Metallica at Glastonbury.

Comments

• ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    ags_rule wrote: »
    You were saying?

Was hoping the satisfaction myself of being the one to say that said photograph is not actual James Hetfield but kudos to the others in this thread for getting there before me :D

I am opposed to hunting for recreational reasons (I am more open to it as a means of controlling a population of animals when that is deemed necessary). But the thoughts of a single band member - who, as the 2009 quote posted early illustrates, no longer actively hunts - somehow being enough to kick them off the festival bill is ridiculous. It's nothing more than anti-metal snobbery dressed up with a fancy excuse.

I doubt it would have got them kicked off the lineup anyway. The drummer of Emperor, one of the bands headlining Bloodstock, is a convicted murderer. A lot of people kicked off about it but they're still there.

I guess it's probably ok because he hasn't actually killed anyone recently.
  • Johnny_CashJohnny_Cash Posts: 2,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People will find anything to be outraged about if they dont want a band to play. Johnny Cash who was awesome when he played Glastonbury in the 90's was an avid hunter, Not a single protest.
  • ags_ruleags_rule Posts: 19,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For those who say Metallica will be 'too loud' for the Glastonbury audience, worthwhile watching this video of Pendulum from a few years back:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5FgKf3-D4U

Yes, that is 'Master of Puppets'. And yes, everybody *bleep*ing loves it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 175
    Forum Member
    Snobbery and a predetermined outlook will stop them being truly appreciated whilst shite like Kasabian will triumph. How anyone can not enjoy Master of Puppets or the ridiculously good Four Horseman is beyond me.
    that'll be me then.dont like metallica at all.bad choice of heavy metal band.saxon would be a far better choice.they blow metallica away.brilliant songs and brilliant live.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 175
    Forum Member
    People will find anything to be outraged about if they dont want a band to play. Johnny Cash who was awesome when he played Glastonbury in the 90's was an avid hunter, Not a single protest.

they maybe didn't know.its the first I've heard of it.
  • Johnny_CashJohnny_Cash Posts: 2,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Trust me, metallica arent the first pro hunting band to play Glastonbury, and neither will they be the last.
  • Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You were saying?

Was hoping the satisfaction myself of being the one to say that said photograph is not actual James Hetfield but kudos to the others in this thread for getting there before me :D

I am opposed to hunting for recreational reasons (I am more open to it as a means of controlling a population of animals when that is deemed necessary). But the thoughts of a single band member - who, as the 2009 quote posted early illustrates, no longer actively hunts - somehow being enough to kick them off the festival bill is ridiculous. It's nothing more than anti-metal snobbery dressed up with a fancy excuse.

Sad but true. :D:D:D:D:D:D
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It seems that Michael Evis has arranged for Bryan Ferry to play at Glastonbury Abbey, in spite of the antics of his odious, pro-hunting activist son, Otis.
    Forum Member
    barbeler wrote: »
    It seems that Michael Evis has arranged for Bryan Ferry to play at Glastonbury Abbey, in spite of the antics of his odious, pro-hunting activist son, Otis.

Why should the son's actions have any bearing on booking the father? That's ridiculous. The hunting thing comes from the mother's side anyway. Bryan Ferry doesn't hunt.
  • Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    they ought to be boo'd off stage for the antics of james hetfield.... pictured posing over a huge grizzly bear he just shot. the complete c**t.

You'd best hope they don't book Ted Nugent then.
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tejas wrote: »
    I don't get the whole thing about Metallica being a strange booking for Glasto - they're a rock band, its a festival, and they've sold millions of records... they'll do fine! I think they'll go down a storm.

I don't like Metallica myself, not into that genre of music but you have to give Eavis credit for breaking boundaries and allowing a metal band for the very first time to headline Glastonbury. Metallica will be that band.

It was the same when Jay-Z was the first rap artist to headline Glastonbury a few years ago. Everyone thought it was a bad idea and yes it may not be everyone's cup of tea but you have to move forward and think outside of the box.

Will i be watching however, no.
  • ags_ruleags_rule Posts: 19,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MrSuper wrote: »
    I don't like Metallica myself, not into that genre of music but you have to give Eavis credit for breaking boundaries and allowing a metal band for the very first time to headline Glastonbury. Metallica will be that band.

It was the same when Jay-Z was the first rap artist to headline Glastonbury a few years ago. Everyone thought it was a bad idea and yes it may not be everyone's cup of tea but you have to move forward and think outside of the box.

Will i be watching however, no.

Exactly.

Glastonbury has risked falling into a very middle-class, safe indie-band zone in recent times. Booking Jay Z a few years back and Metallica this year shows a commitment to the variety of music that Glastonbury should espouse.

Stupidest things I've seen are people saying Metallica aren't big enough to headline Glastonbury. They are comfortably one of the most popular bands in the world, as proven by album sales and live attendance over a period of 30 years. They still have the highest-selling album of the last 25 years.
  • BrooklynBoyBrooklynBoy Posts: 10,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For those who say Metallica will be 'too loud' for the Glastonbury audience, worthwhile watching this video of Pendulum from a few years back:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5FgKf3-D4U

Yes, that is 'Master of Puppets'. And yes, everybody *bleep*ing loves it.

