The Barge Trip on Four goes slow

1235»

Comments

• Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davidseven wrote: »
    Was it? I was listening on headphones and you could hear talking and laughing from passing boats, the cyclists and sounds of runners on the tow path matched. More likely a good choice of microphones, placement and a post mix to enhance the natural sounds.

I think they over-did "the noise of the wind through the trees" for what wind there was, when they passed some, sounded close to a hurricane.
  • Options
    Ex PatEx Pat Posts: 7,514
    Forum Member
    njp wrote: »
    Except when you've written it?
    Have you anything to contribute to this other than argueing and getting your post count up.

I couldn't give a crap what you believe. Anybody with experience in sound recording, and many with none, can tell this was dubbed. Believe what you want. Who cares.
  • Options
    LittleGirlOf7LittleGirlOf7 Posts: 9,344
    Forum Member
    There is some sound mixing but as far as I can tell there's no overdubbing.

At the start, as the boat goes into the lock, it goes from one sound edit to another when the shot cuts to inside the lock. From that point the sound heard in the film is what was captured at the same time as the following 2 hour single shot until the end when it blends into another sound edit as the aerial shot pans out. Overdubbing suggests that sounds were added in the edit, which I don't believe is the case here. There are too many audible details that would either be lost in an overdub or mis-match with what can be seen and heard naturally. The sound and pictures were recorded simultaneously in my opinion.

There are separate sound mixing points during the black and white visual blends. When these come in the sound from the 2 hour shot fades out into a different sound edit and then fades back in as the picture returns to colour. This is not the same as overdubbing, just a mix of two separate sound edits.
  • Options
    roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wheres Prunella & Hubby gone?
  • Options
    Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,495
    Forum Member
    If they did edit together different segments of video then the joins were very well hidden. Anyway, there haven't been any headlines in the Mail about "BBC CAUGHT LYING ABOUT UNEDITED CANAL TRIP" so I reckon it's genuine.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 240
    Forum Member
    I don't have a clue if it was overdubbed or not, but I don't recall hearing any engine noise which I assume you do if you're on a barge.
  • Options
    mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member
    Straker wrote: »
    I too scrutinised the end credits because the opening and closing shots were so smooth and noticed a credit for "image stabilisation" so I guess drone shots are not quite as steady as those beautiful images would have us believe!

Quite a lot of Top Gear's aeriel footage was provided using drone camera's, they're very good these days,
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they did edit together different segments of video then the joins were very well hidden. Anyway, there haven't been any headlines in the Mail about "BBC CAUGHT LYING ABOUT UNEDITED CANAL TRIP" so I reckon it's genuine.

The Mail are often not quite sure to do because they instinctively want to knock the BBC but find it difficult when it is obvious to even them that a programme has been a success,

Two hour BBC documentary showing just a journey down a CANAL with no presenters or music gets twice as many viewers as the usual slot
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Po-ta-to wrote: »
    I don't have a clue if it was overdubbed or not, but I don't recall hearing any engine noise which I assume you do if you're on a barge.

The engines will be at the back and are not very noisy, with forward facing directional microphones there might be little pickup of the engines. I would have thought there could be several microphones in an arc at the front so they can edit out sounds from one direction. Surprised actually that (in the part that I have watched so far) that no sound from people on other boats or the banks, you often find people talking to boats going past.
  • Options
    njpnjp Posts: 27,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I often used to sit at the front when somebody else was steering, and the engine is rather quiet. Certainly with directional microphones you wouldn't pick it up unless you wanted to. There are points where the sound of the engine becomes slightly more apparent as it reflects off built structures.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    The engines will be at the back and are not very noisy, with forward facing directional microphones there might be little pickup of the engines. I would have thought there could be several microphones in an arc at the front so they can edit out sounds from one direction. Surprised actually that (in the part that I have watched so far) that no sound from people on other boats or the banks, you often find people talking to boats going past.
    I specifically listened out for that. You can in fact hear some muted exchanges, so my feeling is that minimising those sounds is a conscious decision on the part of the sound mixer.

At one point a boat comes past quite fast on the left, and is suspiciously quiet. However, this boat is the Lady Lena, which is a Victorian electric launch!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had a look around on the Web and Twitter but was surprised that I could not find any pictures of the BBC barge or equipment. There is one of a barge with a BBC banner on the side but too small to see any detail and I would be surprised if they badged the barge when filming because I would have thought it would attract too much attention.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    The Mail are often not quite sure to do because they instinctively want to knock the BBC but find it difficult when it is obvious to even them that a programme has been a success,

Two hour BBC documentary showing just a journey down a CANAL with no presenters or music gets twice as many viewers as the usual slot

I read that this morning and thought it was quite complimentary. They also complimented the BBC on George Gently and that comedy drama on BBC3.

How "difficult" for them was that? They needn't have said anything about any of the programmes.
  • Options
    JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aargh! They are narrow boats, not barges! There is a difference.
  • Options
    Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,495
    Forum Member

I did hear the engine when it cleared the lock at the start but thereafter I wasn't aware of it.

I think there was a BBC assistant off-screen hurling ducks into the canal to spice things up a bit.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did hear the engine when it cleared the lock at the start but thereafter I wasn't aware of it.

I think there was a BBC assistant off-screen hurling ducks into the canal to spice things up a bit.

I noticed one which looked at one time as if it were going to ram the boat head on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I noticed one which looked at one time as if it were going to ram the boat head on.
    I've seen an angry swan attack a narrow boat. He mounted a broadside assault though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I often used to sit at the front when somebody else was steering, and the engine is rather quiet. Certainly with directional microphones you wouldn't pick it up unless you wanted to. There are points where the sound of the engine becomes slightly more apparent as it reflects off built structures.
    I specifically listened out for that. You can in fact hear some muted exchanges, so my feeling is that minimising those sounds is a conscious decision on the part of the sound mixer.

Thank you for clarifying. :)
  • Options
    CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JeffG1 wrote: »
    Aargh! They are narrow boats, not barges! There is a difference.

At last, someone has pointed this out, thanks.
  • Options
    mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jesus Chrisps I though this was just a very nice programme. Nerdish arguments are not what we need when trying to get some peace and quiet!
  • Options
    tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mike65 wrote: »
    Jesus Chrisps I though this was just a very nice programme. Nerdish arguments are not what we need when trying to get some peace and quiet!

Yes, its all got a bit angry hasnt it
  • Options
    Forum Member
    tiacat wrote: »
    Yes, its all got a bit angry hasnt it

I suppose at least the arguing didn't start while we were enjoying the solitude of the programme!