Has a Soap ever covered Bullying properly?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Corrie is full of women bullies ...

Liz & Michelle bullying Steve
    Haley bullying Roy
    Grace bullying everybody
    Tina bullying Tracey
    Anna bullying Sally
    Rita bullying Norris
    Eileen bullying Gail
    Sophie bullying the English language

... the list is endless.
  • flbkabflbkab Posts: 8,804
    Forum Member
    I think Brookside and Hollyoaks are the only two soaps to have covered bullying as one of their main storylines.

The other soaps have done much smaller bullying stories (Coronation Street with Faye, Emmerdale with Victoria and Hannah and EastEnders with Ben) but they were all filler stories that were resolved within a couple of weeks.
  • GoingtothebeachGoingtothebeach Posts: 19,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The thing about cyber bullying is that it's a very important issue but it's not great TV. It's someone and a computer screen. :o
  • mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The thing about cyber bullying is that it's a very important issue but it's not great TV. It's someone and a computer screen. :o

Cyber bullying was very well covered in Scottish soap River City
    http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/entertainment/tv-radio/river-city-cast-delighted-bbc-1501525
  • R2Y5A0N2R2Y5A0N2 Posts: 54,679
    Forum Member
    Hollyoaks covered bullying really well with Esther.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The hollyoaks bullying storylines were amazingly acted and very realistic. Everything happened around it before and after was great as well. What would you suggest they do? Kick Ruby out? They both got punished at school. Ruby was very remorseful and to get a sorry from a bully is huge massive step and would make any victim feel a little bit better. From personal expirence

Agreed.
    And when Esther came around, Ruby was the first person she asked for. If Esther can show this forgiving attitude to Ruby, then who are her family to throw her out? Clearly Esther needed Ruby at that time and to throw her out would have been a bad move from the Osbornes.
  • priscillapriscilla Posts: 34,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Esthers bullying, which was covered really well.
    Now HO are currently covering homophobic bullying.
  • sunny daysunny day Posts: 849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lulu g wrote: »
    Although it was very popular, I didn't really enjoy the Hollyoaks bullying storyline. For me, Brookside did it best. Young Ray Quinn was just remarkable and richly deserved his British Soap Award. Really superior stuff.

And was especially good story because he was being bullied by girls....poor little 'Our Anthony ' xx
  • DeschanelDeschanel Posts: 8,738
    Forum Member
    HO: Esther's bullying was one of the best, but it did have a very dodgy aftermath with a poor message.

Neighbours have done bullying stories, but never in the same amount of depth as HO's Esther. I remember Sky being bullied by another school girl, Erin. She once locked Sky in a portaloo and pushed it over so she would get drenched in the toilet contents. Gross.

Lana was the victim of homophobic bullying at school. The kids wrote derogatory comments on the board, threatened to cut her hair off, and refused to get changed with her in the change rooms for PE. Susan wanted to hold a tolerance campaign, but parents backlashed against it.
    hetty100 wrote: »
    I really don't know how anyone is saying Sinead isn't paying for it, she got expelled, shes got no job no money a baby, been involved with gangsters, drugs and prostitution and soon Dianes going to disown her.

She really got away with it didn't she:rolleyes:
    But is all that a direct link to her bullying Esther? She got expelled for bullying Esther, but everything that followed is a direct result of her own stubbornness to ask for help. When she gave birth and gave Diane her baby, she couldn't live in the house so moved in with Ste. Once she got her baby back, she struggled to pay rent, buy baby clothes, and feed her baby, she was too stubborn, stupid and prideful to ask Diane for help, so instead got involved in gangster activity and prostitution. Even if she had not been expelled, she would still have moved out after giving birth and still struggled with money and would have still ended up working for Trevor.
  • mikebukmikebuk Posts: 18,760
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nothing ever gets done in soaps. They may die, but you woule rarely see them expelled. Iwould love to see a bully get really hammered by his/her victim.
  • mikebukmikebuk Posts: 18,760
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anything that happens to Sinead is well deserved and her brother is a dirty scumbag also.
  • bananashakebananashake Posts: 2,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tina McQueen was involved in a workplace bullying plot but it wasn't a major SL I don't think.
  • iMatt_101iMatt_101 Posts: 7,081
    Forum Member
    KatrinaK wrote: »
    I'd love to see a Cyber bullying storyline. It's never been covered on soap before and if done right, it could make for some groundbreaking and gritty TV.

You see it so often, especially with those ridiculous ****-shaming sites on facebook. Twitter is a beast for teens these days.

Bullying is no longer refinged to the playground and its about time this issue is bought to the forfront of fictional drama. It's very much a contemporary and prominent issue and sometimes lead to teen suicide.

EE is the only soap I watch so I'd like to see it played out on this soap, especially with an influx of young characters. It can work. However it also has a place on other soaps, even Waterloo Rd.
    Esther's bullying in HO was cyber bullying. Don't say no soap has ever done it if the only one you watch is EE...
  • hetty100hetty100 Posts: 4,873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deschanel wrote: »
    HO: Esther's bullying was one of the best, but it did have a very dodgy aftermath with a poor message.

Neighbours have done bullying stories, but never in the same amount of depth as HO's Esther. I remember Sky being bullied by another school girl, Erin. She once locked Sky in a portaloo and pushed it over so she would get drenched in the toilet contents. Gross.

Lana was the victim of homophobic bullying at school. The kids wrote derogatory comments on the board, threatened to cut her hair off, and refused to get changed with her in the change rooms for PE. Susan wanted to hold a tolerance campaign, but parents backlashed against it.

