Doctor Who Figurine Collection

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hello.

First time poster on DS Dr Who, though I have lurked here since 2006 or so.

I guess I am a back-sliding Whovian, in the sense that I grew up with Pertwee/Baker doctors, and then kinda lost sight of things until the 2005 rebirth.

Except for those Wheat-a-Bix cardboard collectables from about 1972-78. You know, the ones with the Black Dalek. And Zygons. And all that good stuff.

My best mate,Fat Al, had a big family, mostly female, and mostly non-Whovian. So Fat Al, god bless him, collected 5 times the stuff I did. They were voracious.

I simply could not consume as much wheaty cereal as his whole family. I was so wounded.

Anyhoo, 35 years later, and seeing the add for the eaglemoss collection, I feel like spoiling myself.

I have just subscribed, Premium stylee, to this 'partwork' collection.

And let us be clear, the Zygons and Sea Devils are right in there.

God bless you all.
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Grisonaut wrote: »

Except for those Wheat-a-Bix cardboard collectables from about 1972-78. You know, the ones with the Black Dalek. And Zygons. And all that good stuff.

These were the ones I had, found them in an old tin a few months back.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Corwin wrote: »

Oh wow, the exact same ones. I still remember how they felt.

Thanks for the pic Corwin :cool:
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Grisonaut wrote: »
    Oh wow, the exact same ones. I still remember how they felt.

Thanks for the pic Corwin :cool:

I've got them all, all safely packed away! :D
  • dashyork42dashyork42 Posts: 1,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You have just taken me right back to my youth there! I remember fishing them out of the new packets hoping and praying i'd get different ones to the ones I already had-quite often not, I ended up with loads of certain ones! The boxes had "scenes" on the back if I remember rightly. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dashyork42 wrote: »
    You have just taken me right back to my youth there! I remember fishing them out of the new packets hoping and praying i'd get different ones to the ones I already had-quite often not, I ended up with loads of certain ones! The boxes had "scenes" on the back if I remember rightly. :)

Yep, I kept the boxes too, all flat packed away!

I haven't had a look through my vintage stuff for years...must go up to the loft! :D
  • Sora2311Sora2311 Posts: 2,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bought a copy today as I love Doctor Who (obviously :D) and collectables but I must say Matt's face is pretty poor, but all the pictures of the monsters look decent
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just realised, that since I work full-time, 9-5, I may become a regular visitor to my local post office depot.

Because I don't how this stuff is going to squeeze through my letter-box.

Which, unfortunately, is exactly the same size on the inside as the outside.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A YouTube user called 20Superkings is reviewing each issue, by the way.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And, let's all be real, 'hand-painted' covers a multitude of sins.

I had a summer job when I was 16, 'hand-painting' pot-purri clowns, made of wood.

I daubed some paint on the eyes.

I got paid a quarter-of-a-pence per clown, which is probably what the chinese workers are getting :o
  • Sora2311Sora2311 Posts: 2,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just subscribed does anyone know if I get issues 1, 2 and 3 together or my issues delayed since I subscribed after issue 1's release?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sora2311 wrote: »
    I just subscribed does anyone know if I get issues 1, 2 and 3 together or my issues delayed since I subscribed after issue 1's release?

I bought issue 1 in a shop, and Premmed for issue 2.

iirc the post-date is every 2nd and 4th Thursday, or something like that.

I'd think they would just get you up to speed.
  • PiippPiipp Posts: 2,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have been quite tempted by this, but having looked at a few earlier quite a lot of Matt Smith's hair is painted the same colour as his face. I'm just wondering if the quality is due to how many they have to produce for the first issue, and then it's better in later issues, or is this bad paintwork standard all the way through with these collections?

When mine arrived in the post this was my main problem with it. However, Booboo on the merchandise site has advised that the first figure is lacking in the paint department but the upcoming figures are a vast improvement. I think it's a combination of having to produce a high volume of the first issue figurine and the fact that they actually changed the 11th Doctor figure after the test release (which was only a few months ago) because of the negative feedback. Booboo specifically states that the paintwork on the final release 11th Doctor figures isn't up to the standard of the test release figure but that the upcoming figures are vastly improved.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Piipp wrote: »
    When mine arrived in the post this was my main problem with it. However, Booboo on the merchandise site has advised that the first figure is lacking in the paint department but the upcoming figures are a vast improvement. I think it's a combination of having to produce a high volume of the first issue figurine and the fact that they actually changed the 11th Doctor figure after the test release (which was only a few months ago) because of the negative feedback. Booboo specifically states that the paintwork on the final release 11th Doctor figures isn't up to the standard of the test release figure but that the upcoming figures are vastly improved.

