Options

The Missing

Comments

• Options
    MissMonkeyMooMissMonkeyMoo Posts: 3,375
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always thought it was Olly at the end because at the start of the episode we saw the same stick man drawing on the window and James' character could be seen through the same window. Initially I thought the second series was going to show that the mayor lied to his brother to keep him in check and that really he had Olly shipped off so he couldn't reveal what happened. I was gutted to find out that the second series is a completely different story!
  • Options
    iamianiamian Posts: 1,749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always thought it was Olly at the end because at the start of the episode we saw the same stick man drawing on the window and James' character could be seen through the same window.

I think most had assumed that it was James Nesbit's character that had drawn the stick figure in his tormented state,
  • Options
    Aurora13Aurora13 Posts: 30,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iamian wrote: »
    I think most had assumed that it was James Nesbit's character that had drawn the stick figure in his tormented state,

As Nesbit says he was directed to play the final scene as demented with Ollie dead. That means when this was filmed that was the intention. That was what we saw. Anything said since it was aired is folks having a bit of fun with viewers who hadn't grasped it and / or recon. Hope to god nothing more of this story in series 2 it's done and dusted.
  • Options
    Crawley CutieCrawley Cutie Posts: 10,948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think that they are 'playing' with viewers - in order to draw them in for series 2......:(

They are trading on the fact that, 'Did Ollie die' was the talking point at the end of the series !!

I really want them to start this one with a blank sheet...and......they, obviously, do- because James Nesbitt is not in it !!
  • Options
    TRIPSTRIPS Posts: 3,714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iamian wrote: »

Well, maybe your right but i assumed most people would realize it was a basic kids drawing, Even allowing for the big ears there must be millions of kids around the world who draw this type of drawing regularly. never thought it was drawn by Ollie though even if he was still alive as Ollie would have been 8 yrs older and not sure a kid that old would draw such a basic drawing but still possible.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think that they are 'playing' with viewers - in order to draw them in for series 2......:(

They are trading on the fact that, 'Did Ollie die' was the talking point at the end of the series !!

I really want them to start this one with a blank sheet...and......they, obviously, do- because James Nesbitt is not in it !!

BIB - that's exactly as I see it.

My issue with series 1 as I've already said was the logistics of the actual disappearance of Ollie. Run over / assumed dead / rose again to rush to the window to be caught on video camera / found time to draw stick man on wall / killed / clean up man decided to leave stick man on wall to be found years later. Nobody watching would ever have come up with this as it is too contrived. It was almost co-incidental to the main trust of the series about how parents cope with not knowing what happened to their missing child. This was well done. The ending for me was excellent as it showed how different people (parents) cope or don't in the case of his Dad. Just hope in next series they put more effort / thought into the elements around the child/person going missing. Make it make sense!
  • Options
    Fireball XL5Fireball XL5 Posts: 1,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aurora13 wrote: »

My issue with series 1 as I've already said was the logistics of the actual disappearance of Ollie. Run over / assumed dead / rose again to rush to the window to be caught on video camera / found time to draw stick man on wall / killed / clean up man decided to leave stick man on wall to be found years later. Nobody watching would ever have come up with this as it is too contrived. It was almost co-incidental to the main trust of the series about how parents cope with not knowing what happened to their missing child. This was well done. The ending for me was excellent as it showed how different people (parents) cope or don't in the case of his Dad. Just hope in next series they put more effort / thought into the elements around the child/person going missing. Make it make sense!

Completely agree. And no more deathbed confessions ffs!
  • Options
    FlowesFlowes Posts: 6,986
    Forum Member

Exactly this. Is what I thought when I read it anyway
  • Options
    primosprimosprimosprimos Posts: 1,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aurora13 wrote: »

Well said. That ending was ludicrous.
  • Options
    FrankBTFrankBT Posts: 4,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No it wasn't. It was brilliant. And the very fact that people are still talking about it 2 months on proves it. If it was ludicrous as you claim then no one would be bothering. The whole series was superb and one of the best dramas on tv for a long time.
  • Options
    FlowesFlowes Posts: 6,986
    Forum Member
    FrankBT wrote: »
    No it wasn't. It was brilliant. And the very fact that people are still talking about it 2 months on proves it. If it was ludicrous as you claim then no one would be bothering. The whole series was superb and one of the best dramas on tv for a long time.

Absolutely agree with this.
  • Options
    SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just finished series 1. Thought the bleak ending was brilliant - shame people need things to be so concrete... or even happy!

I haven't followed news on the next series. Do we know for sure that it's a brand new case?
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Semierotic wrote: »
    Just finished series 1. Thought the bleak ending was brilliant - shame people need things to be so concrete... or even happy!

I haven't followed news on the next series. Do we know for sure that it's a brand new case?

A completely new case. Rumours Nesbitt will do a guest appearance.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

And it has been nominated for Best Drama series and actor at The Baftas.
  • Options
    primosprimosprimosprimos Posts: 1,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No it wasn't.

It was bollocks.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Folks are frankly shocked at how awful it was. That is what provoked discussion. The logistics around Ollie going and the death bed confession were the stuff of Agatha Christie not top notch 21st century drama. That such a good series centred on impact of missing child should be let down so badly by the crime logistics is bad. It will have put some people off being so engaged next time.
  • Options
    sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoyed the series up until the end. The reveal was rubbish
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,625
    Forum Member
    While individual performance were well done the actual story telling was all over the place and could have, should have, been done with more care in view of the constant jumping around the timeline.
  • Options
    Gloria FandangoGloria Fandango Posts: 3,834
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ladies, have you seen Baptiste in the new Nescafe advert?? :cool:

Absolutely gorgeous, and the coffee looks OK too. :p
  • Options
    Loz KernowLoz Kernow Posts: 2,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes Gloria, I did. Couldn't have told you what he was advertising though 'cos I was concentrating on the lovely man himself. :)
  • Options
    SmintSmint Posts: 4,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loz Kernow wrote: »
    Yes Gloria, I did. Couldn't have told you what he was advertising though 'cos I was concentrating on the lovely man himself. :)

Oh, was it coffee? :D

Well, I suppose Gold Blend set the trend for hot men selling hot beverages ;)

For all its faults, I still think it was one of the most absorbing programmes I've watched recently
  • Options
    Reality SucksReality Sucks Posts: 28,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I haven't, but will definitely look out for it! Tcheky Karyo - that voice :blush:.........I caught him in a film called The Way a couple of weeks ago - James Nesbitt was in it too but they didn't have a scene together. Tcheky Karyo didn't have a large part but was compelling to watch as always :cool:
  • Options
    Tom-Bennett.Tom-Bennett. Posts: 2,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry to bump this thread back up again but it there any word yet about the second series? I just enjoyed the first one so much haha
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry to bump this thread back up again but it there any word yet about the second series? I just enjoyed the first one so much haha

All we know so far is that it's coming. I don't think filming has started yet