Why has captain america transformed into a black man ?

Babylon BlastaBabylon Blasta Posts: 136
Forum Member
Serious question . Is it the same crowd behind the Annie remake ?

I understand He's stopping the " rednecks " from disturbing homosexual pride parades , but why not , as a black man , defend the homosexuals from the black urban population who seem to hate all acts of sodomy with a vitriolic passion ? He could really make a difference .

Do comic fans like Captain black america or is this an attempt at flushing their loyal old school fandom down the toilet to appeal to the trendies ?

Is this the same line of thought that has diagnosed James Bond with a vitamin D deficiency ?

Can any of you guise help me get to the bottom of this ?

Comments

• claire2281claire2281 Posts: 17,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He hasn't 'transformed'. There have been 12 different Captain Americas. The major three are Steve Rogers, Bucky Barnes and Sam Wilson.

Wilson isn't the first black man to be Captain America either.
  • Babylon BlastaBabylon Blasta Posts: 136
    Forum Member
    claire2281 wrote: »
    He hasn't 'transformed'. There have been 12 different Captain Americas. The major three are Steve Rogers, Bucky Barnes and Sam Wilson.

Wilson isn't the first black man to be Captain America either.

Sounds strange to me , will there ever be a oriental captain america ? Probably not because the orientals are not as kooool as the blacks , maybe . How did the writers explain his racial change ?
  • be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sounds strange to me , will there ever be a oriental captain america ? Probably not because the orientals are not as kooool as the blacks , maybe . How did the writers explain his racial change ?
    Did you even read claire2281's post before you replied? The character hasn't changed race or "transformed". This is a different character (Sam Wilson) adopting the Captain America mantle.

Steve Rogers will almost certainly return in due course.
    No, obviously not. Why would the makers of a musical comedy film start writing superhero comics?:confused:
  • zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was wondering if the recent (?) changes seen in the Marvel comics - new Captain America and new Thor - was as a kinda prelim thing to there being changes in the Marvel Cinema Universe. With contracts up for renegotiations, it would be cheaper to bring new blood in. So they change things in the comics to get people used to the idea so when things change in the films there won't be so many "omg, wtf, I'm never watching a Marvel film ever again, I'm off to burn all my comics" internet responses.

But then I read there've been many-many changes over the years. So maybe I'm off base. :)
  • Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    Interesting that changing the ethnicity of Nick Fury and Heimdall causes a minor
    ruckus in fandom, but nobody said anything about the blonde American Peggy
    Carter being changed into a brunette Englishwoman.... ;)
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zwixxx wrote: »
    I was wondering if the recent (?) changes seen in the Marvel comics - new Captain America and new Thor - was as a kinda prelim thing to there being changes in the Marvel Cinema Universe. With contracts up for renegotiations, it would be cheaper to bring new blood in. So they change things in the comics to get people used to the idea so when things change in the films there won't be so many "omg, wtf, I'm never watching a Marvel film ever again, I'm off to burn all my comics" internet responses.

But then I read there've been many-many changes over the years. So maybe I'm off base. :)

Wolverine is a woman- the current ones daughter- in the new marvel continuity as well.
  • zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^perfect timing since Hugh Jackson is hanging up his claws.
  • silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JCR wrote: »
    Wolverine is a woman- the current ones daughter- in the new marvel continuity as well.

Cloned from his DNA... not technically his daughter however ;)
    Forum Member
    I don't think wolverine or the warrior God Thor could ever be females , it sounds quite absurd to me .It seems like a cultural nudge through fiction , a very sly brainwashing technique popularized by the bbc in WW1 . IT's obviously a push for the western male to move to hermproditic androgyny , quite sick when the propaganda's targeted towards the children ,

As for captain America changing his race because theirs different versions of him seems like a cop out .

Where's the half Polish half Amerindian Captain America ?

Why haven't more minorities been represented if there really is 12 versions of Captain America ?

Where's the diversity ? It's quite a popular thing replacing timeless classic fictional hero's of a white masculine origin and switching it with either a black man that fights racist rednecks or a "badasss" female that can do all the things boys can do , even better .

Seems like poor writing if not for a purely political agenda .
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think wolverine or the warrior God Thor could ever be females , it sounds quite absurd to me .It seems like a cultural nudge through fiction , a very sly brainwashing technique popularized by the bbc in WW1 . IT's obviously a push for the western male to move to hermproditic androgyny , quite sick when the propaganda's targeted towards the children ,

As for captain America changing his race because theirs different versions of him seems like a cop out .

Where's the half Polish half Amerindian Captain America ?

