iPhone 7

Stereo SteveStereo Steve Posts: 1,573
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Bit premature I know but I want to go back on contract with EE and the missus (who is) is way past due an upgrade as she's on an iPhone 4! So, after new year I'm looking at a couple phones on the 12gb tarrif. Shared if possible but I suspect that means buying one outright. We'll see what they come up with. It will be an iPhone as I'm done with Android now.

So, I'm guessing we can expect a 7 in 2016 and as the change in number usually brings a big format change, is it wise to buy a 6S now, this late in the cycle? I love the phone and it seems to do everything I need but what game changers am I going to miss out on with the 7? Happy to stay on PAYG and pick up a 6 in the meantime as some geezer lent me a signal box which works well so lack of wificalling is not going to kill me. I suppose on PAYG I'll miss out on VOIP and 800 as well? Hmmm.

Comments

• Ben_FisherBen_Fisher Posts: 836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I never understand people who blindly buy a phone without seeing it or it even released.
  • ba_baracusba_baracus Posts: 3,236
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This late in the cycle? Jesus, it's been out less than 100 days...
  • GigabitGigabit Posts: 8,768
    Forum Member
    Can somebody explain to me why the iPhone is worth double the cost of an Android phone. What does it actually do better?

This is coming from a former iPhone user. I had every iPhone up to the 5s. I believe up to that point the iPhone was worth the premium but no longer does it offer anything unique that I can think of.
  • Stereo SteveStereo Steve Posts: 1,573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gigabit wrote: »
    Can somebody explain to me why the iPhone is worth double the cost of an Android phone. What does it actually do better?

This is coming from a former iPhone user. I had every iPhone up to the 5s. I believe up to that point the iPhone was worth the premium but no longer does it offer anything unique that I can think of.

It's not double the cost of an S6 is it? I've got a cheap Android phone and well, want to go back to an iPhone.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ba_baracus wrote: »
    This late in the cycle? Jesus, it's been out less than 100 days...

Which means we are about 200 days off the end of the 6 cycle.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ben_Fisher wrote: »
    I never understand people who blindly buy a phone without seeing it or it even released.

I haven't bought one as yet because they don't exist. The question was whether people thought it would be worth waiting for ie. are there any killer features we can expect to see?
    Forum Member
    It's not double the cost of an S6 is it? I've got a cheap Android phone and well, want to go back to an iPhone.

S6 is under £300 now so yes it is.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    S6 is under £300 now so yes it is.

I recall it being more expensive at some point. Perhaps therein lies the answer..........
    Forum Member
    I recall it being more expensive at some point. Perhaps therein lies the answer..........

What's your point? That because Apple control the market like a dictator their prices never drop?
  • DevonBlokeDevonBloke Posts: 6,835
    Forum Member
    iPhone 7 will be made of liquid metal and will morph into anything you want.
    Also it will be powered by the force.

Problem is you won't know until the keynote as everyone will pretend they know and then it will all have been completely wrong.
    Since the 6s does WC, VoLTE, 800, VV and is Cat 6 (I think) so you'll be able to get on 4G+ I can't see how many new network features are going to come along that would make you wish you'd waited.

However, I kept a 3Gs for 3 years so I could get on the cycle where I changed at 5, 6, 7 etc..
    Not long now to iPhone 7!
    Yeah PAYG you won't have WiFi calling, Visual Voicemail, and probably VoLTE and 800 to start with.
  • lightspeed2398lightspeed2398 Posts: 2,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh good we've got another Apple vs Android thread. I might have some popcorn left over from when I saw Star Wars this afternoon - great film btw.

I think the iPhone 7 will bring the update to the form, processor etc. But I think we've always seen what would be considered the "ground-breaking" features like Touch ID/3D Touch in the S update so maybe that would be the way to look at it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's your point? That because Apple control the market like a dictator their prices never drop?

You don't have to buy one but you can see why people are happy to pay a premium for a product which holds it's money rather than drops like a stone. Anyway, this was about the iPhone, as I said, I'm not impressed with Android.
    Forum Member
    Yeah can we not do another one vs the other thing.
    If you can go PAYG first then do that but you won't have those features and WiFi calling is well worth having if you need it.
    I would wait for the 7 now. It's 9 months away which is too close.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never started it mister, it was Tucker Jenkins. I was just asking the question, that's all.

Good point about the S models usually being the bigger step. I missed the 5 and 6 but while the 4 was a format change, you could argue that the 4S was a far bigger improvement over the 4 than the 4 was over the 3S, or something.

6S does look good. Dunno.
  • LyceumLyceum Posts: 3,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd get one now. Then you're on the s cycle of you decide to stay with iPhone. And seriously it's been out less than 3 months. So it's hardly 'late in the cycle'.

By the s cycle they've managed to iron out any kinks they have the that model and let's be honest it'll be what iPhones always are, an Incremental upgrade to the 6s. That's what Apple do.

I'm a massive Apple fan and had iPhones since the 3G and it still amazes me that people ignore all history and think the next iPhone will be groundbreaking.

