Ecclestone interview - Who off-limits

124»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 111
    Forum Member
    Pseudo-scientific poppycock! It's disturbing that you can reach such wild conclusions about one in twelve people on the strength of no credible evidence whatsoever.

I agree completely. Never could take astrology seriously, and even less so after Dara O'Briain's superb 'Racism is better than astrology' stand-up routine tore it a new one. Genius stuff. Well worth chasing down.
  • MarkBluemelMarkBluemel Posts: 1,776
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ... Never could take astrology seriously...

Neither could I, but that's probably because I'm a Capricorn.:rolleyes:
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fangster wrote: »
    Relevent quote from:

http://metro.co.uk/2013/10/25/thors-christopher-eccleston-i-was-never-a-big-fan-of-comics-2-4159699/

"At this point, I’d expect to throw our conversation back to his spell as a certain Time Lord. However, a condition of my interview is that ‘Christopher Eccleston will not answer any questions on Doctor Who’.

One presumes he’s fed up with the ongoing ‘Who’-ha over why he – the ninth Doctor, who reinvented the character and helped refashion the show into one of the most successful series on 21st-century British TV – has refused to participate in the 50th anniversary special."

Maybe he's secretly in it! :D
    (I know, I know)

If journos really want to punish him they should bring up "Gone in 60 Seconds"! A ****ing abysmal performance in a frankly terrible film which shows you just how bad CE was to stand out from the rest.
  • johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    While I can sort of understand Christopher Eccleston's attitude towards the show (from what I've read production during the first series was plagued with problems and the atmsophere wasn't nice), it makes me sad that he continues to basically snub the show. He's my favourite Doctor and it wouldn't hurt him to make talking about the show seem less like a fate worse than death. It just seems mean spirited and unprofessional at this point.

He's never snubbed the show - he's just not in it. It's not like he's never talked about the show since.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 38
    Forum Member
    So in an interview set up and arranged by Disney/Marvel PR people for Thor Dark World they were asked not to ask about Doctor Who, which is fair enough because why would Disney want to arrange an interview only to have it hijacked by Doctor Who.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 69
    Forum Member
    After today's minisode...

A regeneration wraps up Eccleston's part in Doctor Who, and maybe for him would close the chapter on that part.

I bet we get to see it - if not in the 50th, in the minisode just after.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 110
    Forum Member
    After today's minisode...

A regeneration wraps up Eccleston's part in Doctor Who, and maybe for him would close the chapter on that part.

I bet we get to see it - if not in the 50th, in the minisode just after.

My thoughts exactly, blocking out talks about who with this new regeneration is only going to spark interest in this minisode, the 50th itself and Ecclestones Doctor. Could we see Ecclestone's regeneration and he's just blanket refusing to talk about Doctor Who to make things easier for himself?

Either way it's got me excited to see more from him in Doctor Who!
  • Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deleted.
  • performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My thoughts exactly, blocking out talks about who with this new regeneration is only going to spark interest in this minisode, the 50th itself and Ecclestones Doctor. Could we see Ecclestone's regeneration and he's just blanket refusing to talk about Doctor Who to make things easier for himself?

Either way it's got me excited to see more from him in Doctor Who!

If he's in the second minisode that means that they were never lying in the first place, that both McGann and Eccleston weren't in the 50th itself.
  • IWasBoredIWasBored Posts: 3,418
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How did Chris lie? It's perfectly plausible that he may have had other commitments at the specific time DotD was scheduled to shoot. Thor 2 was going through reshoots for quite a while.

Yes pre production shots. Still, if primary photography ended in December (as it says on the Wikipedea page for Thor 2), and post photography was in January, then that means that he wasn't out of work fork for 7 months.
    Besides, Emily was shot in Summer 2012 and Lucan is still in production.

No, it was shot in February, that's when they released the behind the scenes pics. It wasn't even announced that he was in Emily until that December so how could it have been filmed in July 2012?

Plus don't forget The Leftovers (announced in June), he was recording 1984 in January (Kirsty Young tweeted that she was listening to some previews), he was giving a reading at Oxford uni in April, a documentary and a charity campaign.

All I was trying to do is to prevent this fuel that some posters seemed to relish him when he said that he wasn't exactly out of work for 7 full months. It's not exactly 100% true, that's why I made this completely tongue in cheek comment that he was a liar. :) . I don't think he's a liar. For all we know he may have had family commitments as well. Again another one of my jokes is taking the wrong way.

Pseudo-scientific poppycock! It's disturbing that you can reach such wild conclusions about one in twelve people on the strength of no credible evidence whatsoever.

I sincerely hope you don't work in recruitment or any job which allows you to put your irrational prejudice into practice.

