Please introduce a car mount to me.

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
Forum Member
I need a car phone holder/mount. If you have recommendations please do not hesitate to let me know:D

Comments

• blueacidblueacid Posts: 2,472
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm very happy that I got a Brodit Proclip. You buy it in two halves: one is custom fit to the phone (or a generic cradle), the other half is specific to your car. The car specific bits are designed to clip into the fascia of the car without damaging it, but being really sturdy (and way better than those useless windscreen sucky cup mounts).

It's probably more expensive than most are looking for but in my view it was utterly worth it to have my phone held stably: it's used for navigation and music while in the car.
  • biggy7biggy7 Posts: 108
    Forum Member
    Brodit user here too, very good quality :)
  • David_bl1David_bl1 Posts: 263
    Forum Member
    I can also recommend Brodit, but make sure you buy from an authorised reseller. There are lots of low quality knock-off products on ebay and amazon.
  • tdensontdenson Posts: 5,773
    Forum Member
    In my opinion there is nothing to beat a cheap and cheerful magnet stuck to the dash with a little strip of metal on the back of the phone (assuming you have it in a case then it goes on the back of the case). Costs a couple of pounds off eBay and couldn't be more convenient, just throw the phone onto it. I have done this for the last 8 years on a variety of cars and umpteen phones (since the iPhone 1, that's why I know it's 8 years). I also do it on rental cars, the sticky magnet comes off again without leaving a mark.
  • andycatandycat Posts: 52
    Forum Member
    Brodit yes.

I'm now looking at a Qi wireless one though for my Moto X Force. Any suggestions?
  • tycho-magtycho-mag Posts: 8,642
    Forum Member
    on the right car, Kenu airframe
    http://www.kenu.com/#/products/airframe

or for larger phones, the airframe+ :
    http://www.kenu.com/#/products/airframe-plus
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,474
    Forum Member
    Another vote for the Kenu Airframe: Robust, small and portable and does not foul buttons like all the others do as it only uses a single clamping arm. Not found a vehicle it is not usable on.

And I have adapted a small, acrylic plate stand (removing the back plane) to use with my wireless adapter power pack and the Airframe to use it as a wireless charging cradle which is much better and less clunky than anything I have seen on the market.
    Forum Member
    gomezz wrote: »
    Another vote for the Kenu Airframe: Robust, small and portable and does not foul buttons like all the others do as it only uses a single clamping arm. Not found a vehicle it is not usable on.

On my car the only brodit mount covers the air vents anyway, so the Airframe is much more practical as its easily movable.

It also means the top of the phone is high up, lined with the glass, not low down where the signal can't get to it due to the metalwork of the car. Works well for using SatNav apps.
  • BKMBKM Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    biggy7 wrote: »
    Brodit user here too, very good quality :)
    Brodit for my Golf Mk7 - fits neatly below all the vents and the radio (near to the aircon controls)
  • hatton920hatton920 Posts: 54
    Forum Member
    Another brodit user here. Can't fault them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,383
    Forum Member
    Another Brodit vote - get the bracket specific to your vehicle and the holder appropriate for your phone. Changed my phone more than my car and just changed holder but kept the same bracket. Bracket fits cleverly to existing centre console fixings (Volvo "waterfall") and leaves all vents & controls free and phone in perfect position.
  • d123d123 Posts: 8,590
    Forum Member
    jchamier wrote: »
    on the right car, Kenu airframe
    http://www.kenu.com/#/products/airframe

or for larger phones, the airframe+ :
    http://www.kenu.com/#/products/airframe-plus

A bit impractical for hot or cold weather, you end up steaming bathing your phone in the winter and in the summer freezing the phone in the aircon or having to leave one of the vents closed.

I'd rather use a bracket that doesn't sit in front of an air vent.
    Forum Member
    d123 wrote: »

Yes, unless the other makers of bracket, including Brodit, use the same location for your car, so you don't really have a choice if you want to see the screen.

