything. At this point I still tend think it's either Edith or Mary's wedding mainly because of the horse and carriage. Also the children were there. I know George is Isobel grandson but would he and the other children attend Isobel's wedding. You could say the same for M and E but if it is one of them marrying it's a little more understandable.

Logical thinking. Of course, Mary and Edith both have experience of a wedding in that church. Would Mary marry her second husband in the same church as her first? Would Edith want a village wedding at the church where she was abandoned at the altar (though maybe that would make for an interesting, emotional dilemma)?
    I got the impression when we visited Highclere that one of the reasons they closed Friday/Saturday was for weddings. Those days had been allocated for that reason. Of course, they may not have a wedding every Friday or Saturday.

The house could be booked for any sort of corporate event - it doesn't have to be weddings. Some of those "event" days are booked for Downton way, way way in advance. I don't know about this year but previously filming has taken place during the summer season. One year the press launch was even held at Highclere, though recently it's been at the May Fair Hotel.
    Again I agree. According to reports, not confirmed, they shot a crash scene out of sight of the main track and cameras. I think it would have a dramatic effect on Mary. I was a little surprised she didn't react, other than obviously having taken a fancy to him, in the CS when he told her the car was his and jumped in and drove off at pace.
    I thought she did react - she was certainly surprised to hear about his interest (and very conveniently she hadn't told him how Matthew died!). Then the story moved on, allowing the Mary/Henry/motors love triangle to be played out in series 6. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Something else about weddings which I meant to mention before. You're right, ZIp - in the photos taken by someone in Bampton earlier this week, Isobel and Lord Merton are appropriately dressed for a wedding.

A wedding would naturally be formal (ie, morning dress) unless it involved the lower classes - hence the to-do when Branson arrived back at Downton in series 3 unsuitably attired. Of course, the easiest thing to do would have been the family to quietly provide him with suitable clothing before he arrived but arrived but that wouldn't have been as much fun to watch!

I'm not sure the children would be at any wedding unless there were directly involved (bridesmaids and page boy) but Downton plays fast and loose at times and includes them in group scenes such as the dedication of the war memorial and the Christmas Eve party. I like that - it's a drama, not a documentary after all and it's always nice to see all the characters gathered together.

We'll see quite a few scenes like this in s6. :)
    Forum Member
    I haven't heard of those stories - are they like the Brother Cadfael books?

They're mediaeval murder mysteries about a physician/bailiff in Bampton in the 14th century, written by Mel Starr.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Following on the wedding theme a couple of pics of Mary and Edith taken at Bampton have appeared.

http://you-had-me-at-downton.tumblr.com/

Mary certainly looks dressed for a wedding. Edith choice of costume doesn't look like something colour and style wise that a bride of her background would wear. Mary's does, although the colour is a little bland. Also, Edith is wearing flatties, somewhat too modern for that period, which she may have worn on her way to the set or after filming on her way back to her trailer. Perhaps her shoes were giving her grief. On the other hand may be her feet weren't shown in her scenes so it would make little difference.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alistair Bruce posted a tweet of some of the cast and crew standing for the 1 minute silence. the only cast members I could see was possibly Daisy and Andy the new footman.

https://twitter.com/AlastairBruce_/status/617068097502097409

Also pics of Maggie Smith and the back of Elizabeth McGovern at Bampton and Tom, Henry, Thomas and Andy at Highclere, courtesy of Tumblr.

http://however-whatever-whenever.tumblr.com/

I haven't seen any photos of Robert. I wonder if his character is still alive? Only saying in case they should have a death in the series.