Options

Exercising with Wii Fit

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 31
Forum Member
Need to exercise badly and was thinking of buying a Wii with the balance board. Has anyone got one and what do you think of it? Is it a good way to exercise? Thanks in advance for your replies. :)

Comments

• Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jingles436 wrote: »
    Need to exercise badly and was thinking of buying a Wii with the balance board. Has anyone got one and what do you think of it? Is it a good way to exercise? Thanks in advance for your replies. :)

I bought one. It called me obese, bloody cheeky machine! Turned it off again.
  • Options
    SwipeSwipe Posts: 6,381
    Forum Member
    Wii fit is NOT proper exercise. Save your money and buy an aerobics DVD.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's great fun and it is motivational but probably not enough to make a big difference if that's all you plan to do.
  • Options
    AzagothAzagoth Posts: 10,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bloody useless as an exercise tool, it's just a cynical gimmick designed to sell more units to parents who think it'll stop their kids turning into chubby little gamesters.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Azagoth wrote: »
    Bloody useless as an exercise tool, it's just a cynical gimmick designed to sell more units to parents who think it'll stop their kids turning into chubby little gamesters.

Most of the people I know who use it are the parents who really bought it for themselves whilst pretending it was for their kids.
  • Options
    chocoholic100chocoholic100 Posts: 6,411
    Forum Member
    Swipe wrote: »

there is no difference between following the wii fit step aerobics than doing the same thing whilst watching some celeb in a leotard surely?
  • Options
    Tasty DelightTasty Delight Posts: 1,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For exercising on the Wii I use EA Active and EA Active More Workouts. IMO MUCH better than Wii Fit.

You don't need a balance board either, just the leg strap and toning band (mine were included when I bought EA Active).
  • Options
    SwipeSwipe Posts: 6,381
    Forum Member
    there is no difference between following the wii fit step aerobics than doing the same thing whilst watching some celeb in a leotard surely?

I'm not talking about celebrity step aerobics I'm talking about a proper 60min intense cardio workout DVD
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 31
    Forum Member

Need a bit of motivation and thought a Wii might be a fun way of exercising. They're quite expensive to buy new - prob cheaper than a gym membership though. I fancied having a go on the dance game.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,742
    Forum Member
    jingles436 wrote: »

I'm also interested, a few of my friends use the wii fit every day but I haven't actually asked them about it, lol. I'm guessing it does something because they aren't overweight but it probs isn't enough for losing fat but more for toning purposes.
  • Options
    thats_racistthats_racist Posts: 1,422
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bought a Wii soley for the Wii Fit - but I found that the novelty wore off fairly quickly.

I sold the Wii and put the money towards a good cross trainer - much more effective!
  • Options
    CABINETCABINET Posts: 1,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bought a Wii soley for the Wii Fit - but I found that the novelty wore off fairly quickly.

Ditto - probably should sell it really:o I have joined a gym though:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know of any children who got it that are still using it - I think they stopped after a couple of weeks. The mums used it more, but even they stopped after a while and went back to exercising to their favourite music or doing the workouts on Sky.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My wife used both Wii Fit and the better EA Fit religiously for months and never lost any weight. She switched to doing the Davina DVD and has lost quite a bit from that.
  • Options
    BagpipesBagpipes Posts: 5,443
    Forum Member
    In all honesty you're better off spending the money on a decent pair of trainers and going jogging several times a week. Wii Fit is just a gimmick.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,507
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can see why people think its a gimmick, but at least you are doing some form of exercise. It feels good to do the yoga positions and toning exercises etc, although I do agree a gym membership would be more appropriate considering some of the Wii Fit prices.
  • Options
    SupercellSupercell Posts: 5,079
    Forum Member
    Yes agree with most of the above - good fun but not a way to get really fit!

I have My Fitness coach on the wii - it sets a routine for you and the cardio ones are pretty tough, especially if you ask for an hour or 45mins.
  • Options
    Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I second EA Sports Active - I lost about a stone in a month using that, coupled with a sensible diet. The free island jog and hula hooping in Wii Fit are good for warming up, and the yoga and candle thing for warming down, but not for the actual hard exercising - EA Sports Active is very good for that.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 320
    Forum Member
    There is a great walking game.. its called "Step to the beat" or in the US its called "Walk it out" if you look on amazon its got brilliant reviews

if you are on facebook there is a good group with hints and tips and the devs are taking peoples ideas for number 2 .

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Walk-It-Out/139254944673?ref=search&sid=1327380211.110993722..1&v=wall

People are also working out with it with treadmills and mini trampolines
  • Options
    georgeshairgeorgeshair Posts: 1,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Let's Dance and Dance On Broadway are also good for an energetic workout.
  • Options
    SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd say it's a fun introduction to exercise, especially if you can't face doing it outside in front of passers by! On that note, the activity on there which I find makes me work up a sweat most is jogging, which can obviously be done without all this equipment. The yoga section is quite beneficial too for relieving tension and aches.

If you are already good at exercises such a press-ups and sit-ups and you're looking to increase muscle or lose a lot of weight, like you would at the gym, then it's not for you. If you are currently hopeless at those exercises then Wii Fit can teach you and the Balance Board will point out where you go wrong. I suppose it's training up the exercise novice up to the point where they can start on the gym machines!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 96
    Forum Member
    The Wii fit is a massive gimmick.

You'd be much better putting that money towards an exercise bike/treadmill for home, and using something that will actually help.
  • Options
    CXC3000CXC3000 Posts: 10,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Or go for a walk/jog/run outside.

(and it's free too) :)
  • Options
    Shadow27Shadow27 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I 'third' EA Sports Active. I current cycle to the station which is 20mins a day and try to do a half hour run on sunny days and use the EA's personal trainer for rainy days and it's a great workout. As you get better the intensity increases.

I also rate the Wii Fit for more gentle stuff like yoga or pilates if you've had some experience of the with a tutor. Since the routines vary you lose the boredom factor that is inevitable with a DVD that also doesn't response to your level of fitness.

Finally yes it's a outlay but in comparison to the price of a gym it is worthwhile. Of course the cheapest form of exercise is a pair of trainers and a run outside but for variety the Wii is bang on.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,145
    Forum Member
    Op- as others have said, its a bit of a gimmick, however I still enjoy mine.

I got the gillian michaels fitness game on it, and I think its fab, it had some bad reviews but it was excellent for a beginner for me as it varied the routines and so I don't get bored.

Try a 2nd hand one from blockbuster or similar, they come with a 6 month warrenty and often a bonus of a months free rentals