Kind of cool but it's a bit slow isn't it?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Exactly.

Glastonbury has risked falling into a very middle-class, safe indie-band zone in recent times. Booking Jay Z a few years back and Metallica this year shows a commitment to the variety of music that Glastonbury should espouse.

However it could be argued that both Jay-Z and Metallica also fall in to those "middle-class" and "safe" values.
    Stupidest things I've seen are people saying Metallica aren't big enough to headline Glastonbury. They are comfortably one of the most popular bands in the world, as proven by album sales and live attendance over a period of 30 years. They still have the highest-selling album of the last 25 years.

People say Metallica aren't "big enough" to headlime Glastonbury but they never define what they mean by "big". In terms of live shows and record sales they are easily one of the biggest bands in the world and have been for the last 20 years or more.
    Forum Member
    People say Metallica aren't "big enough" to headlime Glastonbury but they never define what they mean by "big". In terms of live shows and record sales they are easily one of the biggest bands in the world and have been for the last 20 years or more.

I've read it's anything between 85 million and 120 million albums sold worldwide.

I'd consider that to be "big".

I've been watching Metallica since 1988. I cannot remember any of their tours being below "large theatre" level. The last time I saw them was at Wembley Stadium.
    Just like Iron Maiden, they've retained very healthy sales figures for gigs.
    Metallica haven't had to resort to sub 1000 seat venues on tours.
  • TejasTejas Posts: 5,027
    Forum Member
    I think Metallica will be brilliant at Glasto - they're one of the world's biggest bands who always put a lot into their live shows and who have wanted to play at the festival for a while now, so I don't really see any reason why they shouldn't headline. Should be a damn sight more interesting than Kasabian who seem to play a major festival every few weeks!
    Forum Member
    Glastonbury festival boss Michael Eavis has revealed Metallica have been trying to get on the bill for years – and he's suggested they only managed this year because Prince pulled out.
    http://metalhammer.teamrock.com/news/2014-06-23/glasto-boss-metallica-ring-every-year
  • uniqueunique Posts: 12,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.theguardian.com/music/2014/jun/22/michael-eavis-glastonbury-questions-jarvis-cocker-john-humphrys-kelis
    I heard Prince was booked as the headline this year, but pulled out. Is that true? Henry Holland

We wanted him to play, and it got to the point where his people were talking to us about him doing it, but before he confirmed he got really upset because he thought we had advertised that he was playing. We hadn't, but with social media, rumours get everywhere, and one of those rumours was that Prince was coming. So he didn't want to do it in the end. All the social media chit-chat now about who might be playing really doesn't help us. People think we've advertised them early, but there'd be no point to us leaking details because the tickets sell out in an hour in October, before the headline acts are announced. People come for what the event means to them, not the headline acts.

Have you ever done the festival as a regular punter? If not, would you consider it? Don Letts

I haven't, and I couldn't consider it because I couldn't detach myself from it. Whenever I'm driving or walking round the site I notice things and think "who put that there?" Or "Where did that come from?" But it would be nice to see some of the bands I don't get to see because of things I have to do. For example I'd love to see Dexy's this year, but they're on [the acoustic stage] against Metallica, and I have to see what Metallica do. Metallica have been trying to play for so long – they ring every year, and they're so polite about it. "We'd love to be there, we're getting older, can we play it now?" That sort of thing. The least I can do is to watch them.

it's amazing how a writer can take a bunch of comments and create a brand new one with a different meaning from them. I'm not a metallica fan, but I'm not going to Glastonbury so it doesn't matter to me if they play or not, and the same should apply to anyone else not going. don't watch them on the telly if you don't like em. if you do go to glasto there are umpteen stages and things to do when metallica are playing if you don't like em. who knows, they could do a show that no-one expects and really surprises people. I'm more interested in the dexys set myself, it could be good

btw don letts was sitting near me when I saw prince at one of his secret shows earlier in the year. top bloke
    Forum Member
    Since they are playing "Glasto", is it ok to call them "Mettie"?
    Forum Member
    New interview with Lars Ulrich, about playing Glastonbury
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mFZAUqAub4
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    When are Metallica on?
    Will it be live on BBC?
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Spotted the Glastonbury thread
    Is the BBC2 9:30 show on Sat the full Metallica set?
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Spotted the Glastonbury thread
    Is the BBC2 9:30 show on Sat the full Metallica set?

The show runs for 4 hours, so I'm hoping it is. I've already chucked in on the planner.

Meanwhile, from everybodys favourite newspaper, Kirk is a 'wrinkly rocker', here.
    Forum Member
    Kiko H Fan wrote: »
    The show runs for 4 hours, so I'm hoping it is. I've already chucked in on the planner.

Meanwhile, from everybodys favourite newspaper, Kirk is a 'wrinkly rocker', here.

Ffs, was that article written by a twelve year old?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Electra wrote: »
    Ffs, was that article written by a twelve year old?

The comments underneath sum it up nicely. :D