It won't. It'll be a 6s with (maybe) a different shape body, slightly faster cpu and a few new features. That's it.

Better to be on the s cycle that way you have the best version of every iPhone.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lyceum wrote: »
    I'd get one now. Then you're on the s cycle of you decide to stay with iPhone. And seriously it's been out less than 3 months. So it's hardly 'late in the cycle'.

By the s cycle they've managed to iron out any kinks they have the that model and let's be honest it'll be what iPhones always are, an Incremental upgrade to the 6s. That's what Apple do.

I'm a massive Apple fan and had iPhones since the 3G and it still amazes me that people ignore all history and think the next iPhone will be groundbreaking.

It won't. It'll be a 6s with (maybe) a different shape body, slightly faster cpu and a few new features. That's it.

Better to be on the s cycle that way you have the best version of every iPhone.

Certainly loved my 4S. Brilliant little phone. Just got left behind with 4G etc. I think you are right, I think I'll go 6S. Then regret it for 18 months when the 7 has a built in coffee maker which injects tasty beverages directly into your eyeball via your iBan Aviators.
  • AxeVictimAxeVictim Posts: 3,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just get the 6S now,if the 7 floats your boat when it arrives sell the 6S and buy 7 simples ;-)
    Forum Member
    You have the best username ever!
    Forum Member
    The 6s is nearly twice as fast as the 6 and the 7 will be probably nearly twice as fast as the 6s.
    How is that even possible?
    I blame Ray Kurtzweil.
    Damn him and his wild predictions that keep coming true....
  • LyceumLyceum Posts: 3,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Certainly loved my 4S. Brilliant little phone. Just got left behind with 4G etc. I think you are right, I think I'll go 6S. Then regret it for 18 months when the 7 has a built in coffee maker which injects tasty beverages directly into your eyeball via your iBan Aviators.

No don't worry about it. The iCoffe will be an acsessory as will the iSunGlasses, each will cost an extra £600 with an upfront cost of one of your kidneys.

But on the plus side when you upgrade to the 7s it'll all be in built!
  • d123d123 Posts: 8,590
    Forum Member
    Someone asks a question about buying an iPhone and (predictably) you get the the anti-iPhone posters jumping in like flies to a fresh cowpat.

StereoSteve wanted advice on which iPhone to buy, he didn't ask for any advice about how much it costs and why Android flagships start at the same high price but are worth half the value within 6 months.

I don't think he had any questions at all about Android phones, if I read the OP correctly.
  • Mark SmithMark Smith Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I can see why the iPhone is worth the premium. My last two phones have been Android and they were both crap. I'm not talking about cheap phones either, these were flagship devices, Samsung Galaxy S3 and HTC One M8. The phone I had before that, iPhone 4, was by far the best phone I ever had. It's battery life held up well compared to the two phones I've had since.

I couldn't recommend a premium android phone to anyone, but they're OK at the lower end. iPhones may not always have all the best features but the ones they do have work a lot better.

So if you don't mind I'd prefer to pay a premium for a solid phone that works as it should do and doesn't need charging twice a day. Sadly I'm still using the M8 now but will be changing that in February for a 6S or 6S Plus. I'm done with Android.
  • Ben_FisherBen_Fisher Posts: 836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What, the M8 is amazing and the battery kicks the iPhone 4s ass...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark Smith wrote: »
    I can see why the iPhone is worth the premium. My last two phones have been Android and they were both crap. I'm not talking about cheap phones either, these were flagship devices, Samsung Galaxy S3 and HTC One M8. The phone I had before that, iPhone 4, was by far the best phone I ever had. It's battery life held up well compared to the two phones I've had since.

I couldn't recommend a premium android phone to anyone, but they're OK at the lower end. iPhones may not always have all the best features but the ones they do have work a lot better.

So if you don't mind I'd prefer to pay a premium for a solid phone that works as it should do and doesn't need charging twice a day. Sadly I'm still using the M8 now but will be changing that in February for a 6S or 6S Plus. I'm done with Android.

We're in danger of going iOS vs Android again. Let's just say that Android is ITV and iOS is BBC. IPhones are Mercedes Benz, Android phones are Kia Sedona and leave it at that. That shouldn't offend anyone.

I don't think it's actually possible to discuss an iPhone on this forum without the hate squad jumping in. I tried Android with an open mind. I really did. I have to say I don't like it. Tipping point was my boy getting an iPod touch for Xmas and me helping him set it up, reminded me of how you make an OS that just works. Meanwhile my Android phone keeps bleeping endless notifications I can't turn off and turn out to be that I have too much junk or that three in touch is available or some other nonsense. It's just a lot of old crap and I want back into iOS.
    Forum Member
    Ben_Fisher wrote: »
    What, the M8 is amazing and the battery kicks the iPhone 4s ass...

What?? Is that iPhone 4 or 4s you meant.
    Either way you appear to have regressed to 2010.
    We're on the 6s at the moment. You do know that don't you?
    Sorry, it was probably a typo but I've drunk too much London Pride!
    Hahahahaha