Options

Plantar Fasciitis - Foot pain

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,591
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Has anyone else had this?

I'm looking for good brands of insoles to help with the pain and also where I can buy shoes that don't look completely hids.

Has anyone had it and then it goes away?

I really don't fancy living with this for the rest of my life as it's difficult to walk or stand for long periods.

Thank you!!!!!!!

Comments

• Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Go to the chemist and ask them, I bought some insoles years ago when I had it (they were about £20 and I spoke to the chemist who helped me)

I find Clarkes very good for comfort and you get some pretty nice shoes / boots these days. Obviously the insoles can go into any footwear though.

Have you tried Goggling for suggestions on pain relief / exercises that might help?

http://www.patient.co.uk/health/plantar-fasciitis-leaflet

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/heel-pain/Pages/Introduction.aspx
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Go to the chemist and ask them, I bought some insoles years ago when I had it (they were about £20 and I spoke to the chemist who helped me)

I find Clarkes very good for comfort and you get some pretty nice shoes / boots these days. Obviously the insoles can go into any footwear though.

Have you tried Goggling for suggestions on pain relief / exercises that might help?

http://www.patient.co.uk/health/plantar-fasciitis-leaflet

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/heel-pain/Pages/Introduction.aspx

Thank you - yes I have read all about it and I have lots of little exercises to do etc. I'll check out Clarks, and apparently M and S footglove shoes are also good.

It's a shame as I hate wearing shoes and am more of a barefoot hippy!

I'll head down to the chemist for some insoles. Thanks so much for your help :)
  • Options
    Fibromite59Fibromite59 Posts: 22,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have had this twice and it is very painful as you will know. The first time it lasted about a month and the second time just a few days. I managed it with stong painkillers and not doing much walking.

Because of other foot problems I have to wear shoes that are built up in the middle of the sole, and so can never wear really nice smart shoes. However, I am having a joint replacement done in my toe in a few months time so hopefully it will help with the pain.

I hope you soon get over this. :)
  • Options
    Waj_100Waj_100 Posts: 3,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have had this problem from time to time, the last time being very painful when trying to get down stairs first thing in the morning.

My doctor advised me to do calf stretching exercises, which did a lot of good, but mostly he said it will just disappear one day by itself....he was correct, I got up one morning and had no pain at all.
  • Options
    JulzeiJulzei Posts: 4,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My feet get very achy if I'm standing or walking for more than an hour at a time. I've been wondering if I have this. It's not a specific area of my foot its more all over. I recently went to London and had to keep sitting down a lot, eventually I got some shoe cushions from boots which helped a bit.
  • Options
    smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    When I got it about 5 years ago it was excruciatingly painful and about 3 months before I could walk properly again. I used one of these http://www.return2fitness.co.uk/supports-braces/ankle-supports/achilles-plantar-fasciitis-supports/plantar-fasciitis-night-splint at night for about 6 months and still keep it handy in case I get any twinges. It essentially keeps the foot at an angle so it helps the healing.
  • Options
    damianswifedamianswife Posts: 1,205
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Waj_100 wrote: »
    I have had this problem from time to time, the last time being very painful when trying to get down stairs first thing in the morning.

My doctor advised me to do calf stretching exercises, which did a lot of good, but mostly he said it will just disappear one day by itself....he was correct, I got up one morning and had no pain at all.

Gawd, my feet are awful ( ex nurse so thats my excuse). I have had PF on several occasions and can recommend the stretching exercises. Even just pointing your toes and then moving your toes towards your knees when sitting down of an evening can help.
  • Options
    spotty_catspotty_cat Posts: 557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have also had this and boy it's painful so I sympathise with anyone who has it. Mine comes and goes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks all - I have some gel heel things in today and it's definitely relieved a bit of the discomfort.

You take everything for granted until it doesn't work properly!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Julzei wrote: »
    My feet get very achy if I'm standing or walking for more than an hour at a time. I've been wondering if I have this. It's not a specific area of my foot its more all over. I recently went to London and had to keep sitting down a lot, eventually I got some shoe cushions from boots which helped a bit.

I think that PF is only in one area where it is an extream pain when you put pressure on that spot. Apparently, the layman's term for it is "policeman's foot" due to the fact that policemen used to get it though walking the streets so much.

I wouldn't think that having pain all over the foot is PF bur more just aching feet from walking a lot or even through arthritis.
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    red tulips wrote: »
    Has anyone else had this?
    Yes, probably. I was a bit of an atypical case but I had most of the symptoms.
    I'm looking for good brands of insoles to help with the pain and also where I can buy shoes that don't look completely hids.
    Custom made is best, but expensive.
    Has anyone had it and then it goes away?
    Eventually, yes. What finally got rid of it for me was calf stretches.

At one point (aged 40) I was considering buying a Stenna stair lift. Now at age 47 I think nothing of playing a round of golf on foot (four hours) and every day walk for at least an hour at 4mph.
  • Options
    MigsterMigster Posts: 4,204
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got these insoles http://www.drfoot.co.uk/acatalog/Dr_Foot_Pro_Insoles__pair_.html
    I noticed a difference with these straight away and over time the pain went away completely. I still wear them in my shoes, but haven't had any pain for the last about 4 years.
  • Options
    LakieLadyLakieLady Posts: 19,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks all - I have some gel heel things in today and it's definitely relieved a bit of the discomfort.

You take everything for granted until it doesn't work properly!

