Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 64)

Comments

• Options
    david_leewarddavid_leeward Posts: 2,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dan R wrote: »
    Well obviously! It would have been >10m without Eurovision! But Eurovision is only a once-a-year event so it's to be expected.

That's what we did, I'm sure people will catch up on bgt today. I thought Eurovision would of had a bigger rating of 6.6 to be fair
  • Options
    FuddFudd Posts: 167,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Score wrote: »
    Correct. :)

7.7m (37%) for BGT tapechecked and with +1. The fact only 21m were watching TV during BGT's slot just shows the weather clearly took its toll. Up against Eurovision 37% isn't that bad but the raw figure is low (I did call it yesterday though). Ninja Warrior got its lowest audience in weeks but the share held up which adds further stock to the argument.

It is only 8% down on the same show last year despite Eurovision being there this year though. I think maybe there's a bit of a (minor) issue with that reveal show that they could do with fixing as the numbers have been lacklustre for it for a while now.

Overall average of 9.83m for this year's BGT auditions, up 3% on last year. Pulled down quite a lot by one lower rating though which is a shame. As has already been pointed out, it didn't face Eurovision last year.

The raw figure wouldn't be an issue if the share was still even just over 40%. Considering the poor Eurovision showing, relatively speaking, I think Britain's Got Talent should have been capable of scraping another million together. Bear in mind that Eurovision's figure no doubt increased from twenty past 9 onwards so rated below the average whilst Britain's Got Talent was on air.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jay Lee wrote: »
    And you expect the BBC and the European Broadcasting Union to move Eurovision for Britain's Got Talent and Simon Cowell's ego?

They've already said on the thread that they didn't mean that. :)
  • Options
    Jay LeeJay Lee Posts: 4,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fudd wrote: »
    They've already said on the thread that they didn't mean that. :)

Fair enough. Point retracted.

Having said that, I still stand by the overall point that I am making: people are crying foul when BGT takes a slight hit in the viewing figures (despite the fact it still topped the day). When EastEnders fans do the same when its overnight viewing figure is hit because of Emmerdale / BGT clashes, it's a different story.
  • Options
    KennyTKennyT Posts: 20,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    1864 ep1: 0.35m (1.7%)
    1864 ep2: 0.34m (1.9%)
    tusen takk!

K
  • Options
    West End BoyWest End Boy Posts: 870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does that BGT rating include +1?

I did not expect it to go that low after clearing 10m for the last 6-weeks.

With BGT you can catch up today, or just not bother and start to watch on Monday which many will do.
  • Options
    JokanovicJokanovic Posts: 12,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In an era of soap audiences decling it's hardly a great idea to put shows opposite each other.
  • Options
    ScoreScore Posts: 17,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The raw figure wouldn't be an issue if the share was still even just over 40%. Considering the poor Eurovision showing, relatively speaking, I think Britain's Got Talent should have been capable of scraping another million together. Bear in mind that Eurovision's figure no doubt increased from twenty past 9 onwards so rated below the average whilst Britain's Got Talent was on air.

Perhaps, although as I say I don't think it was just Eurovision that had an affect last night. Last night, BGT had 50% of the "non-BBC" audience (assuming Eurovision had 5.5m against BGT and 7.2m afterwards, seems reasonable given the peak) whereas on the last Bank Holiday weekend 3 weeks ago (thought that was the best comparison to use to control for the BH effect) it had 53.4% of the non-BBC audience.

So had BBC1 rated the same as it did 3 weeks ago, and the other networks held up in the same way, I reckon BGT would have gotten a 44.3% share (based on the 47.3% it got 3 weeks ago). Had the total TV audience been the same as that week that would have given it an audience of 9.5m (based on 10.1m 3 weeks ago). So I reckon it being the reveal show knocked about 0.6m off, holding everything else constant. That means the other 1.8m came from a combination of Eurovision and the nicer weather. If it was a 50/50 split you're probably looking at 0.9m from each affect, which seems plausible enough.

