Options

Social class and relationships

1235»

Comments

• Options
    tysonstormtysonstorm Posts: 24,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think I'll stick to stick to my Working Class roots. The thought of being involved with someone "Middle" or Ruling Class, terrifies me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sootysoo wrote: »
    I would prefer not to be coupled with someone who gave a second thought to the class system.

Agree with this!!
  • Options
    thefairydandythefairydandy Posts: 3,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would prefer not to be coupled with someone who gave a second thought to the class system.

I hope you include that in both directions, snobbery and inverse snobbery alike. My Dad's family have been middle-class since the 11th century pretty much. My Mum's family were 100% working class. I grew up in a detached house with a programmer for a Dad and a journalist for a Mum, and we were solidly middle class.

My sister is marrying a guy who is obsessed with his class and he's convinced my sister that working class is where it's at, and she comes out with all this crap about our working class heritage - completely ignoring many of our wonderful ancestors who don't fit in with her new adopted ideals!

For me, class isn't an issue, however, I find it hard to see myself ever clicking with someone who didn't have the same education as me, which in a lot of cases does boil down to the same thing.
  • Options
    tysonstormtysonstorm Posts: 24,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Class is just as relevant as political persuasion or religion. On the face of it it shouldn't matter, but underneath, it actually does.

And whilst we have such a Class divide, where the rich-poor gap continues to widen, where the ruling class implement policies that are detrimental to the working class there will always be class issues and why it should be taken on-board when forming a relationship with people. There is a Class War going on, your average man or woman on the street who isn't into politics just can't see it. For me getting involved with someone who is Middle or Upper Class would be a betrayal of my own Class.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,168
    Forum Member
    Those who worry about class, don't have any.
  • Options
    pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't even know what class I am so how do I know what class my partner should be?
  • Options
    Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member
    samsung29 wrote: »
    I do because half the t**ts using the word haven't a clue what it means and just think it's clever and cool to use it.
    I don't because the poster quoted who used the word is an intelligent woman and does know what the word means.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,051
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doesn't bother me in the slightest, I just accept people for who they are :)
  • Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cutecheeks wrote: »
    Doesn't bother me in the slightest, I just accept people for who they are :)

But how would you feel if people didn't accept you for who you are?

Or if someone you loved was discouraged from accepting you for who you are?
  • Options
    Pet1986Pet1986 Posts: 7,701
    Forum Member
    How important is class to you when choosing a partner? Or do you feel that it matter so others, when they're considering you as a partner?

It dosen't really matter to me. As long as someone is genuine, thoughtful warm caring, funny etc and yes has a look i find attractive then i don't care where they come from im about who they are now.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,186
    Forum Member
    tysonstorm wrote: »
    Class is just as relevant as political persuasion or religion. On the face of it it shouldn't matter, but underneath, it actually does.

And whilst we have such a Class divide, where the rich-poor gap continues to widen, where the ruling class implement policies that are detrimental to the working class there will always be class issues and why it should be taken on-board when forming a relationship with people. There is a Class War going on, your average man or woman on the street who isn't into politics just can't see it. For me getting involved with someone who is Middle or Upper Class would be a betrayal of my own Class.

Unashamedly honest - admirable. :)

I don't agree with 'class loyalty'. I'd betray my class in a jiffy for a partner who ticked all the boxes.

However, I've been with working class partners, a couple of upper class partners. I recall having them round, in fact for short stays (the more working class, the shorter it was actually). So I'll pick out the two most pertinent example from each class.

Basically, after a week of living with the working class one, my place ended up with cigarette packets, cigarette stubs all over the place, unflushed toilets, one tracked mind, everything became a tip, although surprisingly one day she did some housework, although I got the impression this was more to do with having a free place to stay in. Never again.

One woman was clearly upper class, as I found out later, but she was noticeably different. She was much more multi-faceted and balanced, hygienic, fair, lacking preconceived ideas - very admirable qualities.

These were more the rule than the exception in my, I would describe as vast (or vast enough), experience.