Options

The Division Bell 20 Years Ago

artnadaartnada Posts: 10,113
Forum Member
✭✭
Teaser site up with countdown to less than 2 1 hour from now with the hastag #TDB20

Wonder what it'll announce.

Probably a Division Bell Immersion Box Set.

http://divisionbell20.com/

Comments

• Options
    Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,495
    Forum Member
    20 years? Bloody hell.
  • Options
    Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was a good album, and the live shows were spectacular, but it doesn't compare with the Roger Waters era.
  • Options
    RikScotRikScot Posts: 2,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was a good album, and the live shows were spectacular, but it doesn't compare with the Roger Waters era.

There will be someone along in a bit saying it all went south after Syd left ;-)
  • Options
    NewWorldManNewWorldMan Posts: 4,908
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RikScot wrote: »
    There will be someone along in a bit saying it all went south after Syd left ;-)

Yes, there are people who only like that era aren't there? In fact, a friend of nine is one. I'm kind of the opposite.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Depends how you define the Roger Waters era. IMO, Pink Floyd's best period was Meddle->Dark Side->Wish You Were Here. Once Roger started to dominate it went gradually downhill. Roger plus Dave, however, was a great combo.
  • Options
    Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,495
    Forum Member
    Yes, there are people who only like that era aren't there? In fact, a friend of nine is one. I'm kind of the opposite.

Me too, I've got The Piper at the Gates of Dawn, both Syd solo albums and his later Opel compilation, which represents practically his entire output, and you could probably get the best of that lot on to one CD.
  • Options
    starsailorstarsailor Posts: 11,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    High hopes still sends shivers down my spine.. had some PF fans who got me into the band around that time...
  • Options
    pinkitspinkits Posts: 393
    Forum Member
    Love this album,High hopes is one of my fave songs ever.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If Syd had stayed around, the like of DSOTM, The Wall, Animals, TDB etc would never had appeared.

Pink Floyd would have become just another long lost obscure 1960's psychedelic band playing pubs for £50 a night.

Sometimes good things come from other people's misfortunes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Depends how you define the Roger Waters era. IMO, Pink Floyd's best period was Meddle->Dark Side->Wish You Were Here. Once Roger started to dominate it went gradually downhill. Roger plus Dave, however, was a great combo.

Meddle was the start of the great era for me. Before that they were all over the place trying to get a proper shape.

I disagree that they went downhill after Wish You Were Here, although their relationship did as Roger became the dominant factor.

He had a huge ego, but he was by far the best songwriter in the band, and one of the best around. Animals, The Wall, and The Final Cut are up there with the very best for me.
  • Options
    Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Meddle was the start of the great era for me. Before that they were all over the place trying to get a proper shape.

I disagree that they went downhill after Wish You Were Here, although their relationship did as Roger became the dominant factor.

He had a huge ego, but he was by far the best songwriter in the band, and one of the best around. Animals, The Wall, and The Final Cut are up there with the very best for me.

I think it was Roger's ego that drove the band to achieve what they did. Interesting you mention The Final Cut, an often derided album. For me their output, from Meddle to The Division Bell, is quite remarkable in its consistency. It is easy to say Album X is better than Album Y but the reality is 99.99% of the bands in the world would be pleased to get to the level of Album X, let alone Album Y!

My personal favourite varies, but Animals and The Wall would always make up two of my favourite three Pink Floyd albums.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it was Roger's ego that drove the band to achieve what they did. Interesting you mention The Final Cut, an often derided album. For me their output, from Meddle to The Division Bell, is quite remarkable in its consistency. It is easy to say Album X is better than Album Y but the reality is 99.99% of the bands in the world would be pleased to get to the level of Album X, let alone Album Y!

My personal favourite varies, but Animals and The Wall would always make up two of my favourite three Pink Floyd albums.

I agree. Pink Floyd have always been a band that I cant consistently name my favourite album, but the two you mention are always in the reckoning.

