is blu-ray dead? how do you watch your films?

stuntmasterstuntmaster Posts: 5,070
Forum Member
Interesting question.

Go answer.

Poll comming

How do you watch your films? 410 votes

Via Blu-Ray
38%
No-One[Deleted User]JustinThePubMicroSmurfnaquadaCarlos_dfcAcerBenPedrostevendale123ikkleosu[Deleted User][Deleted User]David (2)pcdocCLL Dodge[Deleted User]Ellie666jodrellboksboxDave3622 157 votes
Via DVD
23%
jayemjay[Deleted User]redarrowbingoesBlofeldOvalteenieKJ44KIIS102StewartFGlyn WflickpotDan SetteHeavenlyAhlSDevil_NightsDeep PurpleNigel GoodwinIzzySWelsh-ladphilbrown 96 votes
Via VHS
2%
lemoncurdSoundboxrick182DJ Jimmy[Deleted User]Fairyprincess0mackaraDemonicrodentbrain_higgy 9 votes
Via Streaming Services such as netflix etc
15%
Bill ClintonBrian1709jackthomadam1968ukpaulbrockZeusjonmorrisSandiPantsMarkLS12Echo1TelevisionUserbatgirl*Eileen*Barneygumble84rbdcaytopupkrazyhazy-daysTidosho-GONZO-Peter the Great 62 votes
Via TV subscription like sky/virgin
5%
CaxtonThePerfectOnemax25[Deleted User]TH14sajanshaggy_xhowardlO'Neill[Deleted User]spikydogPaulie WalnutsSuperAPJResonance[Deleted User]jioscarSherbetLemonBrady12Darren_Hawkinschris1978 24 votes
Via a media player and downloaded films
15%
CitySlickerSwipeScratchplatedj1471sam edwickAsh_735blueisthecolourDazerUKOak[Deleted User]Evo102UKMikey[Deleted User]LostFooltim1964WeetibixsamtheqtInMyArmsnafanny29francis7 62 votes

Comments

• James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    Via Blu-Ray
    If/when I buy any new film or series new now it's on Blu Ray (If possible )
  • IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Via DVD
    On DVDs or I'll record it onto my V+ box if its shown on cable TV.
  • alan29alan29 Posts: 34,636
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DVD or cinema.
    Bluray and 3D were just marketing gimmicks to shift boxes when what is really needed is a massive improvement in scripts and acting.
    Sadly my equipment hasn't got the right buttons to make those improvements. High def/3D crap is just crap, but clearer.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Via DVD
    IzzyS wrote: »
    On DVDs or I'll record it onto my V+ box if its shown on cable TV.

Same here, although if my V+ gets to critical I have to delete somer without watching.
  • victor melvictor mel Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still mostly buy DVD's even though I have a Bluray player. I resent paying the extra price for the same film/box set.
  • kramstan70kramstan70 Posts: 428
    Forum Member
    Via Blu-Ray
    alan29 wrote: »
    DVD or cinema.
    Bluray and 3D were just marketing gimmicks to shift boxes when what is really needed is a massive improvement in scripts and acting.
    Sadly my equipment hasn't got the right buttons to make those improvements. High def/3D crap is just crap, but clearer.

Very enlightened post.:rolleyes: Tell us why high def/3D is "just crap, but clearer" and why blu-ray and 3D were just marketing gimmicks to shift boxes. I'd be really interested in your views on this.
  • IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Via DVD
    DVD or cinema.

My TV is only 20" so there wouldn't be enough difference to make it worth paying for Bluray, since the screen wouldn't be big enough to properly display the HD qualities, as far as I know (plus DVD is much cheaper, although I mainly rent rather than buy, via Lovefilm). My DVD recorder upscales anyway, so its good enough for me.
    Jenbonjovi wrote: »
    Same here, although if my V+ gets to critical I have to delete somer without watching.

I've had to do that too, though I have 52 hours free at the moment so it shouldn't be an issue for some time.
  • James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    Via Blu-Ray
    victor mel wrote: »
    Still mostly buy DVD's even though I have a Bluray player. I resent paying the extra price for the same film/box set.
    TBH I don't find them that much extra online sometimes it's only a pound or two more and you sometimes you get Blu Ray extras
  • NilremNilrem Posts: 6,939
    Forum Member
    I buy both on DVD and blu-ray, depending on three things.

1: Is it something I want to watch at it's best.
    2: Is it something that is available in Blu-ray
    3: Price.

I don't think Blu-ray is a gimmick, especially not for watching films with a lot going on at home.
    I've got some titles on Bluray and DVD and with some films the extra detail available on blu-ray can be amazing (things like being able to read the text on background screens, or papers*).

I do think that 3d at home,. at least at the moment however is a gimmick

I also don't think that DVD and Bluray will be going anywhere for a fairly long time, as it's still not possible to stream good quality video everywhere, and a lot of people like to own a physical copy of something they've paid for - especially for something that is relatively hard/expensive to backup yourself (and in the case or digitally owned copies of movies, you're still very much reliant on the service you bought it from remaining operational).

