Joe Hart - worlds best keeper or hyped by the media?

codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
Forum Member
✭✭
Another complete howler by "englands best keeper".

I think he has been off the boil ever since he was touted as the worlds best by the UK media. He seems confident and almost cocky these days despite his mistakes.

Hodgson missed a trick in the week not testing another keeper. Even if you ignore his mistakes throughout this season, England needs a backup with game time under their belt.

If DDG or Reina made these mistakes, the Sunday red tops would be having a field day.

What can we expect them to do tomorrow, completely ignore it again?

Comments

• batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On Sunday Supplement, I expect them to only mention it in passing at the very most, there will certainly not be the same level of targeted critisim that De Gea has gotten all the way from the very start of his time with us.
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hyped by the Media, getting hammered off Southampton at the moment, 2-0, only half hr played :p
  • Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member
    He's an excellent keeper who being young will make mistakes, much like a certain keeper he shares the city with.

He was never the worlds best.

However this is simply the price you pay for having a young keeper, they will have weaknesses and make mistakes, its just more unusual for them to be learning the game while playing at the very very top level while doing it.

As for the media - give it time.

The reason he isnt getting a hard time (while DDG is) is simply because they are doing what they do with all young English talent - build them up and overhype them in order to knock them down and crucify them later - it has ALWAYS been the case and there is no doubt Harts time will come, we are still in the "building up' phase.
  • Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Let's not forget, if it wasn't for Hart than City would have been hugely embarrassed even more in the CL, he was basically a 1 man team vs Dortmund.
  • ParthenonParthenon Posts: 7,499
    Forum Member
    He's a young keeper with great potential, much like DDG. Another similarity is that they both have obvious flaws in their game that need to be ironed out before they can reach their potential.

The media went crazy after his stunning performance against Dortmund but John Ruddy had an equally stunning performance last season at Anfield (along with a few other keepers)... I didn't see anyone calling him the world's best. A keeper needs to be able to do it consistently over many seasons.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cantona07 wrote: »
    , its just more unusual for them to be learning the game while playing at the very very top level while doing it.

I wouldn't say so, how old was Iker Casillas when he was Real's number one, Neuer at Bayern is hardly old, and then there is Courtois at Ath Madrid, so it isn't as uncommon as you suggest I would say.
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't say so, how old was Iker Casillas when he was Real's number one, Neuer at Bayern is hardly old, and then there is Courtois at Ath Madrid, so it isn't as uncommon as you suggest I would say.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cantona07 wrote: »
    :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

What is with the " :rolleyes:"??:confused:

I was just making a point that was all. :confused:
  • alanrollinsalanrollins Posts: 3,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think the point is that inexperience is unusual.

The keepers you've quoted tend to be the exceptions to the rule.
    Forum Member
    What is with the " :rolleyes:"??:confused:

I was just making a point that was all. :confused:

I really cant be ****ed going through this pish again. You named 3 keepers, well done. Obviously those three in the recent history of European football renders my entire point redundant doesnt it?

:rolleyes:
  • Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    3 keepers out of a 100 doesn't really prove a point. And it wasn't so long ago that people had their doubts about Neuer after clangers vs Utd.
  • O'NeillO'Neill Posts: 8,721
    Forum Member
    Obviously over hyped, he is no where near the quality of the worlds best goalkeepers.

I remember the hype around Robert Green, English goalkeepers are always over hyped and hailed as the worlds best after a relatively short period of good form, or even a few outstanding games.
  • CTD101CTD101 Posts: 4,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

And you could equally name many more young keepers who were nowhere near their standards. Picking out 3 of the better keepers on the continent is easy
  • codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is it a myth that keepers aged 25 plus can iron out flaws in their game?

I understand that some keepers can keep going until they are nearly 40, but surely they are only the top top keepers (like schmichael/ Van Der Sar) prolonging their excellent careers - a bit like Giggs is.

Can keepers really 'mature' into the very best?
  • jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    codeblue wrote: »
    Another complete howler by "englands best keeper".

I think he has been off the boil ever since he was touted as the worlds best by the UK media. He seems confident and almost cocky these days despite his mistakes.

Hodgson missed a trick in the week not testing another keeper. Even if you ignore his mistakes throughout this season, England needs a backup with game time under their belt.

If DDG or Reina made these mistakes, the Sunday red tops would be having a field day.

What can we expect them to do tomorrow, completely ignore it again?

Yes, I must have completely imagined his brilliant double save from Ronaldinho's penalty in midweek :rolleyes:.
  • ParthenonParthenon Posts: 7,499
    Forum Member
    codeblue wrote: »
    Is it a myth that keepers aged 25 plus can iron out flaws in their game?

I understand that some keepers can keep going until they are nearly 40, but surely they are only the top top keepers (like schmichael/ Van Der Sar) prolonging their excellent careers - a bit like Giggs is.

Can keepers really 'mature' into the very best?

It's usually said that keepers peak in their early to mid 30s, whether or not that's still the case, who knows?

I would think when asked who is the world's best keeper right now, most would say either Neuer (26) or Buffon (35).
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,389
    Forum Member
    He's the best English keeper. He's having a bad night. He hasn't widely been named as the "world's" best keeper. Casillas and Valdes would be ahead of him in that regard. But this thread is basically a strawman. To be expected really.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    While I agree he is overhyped I think most posters here are being too harsh on him to level out that out in a way (like the England team). I think he is a great goalkeeper and amongst the worlds top 10 but I don't think he is World class yet. Btw imagine if De Gea had made the error because the criticism he gets verges on the ridiculous imo and only gets it more than Hart because he isn't a young English player.
  • O'NeillO'Neill Posts: 8,721
    Forum Member
    He's the best English keeper. He's having a bad night. He hasn't widely been named as the "world's" best keeper. Casillas and Valdes would be ahead of him in that regard. But this thread is basically a strawman. To be expected really.

I couldn't say where, but I'm sure I've read, and heard him being referred to as the best keeper in the world numerous times.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the point is that inexperience is unusual.

The keepers you've quoted tend to be the exceptions to the rule.

This. The likes of Buffon, Neuer, Casillas are exceptions. Many keepers are in their prime from 25+.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The English media and pundits were littered with "worlds best keeper" comments - even Rooney released a statement saying that Hart is the worlds best keeper!
  • Tush_91Tush_91 Posts: 176
    Forum Member

Valdes? You having a laugh he is an awful keeper, hart is miles better than him.

There aren't many goalkeepers better than hart, I would only say casillas, Buffon and neuer that are better than him, but hart will get better.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tush_91 wrote: »
    There aren't many goalkeepers better than hart, I would only say casillas, Buffon and neuer that are better than him, but hart will get better.

Hart is not even the best keeper i the prem!
  • TheSlothTheSloth Posts: 18,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Usual stuff, player in rival team gets praise, rival fans highlight every single error to try and undermine him.

The truth is, Hart has been statistically very impressive and remains so. He's not faultless, neither is he error-prone. For his age, he is a very solid keeper already and will only get better.
    Forum Member
    TheSloth wrote: »
    Usual stuff, player in rival team gets praise, rival fans highlight every single error to try and undermine him.

The truth is, Hart has been statistically very impressive and remains so. He's not faultless, neither is he error-prone. For his age, he is a very solid keeper already and will only get better.

Agreed. I stand by what i said about the media though, he HAS had an easy ride when he makes a mistake pretty much so they can tear him down later on, they are generating their own stories by doing this really. Its been done with most of the best English talent down the years. Its a shame really.