King Richard III: The New Evidence

nethwennethwen Posts: 23,374
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Anybody watching? :)

It's on Channel 4 now.

Also on More 4 at 10pm there is another documentary: 'Richard III: The Unseen Story'. I can't remember if this one has been on before. :confused:

I've seen two documentaries so far but I have forgotten what they were called. Probably because one of them was especially awful and forgettable.

Comments

• Hyram FyramHyram Fyram Posts: 3,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a trivial thing but the full stop they keep putting after 'Dr' is really irritating me. What do they think comes after the 'r'?? It's not 'Dr.' it's 'Dr'!!
  • nethwennethwen Posts: 23,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a trivial thing but the full stop they keep putting after 'Dr' is really irritating me. What do they think comes after the 'r'?? It's not 'Dr.' it's 'Dr'!!

Our beautiful language is going to pot. :cry:

Have to say, this documentary is a bit of an improvement from the others that have gone before - so far. :p
  • Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had hoped that loopy women would be in this one. I guess this is a serious doc.....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had hoped that loopy women would be in this one. I guess this is a serious doc.....

I think she was on for a flash at the beginning of the programme.

Prepare yourself. :D
  • Hyram FyramHyram Fyram Posts: 3,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nethwen wrote: »
    Our beautiful language is going to pot. :cry:

Have to say, this documentary is a bit of an improvement from the others that have gone before - so far. :p

Yes, it's interesting so far!
  • The FBIThe FBI Posts: 2,205
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One thing that they are not taking into account is that this Dominic guy has not grown up with conditioning to exercise and would have adapted his ability with breathing and stamina
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The FBI wrote: »
    One thing that they are not taking into account is that this Dominic guy has not grown up with conditioning to exercise and would have adapted his ability with breathing and stamina

Just what I was thinking too.
  • curmycurmy Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm finding this really interesting . That Dominic bloke is brave having his back filmed for the TV . It can't be easy living with that scoliosis :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like most of this documentary is about getting Dominic's armour made. :

Get on with it! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Beautiful horse. :)
  • allaboardallaboard Posts: 1,940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is really interesting. I love the science side of this story.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are missing out a lot of detail regarding the Battle of Bosworth.

For them to say he was a drinker in between doesn't do it for me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Next documentary on More 4 now chaps. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wish they'd stop keep calling him 'notorious' grrr.
  • starrystarry Posts: 12,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wouldn't Richard have had armour made specifically for him? Even if they said he would have kept his curved spine a secret.

I'm surprised no English medieval armour has survived, did they melt it all down for other things? Some must have survived somewhere, maybe they just meant a full suit of armour.

An earlier Planagenet King John died because of his gluttony if I remember right.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still can't get over that young lady putting a hole in King Richard's skull during the excavation.
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    I still can't get over that young lady putting a hole in King Richard's skull during the excavation.

She was totally amateurish.

Anyway, re. the documentary, and the stuff about the scoliosis and armour was interesting. The rest was utter drivel. Calling him 'dissolute' for drinking red wine throughout the day and eating high status food was the height of absurdity.

For anyone who didn't see it the basic conclusion was 'Richard III lost the battle of Bosworth not because he was a hunchkback but because he was a drunk'. It was shoddy stuff, even by Ch4's standards.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She was totally amateurish.

Anyway, re. the documentary, and the stuff about the scoliosis and armour was interesting. The rest was utter drivel. Calling him 'dissolute' for drinking red wine throughout the day and eating high status food was the height of absurdity.

For anyone who didn't see it the basic conclusion was 'Richard III lost the battle of Bosworth not because he was a hunchkback but because he was a drunk'. It was shoddy stuff, even by Ch4's standards.

I know Kapell. I don't think they will ever get it right about our much maligned and misrepresented King. :(

And then they keep bringing Shakespeare into it again. <rollyeyes>

Is this second documentary on More 4 a repeat, do you know? Or is it an update? I can't seem to work it out atm.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I know & she's an archaeologist ! I can only assume that as his head was much higher than the rest of his body, she didn't expect to hit anything at that level, still considering how careful she'd been up until then, it was pretty careless !
    Forum Member
    curmy wrote: »
    I know & she's an archaeologist ! I can only assume that as his head was much higher than the rest of his body, she didn't expect to hit anything at that level, still considering how careful she'd been up until then, it was pretty careless !

As soon as the first bones were discovered she should've started using a trowel, not attacked the site with a mattock.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    starry wrote: »
    Wouldn't Richard have had armour made specifically for him? Even if they said he would have kept his curved spine a secret.

I'm surprised no English medieval armour has survived, did they melt it all down for other things? Some must have survived somewhere, maybe they just meant a full suit of armour.

An earlier Planagenet King John died because of his gluttony if I remember right.

I think Richard 111's armour was specifically made for him.
    Forum Member
    I know Kapell. I don't think they will ever get it right about our much maligned and misrepresented King. :(

And then they keep bringing Shakespeare into it again. <rollyeyes>

Is this second documentary on More 4 a repeat, do you know? Or is it an update? I can't seem to work it out atm.

I assumed it was a repeat so didn't watch it!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I thought it was because a) he fell off his horse & b) because he wasn't as fit as he had been before he was made king.
  • CressidaCressida Posts: 3,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Richard would have trained from the age of seven and would have had 25 years of experience by the time he rode into battle although it was interesting to see how well Dominic responded to everything he was asked to do.

I’m still having difficulty believing it was a few years of drinking which finished off Richard when his portraits don’t show the slightest signs of him being overweight or flabby and nor did his reconstructed head .. which I’ve seen in flesh so to speak.
  • rioniarionia Posts: 1,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cressida wrote: »
    Richard would have trained from the age of seven and would have had 25 years of experience by the time he rode into battle although it was interesting to see how well Dominic responded to everything he was asked to do.

I’m still having difficulty believing it was a few years of drinking which finished off Richard when his portraits don’t show the slightest signs of him being overweight or flabby and nor did his reconstructed head .. which I’ve seen in flesh so to speak.

wasn't the flesh on the head reconstructed to a standard thickness for a European male, so although it would be an accurate likeness, it wouldn't necessarily give an indication of how fat or thin the face was at the time of death?.