What happened to user Jabbamk1?

Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
Forum Member
✭✭
I noticed he hasn't been on the forum for a while, checked and the last post was 10-09-2015.

I always thought he contributions were useful, giving information about dates for things, coverage maps and best sim deals etc

It's a shame he doesn't post here anymore.

Comments

• GigabitGigabit Posts: 8,768
    Forum Member
    I suspect that he might have got into a spot of bother with Three as I believe he was posting confidential information.
  • lightspeed2398lightspeed2398 Posts: 2,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gigabit wrote: »
    I suspect that he might have got into a spot of bother with Three as I believe he was posting confidential information.

I think that's a possibility. I bet if you wanted to you could piece together who he was from all he said. Shame if true I really valued what he said although a lot of it was commercially sensitive.
  • Deleted_User381237831Deleted_User381237831 Posts: 7,902
    Forum Member
    I was thinking the same the other day.... hope he comes back soon
  • Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glad it wasn't just me that missed his contributions and noticed.
  • John_PatrickJohn_Patrick Posts: 924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gigabit wrote: »

I can believe this 100% - one of my colleagues back in the early days of Three (or H3G), posted a few things on (I think) newsgroups and the company he worked for who did some work for them had him into the office for a telling off.

The irony is, that the things he was posting were very complimentary of them - as well as explaining the technology behind it he was saying what a good network they were likely to evolve into.

I gathered that they (three) are very conscious of their media standing and shareholders mis interpreting any press.
  • Pedro_CPedro_C Posts: 906
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So H3G do check message boards like this. I wonder what they think of our moaning about their VoLTE
  • heidthebaheidtheba Posts: 562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't think it is owt to do with three.

He said months ago that work would be keeping him off and that he might be able to pm I think , but posting would be minimal.

After a while , there was a flurry of posts, then back to work I assume .

Given the amount of effort/time that he put into his posts, better nothing than half arsed efforts.
  • Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pedro_C wrote: »
    So H3G do check message boards like this. I wonder what they think of our moaning about their VoLTE

They probably think there's a very tiny number (fewer than 10 people on this board) who don't understand why decisions have been made and don't understand how complex running 45% of the UK's mobile data really is (400,000 Terabytes per year)

People that think businesses are ran to blow crazy amount of money at the problem and have an army of 3,000 engineers rushing to upgrade 18,000 cell sites in the space of 6 months, only to lay them 80% of them off again for another 3 years until the next rush is needed because people must have 99.99% VoLTE NOW and it's absolutely critical, even if it costs £4BN and the company makes a £2BN loss this year.

I think that's what they probably think, as they go back to not living in some magic ideal world and are faced with the reality that that have £500M to spend on 4G this year and that it has to be done bit by bit as part of a strategic capacity plan, one which at the moment is aimed on geographic coverage and later will be based around infill capacity.

They probably laugh as they see users who don't understand the issue of 800Mhz being turned on for all, with 4 million google Android devices on the network without the firmware to cope with VoLTE and so they understand the nightmare that would cause for their call centres and how they would have to hire loads of extra staff to handle all the cases logged about having signal, but not able to make calls.

They know that the small team that modifies firmware for the network has to modify, test, find bugs, go back, test again, trial deploy and then roll out carefully to avoid issues, and they know that getting new firmware out for devices takes time, they probably resist the temptation to cave in to the 10 angry users and just push everything out without proper testing because they know the nightmare it would cause if phones all started having major issues, all the phones going back to the stores, all the cost to the business.

I think that's what they think when they read some of the comments by users who don't really understand, because they've never worked in an IT environment and they think there's unlimited budgets, no technical challenges and everything is easy, so why isn't it just done straight away just the way they imagine it in their head. Of course all said with the gift of hindsight as well.
  • bookey_ukbookey_uk Posts: 282
    Forum Member
    Best post I have read in a while!
  • tycho-magtycho-mag Posts: 8,642
    Forum Member
    bookey_uk wrote: »
    Best post I have read in a while!

Agreed - there are people on this forum who understand the Enterprise and complex system development; and I suspect not much more complex than a mobile network!
  • Pedro_CPedro_C Posts: 906
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If nothing else, the way I see it is that there is a very finite number of engineers, so with the best will in the world, you cannot upgrade a country's network overnight. 3's VoLTE is kinda a shambles, but owning an S5, it kinda works as intended ie where I had no signal before, I now have 4G.
  • jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know Three read posts on this forum as they've told me, but I never thought Jabbamk1 directly worked for Three, nor said anything that would bring the company into disrepute. I do believe he's just busy doing other things.

Because I work from home, I have more time than usual to post and contribute here. It often like having a **** break to come on and check new posts! When I was office based, I was away from here for the best part of two years with hardly any logins.

It happens, and he may well be back some time.
  • BTSports71BTSports71 Posts: 33
    Forum Member
    I miss Sky Platinum!
  • d123d123 Posts: 8,590
    Forum Member
    jonmorris wrote: »
    Because I work from home, I have more time than usual to post and contribute here. It often like having a **** break to come on and check new posts!

Same here, I've also got an exceptionally good boss that doesn't care what I do so if I'm skiving off on the internet rather than working he doesn't care.

;)
    Forum Member
    BTSports71 wrote: »
    I miss Sky Platinum!

You've been here since August and he left months before...
    Forum Member
    jonmorris wrote: »
    I know Three read posts on this forum as they've told me, but I never thought Jabbamk1 directly worked for Three, nor said anything that would bring the company into disrepute. I do believe he's just busy doing other things.

Maybe he worked for a partner then because he definitely posted confidential information, such as the 4G locations, the Super-Voice locations and more before it was released. He posted photos of powerpoints...
  • finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hugh_. I don't miss him.
  • Deleted_User381237831Deleted_User381237831 Posts: 7,902
    Forum Member
    I miss plymouthbloke1974...... ;)
  • El CubidoEl Cubido Posts: 562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I miss Wavejock.

Said no one ever :D
  • d123d123 Posts: 8,590
    Forum Member
    I miss plymouthbloke1974...... ;)

No, good riddance to him, it was like he was drunk everytime he posted :p

:D
    Forum Member
    Wavejock was lovely.
  • DevonBlokeDevonBloke Posts: 6,835
    Forum Member
    d123 wrote: »
    No, good riddance to him, it was like he was drunk everytime he posted :p

:D

You sure you haven't got your Blokes mixed up.
    Isn't it the other one who always posts drunk?
    Forum Member
    d123 wrote: »
    Same here, I've also got an exceptionally good boss that doesn't care what I do so if I'm skiving off on the internet rather than working he doesn't care.

;)

Me too but I find it's fatal for getting work done,
    There's always something much more interesting to do, like going on DS making supposedly humorous comments, emptying the dishwasher or worming the cat!
  • jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As I don't have a cat and hate the dishwasher, this forum is an ideal place to procrastinate!

(and no, that's not a typo!)
    Forum Member
    I suppose that's possible while having a **** but how do you type??
    Hahahahahaha