Options

Karen Maitland

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 214
Forum Member
I was reading the Shardlake thread and wondered if anybody had read either Company of Liars or The Owl Killers by Karen Maitland. I was fairly impressed by both books because of their unusual Middle Ages setting, and their collection of characters.

Comments

• Options
    BarbellaBarbella Posts: 5,417
    Forum Member
    Absolutely LOVED Company of Liars, excellent book. She really captured the superstition of the age brilliantly. In fact I would go so far to say that in terms of evoking a time and a place it is the best book I have ever read.

I've just bought Owl Killers and will be reading it soon.

Highly recommended.
  • Options
    Chickens hitChickens hit Posts: 26,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Company Of Liars was a fantastic read for me. Enjoyed it immensely, but the blurb on the back of Owl Killers just didn't grab me to be honest, so I've not read it........I know, shouldn't judge a book and all that.....;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Am in need of some reading inspiration just now - its the summer holidays and its raining...

so i have ordered Company of Liars, thankyou for the recommendation :) ( but as said above, i didnt fancy the blurb on her other witchy women book) - which then took me to Seance by John Harwood, and if i like that, I'll get the Ghost Writer.

Suddenly a month in a static caravan, in Britains wettest county, with four soggy children doesnt seem quite so bad.

Plus, I also have House of Leaves ( as recommended on another thread) which arrived yesterday and looks very interesting. But its mighty huge and hefty!

And I love the caravan, really. :)
  • Options
    BarbellaBarbella Posts: 5,417
    Forum Member
    Whirliegig wrote: »
    Am in need of some reading inspiration just now - its the summer holidays and its raining...

so i have ordered Company of Liars, thankyou for the recommendation :) ( but as said above, i didnt fancy the blurb on her other witchy women book) - which then took me to Seance by John Harwood, and if i like that, I'll get the Ghost Writer.

Suddenly a month in a static caravan, in Britains wettest county, with four soggy children doesnt seem quite so bad.

Plus, I also have House of Leaves ( as recommended on another thread) which arrived yesterday and looks very interesting. But its mighty huge and hefty!

And I love the caravan, really. :)

There's quite a bit of rain in Company of Liars so it will be quite atmospheric ... the rain, the caravan, the plague......;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Barbella wrote: »
    There's quite a bit of rain in Company of Liars so it will be quite atmospheric ... the rain, the caravan, the plague......;)

so not exactly escapism, then.

:)
  • Options
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 6,149
    Forum Member
    Loved them both- Owl Killers is really eerie.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Barbella wrote: »

There's a lot more rain in Owl Killers. And dark woods, and neo-renegade nuns, confusingly all called Martha. Am I selling this?

Read the Seance fairly recently, very Nu-Victorian Gothic. With a lot of rain.

:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,361
    Forum Member
    So glad to hear good reviews for Karen Maitland's books. I have Owl Killers next to read :) Looks good.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    kittomic wrote: »
    So glad to hear good reviews for Karen Maitland's books. I have Owl Killers next to read :) Looks good.

It's a close call, but out of the two I think I prefered Owl Killers.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 370
    Forum Member
    Whirliegig wrote: »
    Seance by John Harwood, and if i like that, I'll get the Ghost Writer.

I really enjoyed both of these :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 31
    Forum Member
    Just finished Company Of Liars. Couldn't put it down and as someone said it was very atmospheric. Now ordered the Owl Killers. Are these the only two books she has written?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jingles436 wrote: »
    Just finished Company Of Liars. Couldn't put it down and as someone said it was very atmospheric. Now ordered the Owl Killers. Are these the only two books she has written?

More coming it appears. :)

http://www.karenmaitland.com/

Hmmm, wish I'd known about that special edition 'Owl killers' when I bought mine. :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    read the Company of Liars in the summer. ( and the Seance)

yep. it rained.