Options

FIFA Officials arrested in dawn raid inZurich

Comments

• Options
    NihongaNihonga Posts: 10,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

No amount of expensive handbags should let a women stoop low enough to have sex with him.

#pass me the sickbag.

Being beaten with the ugly stick has nothing on money making a distinctively fugly bloke look very, very attractive.After all, what's 20 minutes of shutting your eyes and thinking of a delightfully expensive Gucci handbag - better still a pair of Prada shoes - whose durability will last a lifetime as you lie on a delicious king-sized bed in the penhouse suite at The Dorcester? 'tis no sacrifice...
  • Options
    NorthernNinnyNorthernNinny Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nihonga wrote: »
    Being beaten with the ugly stick has nothing on money making a distinctively fugly bloke look very, very attractive.After all, what's 20 minutes of shutting your eyes and thinking of a delightfully expensive Gucci handbag - better still a pair of Prada shoes - whose durability will last a lifetime as you lie on a delicious king-sized bed in the penhouse suite at The Dorcester? 'tis no sacrifice...

20 minutes ? :p

5 is enough to give me nightmares. King sized bed or not.

:D
  • Options
    EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    codeblue wrote: »
    Idiots in uefa like Spain and France would not want to pull out

One wonders why Spain and France would want Blatter as President..........
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What they want is for the little fish to rat out the big fish.

It's good to see Herr blatter is taking this opportunity to clean up fifa. Good to know most of the world supports him.

If UEFA seceded from fifa and formed say a world football federation, what might happen is that fifa might ban their players from playing in WFF tournaments.

So no African and south American players in European football. Fifa would collapse inside 2 seasons without euro money

UEFA have all the power, if they have the guts to use it.
  • Options
    NorthernNinnyNorthernNinny Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It's good to see Herr blatter is taking this opportunity to clean up fifa. Good to know most of the world supports him.

If UEFA seceded from fifa and formed say a world football federation, what might happen is that fifa might ban their players from playing in WFF tournaments.

So no African and south American players in European football. Fifa would collapse inside 2 seasons without euro money

It really is a no brainer isn't it.

Time they sorted out this sorry excuse of an Mafia style organisation.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 390
    Forum Member

Are you nuts? Platini asked Blatter to quit,

The corruption at FIFA has happened for decades, document by the US.

Surely this is a clear atempt, with stealth and a lot of evidence for the FBI to conduct this operation. They don't spend years on a scandal within 'soccer' without proof, conducting a raid so soon before the election. There will be a mole. Someone will squeal.

The Prince didn't quit the vote through defeat or default, it could have gone to a second vote. He must know something in this chess game and will probably hope to get the vote in the next few days/weeks to help clean this mess up.
  • Options
    alan29alan29 Posts: 34,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FIFA sucks up global TV money, not pennies from the likes of UEFA.
  • Options
    taurus_67taurus_67 Posts: 6,956
    Forum Member
    alan29 wrote: »
    FIFA sucks up global TV money, not pennies from the likes of UEFA.

But do those global TV companies pay up the big money to watch Nigeria, Cameroon, Bangladesh and Vietnam?

African and Asian federations are always lobbying for more World Cup Finals places, usually wanting to take a European teams place, but it's hard fight because there's a lot of TV money coming with those Euro teams.
  • Options
    bingomanbingoman Posts: 23,940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Uefa Boycotted 2018 when the next quali rounds for 2022 Russia would not to play in Europe if that happened so could they apply to join AFC if UEFA did boycott:confused:
  • Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WHY have they voted this old doddering fool back in?
    oh right
    loads and loads of bribes i mean money

seriously, what in the HELL was he going on about today???

no wonder FIFA is in a sodding mess with this idiot "in charge" .....

oh and he even contradicted HIMSELF ..... yesterday he said he WASN'T GOING TO TAKE RESPONSIBILITY for anyone ..... then TODAY he said he WAS!!!!!

the guy is senile and needs to be put out to pasture
  • Options
    SaddlerSteveSaddlerSteve Posts: 4,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blatter just says whatever he thinks people want to hear. He's always saying something then later contradicting himself. At the previous election he said he wouldn't stand again if elected yet he's stood again and been elected. Remember he was against goal line technology then changed his mind and said it had to be brought in after the farcical decisions in the 2006 World Cup.

