Options

"Matt Smith unsure about 'Who' romance"

2»

Comments

• Options
    tingramretrotingramretro Posts: 10,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    First Doctor and that Aztec lady, anyone? ;)
    You mean the Aztec woman he befriended, got engaged to by accident as he didn't know the culture, and then ran a mile from?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But Rose was being unreasonable throughout
    season 2. Did she seriously think a 900-year-old alien scientist was going to marry her and have Time Tots together? And what was so awful about poor
    Mickey that Rose turned him down?

I thought the Martha thing was even worse-we get
    a nice, brave trainee doctor in "Smith and Jones"
    (a modern Liz Shaw?) and by the end of the season
    she's whinging because the Doctor doesn't fancy her.
    And he keeps going on about "Rose" all the time,to
    her face-none of the other Doctors would have done
    down a new companion like that (imagine if Pertwee
    kept implying "Sorry, Jo, you're not as good as Miss
    Shaw!"
    ). Even if he did have favourite companions,
    he would have at least have kept it to himself and
    not hurt poor Martha's feelings in the process.

I admit that part of my dislike for S2 Rose is due
    to the obsessive "shipper" community online, who
    were always going on about Rose/Ten and making
    nasty remarks about Martha, Donna, and even
    poor Georgia Moffat (guilty of the appalling crime
    of being Ten's real-life girlfriend ). :eek:

Well in a way he did....in all but words. Look at the way he beahved with Jo at first, and complained to the Brig that he needed a sceintist, not someone like Jo....he might as well said "no I just want Liz *pouts*":D

Where did you did nasty stuff about Georgia?? I've never come across anything like that??:confused: As for Martha...I've seen male posters and reviews pick on Freema too, which had nothing to do with the whole Ten/rose business...just that they thought Freema wasn't a good actress.
    Not really. Most posters on this board are in relationships and I suspect quite a few are successful with women and just as many are successful with men. So thats rather a spiteful little put down isnt it?

I think male fans arent keen on the 'romance' is that it wasnt needed for 26 years before.

When every other peirodical, film and TV programme has romance. Sometimes peopled need a break from it. Male/female romances have entered the realm of tired old cliche. They do take time away from the main story. With Army of Ghosts the whole thing came to an awkward juddering halt for ten minutes as Jackie and Pete got together in the middle of a dalek/cyberman battle.

Listening to the commentaries I think alot of this was due to Julie Gardners intervention who personally liked the 'emotional angles'. Her favourite old Who was City of Death with the Tom/Lalla "romance" while she hated Caves of Androzani. She pushes RTD on the 'emtional journies' of each adventure and famously cried reading the Fear Her script as it foreshadowed Rose leaving the Doctor.

With her and RTD gone it does seem that the supertanker is changing direciton. It may take a long time but it will go in a different direction. What is heartening is that Moffat and Smith have a better take of the Doctors character then RTD and Gardner ever did.

Mmm did you watch the Girl in the Fireplace???? That had nothing to do with Julie....and niether did River Song. I remember quite clearly what Moff said about the kiss in TGITF...he said he put it there because he wanted to...and he didn't care what fans thought. And for the last time, Matt isn't ruling out Romance, he is just saying that there doesn't need to be another one between the the Doctor and comapnion, which RTD has already exlplored, and also done one where its' just friendship. As for the whole Jackie/Pte stuff...well even the Classic series had it fair share of small little love stories....watch the Green Death or Inferno...
    Odd to say it, but the examples Broadshoulder gives are examples I like. i hated the cybermen stuff, but the Jackie/Pete scenes are a highpoint. Also, i love Fear Her because it's so smallscale and doesn't have all teh nosie, screaming and CGI of other stories. Fear her feels very fresh and ordinary.

It's not so much "romance" as "snot-n-tears" that has aggravated me, and is part of the reason why the Tenth Doctor is my least favourite. All the crying, "I wuv you Doctor" and "Doctor = Christ" stuff bored the living arse off me. The Jackie/Pete stuff felt quite real in comparison.

How wonderful, though, to NOT have that stuff this time round. Moving the series away from London locations, and dropping the snot-n-tears, has brought the series back to life in the Chuff household.

Its only been three episodes....we didn't have the Tenth Doctor cry untill Doomsday....so don't get on your high horse yet....don't forget that the first time we saw the Tenth Doctor looking a looking a little sad, and a lump in his throat was TGITF....so strange that people have so much selective memory...