Why haven't more minorities been represented if there really is 12 versions of Captain America ?

Where's the diversity ? It's quite a popular thing replacing timeless classic fictional hero's of a white masculine origin and switching it with either a black man that fights racist rednecks or a "badasss" female that can do all the things boys can do , even better .

Seems like poor writing if not for a purely political agenda .
    If you think white males are somehow under threat, you're sadly deluded.

Also, Marvel comics haven't been aimed at children for the last 20 years. You seem to be getting awfully angry from a position of ignorance.
    Forum Member
    If you think white males are somehow under threat, you're sadly deluded.

Also, Marvel comics haven't been aimed at children for the last 20 years. You seem to be getting awfully angry from a position of ignorance.

It is true that there is an ongoing media crusade hell bent on demonizing the white straight male , so yes .

I'm not mad bro and i understand there's an adult fanboy readership behind comic books but the brainwashing is a ripe apple when marketed to children . The main agenda is to fill the child's mind with PC concepts , then by the time he hits adulthood he's in full arrested development AKA the NEW Sovieticus .
  • batesy2000batesy2000 Posts: 818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm disappointed the original post hasn't started with the immortal line...

I'm not being racist but.....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    batesy2000 wrote: »
    I'm disappointed the original post hasn't started with the immortal line...

I'm not being racist but.....
    It also needs "Some of my best friends are black."
  • Aye UpAye Up Posts: 7,053
    Forum Member
    It is true that there is an ongoing media crusade hell bent on demonizing the white straight male , so yes .

I'm not mad bro and i understand there's an adult fanboy readership behind comic books but the brainwashing is a ripe apple when marketed to children . The main agenda is to fill the child's mind with PC concepts , then by the time he hits adulthood he's in full arrested development AKA the NEW Sovieticus .

I never venture in here.......you are coming across as a bit racist/sexist/homophobic and any other bloody word which describes your way of thinking. Marvel has never been my strong point, but even you must surely know there is god knows how many canons and timeline. They have constantly been fiddled with, look at Jean Grey for example, how many times has that bloody woman come back from the dead?

Leaving Marvel based films aside for a moment, you would find even the skin colour of Wolverine has changed over the years, whilst it may not be race per se the point stands.

As for changing gender or race (the plural definition in Marvel) this has always happened in Marvel comics, they have always been at the forefront of social acceptance and awareness even as early as the 70s. Marvel is decidedly more liberal compared to DC. Remember their characters aren't wholly based on wealth or beauty (like the DC factions), it attempts to at least attempt to capture real life.

I am no expert, you really need to get out more, look to our army, soldiers don't sit and play dominos whilst smoking a pipe any more. They have modernised to accept homosexuals and yes people that aren't white!

Look around you and see the diversity, what you see in comics now is reflective of that today.
  • KrommKromm Posts: 6,180
    Forum Member

I understand He's stopping the " rednecks " from disturbing homosexual pride parades , but why not , as a black man , defend the homosexuals from the black urban population who seem to hate all acts of sodomy with a vitriolic passion ? He could really make a difference .

Do comic fans like Captain black america or is this an attempt at flushing their loyal old school fandom down the toilet to appeal to the trendies ?

Is this the same line of thought that has diagnosed James Bond with a vitamin D deficiency ?

Can any of you guise help me get to the bottom of this ?

I am confused. What do you mean by transform? Do you really think he's been Nick Furied and it's now Steve Rogers as a black man? Have you actually READ the comics to come to this conclusion?

Also, this is comics. You should KNOW it's likely temporary. Admittedly Nick Fury wasn't, but that was the exception that proves the rule overall everywhere else.

(and before someone mentions it I am aware that EVENTUALLY they retro-verted black Nick Fury to be a different person, but that wasn't the original intent there)
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Guys... the OP was banned a couple of weeks ago or more. I don't think he'll be replying to you ;)
  • nathanbrazilnathanbrazil Posts: 8,863
    Forum Member
    zwixxx wrote: »
    So they change things in the comics to get people used to the idea so when things change in the films there won't be so many "omg, wtf, I'm never watching a Marvel film ever again, I'm off to burn all my comics" internet responses.

As someone who hated the idea of a black Human Torch (because the Torch is was and always has been a blonde white bloke) I have no problem with Sam Wilson taking up the mantle of Captain America. In a way, it's quite refreshing. Kind of parallel to what DC did, allowing the original Robin to become Nightwing, a grown-up character. Now is the time for Sam Wilson to take top billing.
    Forum Member
    As someone who hated the idea of a black Human Torch (because the Torch is was and always has been a blonde white bloke) I have no problem with Sam Wilson taking up the mantle of Captain America. In a way, it's quite refreshing. Kind of parallel to what DC did, allowing the original Robin to become Nightwing, a grown-up character. Now is the time for Sam Wilson to take top billing.

