Options

Winterwatch

THOMOTHOMO Posts: 7,452
Forum Member
Anyone that's interested in wildlife a reminder that Winterwatch start its 4 day run live from Scotland this Monday evening at 8.30pm on BBC2 and it's also available from dawn-dusk via webcam on the Internet and also via the red button on BBC TV starting at 9.00am tommorow morning. Winterwatch is also hoping to broadcast live pictures of the Golden Eagle as well.
Ian.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yay, I'm very excited!
    I do wish Kate Humble would come back though.

Where are they filming from in Scotland?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Louise_ wrote: »
    Yay, I'm very excited!
    I do wish Kate Humble would come back though.

Where are they filming from in Scotland?

They are filming from the National Trust for Scotland's Mar Lodge Estate in Aberdeenshire.:)
    Ian.
  • Options
    China GirlChina Girl Posts: 2,755
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love Winterwatch and Spring and Autumn ones too. What Chris Packham doesn't know about wildlife, isn't worth knowing.
    Also like Martin's relaxing voice.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    China Girl wrote: »
    Love Winterwatch and Spring and Autumn ones too. What Chris Packham doesn't know about wildlife, isn't worth knowing.
    Also like Martin's relaxing voice.

I have not watched any of the series since Packham took over, I can't stand him.
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    lundavra wrote: »
    I have not watched any of the series since Packham took over, I can't stand him.

Me either, and I find Julia Bradbury utterly repugnant.
  • Options
    snoweyowlsnoweyowl Posts: 1,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »

Me too. Dreadful presenter.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Me either, and I find Julia Bradbury utterly repugnant.

No problem with her, she has a good sense of humour too.
  • Options
    Chief_WahooChief_Wahoo Posts: 1,454
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Winterwatch has been cancelled due to the lack of Winter!:D

Seriously,I'll be watching.I love the Seasonwatch shows on the BBC.I wasn't a huge fan of Chris Packham at the start because I really missed Bill Oddball Oddie,but I think he has settled in really well and made the show his own.Chris is a bit out there himself and I like that.

I really did prefer Kate Humble to Michaela Strachan though.Michaela is nice enough,but Kate had real passion.I thought that made her kind of hot.If Michaela was any more lightweight,she would blow away in a strong breeze.

What is with the Julia Bradbury comments? She has never even been on the show before?:confused:
  • Options
    owl61ukowl61uk Posts: 3,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looking forward to this. Seasonwatch is always good. I never watched the episodes with Bill and Kate so cannot compare.

I dont mind Chris and he is very knowledgable, Michaela is a bit lightweight and I find martin a bit of a buffoon to be honest although he is harmless
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone else miss Simon King? :(
  • Options
    Molly BloomMolly Bloom Posts: 2,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My cat enjoys these programmes very much. :D

I quite like them, too. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    My cat enjoys these programmes very much. :D

I quite like them, too. :)

The cat wouldn't have been able to stand up against the Golden Eagle that was broadcast live today with a huge massive wingspan and a fantastic sight.
  • Options
    Steveaki13Steveaki13 Posts: 655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That was fantastic. It really gives you an idea of the size of a Golden Eagle.

I always enjoy the season watch programmes. They are harmless and signify the passing seasons for me.

I enjoyed Bill and Kate with Simon and now I like Chris, Michaela and Martin.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Steveaki13 wrote: »

I always enjoy the season watch programmes. They are harmless and signify the passing seasons for me.

As I'm a member of the RSPB and I'm also a member of the forums on the RSPB website as well, I've been lucky enough to have viewed some very rare birds at different places including the Golden Eagle, Osprey, Bittern etc. Also where I live in North East England we still have Red Squirrels and I've viewed them on numerous occasions.
    Ian.
  • Options
    Steveaki13Steveaki13 Posts: 655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    THOMO wrote: »
    As I'm a member of the RSPB and I'm also a member of the forums on the RSPB website as well, I've been lucky enough to have viewed some very rare birds at different places including the Golden Eagle, Osprey, Bittern etc. Also where I live in North East England we still have Red Squirrels and I've viewed them on numerous occasions.
    Ian.

Sounds great. I would love to have more time to get out and see more. I just never seem to get round to it.
  • Options
    Raven_CrowRaven_Crow Posts: 32
    Forum Member
    Yes I miss Simon King - think he's David Attenborough's natural successor .... or should be anyway. I like Chris Packham, but he comes across to me as a bit of a cold fish, doesn't have Simon's warmth.

I prefer Michaela to Kate Humble. Kate often spoke to the camera like she was listening to instructions on her ear piece at the same time - a slightly distracted delivery. Come to think of it she probably was doing just that a good part of the time.
  • Options
    DirtyhippyDirtyhippy Posts: 2,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really like the presenters and the whole show, Chris has a sense of humour that may not appeal to all but he's very well informed and knows his stuff. I think there is good chemistry between them all.

I always look forward to the "Watch" programmes they lift my mood tremendously.
  • Options
    kwynne42kwynne42 Posts: 75,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Simon is too busy catching burgulars on motion Capture Camera's see today's papers to be on the various Watches heh:D:D
  • Options
    Tony_BrooksTony_Brooks Posts: 485
    Forum Member
    Coincidentally, we were in Braemar for a week just before Christmas and went to the Linn of Dee when it was cold and snowy - a few miles from our hotel - saw the knitted stag in the local coffee shop and had a lovely walk across the hills and by the Dee. Lovely area.

Cost us £99 each!!!! Brilliant place
  • Options
    ennui 57ennui 57 Posts: 1,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steveaki13 wrote: »

I agree. They are all good.

That Golden Eagle was just fantastic.

Why are they so endangered? Have they been shot in the past, or is it down to the stealing of eggs?

(Sorry, I should just google)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ennui 57 wrote: »
    I agree. They are all good.

That Golden Eagle was just fantastic.

Why are they so endangered? Have they been shot in the past, or is it down to the stealing of eggs?

(Sorry, I should just google)

Nearly all wild birds are protected along with other wildlife, exceptions are pests and shooting of gamebirds although the Capercaillie which breed up in Scotland and is extremely rare is fully protected. Wildfowl shooting is another legal form of hunting. Of course there is still a lot of illegal persecution of protected wildlife in the UK. All birds of prey in the UK are legally protected in the UK.
    Ian.
  • Options
    zoepaulpennyzoepaulpenny Posts: 15,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dirtyhippy wrote: »
    I really like the presenters and the whole show, Chris has a sense of humour that may not appeal to all but he's very well informed and knows his stuff. I think there is good chemistry between them all.

I always look forward to the "Watch" programmes they lift my mood tremendously.

ANYONE miss the great BILL ODDIE???
  • Options
    NormandieNormandie Posts: 4,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ANYONE miss the great BILL ODDIE???
    No, not even slightly. He never seemed to be an ensemble presenter - he works better solo. Some of his dismissive remarks and apparent irritation with his co-presenters - particularly Kate Humble iIrc - made jarring viewing.
  • Options
    AlabasterCodifyAlabasterCodify Posts: 63
    Forum Member
    Still trying to get over Chris Packham saying "we could have black cocks live" last night when talking about those grouse prancing about!

I like that excitable bloke's seemingly endless supply of Fjallraven jackets though
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Still trying to get over Chris Packham saying "we could have black cocks live" last night when talking about those grouse prancing about!

Haha I know!! He said it few times as well - surely after the first time he realised how bad it sounded!
    kwynne42 wrote: »
    Simon is too busy catching burgulars on motion Capture Camera's see today's papers to be on the various Watches heh:D:D

Just looked it up - that's brilliant ha!!