When will people ditch Android? Nokia on the way out and Blackberry next? Apple wins

123457»

Comments

• mseven1mseven1 Posts: 995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IvanIV wrote: »
    There's not much dedication to WP except Nokia and MS. Nokia tries to position itself on a budget phone market and offer their quality for a very good price. Which might be a reason of the increase. I bet it's mostly due to Lumia 520. If I weren't such a premium phone **** it would be more than enough for me, too :D

I have friends with Lumias, one got it because of the 41mp camera but I think in most cases people get the phones for the features not the operating systems. I tried all operating systems and I chose a htc windows phone because of the live tiles and they look better than small icons. For me I mainly chose it for the camera resolution but it was the live tiles that made me choose that phone over a Samsung or iphone. In most cases I think the features of the phone are important and it is a coincidence that Android has a larger market because it is available on most phones. I find that most people who dislike windows phone haven't used it.

Nokia also make basic phones which don't do much which run Symbian for people who just want it as a phone or camera and phone.
    finbaar wrote: »
    If Apple made an Android phone with a 4k screen out of platinum and gave you a £500 bribe to take it I still wouldn't be interested. I would rather support Manchester United.

That would be silly, you could sell the platinum and buy another phone and much more
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    "It's a clear choice between Samsung and Apple now. "

Not everyone is suckered by brand labels, but yes, people will always like to belong.

I don't think it is all about the brands. There are some people who don't know much about phones who would go for an iphone because they think it's the only smartphone (like one of my sisters) but I find iphones are hyped up too much, they are made out to be better than they are. When I was looking for a new phone I narrowed it down to 3 different phones - an iphone, a Samsung Galaxy and a htc phone all were similar but I chose the htc because of the interface. I liked the way the home screen was laid out and how you can sync facebook with the phone so you can read and send messages via facebook, twitter and windows live messages from the phone without going to each app.
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Not everyone is suckered by brand labels, but yes, people will always like to belong.

I dunno, on a purely superficial level I've always enjoyed having a phone other people don't have, from the Siemens SL42 and SX1 when everyone had nokia, through to the ASUS Padfone now....
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paulbrock wrote: »
    I dunno, on a purely superficial level I've always enjoyed having a phone other people don't have, from the Siemens SL42 and SX1 when everyone had nokia, through to the ASUS Padfone now....

My very first smartphone, HTC Desire, I bought because everybody sang odes to it at the time. I did not really like it. Since then I decided I would choose for myself, not so much to distinguish myself, but to get what I like, does not matter if everybody has the same or something else.
  • clonmultclonmult Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mseven1 wrote: »
    Nokia also make basic phones which don't do much which run Symbian for people who just want it as a phone or camera and phone.

No, they don't.

Nokia haven't made any Symbian phones since either late last year or early this year. The current Asha full touch range and others are S40 based, nothing whatsoever to do with Symbian.
  • calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I never totally understand this notion that people have been suckered into buying products because of the brand.

It might just be, however unlikely it might seem to you, that Apple and Samsung do so well because they actually make great products.
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    calico_pie wrote: »
    I never totally understand this notion that people have been suckered into buying products because of the brand.

It might just be, however unlikely it might seem to you, that Apple and Samsung do so well because they actually make great products.

That would be just a crazy notion :D

I agree though - just because someone has a phone or any product made by a big brand it does not make it a bad product.