Options

Game of Thrones season 1 - SPOILERS, for those who have read *all the books*

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 135
    Forum Member
    You are correct inspiration was the word I was looking for, one of several influences for him to create the series. Could Tyrion be in some way based on Richard III, a yorkist I know and not actually deformed although Shakespeare made everyone think he was.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 392
    Forum Member
    Thinking about historical inspiration, I was wondering if Littlefinger was inspired by Thomas Cromwell - though he seems a lot more canny and accomplished than Cromwell! Here's hoping for a similiar end for his Creepiness :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,442
    Forum Member
    Anyone help me with this:

Spoiler for another not near half way through Clash of the Kings
    What is a Warg? I have seen the word twice, but I haven't a clue what it means - I thought it a misspelling at first, and when mentioned again (during one of Sansa's beatings - I am starting to like her character more and pity her situation) I couldn't work out what an army of wargs were?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thinking about historical inspiration, I was wondering if Littlefinger was inspired by Thomas Cromwell - though he seems a lot more canny and accomplished than Cromwell! Here's hoping for a similiar end for his Creepiness :p

I dunno...considering his background Cromwell was extremely accomplished. Petyr Baelish is hardly a blacksmith's son from the back streets.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone help me with this:

Spoiler for another not near half way through Clash of the Kings
    What is a Warg? I have seen the word twice, but I haven't a clue what it means - I thought it a misspelling at first, and when mentioned again (during one of Sansa's beatings - I am starting to like her character more and pity her situation) I couldn't work out what an army of wargs were?
    Skinchangers. Bran is described as a skin changer - he becomes a wolf when he "merges" with Summer
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Shute wrote: »
    I dunno...considering his background Cromwell was extremely accomplished. Petyr Baelish is hardly a blacksmith's son from the back streets.

But they are both lowborn men manipulating nobility and royalty, rising high in society and court through their cunning and intelligence rather than their blood. Though I think Baelish is far more powerful and self-serving and and successful than Cromwell - thus far anyway.
  • Options
    rwouldrwould Posts: 5,260
    Forum Member
    I think of Baelish more like Grima from LOTR than anyone else.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think he's far more suave, competent and intelligent than Grima. He's not just whispering evilness into highborn ears,
    he is manipulating nearly everything in Westeros. Though interestingly not Essos
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    But they are both lowborn men manipulating nobility and royalty, rising high in society and court through their cunning and intelligence rather than their blood. Though I think Baelish is far more powerful and self-serving and and successful than Cromwell - thus far anyway.

Littlefinger isn't low-born though. He's a noble, albeit a very minor one.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    He was too low-born to marry Catelyn.
    I realise he's risen in the ranks since then, particularly lately, but I think his initial position, and the fact he could not marry the woman he loved because of it, spurred him on in his devious ambitions

Very mch looking forward to tonight's episode! :D
  • Options
    Gaz22Gaz22 Posts: 18,952
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ros is doing well for a character not in the books. She seems to be in nearly every episode. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Gaz22 wrote: »
    Ros is doing well for a character not in the books. She seems to be in nearly every episode. :D

Who is Ros? I have not noticed the character?
  • Options
    Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The redhead **** with the nice boobs.

I think she was mentioned in the book, just not seen.
  • Options
    arteroartero Posts: 1,149
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The first Targaryen Queen Regnant would have been Rhaenyra. It was that dispute over succession that led to the Blackfyre Rebellion that caused war in the family. If history is to be repeated, it might mean a showdown between Jon (Ice) and Daenerys (Fire).

Or perhaps it will mean that Westeros is eventually divided up again. I could see Jon, Dany and Tyrion being at the heads of those divided kingdoms.

My own theory on this, and ultimately how the series will end is Dany and her army (plus the dragons) heading to the wall to fight off the invasion of the white walkers. She and Jon will get together and then the reveal of Jon's true parentage will come out and a new dynasty is born out of fire and ice (do you see what I've done there)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    Littlefinger isn't low-born though. He's a noble, albeit a very minor one.

Thanks. That's what I meant. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    artero wrote: »
    My own theory on this, and ultimately how the series will end is Dany and her army (plus the dragons) heading to the wall to fight off the invasion of the white walkers. She and Jon will get together and then the reveal of Jon's true parentage will come out and a new dynasty is born out of fire and ice (do you see what I've done there)

Fire + ice = water. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Matt D wrote: »
    The redhead **** with the nice boobs.

I think she was mentioned in the book, just not seen.

Ah I have only seen her in three episodes, I must have missed her in the others :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 423
    Forum Member
    My impression with Ros (I haven't seen episode 7 yet so might be obviously wrong) is that she's going to be taking on the role of Shae. She's the only **** who's been given any character so far and there's no reason why Shae's character can't be called 'Ros' instead.

I hope so because Esme Bianco is doing an absolutely cracking job. There's a lot of great performances in the series but she stands out as someone who just seems totally relaxed whenever she's on screen, which I wouldn't be if I had to do the things she does! :o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 156
    Forum Member
    Shae has been cast.

I suspect she's more likely to be Alayaya.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Shae has been cast.

I suspect she's more likely to be Alayaya.

Isn't Alayaya black? I know they can change the characters a little, but I think some could take offence changing the character (it happens a lot)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isn't Alayaya black? I know they can change the characters a little, but I think some could take offence changing the character (it happens a lot)

It wouldn't be the first time ... take Trueblood. Book Tara is white and a minor character. TV series Tara is black and in nearly every damn scene. :D
  • Options
    wildbenji64wildbenji64 Posts: 2,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Finally finished A Clash of Kings yesterday, taken me 2 weeks, read the GoT in less than a half of that. Thankfully I'm already making quick work of A Storm of Swords, Part 1 anyway.

Not as much of a fan of Tyrion anymore, but Jon and Daenerys are still favourite characters.

Keep accidentally seeing spoilers, not on here, but when I forget something, I usually google it and end up seeing something that hasn't happened yet, I should know better but I keep doing it :o. Major one being
    The Red Wedding, I don't know much but what I did read was a pretty big spoiler. Which as made me both look forward to it and dread it at the same time.
    Can't wait for Book 5, as I'll be reading it as soon as it's released so less chance of it being spoiled for me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Shute wrote: »
    It wouldn't be the first time ... take Trueblood. Book Tara is white and a minor character. TV series Tara is black and in nearly every damn scene. :D

Oh I know it happens a fair bit, but I have seen message boards in uproar before now because they changed a black character into a white character, and vice versa. For me I don't really mind if the actor plays the character fine I am happy :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Finally finished A Clash of Kings yesterday, taken me 2 weeks, read the GoT in less than a half of that. Thankfully I'm already making quick work of A Storm of Swords, Part 1 anyway.

Not as much of a fan of Tyrion anymore, but Jon and Daenerys are still favourite characters.

Keep accidentally seeing spoilers, not on here, but when I forget something, I usually google it and end up seeing something that hasn't happened yet, I should know better but I keep doing it :o. Major one being
    The Red Wedding, I don't know much but what I did read was a pretty big spoiler. Which as made me both look forward to it and dread it at the same time.
    Can't wait for Book 5, as I'll be reading it as soon as it's released so less chance of it being spoiled for me.

I'd stay away from *any* potential spoiler sources if I were you...you *really* don't want to spoil that particular event.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Random minor thing:

I'm sure that there was no mention of the Rhoynar in Robert's titles, just the Andals and the First Men, unlike in the books.