Yeah, what is your problem? I don't give a stuff about astrology, I am having a laugh, whilst clearly everyone here is treating a dull conversation with such seriousness. You obviously cannot tell when I make tongue-in-cheek comments can you?

BTW - I never said I believed in astrology, I do know a woman with a Phd who believes in astrology. I told her that at one time I never even believed that there was such term as astrology, and she said that it does exists and she was adament that birth charts can accurately predict personality. However, she doesn't think that it can predict the future. She is also a capricorn (go figure), so maybe that disproves her point if they are supposed to be rational, also me and her do get along but she says that astrologically we're not supposed to.
  • Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thor 2 had reshoots in July and August 2013. So between December 2012 and then is around 6-7 months. Even then it's work for the same job anyway. He meant he had no other jobs lined up after Thor.
  • IWasBoredIWasBored Posts: 3,418
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But he did have other work lined up after Thor, like I just said. You really don't want me to repeat myself and say what other work he had done during the first half of this year do you?

And another thing, I disagree with all those saying that he is not nice because it appears he hadn't the time to appear in the DW anniversary or would only do one season. I think that after he gave his reason's for why he left DW after one season a few years ago, that it's enough and we should move on. If you still whinging at him, then I think that it says more about you than him. He left because he didn't like the bad management practices and the bullying that he witnessed, it proves that he is a nice person for putting others, and if you don't like that, then you are the one's who aren't nice and a pain in the ass, not him. You need o have sympathy for others.
  • PlasticGobPlasticGob Posts: 1,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He is simply amazing! That is all! :-D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The stuff about CE being in or out of work doesn't matter, I think.

I remember a Guardian interview with him (pre-2005) where he had been out of work for 18 months. It didn't seem to bother him, he was picking parts he was interested in rather than filling his diary with stuff to pay the bills.

I do wish he would be more approachable about his Who stint, and I do hope we see how he became 9, but CE isn't one for swimming with the tide.
  • be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IWasBored wrote: »
    No, it was shot in February, that's when they released the behind the scenes pics. It wasn't even announced that he was in Emily until that December so how could it have been filmed in July 2012?
    Those pics from Emily are dated 2012 and were quite clearly taken in the summer. (Unless the film was shot abroad in locations which were made to look a lot like the UK.)
    https://www.facebook.com/EmilyTheFilm

IWasBored wrote: »
    Yeah, what is your problem? I don't give a stuff about astrology, I am having a laugh, whilst clearly everyone here is treating a dull conversation with such seriousness. You obviously cannot tell when I make tongue-in-cheek comments can you?

BTW - I never said I believed in astrology, I do know a woman with a Phd who believes in astrology. I told her that at one time I never even believed that there was such term as astrology, and she said that it does exists and she was adament that birth charts can accurately predict personality. However, she doesn't think that it can predict the future. She is also a capricorn (go figure), so maybe that disproves her point if they are supposed to be rational, also me and her do get along but she says that astrologically we're not supposed to.
    You told this friend that at one time you never even believed there was such a term as astrology? How bizarre! Why would you doubt the existence of a common word? Is that yet another one of your hilarious tongue-in-cheek comments? I can't tell.:confused:

I take it your friend doesn't have a PhD in Astronomy if she believes in the utter poppycock that is Astrology?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here's the thing - Eccelston refusing to talk Who is saving a lot of blushes right now, because he's currently being the better man.

Why? Know that shot, in the trailer, which has Tennant, Hurt and Smith walking in a line?

Somewhere, in a parallel universe right now, the middle place is taken with Eccleston, because that's the place he should have been - and he was willing AND wanted to be.

Read that last sentence again, and realise what might have been.
  • be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here's the thing - Eccelston refusing to talk Who is saving a lot of blushes right now, because he's currently being the better man.

Why? Know that shot, in the trailer, which has Tennant, Hurt and Smith walking in a line?

Somewhere, in a parallel universe right now, the middle place is taken with Eccleston, because that's the place he should have been - and he was willing AND wanted to be.

Read that last sentence again, and realise what might have been.
    Well, that sounds a bit like The Dark Dimension, with every other surviving Doctor wanting Tom's role. I wonder how many of them would have gone ahead with their relatively minor roles? Apparently, Tom was the only one who had actually signed a contract at the time it was cancelled.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, that sounds a bit like The Dark Dimension, with every other surviving Doctor wanting Tom's role. I wonder how many of them would have gone ahead with their relatively minor roles? Apparently, Tom was the only one who had actually signed a contract at the time it was cancelled.

Far from it. This was never about the lion's share, especially when it came to Eccleston's involvement.