Modified OS on new Android Phone?

TheVoidTheVoid Posts: 3,086
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I bought a 'new' handset from eBay and when checking for updates, I get told:

The operating system on your device has been modified in an unauthorised way. Try downloading software updates using Samsung Kies on your PC

Bit worrying... could this be because the seller unlocked the handset?

Thanks

Comments

• TheVoidTheVoid Posts: 3,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    P.S. It's a Samsung Galaxy Mini S4... on Android 4.4.4... which surprises me as I thought this could get Lollipop?
  • sammy_boysammy_boy Posts: 143
    Forum Member
    Sounds like it's been rooted and a custom/modified ROM installed, could be why you're getting that message.
  • Aye UpAye Up Posts: 7,053
    Forum Member
    TheVoid wrote: »
    P.S. It's a Samsung Galaxy Mini S4... on Android 4.4.4... which surprises me as I thought this could get Lollipop?

If you know the exact model number go to sammobile.com for instructions on getting the latest OS available for your handset.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's brand new though, with all the stickers on the handset so it's a bit odd.

I'm trying an update via the samsung pc software to see if that sorts it.
  • Aye UpAye Up Posts: 7,053
    Forum Member
    It's brand new though, with all the stickers on the handset so it's a bit odd.

I'm trying an update via the samsung pc software to see if that sorts it.

On the side of the box it came in, it should have a model number like SGH-800 or similar, post it here and I will try and get the right firmware update for you.

EDIT: Is it GT-I9190?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aye Up wrote: »
    On the side of the box it came in, it should have a model number like SGH-800 or similar, post it here and I will try and get the right firmware update for you.

EDIT: Is it GT-I9190?

It's GT-I9195I

Thanks
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I bought a 'new' handset from eBay and when checking for updates, I get told:

The operating system on your device has been modified in an unauthorised way. Try downloading software updates using Samsung Kies on your PC

Bit worrying... could this be because the seller unlocked the handset?

Thanks

Unless you are comfortable with installing custom ROMs on devices, you may want to consider sending it back for a refund. As you say, it might have been hacked to unlock it for all networks. Worst case, it has malware on it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stig wrote: »
    Unless you are comfortable with installing custom ROMs on devices, you may want to consider sending it back for a refund. As you say, it might have been hacked to unlock it for all networks. Worst case, it has malware on it.

If you do unlock a handset yourself, would this be classed as modified?
  • d123d123 Posts: 8,590
    Forum Member
    If you do unlock a handset yourself, would this be classed as modified?

Depends how it was unlocked, with some methods some Samsungs are rooted as part of the unlocking process.

How was the phone unlocked?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    d123 wrote: »
    Depends how it was unlocked, with some methods some Samsungs are rooted as part of the unlocking process.

How was the phone unlocked?

No idea, the seller didn't tell me it had been unlocked.

Realistically, if I've reset the phone to factory settings, is there anything to worry about?
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No idea, the seller didn't tell me it had been unlocked.

Realistically, if I've reset the phone to factory settings, is there anything to worry about?
    'Factory settings' will just use the modified ROM on the handset.

Maybe I'm paranoid, but I'd want a stock ROM on it:
    http://www.smartphoneroot.in/2015/05/flash-stock-rom-on-s4-mini-gt-i9195i.html

or a trusted ROM like this one:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2558685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think it is a custom rom. It doesn't say 'custom' anywhere in the device information.
  • Synthetic42Synthetic42 Posts: 1,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The S4 mini can't get Lollipop.

OP - Connect your phone to Kies and do an emergency software recovery, it'll wipe the phone and install the latest official firmware for your phone's serial number.

Although as others have said, if it's been rooted to unlock it to all networks, you'll lose this....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

OP - Connect your phone to Kies and do an emergency software recovery, it'll wipe the phone and install the latest official firmware for your phone's serial number.

Although as others have said, if it's been rooted to unlock it to all networks, you'll lose this....

I tried that but it kept failing to verify after it had downloaded during the process?
  • finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A phone that is "new" should not have these issues. Just send it back for a refund. It just sounds dodgy to me.
  • d123d123 Posts: 8,590
    Forum Member

You would lose the root, but you wouldn't lose the unlock, the root is just required to physically gain access to unlock, but the unlock is permanent.
  • Synthetic42Synthetic42 Posts: 1,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree it sounds dodgy anyway, would send it back