Which Network??

13»

Comments

• hybridtheoryhybridtheory Posts: 850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi

This question is to the EE fan boys whohave posted in this thread. Do u have any worries or concerns regarding the BT/EE merger?

Thanks

Baz
  • d123d123 Posts: 8,591
    Forum Member
    If you have a very weak EE signal you simply put your (i)phone in airplane mode and use wifi calling that way to save hammering your battery constantly looking for a better 2G/3G signal.

That's wrong, if you register to a wifi network with EE WifiCalling the phone doesn't constantly look for a cellular signal, it will remain connected to WifiCalling until the wifi network is disconnected by either moving out range of the wifi network or the wifi being turned off. There is no effect on battery by using WifiCalling and having the phone in cellular mode.

It's Vodafone that has bizarrely set their system to only use WifiCalling as a last resort, with EE it is the priority connection.
  • clewsyclewsy Posts: 4,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doesn't a mobile phone always search for a signal as part of its process of allowing the nearest mast to know where it is? Otherwise it wouldn't be able to hand over the call seamlessly if the wifi connection dropped.

Also someone mentioned about the MVNOs and lacking the latest features. Got me thinking. Is it possible for a MVNO to have a wifo calling app? Surly this would be difficult as they don't actually own the airspace and kit that I suspect makes all this possible?

Of course cynically isn't wifi calling just an excuse for networks not to invest in improving their masts and a smart way of reducing load from their network ...even though your paying for this bandwidth in theory in your contract.
  • tycho-magtycho-mag Posts: 8,642
    Forum Member
    clewsy wrote: »
    Of course cynically isn't wifi calling just an excuse for networks not to invest in improving their masts and a smart way of reducing load from their network ...even though your paying for this bandwidth in theory in your contract.

Cynically you can say that, but with new building regulations putting silver foil into walls (new build homes and offices) it is getting to the point where in building coverage may never be as it was in the 1990s with 2G.

WiFi calling solves this, which is why the 3 biggest networks in the USA now all have native WiFi calling available. Only Sprint hasn't launched yet I believe (they're a bit like O2 here).
    Forum Member
    Doesn't a mobile phone always search for a signal as part of its process of allowing the nearest mast to know where it is? Otherwise it wouldn't be able to hand over the call seamlessly if the wifi connection dropped.

The phone sees the wifi network as another mast, so it will still be "talking" to the network to maintain connection, just like it would be if it was connected to a normal mast, but the wifi network has priority while connected so the phone isn't constantly searching in the way you mean (as if it didn't have a signal) and there is no detrimental effect on the battery by being connected to the wifi network.
    Also someone mentioned about the MVNOs and lacking the latest features. Got me thinking. Is it possible for a MVNO to have a wifo calling app? Surly this would be difficult as they don't actually own the airspace and kit that I suspect makes all this possible?

What kit? Wifi calling can be done using a voip app, just like Whatsapp does, or how Three inTouch or o2 TuGo works, unfortunately being apps they aren't very reliable and do suffer from the problems you mention, like poor sound quality, the phone searching for a cellular signal, impact on battery life, the app freezing or crashing etc.

The data has got nothing to do with your contract, it's carried by wifi, so over your own wifi network or any other wifi network you have access to. Most people have no issue with a few MB for WifiCalling.

It does help the network, but probably not as much as the customer who now has an extremely high quality calling network in an area of no or poor network signal. I doubt the networks will ever be building masts to ensure you might have good coverage in an underground bunker, a simple wifi network can do exactly that.
  • psychopomp1psychopomp1 Posts: 153
    Forum Member
    Hi

Which service or App do u use?

Thanks

Baz

I'm not going to post the name of my VPN provider on a public forum cos no doubt a jobsworth from EE will be reading this. However i can assure you pretty much every VPN service which offers a UK ip address will fool EE into thinking you're in the UK when clearly you're not. I suggest you use L2TP/IPsec rather than OpenVPN or the VPN's company's app to setup the connection on your smartphone.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=VPN+provider
    Forum Member
    d123 wrote: »
    That's wrong, if you register to a wifi network with EE WifiCalling the phone doesn't constantly look for a cellular signal, it will remain connected to WifiCalling until the wifi network is disconnected by either moving out range of the wifi network or the wifi being turned off. There is no effect on battery by using WifiCalling and having the phone in cellular mode.

It's Vodafone that has bizarrely set their system to only use WifiCalling as a last resort, with EE it is the priority connection.