The guy is and odious toad however I suspect the horrible truth is that he hasn't done anything illegal himself which is why he's so smug. He knows there's nothing on him and that he's found a way to keep himself in place by allowing others to do the dirty work and take the risks.
  • Options
    TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blatter will stand until he is either dead or forced out!.

Fact is, the ones getting the freebies aren't just the delegates but the staff on Blatters payroll. If someone else took over, they would want their own team behind them, secretaries, aides and the like. Think about who makes the phone calls, arrange money transfers, well it wont be Blatter but his staff who do that so he realises they would talk if booted out by a new broom at FIFA.

World football has proved by this farce today that it is irredeemably corrupt, and since EUFA has shown that it is as pathetic as the rest of the odious scum, then lets hope the US tears the lot down, football deserves nothing better.
  • Options
    Jim De VilleJim De Ville Posts: 16,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Something about all of this is bothering me.

Even if it's all true (which looks likely), why are people so angry? Why is this the biggest news story going?

Football is a sport, which isn't enjoyed by a lot of people.

With the exception of the human rights implications (which I'm in no way trying to play down, or excuse), I really don't get why this is such a huge deal.

Is it because England have been marginalised by FIFA? We're not likely to ever stage another World Cup? We don't like rich blokes making a few extra quid, questionably?

I genuinely don't know, but I'm starting to question my own motives for wanting Blatter out.
  • Options
    FIN-MANFIN-MAN Posts: 1,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Something about all of this is bothering me.

Even if it's all true (which looks likely), why are people so angry? Why is this the biggest news story going?

Football is a sport, which isn't enjoyed by a lot of people.

With the exception of the human rights implications (which I'm in no way trying to play down, or excuse), I really don't get why this is such a huge deal.

Is it because England have been marginalised by FIFA? We're not likely to ever stage another World Cup? We don't like rich blokes making a few extra quid, questionably?

I genuinely don't know, but I'm starting to question my own motives for wanting Blatter out.

Excellent cast, just slowly reel your line in waiting for the little nibbles, then at the right time set the hook and reel them in. J/K:)
  • Options
    EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tourista wrote: »
    Blatter will stand until he is either dead or forced out!.

Fact is, the ones getting the freebies aren't just the delegates but the staff on Blatters payroll. If someone else took over, they would want their own team behind them, secretaries, aides and the like. Think about who makes the phone calls, arrange money transfers, well it wont be Blatter but his staff who do that so he realises they would talk if booted out by a new broom at FIFA.

World football has proved by this farce today that it is irredeemably corrupt, and since EUFA has shown that it is as pathetic as the rest of the odious scum, then lets hope the US tears the lot down, football deserves nothing better.

Diego Maradona was right when he said this week that there is something quite obscene about someone seeking their fifth term in office. Blatter must be a megalomaniac to have already been president for 16 years and to be seeking yet another four year term.
  • Options
    The_MothThe_Moth Posts: 7,751
    Forum Member
    Just a "devil's advocate" thought; apart from England not having a chance of staging a World Cup why does anyone care if FIFA is corrupt? It's not like any of that money is going to find it's way into our pockets. As much as anything isn't it just that people don't like Blatter (for whatever reason) and are looking for something to discredit him?
  • Options
    Mark FMark F Posts: 54,077
    Forum Member
    People just want a clean and fair sport (which might never happen) but maybe you are right to say some are even more bitter due to the fact we didn't get the 2018 World Cup.

It isn't just us kicking up a fuss though - most of Europe is.
  • Options
    taurus_67taurus_67 Posts: 6,956
    Forum Member
    Without wanting to sound too silly or jingoistic about it, I do think us Brits tend to expect a decent level of fair play in our sport. It's the same reason we get apoplectic about players diving about the penalty box. We've also been pointing an accusing finger at FIFA for years and years, so there might be a bit of 'we told you so' going on as well.

