Tell me a story from your life.

As a nosey individual who loves reading and stories. I thought I would make this thread. The point is to tell a story from your life, something that you think other people might find interesting? Or funny, or scary or anything really........ Wheter it happened 40 years ago on a bus, or yesterday whilst watching TV.

I just wanna hear some stories :o

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,174
    Forum Member
    You start then :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    You start then :D

:eek: I knew someone would notice lol
  • HarrisonMarksHarrisonMarks Posts: 4,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One time I made an inconsequential post on a website. Total waste of time, to be honest.
  • pfgpowellpfgpowell Posts: 5,347
    Forum Member
    I don’t believe in ghosts and never have done, but something once happened which I can’t explain. Many years ago, my family live in Berlin where my father worked. It was the end of the summer of 1962 and the family – mother, father, older brother, younger sister and young brother, all came to England for a holiday.

At the end of August my father and I returned to Berlin because he had to start work again and I, who went to a German school, had to start the autumn term. My older brother and the rest stayed in England so that my older brother could start boarding school.

He had and has always been highly strung (he has suffered mental illness for many years and is still not well) and he really did not want to go to boarding school. My mother told me later that he cried solidly for three days.

We had never really got on and I was rather pleased he was leaving the house as I could have his room at the top of the house. But we had always been close and were brought up as a pair. There is only 21 months between us. As children he often relied on me because I was more outgoing (I am now repeating what my mother told me before she died – I don’t really remember any of it) and I suppose his nose was put out of joint as the only child in the family when I arrived.

One late afternoon in early September I was jumping the fence into our garden from a neighbour’s garden. It was still sunny. It wasn’t late. The house was about 30 feet away from the gate. I jumped over and looked up and there was my brother, standing on the patio. He raised his hand and waved to me, then turned and disappeared into the house.

I remember being annoyed. What the hell was he doing back in Berlin, I thought. I went into the house and called for him, but of course the house was empty. He had been in England all the time.

I still can’t explain it.
  • benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You would not believe me if I were to give you just a couple of episodes.:)
  • sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yesterday, I was stood waiting at some traffic lights and to my surprise, I found that the traffic lights seemed to change much quicker than usual. I quickly crossed the road to get to the other side, remembering to look for silly cyclists.

I hope you enjoyed my story:D
    Forum Member
    pfgpowell wrote: »
    I don’t believe in ghosts and never have done, but something once happened which I can’t explain. Many years ago, my family live in Berlin where my father worked. It was the end of the summer of 1962 and the family – mother, father, older brother, younger sister and young brother, all came to England for a holiday.

At the end of August my father and I returned to Berlin because he had to start work again and I, who went to a German school, had to start the autumn term. My older brother and the rest stayed in England so that my older brother could start boarding school.

He had and has always been highly strung (he has suffered mental illness for many years and is still not well) and he really did not want to go to boarding school. My mother told me later that he cried solidly for three days.

We had never really got on and I was rather pleased he was leaving the house as I could have his room at the top of the house. But we had always been close and were brought up as a pair. There is only 21 months between us. As children he often relied on me because I was more outgoing (I am now repeating what my mother told me before she died – I don’t really remember any of it) and I suppose his nose was put out of joint as the only child in the family when I arrived.

One late afternoon in early September I was jumping the fence into our garden from a neighbour’s garden. It was still sunny. It wasn’t late. The house was about 30 feet away from the gate. I jumped over and looked up and there was my brother, standing on the patio. He raised his hand and waved to me, then turned and disappeared into the house.

I remember being annoyed. What the hell was he doing back in Berlin, I thought. I went into the house and called for him, but of course the house was empty. He had been in England all the time.

I still can’t explain it.

Things like this are always so strange, but I've heard so many similar stories from childhood - perhaps a boy that looked similar to your brother was there?
  • epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I once accidentally set myself on fire with a sparkler. When the person standing next to me noticed before I did, he panicked and picked me up and threw me to the ground, knocking me out cold.

Good times...
    Forum Member
    benjamini wrote: »
    You would not believe me if I were to give you just a couple of episodes.:)

I'd believe anything :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    epicurian wrote: »
    I once accidentally set myself on fire with a sparkler. When the person standing next to me noticed before I did, he panicked and picked me up and threw me to the ground, knocking me out cold.

Good times...

Good intentions too:)
    Forum Member
    epicurian wrote: »

Good times...

Oh my :eek: How on earth did that happen?

I KNEW my fear of sparklers wasn't irrational!!!!
  • pfgpowellpfgpowell Posts: 5,347
    Forum Member
    Things like this are always so strange, but I've heard so many similar stories from childhood - perhaps a boy that looked similar to your brother was there?

No, whoever I saw was my brother. And there was anyway no one else around.
  • ArmiArmi Posts: 3,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I once grew a lettuce.

Never again. Nothing but trouble.
    Forum Member
    pfgpowell wrote: »
    No, whoever I saw was my brother. And there was anyway no one else around.

That is very strange, this things often go completely unexplained to.

