Options

Internet browsing/movies onto the TV, hardware options?

The_OneThe_One Posts: 2,402
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Ive got my PC connected to my TV. Ive done the same in my sisters house. Really loving the benefits of it. Now my cousin would like the same setup.

Lately ive seen all these media centre hubs in places like curry's etc stating you can use the internet on them and things to use on your TV. How does that work exactly in terms of can you play any video file format ie mpeg4, avi, flv, from an internet browser? Do they integrate with home NAS storage devices which normally require third party software to access via windows computers. Does home file sharing work with windows 7 networking?

What other hardware options are there? Such as can you get a good mini computer equivelant thats cheaper than a regular computer?

All i know is if you want to browse the internet and play any video file format on your TV you have 3 options (which im not sure about):
1) get a certain type of new TV with inbuilt... internet stuff.
2) connect a media hub to the TV
3) connect a PC/laptop to the TV

Comments

• Options
    victorslotvictorslot Posts: 619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The problem for you is there are numerous devices on the market that will allow you to view media files on the TV. They vary in price from around £100 to ... well... how much would you like to spend. Some are networked devices via either cable or wireless or both some are not. Not all devices play all media file types. Some will have limited browsing functions such as for Youtube etc. Generally the viewing software is within the device and ease of use varies with each device.

Another alternative is a small form factor multimedia PC with a graphics card output to connect to a TV via HDMI or similar. This gives you the ability to play just about anything on the screen (presumably as you do now) as you can get software players for all types of media. Again prices vary a lot and generally you get what you pay for. You need to ensure the graphic card output is compatible with the screen you will be connecting to.

Yet another alternative is to have a large screen PC with built in TV tuners which will allow you to record to the PC too and archive all the recordings.

Much of your choices will be defined by screen size, if you don't want a screen size of more than 27 " you could look at an Apple iMac as an all in one solution. If you want a large screen and especially if you want HD quality then you will need to check the output options of the device, normally they output to a minimum of 720p but be sure to check as some of the cheaper ones are less.

I'm afraid you will have to do some homework and decide what it is exactly you want to do and with what. There really is no one best product for what you are looking to do especially if you want silent operation.
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are many type of media hubs, from streamers to HDD docking stations. Some support internet access, others don't.

But to be honest if you can live with the maintainance aspect, you can't beat a PC for flexiblility andfunctionality. There are some cheap ex-company small form factor PC like Dell 745 SFF now being sold on ebay for around £75. Add a 30 ATI 4350 HD low profile/silent video card and you have a great media PC (though sound might be a problem). Other option would be something like the revo which are netbook based, tiny PC with power to play back HD media and of course the power of a PC for internet access, iPod docking, etc
  • Options
    pocatellopocatello Posts: 8,813
    Forum Member
    Like it or not you have to spend for more. Apple is the most simple for streaming formats. But very limited on file format support.
    Stuff like the wdtv is limited in usefulness as well, these cheap things are better in theory than in practice.
    The only thing i've used that has universal file support is the htpc. But it costs more, and is more of a pain to setup.
  • Options
    plateletplatelet Posts: 26,387
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The_One wrote: »
    What other hardware options are there? Such as can you get a good mini computer equivelant thats cheaper than a regular computer?

I use an Asus EB1501 in the bedroom, it's basically a netbook without a screen. It mounts on the back of the TV using the VESA mounting holes (assuming you haven't used them to fix the TV to the wall) cost is about £360

Performance is the same as any netbook and it's running windows 7 so streaming from the other boxes in the house is easy enough

Only place it struggles is streaming HD iplayer, though that's down to the fact that it's only connected wirelessly, and the actual speed of my BB, I suspect more that the box itself.

I've got a Vaio VGX-TP3 (discontinued now) attached to my main TV. That's got considerably more grunt to it that the Asus which makes a difference if your doing more than just surfing whilst watching video, but then again I think it was about twice the price.

If you're looking at pure media servers, the reg has a review of the years offerings here:
    http://www.reghardware.com/2010/12/17/2010_best_media_boxes/
  • Options
    GorkyGorky Posts: 1,324
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've not got one but lots of people recommend the Acer Revo and ebuyer have got quite a good deal at the moment (R3610 version with 250gb hard drive and Windows 7 for £195):

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/225755