Is this a reasonably good deal?

dazn12dazn12 Posts: 6,908
Forum Member
I phoned Three today as I had received a text message to say I was due an upgrade. I'm currently paying £29 for the Ultimate 500 plan (which apparently doesn't exist anymore) but was 500 minutes, 1,000 texts, Unlimited Data.

I was using a Nexus 5 and whilst it was a great phone, over the past 3-4 months it had started playing up big time - sluggish and the battery would die in about 2 hours. I have been wanting to go back to an iPhone for a while so asked if they could give me a deal on the iPhone 6.

This is what they offered me, apparently in the whole time I've been with them (5 years), the most internet I have used was 2.7 GB in a month.

iPhone 6S 16GB, Unlimited Calls, Texts, 8 GB data/mo - £40.00 a month. No upfront cost for the phone.

I did mention that it would be a shame to no longer have 'all you can eat' on data but apparently if I wanted that, the cost would be £56.00 a month. I was then reminded that I had never exceeded 2.7 GB.

I don't do Netflix or watch live TV/iPlayer on the go although I do use the TuneIn radio app and very occasionally I will use Spotify (the free tier as I do not subscribe) and maybe the odd YouTube video every now again. The only other internet use I do is Facebook, Twitter & Instagram. Would 8GB be too small for this? All in all, is it a good deal?

The agent told me as this was an exclusive deal for an existing customer, he'd be able to offer it only up until tomorrow.

Would love to know what people think - I'm not too savvy when it comes to what is considered a good deal in the mobile world.

Comments

• lightspeed2398lightspeed2398 Posts: 2,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The deal isn't the worst. In fact it's quite good because no upfront cost and relatively high amount of data.

Assuming that it's a 24 month contract that works out at £960 for 24 months which isn't too bad at all. Subtracting the cost of an iPhone it works out at £17.50 for the network side at things which compares favourably to what you get now. You could probably get 8GB on other networks though cheaper if you were willing to do cash back deals and shop around.