Gel heel inserts sorted it for me. I find it comes back if I do a lot of pavement walking in hard soled shoes though.
  • Options
    urbancoyoteurbancoyote Posts: 208
    Forum Member
    I had this for 14 months. Wasn't excruciating or anything but I could feel it every time I walked anywhere. I had to give up sport for that time though. I just ensured I wore shoes with spongy soles.Just went away one day. Bizarre.
  • Options
    HystericGlamourHystericGlamour Posts: 371
    Forum Member

Why not try a pair of Orthaheel sandals? Next best thing to being barefoot.
  • Options
    AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've had it before, very painful.
    It went away after I lost a bit of weight.
  • Options
    19Nick6819Nick68 Posts: 1,792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Had it years ago when I was running a lot, finally cured with a steroid injection into my heel. Big needle, not the nicest experience.

I would try everything else before that option, if they still do that?
  • Options
    SoomacdooSoomacdoo Posts: 6,645
    Forum Member
    Go and try a pair of Fitflops and see if they are any good for you.

I tried on a pair a couple of weeks ago and they were really comfy but a bit pricey so I asked on a couple of forums whether peeps thought they were worth the money. The answers that came back were yes, and a lot of peeps said they were very good for ailments such as bad backs, aching joints and Plantar Faciitus (which I had never heard of at the time, I don't have PF btw).

Anyway, I bought a pair of hot pink ones (they don't look hids) and they have fab cushioned soles and are sooo comfy. They are worth a look if nothing else.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    19Nick68 wrote: »
    Had it years ago when I was running a lot, finally cured with a steroid injection into my heel. Big needle, not the nicest experience.

I would try everything else before that option, if they still do that?

I imagine that they would still do a steroid injection if the pain was very bad and went on for a long time. They still do steriod injections into joints as I have had them within the last year in my toe joints and my elbows. It is worth bearing the pain of them for a minute or so to have the relief that they give.
  • Options
    bspacebspace Posts: 14,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I found that new balance training shoes provided the best support for me and incidentally are available in wide fitting, like these
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00KGO3EGC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    supplemented with a heal insert from Boots (Boots own make)

for sandals I found Teva give good support like these
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003TU14TO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

One other thing which helped me, I found walking in the sea on a sandy beach helped. Maybe it exercises the muscles in a way similar to the exercises you can do. Walking the length of Porthmeor beach in St Ives is certainly a pleasant way of exercising :)
  • Options
    CaptainObvious_CaptainObvious_ Posts: 3,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Insoles with arch support
    Heel lifts (put in both shoes to prevent a leg length discrepancy)
    cold can of coke under arch and roll foot back and forward
    Exercises, exercises, exercises
    Try contrasting footbaths hot, then cold then back to hot

Don't worry, as others have mentioned- it is self limiting ie. will resolve itself
  • Options
    JulzeiJulzei Posts: 4,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think that PF is only in one area where it is an extream pain when you put pressure on that spot. Apparently, the layman's term for it is "policeman's foot" due to the fact that policemen used to get it though walking the streets so much.

I wouldn't think that having pain all over the foot is PF bur more just aching feet from walking a lot or even through arthritis.

I wouldn't describe my achiness as extreme pain so probably not. I just can't seem to walk or stand more than an hour without them aching and if I do a lot of walking I have to keep sitting down as I feel them going shaky and numb. I don't think this is normal.

I really doubt it's arthritis as I'm only 24. I sometimes get back pain but never really at the same time as foot aches and it is relieved when I sit down. I've considered fibromyalgia but don't really think I'm in enough pain to warrant that diagnosis.

I'm trying to lose weight so hopefully that will help.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Julzei wrote: »
    I wouldn't describe my achiness as extreme pain so probably not. I just can't seem to walk or stand more than an hour without them aching and if I do a lot of walking I have to keep sitting down as I feel them going shaky and numb. I don't think this is normal.

I really doubt it's arthritis as I'm only 24. I sometimes get back pain but never really at the same time as foot aches and it is relieved when I sit down. I've considered fibromyalgia but don't really think I'm in enough pain to warrant that diagnosis.

I'm trying to lose weight so hopefully that will help.

You can get arthritis at any age. I have had it since I was about ten years old. Loosing weight may help, but it's not guaranteed. Arthritis often attacks the feet and fingers first. Are your feet ever swollen or hot? as that could be a sign of rheumatoid arthritis. If it's swollen and hot in just one joint, then it could be gout. There are many things that could be causing it. Numbness could be something like M.S. or poor blood supply. Also I believe that Diabetes can cause foot troubles.

Fibromyalgia is a very painful and debilitating disease and you would get more symptoms than just pain if you had that. You would have other problems such as fatigue, trouble remembering things, possible eye problems and stomach problems. I wouldn't wish any of these problems on anyone.

The best thing you could do is to visit your doctor and possibly ask to be referred to a podiatrist.
  • Options
    Sally7Sally7 Posts: 1,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you - yes I have read all about it and I have lots of little exercises to do etc. I'll check out Clarks, and apparently M and S footglove shoes are also good.

I'll head down to the chemist for some insoles. Thanks so much for your help :)

This may have been at the root of your problem as unsupported arches can place a strain on the tendon.

I do sympathise as I have had it.....brought on by foolishly walking some distance into town one day in flip flops when it was hot. It's incredibly sore! But I found it healed itself naturally because I rested up as much as possible for a couple of days and have taken care to not repeat the same scenario that led to the symptoms.
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One thing to be wary of with respect to heel cushions is that a contributory factor to PF (could have been THE factor for me) is a tight achilles. The theory is that in the final part of your stride when your foot is behind you your knee is trying to move over the top of your toes. If your achilles tendon is too tight it will prevent your ankle hinging completely and instead your foot tries to bend. This increases the stress on your PF. It's already under a lot of tension and in some people that can be the final straw.

By lifting your heel you are encouraging/allowing your tendon to shorten.

http://www.drpribut.com/sports/heelhtm.htm

"a tight achilles tendon and calf muscles causes the rearfoot to move in a manner that causes over pronation as your leg and body move forward over your foot"