The Ratings Thread (Part 64)

Comments

• Options
    fugitivefugitive Posts: 4,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Score wrote: »
    @jscummins
    The @BGT Final on ITV peaked with a massive 13.4m viewers - averaging 11.7m 7.30-10pm. Up 1m viewers yr on yr. Highest TV rating of 2015.

Fantastic rating!

Holy Guacamole! :o

Strange and Norrell must have been aorund 2mill again.
  • Options
    Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    It was !

Excluding +1 channels, 1.03m (6.1%) tuned in for Sunday's highlights at the later than usual time of 10pm. It beat the finale of Britain's Got More Talent which pulled in 0.76m (4.5%) for ITV2.

BB has a clear run from here and some very interesting HMs. It would be nice to think sub 1m highlights shows could become a think of the past, except on Saturdays of course.

Ah ok, cheers! Let me know if there's any +1 available anywhere. Last Sunday got 950,000 incl +1 at 9pm, so 1.03m excl +1 at 10pm already seems better!

The most difficult period for BB is now over, as you said, there is a clear run now.
  • Options
    lewiep93lewiep93 Posts: 5,880
    Forum Member
    Overnights.tv ‏@overnightstv 21s22 seconds ago
    #JonathanStrangeAndMrNorrell hit by #BGTfinal, watched by only 2.2m/8.9% @CubaPictures http://www.overnights.tv

Ouch.
  • Options
    stv viewerstv viewer Posts: 17,563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lewiep93 wrote: »
    #JonathanStrangeAndMrNorrell hit by #BGTfinal, watched by only 2.2m/8.9% @CubaPictures http://www.overnights.tv

Ouch.
    If it drops next week it will move to a different slot
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Ouch.

To be expected really for the BBC, I predict that BBC2 and C4 were under 1m during BGT.

BGT basically has been the saving grace of ITV this year (and Corrie in the last week).
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,674
    Forum Member
    Elsewhere...

* BBC One's Countryfile held up well with 5.80m (27.5%) followed by 4.40m (17.6%) for Antiques Roadshow. Considering it had a really poor lead-in, BBC News at Ten performed well with 3.68m (18.8%).

* BBC Two knew nothing of the huge event piece airing on the next channel down the programme guide, and enjoyed a relatively normal Sunday. Demolition managed 1.26m (5.0%) at 8pm and 1.71m (7.0%) tuned into Armada: 12 Days to Save England at 9pm. This was followed by a repeat of Rev which performed quite well with 0.75m (4.1%).

* ITV kept the feel-good "chocolate box TV" theme going with The Nation's Favourite Motown Song. 1.36m (10.7%) stuck around for this countdown show post-news (exc. HD).

* Channel 4's premiere of Shutter Island predictably struggled to make a big impact starting midway through BGT, despite plenty of social media interest. 1.11m (6.1%) tuned in from 9pm. But it was still C4's most watched programme of the night, as For The Love of Cars fell to 0.92m (3.7%).

* Channel 5 had a very miserable time whilst BGT was on. Opting to show a repeat of the 1972 Clint Eastwood western Joe Kidd, their share of the audience was only 1.8% as 0.46m tuned in. The latest Cricket on Five highlights performed slightly better, with 0.60m (2.9%) in the 7pm hour.

* Stories were few and far between on multichannel as you might expect. Dave's repeat of the feature-length Patagonia special of Top Gear did manage 0.44m (1.9%) over 2 hours and 20 minutes from 8pm. Whilst over on BBC Three, the Family Guy repeats peaked at 0.51m (4.2%) at 10:55pm.
  • Options
    Neil_NNeil_N Posts: 6,026
    Forum Member

Ouch.

People don't want posh crap on a Sunday night.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Neil_N wrote: »
    Will it survive the entire run there ?

Some have speculated that if it goes below 2m, it may well find itself in another slot. It came dangerously close to that last night although the ITV competition should get a lot easier from here.

I'm in two minds about it.

P.S. Did overnights.tv really tweet that to the prodco? A tad inappropriate. "Morning @CubaPictures ! OH LOOK, your big BBC One commission only got about 2m viewers. Have a great day y'all xxx" :p
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

How do you explain Downton Abbey's popularity then? Does anybody get the feeling Strange & Norrell would have dropped anyway regardless of BGT? I do.
  • Options
    lewiep93lewiep93 Posts: 5,880
    Forum Member
    From Hassan on Gallifrey Base

Sunday 31 May 2015
    BBC One
    17:40 - Pointless: 2.80m (17.6%)
    18:30 - BBC News: 4.62m (26.3%)
    18:45 - Regional News and Weather: 5.42m (29.9%)
    19:00 - Countryfile: 5.81m (27.5%)
    20:00 - Antiques Roadshow: 4.40m (17.6%)
    21:00 - Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell: 2.17m (8.9%)
    22:00 - BBC News: 3.68m (18.8%)

BBC Two
    20:00 - Demolition: 1.26m (5.0%)
    21:00 - Armarda: 12 Days to Save England: 1.71m (7.0%)
    22:00 - Rev: 0.75m (4.1%)

ITV (inc +1)
    18:45 - Celebrity Squares: 2.42m (13.2%)
    19:30 - Britain's Got Talent Final: 11.71m (48.0%)
    * peak: 13.4m (52.4%) at 9pm
    22:00 - ITV News & Weather: 3.99m (20.9%)

Channel 4 (inc +1)
    20:00 - For the Love of Cars: 1.06m (4.3%)
    21:00 - FILM: Shutter Island: 1.49m (8.1%)