I get that it's a pretty unscientific study making some assumptions but I think it paints a decent enough picture of how it ended up at 7.7m last night.
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wonder if 1864 should be tested on BBC1 or BBC2 instead of BBC4?
  • Options
    C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eurovision had 5.27m from 8pm-9.15pm. Obviously with it being a very similar thing to BGT there will have been significant audience crossover but there are clearly other factors at play - the bank holiday weekend and good weather seems to have taken its toll on both Friday and Saturday ratings across the board. And the final auditions episode of BGT has been a low point for a couple of years now. If being up against something like Eurovision only caused a drop of 8% then that's not a huge worry.

Eurovision didn't go above 7.5m until 11pm. When BGT finished it jumped from 5.9m to 7.0m but then didn't keep rising, it just levelled out. So it just looks like a down night all round. Had it bounced into the 8's and 9's like usual you could put it down to BGT competition but there seems to be (as with BGT) other factors.

Now of course BGT goes into the live shows which continue to have the same format that has never really worked for them. With Corrie being so much weaker as well that's not going to help the already poor results shows.
    Overall average of 9.83m for this year's BGT auditions, up 3% on last year. Pulled down quite a lot by one lower rating though which is a shame. As has already been pointed out, it didn't face Eurovision last year.

6 eps above 10m but the average won't be, they do need to sort out the last episode for next year I think. Its becoming an issue over and over again.

Also this year, there was no massive spike for a football episode. The last couple of years have had one ep that considerably outrated the rest on the back of an FA Cup lead-in.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jay Lee wrote: »
    Fair enough. Point retracted.

Having said that, I still stand by the overall point that I am making: people are crying foul when BGT takes a slight hit in the viewing figures (despite the fact it still topped the day). When EastEnders fans do the same when its overnight viewing figure is hit because of Emmerdale / BGT clashes, it's a different story.

I think, as I said yesterday, people cry foul over different things. Some do it over soap clashes. Sone do it over light entertainment clashes. The truth is there's enough free air on both BBC One and ITV to ensure clashes of this nature do not occur.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Perhaps, although as I say I don't think it was just Eurovision that had an affect last night. Last night, BGT had 50% of the "non-BBC" audience (assuming Eurovision had 5.5m against BGT and 7.2m afterwards, seems reasonable given the peak) whereas on the last Bank Holiday weekend 3 weeks ago (thought that was the best comparison to use to control for the BH effect) it had 53.4% of the non-BBC audience.

So had BBC1 rated the same as it did 3 weeks ago, and the other networks held up in the same way, I reckon BGT would have gotten a 44.3% share (based on the 47.3% it got 3 weeks ago). Had the total TV audience been the same as that week that would have given it an audience of 9.5m (based on 10.1m 3 weeks ago). So I reckon it being the reveal show knocked about 0.6m off, holding everything else constant. That means the other 1.8m came from a combination of Eurovision and the nicer weather. If it was a 50/50 split you're probably looking at 0.9m from each affect, which seems plausible enough.

I get that it's a pretty unscientific study making some assumptions but I think it paints a decent enough picture of how it ended up at 7.7m last night.

Thanks, I think I understand that. :D

So maybe the question that should be asked is why does the reveal show tend to lose momentum and can they do anything to stop this from happening? This seems to be an issue beyond Eurovision or the weather. Maybe extending the show so there's a proper auditions programme before the results would help. Cutting down the deliberation part so it doesn't take up a break. Keeping it a secret the revealing the live acts before each semi-final? There must be something they can try.
  • Options
    Dan RDan R Posts: 2,201
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks, I think I understand that. :D

So maybe the question that should be asked is why does the reveal show tend to lose momentum and can they do anything to stop this from happening? This seems to be an issue beyond Eurovision or the weather. Maybe extending the show so there's a proper auditions programme before the results would help. Cutting down the deliberation part so it doesn't take up a break. Keeping it a secret the revealing the live acts before each semi-final? There must be something they can try.
    The deliberation episode has just had bad scheduling, in 2013 & 2014 it went on Sunday, I know in 2014 it started at 7pm...and then of course this year was the competition! I actually think it would have fared better on Sunday this year! It's just an unluckily timed episode. Without shifting the whole series around there might not be much that can be done.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But I think this could still be up on last year & the year before if it gets high catch-up and +1 figures...although going from 7.7m to over 10.66m is gonna be a challenge.
  • Options
    Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't get the surprised faces for BB
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah well, next will be more interesting as last year's live shows rated really badly. We can of course expect a drop from the auditions shows but if it can average 9-11m on show 1 and then 8-9 on the other semis then we should be up YOY.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dan R wrote: »
    The deliberation episode has just had bad scheduling, in 2013 & 2014 it went on Sunday, I know in 2014 it started at 7pm...and then of course this year was the competition! I actually think it would have fared better on Sunday this year! It's just an unluckily timed episode. Without shifting the whole series around there might not be much that can be done.