'We're sorry you bought a lemon; everything else will be a peach'

It's all good :D
  • Brass Drag0nBrass Drag0n Posts: 5,046
    Forum Member
    So what exactly is "metallic resin"? When they say that in the advert all I hear is "plastic, but made to look a bit like metal in order to pretend they are posher than they are".

I would imagine that die cast figures would have a bit of weight to them - does the metallic resin imitate that heft?

Bit of a shame that the launch figure is the weakest of the bunch, still I suppose there will be more 11th Doctor figures, so I expect they will improve on the 1st one.
  • thatjonesboythatjonesboy Posts: 161
    Forum Member
    MikaRimmer wrote: »
    I saw this in the shop yesterday and came so close to buying it.......but I decided not too, and since then its been playing on my mind, thinking, should I get it. I think I might go back and get it, I won't be able to afford all of them though, so I'd probably get the first ones announced and the 10th Doctor , plus Clara, Martha and Sarah Jane if they become figures

Take it from me if your on the edge of trying to decide to collect, don't bother, these are a nasty plastic material and look cheap, other collections have the metallic figures which always stand the test of time, but these are just crap looking.
  • radcliffe95radcliffe95 Posts: 4,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why is Omega so prominently featured??
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why is Omega so prominently featured??

I asked that earlier! Curious!!

Anyway, I went and looked at the figurine today and it looks shite imo! If the other figurines are the same its going to be a pretty poor mass produced 'collectors' item! I am always dubious about the term 'collectors item', it suggest worth and rarity when in this case it isn't!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pull2Open wrote: »
    I asked that earlier! Curious!!

Anyway, I went and looked at the figurine today and it looks shite imo! If the other figurines are the same its going to be a pretty poor mass produced 'collectors' item! I am always dubious about the term 'collectors item', it suggest worth and rarity when in this case it isn't!

Do you mean all those tabloid 'collectors editions' of the Royal Baby Photos are not in glass cases?

I'm shocked, I tell you, shocked.

I read through the magazine today, took about 8 minutes, a presentable piece of fluff aimed at a very wide audience.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm bored now.

Where's my Dalek subscriber gift?
  • chrisii2011chrisii2011 Posts: 2,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Id love these but i have nowhere to put them *sigh*
  • Gutted GirlGutted Girl Posts: 3,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would I like these yes, but do I know that it's just going to be a very expensive way of collecting not very good figurines than yes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't care what you all say, I'm going to Ikea for a bookshelf and some mood lighting to mount the figurines on :cool:
  • PiippPiipp Posts: 2,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So I was wondering; how does everyone plan to display their figures on the stands? I'm going to do a different stand for each Doctor, so for instance, my first one will feature the 11th Doctor in the middle surrounded by monsters from his tenure. I feel it makes a bit more sense than putting 11 next to Davros and Omega; two enemies he's never faced.

EDIT: I also went into WHSmiths today and chose a new copy of issue one so that I could have an 11th Doctor figurine that's actually painted correctly. So I've now got two copies of the first one. :l
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Piipp wrote: »
    So I was wondering; how does everyone plan to display their figures on the stands? I'm going to do a different stand for each Doctor, so for instance, my first one will feature the 11th Doctor in the middle surrounded by monsters from his tenure. I feel it makes a bit more sense than putting 11 next to Davros and Omega; two enemies he's never faced.

EDIT: I also went into WHSmiths today and chose a new copy of issue one so that I could have an 11th Doctor figurine that's actually painted correctly. So I've now got two copies of the first one. :l

I might buy a couple of extras to send to friends in the USA. I don't think it's available there.

As for display, I'll have to see what shelving I can buy. Or, as my work colleague said "You never want a girlfriend again, do you?" :p