Channel 5 (inc +1)
    17:30 - Robin Hood: 1.18m (7.3%)
    22:00 - Big Brother: 1.11m (6.6%)

Primetime shares
    ITV: 37.4% (+1: 1.0%)
    BBC1: 17.4%
    BBC2: 5.0%
    Channel 4: 4.3% (+1: 0.8%)
    Channel 5: 2.8% (+1: 0.4%)

Britain's Got Talent - Breakdown
    19:30 - 9.09m  (40.1%)
    19:45 - 10.07m (43.2%)
    20:00 - 11.32m (47.3%)
    20:15 - 12.66m (50.2%)
    20:30 - 11.52m (46.5%)
    20:45 - 12.78m (48.9%)
    21:00 - 12.52m (50.5%)
    21:15 - 12.53m (51.1%)
    21:30 - 11.80m (49.0%)
    21:45 - 12.76m (52.2%)

• Options
    Philip WilsonPhilip Wilson Posts: 1,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will it survive the entire run there ?

Some have speculated that if it goes below 2m, it may well find itself in another slot. It came dangerously close to that last night although the ITV competition should get a lot easier from here.

I'm in two minds about it.

P.S. Did overnights.tv really tweet that to the prodco? A tad inappropriate. "Morning @CubaPictures ! OH LOOK, your big BBC One commission only got about 2m viewers. Have a great day y'all xxx" :p

To be fair they often tag in the production company or actors twitter handle when reporting on ratings so I don't think they mean anything by it. :p

I actually thought Strange and Norrell would have been under 2m this week considering it only scored 2.57m last week and faced BGT.

As for BGT, an excellent rating for what I thought was one of the best finals they had done, and even more impressive when you consider how well BBC1 & 2 held up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    To be fair they often tag in the production company or actors twitter handle when reporting on ratings so I don't think they mean anything by it. :p
    I know ! But maybe they should tweak that policy to not do so when reporting on low/very low ratings. Especially when they are saying things like "only" to emphasise this. I'm sure good news is welcomed and will probably be retweeted or whatever but they might not want bad news rubbed in their faces. It may not be intentional but it looks like poor social media etiquette.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks lewie for the roundup!

Well, I completely forgot about the older skewing shows like Countryfile and AB on BBC1 do well whatever it is up against! They will be shows that will probably live on forever!

ITV news beating BBC news for the first time in a very long time, but I guess that's what happens when you have a much bigger lead in! ITV news probably around 2m+ higher than usual here!

Good night for C4 despite the increased competition. Shutter Island did better than I expected, I thought it would be just about hitting 1m.

Big Brother didn't disgrace itself despite airing an hour later than the usual 9pm Sunday slot and was up 160k from the previous Sunday which was on in the 9pm slot, so one can assume that the major twist on Friday so far seems to be working (as of now) now that we have a potential villain figure, something that was missing.
  • Options
    ritchie2ykritchie2yk Posts: 5,556
    Forum Member
    The Sunday final always seemed a better idea I was out and am out most Saturdays there is surely more people watching on a Sunday

Thought it was a good final actually was quite impressed with the whole live week don't think there was too many terrible acts
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Salv* wrote: »
    ITV news beating BBC news for the first time in a very long time.
    As it should.

Only 300,000 between them though despite the ITV lead-in having over 9 million extra viewers.

That's unconvincing to say the least with absolutely everything in ITV's favour. They should be winning that particular news battle by a wide margin.
  • Options
    BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    Brilliant BGT.

Can't see any end to it, unlike TXF.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As it should.

Only 300,000 between them though despite the ITV lead-in having over 9 million extra viewers.

That's unconvincing to say the least with absolutely everything in ITV's favour. They should be winning that particular news battle by a wide margin.

Losing nearly 8 million viewers at 2200 must be some kind of record even for ITV. BBC News had a good exclusive with Blatter's daughter.
  • Options
    West End BoyWest End Boy Posts: 870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Ouch.

at least it was still over 2 million, i thought it might slip to just over a million, i think it will stay in the 9pm slot. it is offering something different to itv.
  • Options
    CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,387
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jonathan Strange And Mr Norrell is a little inaccessible, I believe its based on a 2,000 page book, where alot of those pages are cliff notes to make up the timeline, and explain more of the Raven King. MR Norrell himself is also dull, at least Mr Strange is far more interesting.
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Home Fires would work better.
  • Options
    dillandillan Posts: 2,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fantastic for BGT and not extremely awful for BB either.
  • Options
    JordyDJordyD Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As it should.

Why would viewers not turn over for a better quality product, regional news and regular slot?

I don't think the ITV News brand is as important as ITV like to think it is.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    dillan wrote: »
    Fantastic for BGT and not extremely awful for BB either.
    "not extremely awful"

I like that one. Might have to start using it in my roundups. :):D
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The BBC beats ITV in all the scheduled news slots right across the day and at weekends - an ITV victory is so rare it's noteworthy.As we all know ITV have been trying to wriggle out of regional news for years, losing regional identity etc. I am sure they would like to be rid of national news as well but even OFCOM won't wear that one.ITV's current affairs output is virtually non-existent, demonstrated by their poor showing on election night, they have no ''big hitters'' to equal Dimbleby, Neil or Maitlis.
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JordyD wrote: »
    Why would viewers not turn over for a better quality product, regional news and regular slot?

I don't think the ITV News brand is as important as ITV like to think it is.

The way ITV treat their news they see it as a troubling PSB commitment rather than a strength. That's the difference between ITV News and BBC News.
This discussion has been closed.