Either that or it's a very slow news week.
  • Options
    Xela MXela M Posts: 4,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    taurus_67 wrote: »
    Without wanting to sound too silly or jingoistic about it, I do think us Brits tend to expect a decent level of fair play in our sport. It's the same reason we get apoplectic about players diving about the penalty box. We've also been pointing an accusing finger at FIFA for years and years, so there might be a bit of 'we told you so' going on as well.

Either that or it's a very slow news week.

...or it's because football is the most popular sport in the world and this is actually HUGE news?!

Just by way of analogy, figure skating is one of the most marginalised sports there is with one of the worst reputations and nevertheless the 2002 Olympic judging scandal made huge headlines worldwide. FIFA is THEE most important sports organisation in the world, so it's not really surprising it's front page news. The US Attorney General is personally dealing with it, so it's pretty big.
  • Options
    Eddie hunterEddie hunter Posts: 4,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Xela M wrote: »
    ...or it's because football is the most popular sport in the world and this is actually HUGE news?!

Just by way of analogy, figure skating is one of the most marginalised sports there is with one of the worst reputations and nevertheless the 2002 Olympic judging scandal made huge headlines worldwide. FIFA is THEE most important sports organisation in the world, so it's not really surprising it's front page news. The US Attorney General is personally dealing with it, so it's pretty big.

However there is also more than a small element of "Little Englander" cheated by "Johnny Foreigner" that is allowing people to get all moral about this based on the fact that they feel they can now enhance their claim that this is the only reason why England haven't been awarded the World Cup.

Im not downplaying this but bribes and backhanders are common place events in order to win contracts all around the world and FIFA is a worldwide organisation so its hardly a shock. Replace FIFA, replace Blatter and it will still be a worldwide organisation governing a worldwide sport so it is still likely to go on.
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blatter is now taking the tactic of many dictators, in now blaming the US.

I don't think Fifa is any exception and do find everywhere that people in groups of power are self serving and do no give a shit about the actual game itself. It is like politics wirh many just fiddling around a bit with regulations etc in order to look like they are serving us. Power is their prime motivation, well ahead of any beautiful game, even if it happens to turn it into something ugly and nasty.

Fifa is now dead as a Dodo to me yet the world wide implications are massive.
    Sponsors may have to pull put otherwise their now 'ugly' brands will get boycotted by the likes of you and me, yet if their major market's are where bribes are just 'good business' then god help them !

The saddest thing I find is that we know conflict is 'natural animal' and football allows for the expression of it in a humanitarian way.
    Blatter has now, almost single handedly, dehumanised football.
  • Options
    Xela MXela M Posts: 4,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    However there is also more than a small element of "Little Englander" cheated by "Johnny Foreigner" that is allowing people to get all moral about this based on the fact that they feel they can now enhance their claim that this is the only reason why England haven't been awarded the World Cup.

Im not downplaying this but bribes and backhanders are common place events in order to win contracts all around the world and FIFA is a worldwide organisation so its hardly a shock. Replace FIFA, replace Blatter and it will still be a worldwide organisation governing a worldwide sport so it is still likely to go on.

But the news are just as big in Germany as they are in England, so that theory doesn't make sense. It is not just making headlines in England. It's front page news all over the world.
  • Options
    TATTOO62TATTOO62 Posts: 405
    Forum Member
    David Gill, as promised, has resigned from the executive committee. Cue the replacement from one of the mighty footballing nations from Oceania.
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2007, but it gives some background to it.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/scotland/2314439/McBeth-is-a-decent-and-honourable-man.html

Much if it is now up to Switzerland, historically the natural home of money laundering,
  • Options
    Eddie hunterEddie hunter Posts: 4,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Xela M wrote: »
    But the news are just as big in Germany as they are in England, so that theory doesn't make sense. It is not just making headlines in England. It's front page news all over the world.

Im referring to the rage displayed on places like this and of course I'm speaking from a UK point of view because that is where I am.

The fact it is being reported is no great surprise of course.