I think last year it was on Saturday but at 7pm. 2013 was presumably switched due to the Champions League final? Next year might have an England friendly in the build up to Euro 2016. I reckon Eurovision will be earlier; it was unusually late this year.

EDIT: Eurovision is on May 14th next year.
  • Options
    JordyDJordyD Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With BGT you can catch up today, or just not bother and start to watch on Monday which many will do.

Yes, like me.:D I'll be recording the live shows and watch them an hour or so later, as I don't want to waste these lovely light nights.:D
  • Options
    Roscoe BarnesRoscoe Barnes Posts: 6,360
    Forum Member
    So, an underperforming episode of BGT has finally got the thread moving again... :p
    Pretty sure it does. Not sure if it's tapechecked though (it did end slightly early).

Nor did I. I think especially given how low Eurovision was its a pretty poor rating.

However, with Eurovision being so long, people probably won't have watched BGT afterwards, so it didn't even have chance to make anything up through same day timeshift, hence why it took a big whack.

Plus I'm not sure how much appeal this episode has anyway. It's a bit like boot camp at X Factor which tends to see a dip. Last year it was low (8.4m) for no good reason (the weather was pretty poor) which suggests it's not an episode with massive appeal anyway. Perhaps that explains it a bit.

The last two years the final auditions episode has aired in the Sunday slot - and I wonder who many people actually remember the seventh auditions episode is also decision episode of who makes it to the lives?! We use that as a reason it's been so low in the past - but maybe poor scheduling is also a major factor here as I imagine the wider audience forget that the final episode is taken up by not much happening at all.
    Correct. :)

7.7m (37%) for BGT tapechecked and with +1. The fact only 21m were watching TV during BGT's slot just shows the weather clearly took its toll. Up against Eurovision 37% isn't that bad but the raw figure is low (I did call it yesterday though). Ninja Warrior got its lowest audience in weeks but the share held up which adds further stock to the argument.

It is only 8% down on the same show last year despite Eurovision being there this year though. I think maybe there's a bit of a (minor) issue with that reveal show that they could do with fixing as the numbers have been lacklustre for it for a while now.

That was one plus point last year when they ran the show at 7PM every week. I think they should have aired the final auditions episode tonight to be honest. It would have done better. I do think people are overreacting to this 7.7m rating.

2014: final auditions episode: 8.4m, live show 1: 9.6m
    2013: final auditions episode: 8.6m, live show 1: 10.3m

So it did bounce back rather well the next day. All those numbers include +1.
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JordyD wrote: »
    Yes, like me.:D I'll be recording the live shows and watch them an hour or so later, as I don't want to waste these lovely light nights.:D

Don't bother, Its rubbish :D
  • Options
    yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member
    While its down on other years I dont think the Eurovision number is so bad. 6.6m for 3 hours+ is much more than normal and BBC got a 29% share.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    C14E wrote: »
    Now of course BGT goes into the live shows which continue to have the same format that has never really worked for them. With Corrie being so much weaker as well that's not going to help the already poor results shows.

The weakness of Corrie is definitely going to hurt them and as you say the results shows weren't great last year anyway. Here's a reminder of last year:

Monday
    7.30pm Britain's Got Talent - 9.58m (41.0%)
    9.00pm Coronation Street - 9.03m (37.7%)
    9.30pm Britain's Got Talent Results - 8.15m (35.2%)

7.30pm EastEnders - 5.10m (22.3%)
    8.00pm Pirates of The Caribbean 4 - 3.07m (13.1%)

Tuesday
    7.30pm Britain's Got Talent - 8.24m (36.8%)
    9.00pm Coronation Street - 8.66m (35.1%)
    9.30pm Britain's Got Talent Results - 6.96m (29.7%)