The Final Cut is pretty much a Roger solo album, and takes some getting into after what went before, but once you get there, it is a fantastic album.

I also agree that the others carried on partly to show Roger that they could survive without him, and they did, especially live, much to Rogers annoyance, putting it mildly.

Although the two albums they recorded were good, they don't reach the levels of what went before.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Animals is OK but, for me, not as good as what came before.

I thought The Wall was brilliant for a while but then I started to find it too depressing. But it does have some great songs on it.

The Final Cut I thought was dreadful. Admittedly after buying it I only listened to it once, which is unfair really. But to me it just seemed like The Wall leftovers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree. Pink Floyd have always been a band that I cant consistently name my favourite album, but the two you mention are always in the reckoning.
    Re: The Wall, at the time I had a friend who hated Pink Floyd but loved The Wall. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Animals is OK but, for me, not as good as what came before.

I thought The Wall was brilliant for a while but then I started to find it too depressing. But it does have some great songs on it.

The Final Cut I thought was dreadful. Admittedly after buying it I only listened to it once, which is unfair really. But to me it just seemed like The Wall leftovers.

I initially liked the two pre Animals albums better than those that followed, but after really listening to it, and The Wall, they are the ones that have stood the test of time for me, and are my top two.

I was like you after one play of the Final Cut. It took me about three years to play it again, and I love it now.

It fits in perfectly with Amused To Death by Roger, and to a degree The Wall. None are the type of album you play for background music, or a singalong. They need to be played in full, and listened to.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I initially liked the two pre Animals albums better than those that followed, but after really listening to it, and The Wall, they are the ones that have stood the test of time for me, and are my top two.

I was like you after one play of the Final Cut. It took me about three years to play it again, and I love it now.

It fits in perfectly with Amused To Death by Roger, and to a degree The Wall. None are the type of album you play for background music, or a singalong. They need to be played in full, and listened to.

The Wall, The Final Cut, Amused to Death, all, in my opinion, linked to each other. Good to listen to back to back.

Don't forget a good quality rope though to hang yourself with after - very big ;) with that comment
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    artnada wrote: »
    The Wall, The Final Cut, Amused to Death, all, in my opinion, linked to each other. Good to listen to back to back.

Don't forget a good quality rope though to hang yourself with after - very big ;) with that comment

You're right, they really are three of kind, but not exactly cheer you up music.:)
  • Options
    bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You're right, they really are three of kind, but not exactly cheer you up music.:)

True but Comfortably Numb gives me a feeling unlike any other song has done. Though it's the guitar solos what do it.
  • Options
    Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    starsailor wrote: »
    High hopes still sends shivers down my spine.. had some PF fans who got me into the band around that time...

TDB is a good album, and I think it's unjustly underrated.
  • Options
    Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Never been a Pink Floyd fan but love The Division Bell. One of my work mates brought it in to play on the works CD Player and I was amazed by it. Still one of my all time favourite albums. Can it really be 20 years old :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bryemycaz wrote: »
    True but Comfortably Numb gives me a feeling unlike any other song has done. Though it's the guitar solos what do it.

Again, agree completely. There are some brilliant songs on that album, but when it is played from start to finish they seem to get even better.
  • Options
    icic Posts: 903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A fabulous album .Theres not many bands around now that you have to "listen" to .Most of it is all just background noise .
  • Options
    FrankBTFrankBT Posts: 4,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Totally agree. Mind you, Animals had its moments, particularly Dave Gilmour's guitar work. But after that album musically it all got a bit silly, stale and overblown, and their creative spark was gone. I'd much rather listen to Abba nowadays than the Watersless era tbh.
  • Options
    bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bryemycaz wrote: »

You know I told a lie there, there is one other song that gived me the same feeling as Comfortably Numb.

this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMrhRqK4iig
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^^^ The best version of Echoes bar none.
    It was made loud, so Play it loud :)