I do find incidents like this fascinating though.
  • AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I once ran a woman over. But it was all her fault. Her husband even paid for my car to get fixed.
  • phylo_roadkingphylo_roadking Posts: 21,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One evening nearly twenty years ago now I was heading after work to buy a set of brake pads at our local large motorcycle shop, and over the noise of the engine I heard a bang like a car running over a crisp packet. When i looked to one side, there was a guy on the pavement being shot dead by a gunman.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    When I was a child I was convinced that the upstairs of our house was haunted. I hadn't seen anything but I do remember feeling like I was being watched, even though I was alone. I hated going to bed and would insist my mum came up with me, even up to the age of about 14. I never told anyone about this and so it came as a surprise when a friend of mine stayed over one night and they asked me if my dad came into my room in the middle of the night. I didn't really know, as I'd been asleep but my dad wasn't the type to ever come in my room. I thought nothing more of it until the next time my friend stayed over and he said that a man came into the room in the middle of the night again, only this time he clearly wasn't my dad because this man had no head.

Before everyone laughs, fast forward to 20 or so years later and I haven't been back to my childhood home in years. My mum calls me and starts to tell me this spooky thing that happened to her the other day in the kitchen. She proceeded to tell me that as she had just finished the dishes, she turned around and standing right in front of her was a man with no head and he began to walk towards her and went straight through her and disappeared. I couldn't actually talk on the phone for about a minute after she told me and I then told her the story of how my childhood friend saw the exact same thing 20 years ago. I then confessed to being scared of going to bed all the time as a child, but I never could put my finger on why. I could just feel a presence all the time. She knew how scared I was but just put it down to me being afraid of the dark.

They still live in the same house and I have to visit over Christmas and I'm scared as hell to go back.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One evening nearly twenty years ago now I was heading after work to buy a set of brake pads at our local large motorcycle shop, and over the noise of the engine I heard a bang like a car running over a crisp packet. When i looked to one side, there was a guy on the pavement being shot dead by a gunman.

That has to have been pretty terrifying. Were you a witness in a court case?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Were you a witness in a court case?

No, never made it to court, only one suspect ever lifted and he wasn't identified at ID parade. Written off now except for the Historical Enquiry team in N.I.....but they've many many others to go before they ever get to it...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, never made it to court, only one suspect ever lifted and he wasn't identified at ID parade. Written off now except for the Historical Enquiry team in N.I.....but they've many many others to go before they ever get to it...

Still it has to have been be a terrible experience for you.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Strangely enough, no. There was far too much to do at the time - looking after the then OH, who was on the back of the bike, getting stopped safely etc......and by then I'd seen too many deaths and disasters and friends lost, it was just a death, it happens.

It was only many years and many bike accidents and mishaps later that I realised I don't go into shock or adrenaline spike very easily...mainly because for many years I had TOO much adrenaline going through my body anyway (clinical dignaosis after a heart scare!) and a little more didn't make much difference!

Means if something happens I can "get stuff done" when others might be curled up in a ball or throwing up :p....like lifting an expensive bike out of the way of oncoming traffic :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Strangely enough, no. There was far too much to do at the time - looking after the then OH, who was on the back of the bike, getting stopped safely etc......and by then I'd seen too many deaths and disasters and friends lost, it was just a death, it happens.

It was only many years and many bike accidents and mishaps later that I realised I don't go into shock or adrenaline spike very easily...mainly because for many years I had TOO much adrenaline going through my body anyway (clinical dignaosis after a heart scare!) and a little more didn't make much difference!

Means if something happens I can "get stuff done" when others might be curled up in a ball or throwing up :p....like lifting an expensive bike out of the way of oncoming traffic :D

A very philosophical approach but it must have had an effect.

When I was 8 I was on a boat my father had converted into, in his words , a cabin cruiser that began to sink of Ardnamuchan point. The water was up to our chests when the Lochaline lifeboat eventually spotted the flares and rescued us. What I did not know at the time was apparently we were making for S Africa:eek:. All we had when we were rescued was the clothes we stood up in. Sounds rather incredible. But true.
  • WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I was about five years old my mother, and a couple of other family members, took me to the circus. After the performance people were allowed to go and look at some of the animals, the horses, elephants, etc. and somewhere along the line I became detached from our group and was "lost". It was pretty crowded with people coming and going and my mother was becoming quite panicky. Eventually I was found in the elephant enclosure, fast asleep in the straw, between the elephants' feet. Apparently the elephants were standing around just touching me gently with their trunks. My mother had hysterics, taking no notice of the keeper telling her that the elephants would never harm me, until I was removed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A very philosophical approach but it must have had an effect.

Not that I nor anyone else has ever noticed ;) Technically-speaking - it was less personlly-impacting (sic) than the car bomb that blew in the wall of a cinema around me years before!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not that I nor anyone else has ever noticed ;) Technically-speaking - it was less personlly-impacting (sic) than the car bomb that blew in the wall of a cinema around me years before!

You lived in a traumatic time in your country and appeared to have absorbed it . I lived with my dad who was possibly bonkers, and absorbed it.:) If its what is normal, then you don't question it much.