7.30pm EastEnders - 5.38m (24.7%)
    8.00pm Holby City - 3.56m (15.7%)
    9.00pm - Happy Valley - 5.30m (22.2%)

Wednesday
    7.30pm Britain's Got Talent - 8.48m (38.2%)
    9.00pm Coronation Street - 9.11m (38.0%)
    9.30pm Britain's Got Talent Results - 7.09m (31.3%)

7.30pm ??? (wasn't EastEnders, may have been 60 min One Show)
    8.00pm Watchdog - 3.40m (15.0%)
    9.00pm Delboys & Dealers - 3.00m (12.7%)

Thursday
    7.30pm Britain's Got Talent - 8.45m (38.7%)
    9.00pm Coronation Street - 9.18m (39.5%)
    9.30pm Britain's Got Talent Results - 7.74m (35.0%)

7.30pm EastEnders - 5.28m (24.8%)
    8.00pm Food Inspectors - 2.30m (10.3%)
    9.00pm From Here To There - 2.40m (10.7%)

Saturday
    7.00pm Britain's Got Talent - 7.75m (41.1%)
    8.30pm World Cup Epic Fails - 3.59m (18.5%)
    9.30pm Britain's Got Talent Results - 6.12m (29.8%)

7.00pm Pointless Celebrities - 3.17m (17.5%)
    7.50pm In It To Win It - 2.95m (15.0%)
    8.40pm Casualty - 4.27m (22.0%)
    9.30pm Mrs Brown's Boys (r) - 3.13m (15.3%)

Final (Saturday 7th June)
    7.00pm Britain's Got Talent Final - 10.81m (51.3%)

7.20pm BBC News - 2.26m (11.6%)
    7.35pm BBC Regional News - 2.48m (12.1%)
    7.40pm Pointless World Cup Special - 2.74m (13.1%)
    8.30pm In It to Win It - 2.69m (12.1%)
    9.20pm Casualty - 3.55m (16.4%)

The results shows got pretty low last year. Positives and negatives for this year:

+ No day off for football.
    + No Saturday semi-final with an earlier start and drivel in the sandwich slot.
    + BBC1 a bit weaker in the 9pm hour this year.

- Corrie much weaker which could damage the results shows.
    - Worse rating for the final auditions show going into the week.

+/- Sunday final. Not sure whether that's a good thing or a bad thing.
    6 eps above 10m but the average won't be, they do need to sort out the last episode for next year I think. Its becoming an issue over and over again.

Also this year, there was no massive spike for a football episode. The last couple of years have had one ep that considerably outrated the rest on the back of an FA Cup lead-in.

They need to do something but I'm not sure what. In 2011 they got some acts to perform again which bulked it out a bit and I thought it worked quite well. Clearly they didn't much like it though as they never did it again.

Maybe next year they could just not show the reveal and instead reveal the acts to the audience on the live shows as they come out to perform. They wouldn't announce them on the day or anything, literally with each act it could be "and the next act is..." and announce who it is and have them perform. The final auditions show could then just be a proper auditions show.

That hadn't occurred to me with the football, which makes being up seem more impressive. Also just remembered that in 2013 the final auditions show played at 8pm and got 8.6m (40%). That seems in line with last night and does suggest there is a bit of an issue with the final audition show.
  • Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ASH2 wrote: »
    BB - 594k (2.9%)
    CSI - 598k (3.5%)

BB is not worth a Saturday show, they would get more viewers showing more CSI (I can't believe I wrote that :D )

Bear in mind, BB was against the ESC and BGT, and also the weather was nice, so such a low rating is to be expected. I do wonder, as a lot of the show's audience are out, if scrapping it on Saturdays would be a good idea as the older audience, who tend not to watch BB, would appreciate CSI more.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ignore.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In other news, ITV had a rare bit of weekend daytime ratings joy yesterday. Harry Potter and The Philosopher's Stone once again did decent business despite the warm Bank Holiday weekend, averaging 1.52m (18.3%) from 2.45pm yesterday across nearly 3 hours. It comfortably won the slot and the share is at least double if not triple the slot average.
This discussion has been closed.