EE PAYG package - what happens to free sms.......

Casper_HendersoCasper_Henderso Posts: 12
Forum Member
..... after you have used up all of your internet data......

I have just changed my mobile phone package, I wanted to try and see how good the internet was (speed, clarity, usage) before I committed to a bigger package ie DD package
As I wanted to wait till nearer Easter to change (if I do) I wanted to know what happens to my free sms/calls (Its a £10 PAYG package - for 30days) if I use up ALL of my internet date (500mbs) within this time? ie does the phone just "crash" and you cannot use it at all or does it just not give me sms usage?
As I have communication issues I feel that I did not receive enough information about this when I was in the shop so any new help would be appreciated, also how do I find out how much date I have left?

Many thanks for any help

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,345
    Forum Member
    The other parts of the £10 bundle continue to work for the full month, if you have any normal Vodafone credit then it will start to be used for any additional data above the 500MB £10 bundle allowance. If you don't have any PAYG credit, they'll probably redirect your browser to their website where they'll display a page that allows you to send them some more money.

The included minutes and texts in the bundle are independent of the 500MB of data, each part of the bundle continues to work until you have used that part up, or until the 30 day expiry when it all stops working.
  • d123d123 Posts: 8,590
    Forum Member
    PrinceGaz wrote: »
    The other parts of the £10 bundle continue to work for the full month, if you have any normal Vodafone credit then it will start to be used for any additional data above the 500MB £10 bundle allowance. If you don't have any PAYG credit, they'll probably redirect your browser to their website where they'll display a page that allows you to send them some more money.

The included minutes and texts in the bundle are independent of the 500MB of data, each part of the bundle continues to work until you have used that part up, or until the 30 day expiry when it all stops working.

As the OP is on EE the Vodafone advice is slightly wrong ;).

Once you've used up the 500MB you won't be able to use the Internet with mobile data, only via wifi. EE only have set allowances so it won't use any additional credit.

Calls and SMS will continue to work until also exhausted or the end of the 30 days if unlimited.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,345
    Forum Member
    d123 wrote: »

Once you've used up the 500MB you won't be able to use the Internet with mobile data, only via wifi. EE only have set allowances so it won't use any additional credit.

Calls and SMS will continue to work until also exhausted or the end of the 30 days if unlimited.

I'm not sure where I got the Vodafone bit from; probably still thinking about some previous thread. EE and Vodafone do have very similar £10 bundles though :)

If you have unused credit on the phone (after buying the £10 bundle) whether it is with EE or Vodafone, won't it start using that once you've used up the amount in the bundle? The bundle temporarily providing a certain amount of minutes, texts and data for free for up to 30 days, after which any additional usage of those things is charged normally. I'm not with EE, but it would be odd to be forced to buy a monthly allowance to use PAYG as that goes against the whole idea of PAYG.
  • Stereo SteveStereo Steve Posts: 1,573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EE don't really like PAYG and fair enough. They don't have to. This insistence on bundles means you might as well have a contract really. Plus they withhold things like wifi calling to punish you for being scum. If 3 get 800 out properly and stick with 321 I think most PAYG will go there. What that means in terms of revenue and their ability to re-invest is another matter.
  • rasseru16rasseru16 Posts: 752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    EE don't really like PAYG and fair enough. They don't have to. This insistence on bundles means you might as well have a contract really. Plus they withhold things like wifi calling to punish you for being scum. If 3 get 800 out properly and stick with 321 I think most PAYG will go there. What that means in terms of revenue and their ability to re-invest is another matter.

Hmm I'm not so sure... PAYG customers get a free boost every 3 months for their 'loyalty' same price as what your original bundle is.
  • d123d123 Posts: 8,590
    Forum Member
    PrinceGaz wrote: »
    EE and Vodafone do have very similar £10 bundles though :)

If you have unused credit on the phone (after buying the £10 bundle) whether it is with EE or Vodafone, won't it start using that once you've used up the amount in the bundle?

No, on EE if you don't have a bundle you don't get data, once a data add on is used up that's it, it doesn't start to eat up your credit.
  • david16david16 Posts: 14,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rasseru16 wrote: »
    Hmm I'm not so sure... PAYG customers get a free boost every 3 months for their 'loyalty' same price as what your original bundle is.

I doubt that the loyalty free boosts will last much longer after the EE shop fronts display BT mobile instead of EE.

A whole year of monthly top ups you have to wait until you get to the dizzy heights of receiving 3GB of data the way things are currently now with EE.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I got one of these free Christmas sims and they pester you to top up another 10 pounds before the next month begins. Needless to say I have not and my top up credit balance is zero.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    d123 wrote: »

Trying to get a pitiful 500MB of data to last for a full 30 days is impossible. You run out of data after 3 days max.

Three could easily offer 1GB of data on their All In One 10 PAYG package instead of 500MB. That must be the most disappointing PAYG add-on on offer.