*Sometimes you can tell the film makers have put the extra effort in, when you realise the report sat on someone's desk in the film actually ties in to something.
  • Tavis75Tavis75 Posts: 593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Via Blu-Ray
    A mixture of Blu-Ray and DVD, depending on the price and the film, anything I'm particularly interested in will be on Blu-Ray, but I still pick up older bargains on DVD or newer films where the picture quality isn't likely to be much of an issue.

Currently ripping all my DVDs to a media server (in full quality) for easier access. May do the same for Blu-Ray in the future but the quality of the playback device and the storage requirements may put me off.
  • rick182rick182 Posts: 11,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Via VHS
    illegally
  • alan29alan29 Posts: 34,636
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kramstan70 wrote: »
    Very enlightened post.:rolleyes: Tell us why high def/3D is "just crap, but clearer" and why blu-ray and 3D were just marketing gimmicks to shift boxes. I'd be really interested in your views on this.

I watch a film to see a quality plot with a good and literate script acted by excellent actors. How do 3D or High def contribute to those things? Very little, so they must be about something else - special effects? thrills for the eyes, possibly?
    Manufacturing is all about making money. When most people have the equipment already to view films at home, you need to get them to replace it or you stop making money. The way you do that is by bringing out new gimmicks. Sales figures suggest that the public uptake of Bluray and 3D has not been good, so we can all expect the next marketing gimmick.
    Meanwhile Hollywood is intent on bringing out noisy, effect-laden dross for kids and lazy sequels when one of their efforts has made money.
  • JulesandSandJulesandSand Posts: 6,012
    Forum Member
    There aren't many films I would want to retain and re-watch but if I did it would be BluRay - I know it's not a 'film' as such but Planet Earth is terrific in HD.

Other than that I mainly watch them in HD via Sky. I'm not a great fan of going to the cinema these days.

I have most of Woody Allen's films on DVD. These are mostly mono sound and HD wouldn't significantly add anything to the experience.
  • Smiley433Smiley433 Posts: 7,890
    Forum Member
    Where's the option for "Wait until it is shown on free to air TV", or "I don't buy movies"?
  • rick182rick182 Posts: 11,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Via VHS
    or the option for illegal downloads
  • KidMoeKidMoe Posts: 5,851
    Forum Member
    kramstan70 wrote: »

3D is primarily a marketing gimmick, one jumped upon by the film studios to draw in extra crowds to otherwise unremarkable films, one loved by cinema chains as it cuts down on piracy and one loved by equipment manufacturers as it gave them an excuse to flog everyone a new TV.

It's technology driven by the desire to increase revenue, and not to improve the viewer's experience.
  • allaboardallaboard Posts: 1,940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not even sure what the **** Blue Ray is if I'm honest, is it just the same as VHS versus Betamax?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    Via DVD
    I never bought into the blu-ray thing. Never saw the point tbh. I watch mainly DVD's, go the cinema or stream something online from my laptop. Some things just aren't worth watching in hi-def. There's no point.
  • DavonatorDavonator Posts: 4,409
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still mainly buy Blu Rays and DVDs.

On different days I like watching the film, then the added in documenantarys/making ofs, then listening to the cast/director commentary. These are on disc copies.As far as I know when you stream you only stream the film and cannot acces such bonus features. By all means though correct me if i'm wrong on that.
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,258
    Forum Member
    Via Blu-Ray
    Blu-ray. Though some hard to find movies and a lot of TV Series you can only find on DVD, so that isn't going anywhere.
  • fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mainly

But also

Blu Ray Via PS3

And now again DVD and TV to
  • vanzandtfanvanzandtfan Posts: 8,897
    Forum Member
    I watch a film to see a quality plot with a good and literate script acted by excellent actors. How do 3D or High def contribute to those things? Very little, so they must be about something else - special effects? thrills for the eyes, possibly?
    Manufacturing is all about making money. When most people have the equipment already to view films at home, you need to get them to replace it or you stop making money. The way you do that is by bringing out new gimmicks. Sales figures suggest that the public uptake of Bluray and 3D has not been good, so we can all expect the next marketing gimmick.
    Meanwhile Hollywood is intent on bringing out noisy, effect-laden dross for kids and lazy sequels when one of their efforts has made money.

Whats wrong with "thrills for the eyes"? Movies are a visual medium. And that doesn't just mean special effects it can simply mean a well shot film with beautiful cinematography, which will look a lot better on blu-ray than on DVD.

In answer to the OP, cinema, blu-ray, streaming or downloading
  • VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Via Blu-Ray
    Blu ray. DVD just doesn't look good on large HD TVs. If your TV is 32" DVD still looks fine. Above that and you're pushing it and you should go blu ray. They should be the same price as DVDs though.
  • Fowl FaxFowl Fax Posts: 3,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mostly via freeview.
  • finkfink Posts: 2,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Via TV subscription like sky/virgin
    Sky Movies / Box Office HD

There are few movies that I consider worthy of repeat viewings. Most new movies are a bit like fast food. Tasty and fun for a quick fix, but no real lasting nutrition.