Thanks for the explanation. Another reason not to ever return to Vodafone!
  • hybridtheoryhybridtheory Posts: 850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not going to post the name of my VPN provider on a public forum cos no doubt a jobsworth from EE will be reading this. However i can assure you pretty much every VPN service which offers a UK ip address will fool EE into thinking you're in the UK when clearly you're not. I suggest you use L2TP/IPsec rather than OpenVPN or the VPN's company's app to setup the connection on your smartphone.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=VPN+provider

Hi

Thanks for that, I'll certainly look into that. R they good for using US Netflix in the UK?

Baz
    Forum Member
    Hi

Thanks for that, I'll certainly look into that. R they good for using US Netflix in the UK?

Baz

Yep, you can use the same VPN service to watch US netflix content in UK, provided they offer you a US IP address which 99.999% do. However when choosing a VPN service make sure they allow you to use the service on at least 2-3 devices simultaneously. Good review site here:
    www.bestvpn.com
  • DevonBlokeDevonBloke Posts: 6,835
    Forum Member

I tell you what I do find odd though.
    While you are correct, WC doesn't hit the battery any more than having a strong cellular signal, the phone will still connect and disconnect from cellular while on WC.
    On my desk sometimes there is cellular, sometime not, it's proper borderline.
    So I stick the phone on the desk with full WiFi calling and then after a bit a 1 or 2 bar 2G signal might appear. Then it'll go again and so on.

My point is clearly the phone is searching for cellular while on WC but for some reason it doesn't kill the battery like having no service at all does.
    How the hell do they do that?

My guess is it only looks very occasionally or when the WiFi signal is fluctuating a bit.

However as we have both said, even with a cellular signal dropping in and out the battery still lasts just like it would if you had the strongest possible cellular signal.
    Forum Member
    If you have a very weak EE signal you simply put your (i)phone in airplane mode and use wifi calling that way to save hammering your battery constantly looking for a better 2G/3G signal. Having said that, wifcalling is far from perfect on EE at the moment:

1) Calls between EE wificalling & EE wificalling don't work most of the time....at least that's what me & my OH have noticed on our pair of iphones 6 's

2) EE Visual voicemail doesn't work on EE wificalling when in airplane mode

3) Calls cannot be transferred seamlessly between wificalling & 2G/3G....however they can between VoLTE & wificalling

On the plus side I can use EE wificalling abroad free of charge simply by using a VPN which gives me a UK ip address :)

As has been said, having no or very weak cellular should not hammer the battery while on WiFi calling.
    I have no or weak cellular indoors most of the time and the battery will go nearly 2 days with little use sometimes while on WC.
    This is with an iPhone 6.

1. Your issues must be local, router or handset related. I have 3 customers and my ex on WiFi calling and the calls always instantly connect (before you can get the phone to your ear) and the call quality is amazing.

2. This is by design. I've found VV to be a bit of a pain precisely because I have little cellular signal indoors. Visual Voicemail basically needs cellular to authenticate.
    It all works fine for me out and about but not at home. I don't get so many VMs anymore so I deactivated it. It's possible they'll find a why to get it to authenticate over WC at some point.

3. This is also by design. Basically hand-over between WC and 2G/3G would be extremely difficult if not impossible since the ability would have to be built into handsets and I'm pretty sure it isn't.
    This problem should go away once we have UK wide VoLTE and some 800 rolled out.
    Forum Member
    DevonBloke wrote: »
    I
    On my desk sometimes there is cellular, sometime not, it's proper borderline.
    So I stick the phone on the desk with full WiFi calling and then after a bit a 1 or 2 bar 2G signal might appear. Then it'll go again and so on.

That is strange, I've never seen that happen since starting to use WC, iPhone 5s, 6 and 6s. My phone sits in a holder on my desk and I use it as a clock and music streamer most days, maybe because it's continuously using wifi it doesn't do as yours does?

Where's the shoulder shrugging emoticon when you need it? :D

1. Your issues must be local, router or handset related. I have 3 customers and my ex on WiFi calling and the calls always instantly connect (before you can get the phone to your ear) and the call quality is amazing.

I've had that issue, go to phone someone and then decide to rather send a text, unfortunately it's already ringing within a second of touching the call icon.
    Forum Member
    That is strange, I've never seen that happen since starting to use WC

What? I can't be the only one!! :)
    Besides my ex's does the same and she has a reasonable 3G signal in Ivybridge.
    Invariably hers will be showing 3 bars cellular and EE WiFiCall as well. WC always overrides cellular though.