Windscreen suction mounts kept falling off last year, too much moisture in the air (well this is the UK!).
    Forum Member
    jchamier wrote: »
    Yes, unless the other makers of bracket, including Brodit, use the same location for your car, so you don't really have a choice if you want to see the screen.

Windscreen suction mounts kept falling off last year, too much moisture in the air (well this is the UK!).

I've used a Brodit in some of my cars (but as you say, not always possible to get one that doesn't block a vent), having said that, a good quality suction mount doesn't fall off, I was given one by a rep some years ago (that long ago I can't remember who it was :blush: ) and it's only been off the windscreen of the work car about 3 times in 3 years (and all three were on purpose), it's actually a right bugger to get off it sticks so hard.

I've carried up to a 6" phone in it on some very bumpy farm roads without a problem.

I really should try and remember where it came from...
  • GigabitGigabit Posts: 8,768
    Forum Member
    Does a dash mount exist that leaves all ports (top and bottom) accessible? Something like the Kenu Airframe but for the dash as opposed to the air vents?
  • GreeboGreebo Posts: 1,418
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gigabit wrote: »
    Does a dash mount exist that leaves all ports (top and bottom) accessible? Something like the Kenu Airframe but for the dash as opposed to the air vents?

Another brodit vote here. Since their parts are specific to the model of car and phone, you need to check both on the website to see what they offer. Common phones are likely to have a version with all ports clear and just part of the side of the phone is gripped, and often also have one with a prewired power connector if you want to be able to slot straight into a charger. Many offer rotation so you can put the phone into landscape if you like to see your satnav better that way. For the two cars I've used them in there was a centre console side option, not blocking air vents - and the idea is there is no drilling into the dash, so you can remove again without leaving marks. Quality stuff!
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You can get mounts which fit to the CD player slot.

Many avaialble on eBay. Here's an example: http://r.ebay.com/HwmXyY
  • SkipTracerSkipTracer Posts: 2,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    You can get mounts which fit to the CD player slot.

Many avaialble on eBay. Here's an example: http://r.ebay.com/HwmXyY

Not a lot of good for me as my CD player is in the glove compartment.:D

My satnav is fixed to a Tom-Tom air vent bracket but before that I used a Tom-Tom dash bean bag that works very well with my dash cam and can be put down out of sight when not in use. Fixed camera / phone bracket to the bean bag with self adhesive doubled sided heavy duty tape.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TomTom-9UUB-001-01-Beanbag-Dashboard-Mount/dp/B00261J1D8

Cheaper version also available.
  • HurlleyHurlley Posts: 2,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use the cheap airframe copycat off ebay. So little to it but it works perfectly for me.
    Forum Member
    I've used a Brodit in some of my cars (but as you say, not always possible to get one that doesn't block a vent), having said that, a good quality suction mount doesn't fall
    On the new Golf the Brodit that I have was in two parts - one phone specific and the other specifically for VW to fit neatly between two trim panels next to the heater controls - which even came with a tool to pry the trim joint slightly open!

About £35 total off eBay but a really neat job!
    Forum Member
    BKM wrote: »
    On the new Golf the Brodit that I have was in two parts - one phone specific and the other specifically for VW

From memory (at least in every car where I've used a Brodit and since sometime in the 1990's) they have always come in 2 parts, it's not something that only happens with VWs.
    Forum Member
    From memory (at least in every car where I've used a Brodit and since sometime in the 1990's) they have always come in 2 parts, it's not something that only happens with VWs.
    Most probably! It was the first Brodit kit I had used - after lots of drastically cheaper but highly inferior vent mounted things!
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,474
    Forum Member
    Gigabit wrote: »
    Fix a small acrylic plate stand to a beanbag mount. Add a couple of elasticated bands to hold the phone in place.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    Thank you for all the above answers. I have got a free one from AMZtracker, and I am satisfied with it. Not only because I got it free, but the quality and design is the reason I like it. You can have a try if you like, highly recommend: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mobile-Phone-Car-Holder-Windshield/dp/B01937AF6O