Options

Who should represent the UK next year?

Comments

• Options
    EbealeEbeale Posts: 2,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Leona Lewis should do, good promotion for her.
    + her voice will outshine all the others. imo
  • Options
    phill363phill363 Posts: 24,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Marina and The Diamonds would be good she can write good strong songs too and I'm sure she would pull something amazing out the bag.
  • Options
    popmusicmanpopmusicman Posts: 2,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the BBC are looking for a female artist anyone think Kimberley from Girls Aloud might be contender to represent the UK

She has just done Strictly on the BBC so her individual profile is much higher and about to release a solo album. With Girls Aloud about to split it would be a chance to launch her solo career in Europe
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    globbits wrote: »
    I thought that was cuckoo clocks and Toblerone?

And tax evasion? :D I always thought cuckoo clocks were more German than Swiss, but cuckoo clocks come from the Black Forest and it's near the Swiss border. I was there for a couple of days last summer.
  • Options
    21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
    Forum Member
    If the BBC are looking for a female artist anyone think Kimberley from Girls Aloud might be contender to represent the UK

She has just done Strictly on the BBC so her individual profile is much higher and about to release a solo album. With Girls Aloud about to split it would be a chance to launch her solo career in Europe

The only two original songs on her album are written by songwriters with very strong Eurovision pedigree (Kempe wrote Popular, Hero & La Voi)

She also appeared in a West End homage to Eurovision last year.

Wouldn't be surprised at all.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,681
    Forum Member

I think she would be a great choice to represent us.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 220
    Forum Member

If it is (big if) I would they choose 'Dreams Can Learn to Fly'. Brassy show tunes style, not a winner, but not a right hand side of the table either.
  • Options
    penguinpersonpenguinperson Posts: 16,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ewanspence wrote: »
    If it is (big if) I would they choose 'Dreams Can Learn to Fly'. Brassy show tunes style, not a winner, but not a right hand side of the table either.

I'd bet now it would easily be right hand side. Lithuania 2011 is better.
  • Options
    Booty luvBooty luv Posts: 2,525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm thinking mutya keisha siobhan. Eurovison could be a nice little gig for the trio as so far their comeback has been lacking and they seem to have lost the media attention

Failing that I wolud say Booty Luv, The girls have been away since 2009 but they have a new single coming out in February and sadly the girls have lost the intention they had in 2009 and people have moved on a forgot about these girls. Eurovison would put them back in the public eye and would be good promotion for their album. We all know these girls can sing as we heard them when they tried in 2007 :)
  • Options
    itunesfestival2itunesfestival2 Posts: 862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To get everyone hyped, on Scott Mill's radio show just now he said that he knows who the UK representative is and he's hearing the song next week! (Bearing in mind he's the commentator for the semi-finals on the BBC) So we should be hearing it soon then!
  • Options
    SoppyfanSoppyfan Posts: 29,911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it's another joke act for us...god help us...
  • Options
    MissMidgardMissMidgard Posts: 5,756
    Forum Member
    Booty luv wrote: »
    I'm thinking mutya keisha siobhan. Eurovison could be a nice little gig for the trio as so far their comeback has been lacking and they seem to have lost the media attention

Failing that I wolud say Booty Luv, The girls have been away since 2009 but they have a new single coming out in February and sadly the girls have lost the intention they had in 2009 and people have moved on a forgot about these girls. Eurovison would put them back in the public eye and would be good promotion for their album. We all know these girls can sing as we heard them when they tried in 2007 :)

I think this is a good bet for a nice result for the UK. The original Sugababes aren't unknown in Europe, they had success in places such as Scandinavia, Germany, Austria, etc.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd bet on them to come last
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Amelia Lily has said she'd be up for it.
  • Options
    Glyn WGlyn W Posts: 5,819
    Forum Member
    Get a rock band to do it so our entry stands out, in a good way,

It's dispiritiing how everybody seems to think yet another r'n'b/pop-by-numbers identikit outfit will somehow win when it's never happened - or even come close - in the past. It doesn't work, folks!

Who would I like to do it? I'd love to see The Damned do it. Seeing them do something like this on Eurovision would have stood out in a bloody good way:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtW9gqbY8n8
  • Options
    MaksonMakson Posts: 30,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lucy Spraggan
    KT Tunstall
    Michelle McManus
  • Options
    topdog2006topdog2006 Posts: 467
    Forum Member
    Personally I think that Kimberley Walsh is probably the most likely choice out of those suggested, given she's now had a good stint with the BBC, releasing new solo material and still popular after Strictly.

I do think however that Diana VIckers would be a good representative. Something like this I think would do pretty well if we entered it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFygRXLGlos

However if she's been asked before and turned it down, I can't see that she'd want to suddenly change her mind. Most artists seem to view Eurovision as a "last resort" these days unfortunately.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    topdog2006 wrote: »
    Personally I think that Kimberley Walsh is probably the most likely choice out of those suggested, given she's now had a good stint with the BBC, releasing new solo material and still popular after Strictly.

I do think however that Diana VIckers would be a good representative. Something like this I think would do pretty well if we entered it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFygRXLGlos

However if she's been asked before and turned it down, I can't see that she'd want to suddenly change her mind. Most artists seem to view Eurovision as a "last resort" these days unfortunately.

Walsh is not happening. Diana 2 years ago on twitter said she'd do it if it trended. It didn't:D
  • Options
    Cestrian18Cestrian18 Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member
    To get everyone hyped, on Scott Mill's radio show just now he said that he knows who the UK representative is and he's hearing the song next week! (Bearing in mind he's the commentator for the semi-finals on the BBC) So we should be hearing it soon then!

Ooh, Exciting Times, although after last year it could be anyone, that suggests its been written and recorded as we speak-As for who it could be, well anyone I guess,who seriously thought it would be Englebert before the entry was announced? :p
  • Options
    Cestrian18Cestrian18 Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member
    Amelia Lily has said she'd be up for it.

This would be incredible, just heard her new song, she be perfect, rocky esque vocals with a big dance uptempo number could do really well, and her version of The show must go on was the best thing about that series of X Factor so we know she'd deliver vocally *prays to god of Eurovision :p*
  • Options
    Glyn WGlyn W Posts: 5,819
    Forum Member
    Cestrian18 wrote: »
    This would be incredible, just heard her new song, she be perfect, rocky esque vocals with a big dance uptempo number could do really well, and her version of The show must go on was the best thing about that series of X Factor so we know she'd deliver vocally *prays to god of Eurovision :p*

I've never heard of her but is she yet another one of these people who even the people of this country can't be bothered to vote for but that are somehow expected to garner votes from across Europe? No wonder we don't win when people think that.
  • Options
    steeleuro_wolfsteeleuro_wolf Posts: 13,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cestrian18 wrote: »

I don't know about "incredible", but if we were going to have an X Factor act I think she'd be the best choice. Her or Rebecca Ferguson, but I can't see Rebecca a) doing it or b) doing well if she did.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Whoever we pick, the UK needs to send somebody great or else we risk letting the Big 5 down- judging by the artists selected/ in contention to be selected, it could be a very good year for Spain, Germany, Italy & France! Let's hope the UK keeps up the trend.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We'll see what they actually present opposed to what their promising. Germany has a lot of bottom 10-5 songs in that finall. Though the French singer can sing she's a commercial flop due to poor material.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,382
    Forum Member
    Isn't Rebecca quite popular in Europe? I'm sure she's done quite a few shows in Germany and that region.