TalkTalk 'free' SIM card

barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Has anybody else been offered one of these as a 'Christmas present'?

I've ignored previous, similar offers after hearing about rip-off delivery charges, but thought I'd give this one a go. When it appeared in the shopping basket it showed the £5 charge changed to £0 but said it was a 30-day contract. So how is it worth the claimed £90 and can anybody tell me what they were charged for delivery?

It seems to me that if some of the stories are true it would be a far better bet to take up one of the regular offers at only £4.95 a month, for which delivery of the card would presumably be free.

I've already asked this question on the TalkTalk forum, but I thought I might get a much quicker answer on here.

Comments

• mupet0000mupet0000 Posts: 629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I assume you are talking about this:
    NEW! Claim your FREE mobile SIM worth £90

We want you to stay in touch more easily - wherever you are. We're giving you a Free mobile SIM as part of your Plus TV package. Just add it when you place your Plus TV order.

Your FREE mobile SIM worth £90* includes monthly allowance of:
    100 minutes
    250 texts
    200MB of data
    30 day contract
    *Based on £5 a month over 18 months

Seems pretty self explanitory. You get the listed allowances that refresh every 30 days, for free, and the value is based on charging £5 per month for 18 months. Looks like the only thing you need to be eligible for the offer is to be placing an order for a Plus TV package.

You really should contact TalkTalk directly for clarification.
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's the 30 day contract part I don't understand.
  • mupet0000mupet0000 Posts: 629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Most mobile networks offer different terms of contract, 30 days, 12 months or 24 months. So you are going to be contracted for 30 days to pay £0 to get the above allowances. Seen as it's free, I don't think it really matters. You should probably find out the terms and conditions as it might clarify things.
  • stevensdrsstevensdrs Posts: 1,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got mine the other day. Put it in my spare phone, activated it on talktalk website account and instantly working. Can't see any catches, just stick within the free allowance and remember to cancel it in 11 months time.
  • coopermanyorkscoopermanyorks Posts: 21,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stevensdrs wrote: »
    Got mine the other day. Put it in my spare phone, activated it on talktalk website account and instantly working. Can't see any catches, just stick within the free allowance and remember to cancel it in 11 months time.

The blurb in post # 2 says its a 30 day contract,why wait 11 months to cancel ?
  • sillssills Posts: 233
    Forum Member
    It's free for the first year, after that you have to pay for it.
  • planetf1planetf1 Posts: 730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember back in late 2003 (or 4?) when I was on an early three contract for £0/month. after 12 months I was able to "upgrade" to a new handset as long as I committed to a further 12 (or was it 18) months. Yes at £0/month. with no upfront fee... That was a fun conversation (the upgrade was to a Motorola A925 if anyone remembers it, I guess my first smartphone). That one action probably gave me a lot of brand loyalty to three though, and apart from a few year accident with vodafone I've stuck it out1
  • jjesso123jjesso123 Posts: 5,944
    Forum Member
    Haggle with them I've just got an S6 32gb new for free for 6.50 a month. All I wanted was phone so low amount of minutes 300 200 texts and 1gb of data. I'm now again happy talktalk customer. I've also got terrible credit history ( no would accept me for even a £5 a month contract.) So I think as long as you pay bills on time they accept anyone.

Even did not want the phone you could sell and make more than you spend on the whole 12 month contract. A lot better than taking the sim card.
  • swb1964swb1964 Posts: 4,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bare in mind prices are disgustingly high if you go over your allowances. If you are confident you can stay below 100 mins, fine, but otherwise Asda or GiffGaff's £5 bundles might be better.