But is all that a direct link to her bullying Esther? She got expelled for bullying Esther, but everything that followed is a direct result of her own stubbornness to ask for help. When she gave birth and gave Diane her baby, she couldn't live in the house so moved in with Ste. Once she got her baby back, she struggled to pay rent, buy baby clothes, and feed her baby, she was too stubborn, stupid and prideful to ask Diane for help, so instead got involved in gangster activity and prostitution. Even if she had not been expelled, she would still have moved out after giving birth and still struggled with money and would have still ended up working for Trevor.[/QUOTE]

Patrick expelled her,what else in your mind should have happened to Sinead?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It seems to me that soaps portray bullying as a bad thing if the victim is a teenager but if the victim is an adult it's perfectly acceptable behaviour.

Soaps are full of bullies.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agreed.
    And when Esther came around, Ruby was the first person she asked for. If Esther can show this forgiving attitude to Ruby, then who are her family to throw her out? Clearly Esther needed Ruby at that time and to throw her out would have been a bad move from the Osbornes.

Sorry Goingtothebeach I didn't mean to quote your post in my last post! :o
    Deschanel wrote: »

I wouldn't say that, I was watching my 12 year old sister's reaction to the storyline because she is growing up in to that age now and she is in a year of very bitchy girls and I was quite worried about her, I talked to her about the storyline and she understands how what may seem as fun over the computer can cause a lot of damage and how standing by doing nothing is almost as bad. Almost a year on, she hasn't forgotten what the girls did, she hates Sinead.
  • GoingtothebeachGoingtothebeach Posts: 19,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry Goingtothebeach I didn't mean to quote your post in my last post! :o

:p:p:p

It's fine. :cool:
  • BenllechBenllech Posts: 2,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surprised nobody has mentioned Roy Cropper being bullied by Charlie Stubbs employe back in like 2005.

Was a very good portrayal on both sides.
  • WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    [QUOTE=KatrinaK;69667539]I'd love to see a Cyber bullying storyline. It's never been covered on soap before and if done right, it could make for some groundbreaking and gritty TV.

You see it so often, especially with those ridiculous ****-shaming sites on facebook. Twitter is a beast for teens these days.

Bullying is no longer refinged to the playground and its about time this issue is bought to the forfront of fictional drama. It's very much a contemporary and prominent issue and sometimes lead to teen suicide.

EE is the only soap I watch so I'd like to see it played out on this soap, especially with an influx of young characters. It can work. However it also has a place on other soaps, even Waterloo Rd.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't. I'm sick to death of hearing about it. :o
  • KatrinaKKatrinaK Posts: 32,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iMatt_101 wrote: »
    Esther's bullying in HO was cyber bullying. Don't say no soap has ever done it if the only one you watch is EE...

Woah.....

I'm only posting by what I'm aware of. I'm well aware of Esthers bullying storyline and how it was held in high regard by its fans. However no one mentioned cyberbulling until this thread. I've also mentioned the need for a cyberbulling storyline for a year now and no one told me that HO had already covered it.

As they have, well done to them and for the postive reaction its recieved.

I also agree with what someone else said. Bullying isn't just refined to teenagers. Bullying within the workplace happenes - though I suppose it wouldn't be very interesting from an entertaining point of view. Then there is of course bullying between two partners (husband and wife?).
  • iMatt_101iMatt_101 Posts: 7,081
    Forum Member
    KatrinaK wrote: »
    Woah.....

I'm only posting by what I'm aware of. I'm well aware of Esthers bullying storyline and how it was held in high regard by its fans. However no one mentioned cyberbulling until this thread. I've also mentioned the need for a cyberbulling storyline for a year now and no one told me that HO had already covered it.

As they have, well done to them and for the postive reaction its recieved.

I also agree with what someone else said. Bullying isn't just refined to teenagers. Bullying within the workplace happenes - though I suppose it wouldn't be very interesting from an entertaining point of view. Then there is of course bullying between two partners (husband and wife?).
    I wasn't having a go, I was just saying don't comment on something if you don't know. You could have said 'I don't know if a soap has done cyber bullying' but you said no soap has ever done it. Once again, I'm not having a go at you but I was just pointing out that a soap has done it.
  • Steph_CuckowSteph_Cuckow Posts: 539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mikebuk wrote: »
    Nothing ever gets done in soaps. They may die, but you woule rarely see them expelled. Iwould love to see a bully get really hammered by his/her victim.

And what would be gained from that? You de be as bad as them lowering to their level.
  • Seamus2008Seamus2008 Posts: 3,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't they touch upon cyber bullying in Neighbours with Priya Kapoor following the reveal of her affair with Paul Robinson?
  • trevon1trevon1 Posts: 6,530
    Forum Member
    MissLola wrote: »
    It seems to me that soaps portray bullying as a bad thing if the victim is a teenager but if the victim is an adult it's perfectly acceptable behaviour.

Soaps are full of bullies.

Yeah, on Corrie it seems they think it is acceptable if the victim is Steve, but I'm getting tired of how he is treated. I hope the JP homophobic bullying storyline is done well. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

In American football right now there has been big news about one teammate severely bullying another to the point of racial taunts and threats of violence so it is true anyone can be bullied and certainly a worthy storyline to be covered.
  • David the WavidDavid the Wavid Posts: 2,319
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Benllech wrote: »
    Surprised nobody has mentioned Roy Cropper being bullied by Charlie Stubbs employe back in like 2005.

Was a very good portrayal on both sides.

See post #22 :).