Just now I had only EE WiFiCall, 2G has just kicked in though and I got a screenshot https://www.dropbox.com/s/jey7qkta0nn7gxc/WiFi_calling_and_cellular.PNG?dl=0

It's gone again now. It'll do that all day. No hit on the battery though.

Are we taking at cross purposes though. You do get WC and cellular at some point don't you?
  • Stereo SteveStereo Steve Posts: 1,573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi

This question is to the EE fan boys whohave posted in this thread. Do u have any worries or concerns regarding the BT/EE merger?

Thanks

Baz

I'm not aligned to any network. My post was simply stating the way I see it for most people in the UK today. I have a dual sim phone with VOD for voice on my main number and 3 for data on 321. VO2 are superior for voice around here, at the moment at least but are worse than useless for data so with one sim you have to compromise. EE have simply pumped more money into their network over the last years and their one disadvantage, not having a low frequency to compete with 900 is soon going to go away. So, given how far behind VO2 are on rollout and 800 probably seriously boosting EE in building / rural coverage, I see no real contest for the 'best network' tag for most people for a couple years. There will, of course be areas where EE are poor.

To answer the question, the BT thing is a concern given their track record. They will most likely buy the best network at that moment in time and within 10 years it will be in a firm third or fourth place. Doesn't bother me, I'll go with who serves my needs best for the least money.

Vodafone have a good chance of catching up but it will take time. Planning, backhaul etc. All seriously under-invested for years. But where they are doing things, it seems they are doing them correctly. How far and how deep they will go is my question. Is their epic rollout going to end where their 3G failure did? I don't see how it can but I want to see some rural areas lighting up before I have any faith in them.
  • sillssills Posts: 233
    Forum Member
  • MinardiMinardi Posts: 503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To answer the question, the BT thing is a concern given their track record. They will most likely buy the best network at that moment in time and within 10 years it will be in a firm third or fourth place. Doesn't bother me, I'll go with who serves my needs best for the least money.

Vodafone have a good chance of catching up but it will take time. Planning, backhaul etc. All seriously under-invested for years. But where they are doing things, it seems they are doing them correctly. How far and how deep they will go is my question. Is their epic rollout going to end where their 3G failure did? I don't see how it can but I want to see some rural areas lighting up before I have any faith in them.

I was going to post a reply, but this basically covers it.
    Forum Member

Are we taking at cross purposes though. You do get WC and cellular at some point don't you?

Sorry, I think we are, the status bar still shows a cellular signal, yes, what I'm meaning is that it just doesn't lose WC at any stage. Once I connect to the WC signal it will remain on WC until I leave the area or switch it off.
    Forum Member
    sills wrote: »

That's what I thought.
    That's how it's supposed to work but how do they do that and not drain the battery with a weak cellular signal then?
    Clever stuff.
    Forum Member
    Sorry, I think we are, the status bar still shows a cellular signal, yes, what I'm meaning is that it just doesn't lose WC at any stage. Once I connect to the WC signal it will remain on WC until I leave the area or switch it off.

Ah, right, yes, sorry. So does mine.
    So what I'm saying is, if the phone is still searching for cellular while on WC, why doesn't the battery drain like it did when there was no WC??
    How is that happening?
  • beans0ntoastbeans0ntoast Posts: 1,236
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd suggest trying out EE - for me they are the best network in my area (certainly for 3G). They are also very good for 3G when out and about, travelling.
    Occasionally you might be in a bit of a weak signal area, but force your phone to 3g mode and it'll still work for me. (My main priority is a good data connection.)
    Also, EE have the advantage of the older Orange masts - which Three cannot use until they are MBNL integrated.

With regards to O2 and Vodafone? Use them only if you spend most of your time in a large town or city. Anywhere else, they're usually 2G only. As an example, Vodafone has no (3G) coverage whatsoever between Stanwick and Peterborough. EE/MBNL are fine along that area.

Another example that I read on here - being on Vodafone in Totnes and being stuck on EDGE (2G). I thought Totnes was quite a densely populated area? As a comparison, EE seem to have some (albeit weak) 4G in that area and plenty of 3G.

Having said all of this, things could definitely change. If the 3/O2 merger goes through, then 3 will have both the MBNL network and the Cornerstone network to use. If Vodafone rolled out 3G (900 and 2100) and 4G (800 and 2600) to every mast, chances are they'd be good as well.

My advice: test a couple of PAYG SIMS and see which is best. I'd recommend EE though.