On the subject of black superheroes....Dynamite Entertainment recently did a series of comics based on the King Features Syndicate characters..and had their new Phantom be a black man.

Now the Phantom doesn't have the big following of Batman or Captain America*, but this still provoked some online complaints. I thought "the whole flippin' point is that the Phantom has been dozens of men (and a woman) through history! What's the big deal about having a black bloke as the Ghost Who Walks?"

* Except in Australia. The Phantom's more popular than a crate of Castlemaine XXXX
    Down Under. ;-)
  • MoleskinMoleskin Posts: 3,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Same reason they're doing it on TV and in films too, political correctness.

What I don't get is why it's always to someone black, when in the U.S. the largest minority is Hispanics and in the UK it's Asians.
    Forum Member
    But the big question is...is the world ready for an all-Maori version of "Family Circus" ? ;)
  • farscapefarscape Posts: 2,902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Moleskin wrote: »
    Same reason they're doing it on TV and in films too, political correctness.

So when Steve Rogers was replaced by John Walker and Bucky Barnes in the role of Captain America (something which looks to happen in the movies) it was fine. The character gets replaced by his longtime best friend and partner and we bust out the ol' political correctness run amok argument?

Let's not pretend that whitewashing of characters doesn't happen way, way more in adapting books or comics into tv and film even today.
    What I don't get is why it's always to someone black, when in the U.S. the largest minority is Hispanics and in the UK it's Asians.

It isn't always someone black - most times it's someone of the same race. Like I pointed out Steve Rogers has been replaced as Captain America in the past by three of the same race. In fact Bucky as Captain America was very popular with fans, some still argue it was a shame they brought back Steve Rogers back so soon.

A few years ago Bruce Wayne was lost in time and his first Robin Dick Grayson took on the role of Batman. Currently Bruce has amnesia and Jim Gordon is in the role or Batman and don't forget the infamous Jean Paul Valley in the 90s the list goes on.

There are some Latino "replacements" Sam Alexander as the current Nova, Jaime Reyes was Blue Beetle a few years ago, While not exactly a replacements but Ultimate Spider-Man Miles Morales is African American and Latin and Ms Marvel Kamala Khan is Asian.
    Forum Member
    farscape wrote: »
    So when Steve Rogers was replaced by John Walker and Bucky Barnes in the role of Captain America (something which looks to happen in the movies) it was fine. The character gets replaced by his longtime best friend and partner and we bust out the ol' political correctness run amok argument?

Let's not pretend that whitewashing of characters doesn't happen way, way more in adapting books or comics into tv and film even today.

It isn't always someone black - most times it's someone of the same race. Like I pointed out Steve Rogers has been replaced as Captain America in the past by three of the same race. In fact Bucky as Captain America was very popular with fans, some still argue it was a shame they brought back Steve Rogers back so soon.

A few years ago Bruce Wayne was lost in time and his first Robin Dick Grayson took on the role of Batman. Currently Bruce has amnesia and Jim Gordon is in the role or Batman and don't forget the infamous Jean Paul Valley in the 90s the list goes on.

There are some Latino "replacements" Sam Alexander as the current Nova, Jaime Reyes was Blue Beetle a few years ago, While not exactly a replacements but Ultimate Spider-Man Miles Morales is African American and Latin and Ms Marvel Kamala Khan is Asian.

It should also be pointed out a few years ago, when Todd McFarlane was working on the "Spawn" film, several of the producers suggested changing Spawn/ Al Simmons's ethnicity from black to white or Hispanic. Todd McFarlane didn't have a
    problem with the idea. (They ultimately went with Michael Jai White for the role).
  • misawa97misawa97 Posts: 11,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It amazes me that some people actually care about what colour of skin a comic book character has.
    Forum Member

Are you playing the fool, or just poorly informed? There is no 'racial change' to Captain America. It is an ID/ office, something like being a President, which more than one person can assume, just not at the same time. Steve Rodgers was the original CA, now the costume and name has been passed on to Sam Wilson.But neither man has ever altered his race.
    Forum Member
    misawa97 wrote: »
    It amazes me that some people actually care about what colour of skin a comic book character has.

Oh dear, PC madness rises yet again. People care, because race is intrinsic to who a character is, not always but most often. If, for example T'Challah the Black Panther, was suddenly switched to being Japanese, that would not only look wrong visually but be complete nonsense.