As for the Christ thing...that wasn't as existant as people make it out to be....if anything, there is more hero worship in Moff's stories then there are in RTD's stories. For the Latter he explores how the Doctor can easily become a god due to the type of power and intelligence he posseses.....but how that always comes back to bite him in the backside. RTD explores how we as society end up worshiping things that we consider to be better than us....but how they are utimatly very flawed things and don't actually deserve the worship that they get.....just look at ?Voyage of the Damned scene, where a minute ago the Doctor manages to save the entire planet, and yet he can't save Astrid, and part of him wishes that Rickstein had died...is that really Christ like? Juat as Mr Copper points out to him...if he could choose who lives and dies it would make him a monster...he doesn't say that he is like God. While in Moff's stories, the Doctor gets called Lonely Angel, and RIver going on about "that wonderful man" despite the fact that he has trapped her for enternity....compare that with Elton's speech at the end of LAM...where he says that Salvation and Damnation are the same thing...that as great as the Doctor maybe, get too claose and you burn.
    You mean the Aztec woman he befriended, got engaged to by accident as he didn't know the culture, and then ran a mile from?

But there was a part of him that kind of felt for her little bit...even if it was pity...but he did feel some emotion.
  • Options
    JohnFlawbodJohnFlawbod Posts: 4,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not really. Most posters on this board are in relationships and I suspect quite a few are successful with women and just as many are successful with men. So thats rather a spiteful little put down isnt it?
    I think male fans arent keen on the 'romance' is that it wasnt needed for 26 years before.

When every other peirodical, film and TV programme has romance. Sometimes peopled need a break from it. Male/female romances have entered the realm of tired old cliche. They do take time away from the main story. With Army of Ghosts the whole thing came to an awkward juddering halt for ten minutes as Jackie and Pete got together in the middle of a dalek/cyberman battle.

Listening to the commentaries I think alot of this was due to Julie Gardners intervention who personally liked the 'emotional angles'. Her favourite old Who was City of Death with the Tom/Lalla "romance" while she hated Caves of Androzani. She pushes RTD on the 'emtional journies' of each adventure and famously cried reading the Fear Her script as it foreshadowed Rose leaving the Doctor.

With her and RTD gone it does seem that the supertanker is changing direciton. It may take a long time but it will go in a different direction. What is heartening is that Moffat and Smith have a better take of the Doctors character then RTD and Gardner ever did.

Sorry broad, was just rehashing the cliche view that has been the bane of the DW fan for years hence the *grin* - as far as CoD is concerned, dangerous to blur the reality of a "cast romance" with what actually appears in the programme, in my opinion...I haven't heard JG'S comments but I would doubt she was suggesting the stoty itself carried romance between the Doctor and Romana, more likely an enhanced chemistry between the actors.

I tend to agree with those who maintain that so long as the relationship thread in a story/series doesn't become the dominant driving force at the expense of other elements then it hardly matters whether it is there or not over and above personal taste.
  • Options
    ListentomeListentome Posts: 9,804
    Forum Member
    From what Matt says it seems they are focussing on the right things this series. A out and out romance would just come to nothing.

But this is Moffat, so there is bond to be some sort of romantic implication, we're bound to have some pointless snog masked as some sort of genetic transfer. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tanequil wrote: »
    He is alien, she is human it would be like me tackling a goat.

Not quite: it would be like you tackling a goat that looked exactly like a beautiful woman. Although, not being intimately familiar with the precise nature of timelord genitals, I can't comment on the anatomical/experiential similarities.
  • Options
    meglosmurmursmeglosmurmurs Posts: 35,110
    Forum Member
    crazzyaz7 wrote: »
    Just put that post through a translation machine I have handy here...and this is what it said:

Quote:
    damn it I was wrong, I hate being wrong!

:p

Now look who's falling on assumptions. :cool:

I'm not wrong.
    Now if Dr Who had started having muscley guys with machine guns, rock or rap music as background music and women in revealing outfits as a regular theme, then I would complain that they are trying to make Dr Who appeal to a more macho audience.
    But as they've instead added emotional/romantic elements with violin music overwhelming everything, I can only complain that they are trying to make it appeal to a more wussy audience. Bwahahaha!
  • Options
    JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member
    Brings in the girls, right? They want a mixed demographic, not just men.
  • Options
    broadshoulderbroadshoulder Posts: 18,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As for the whole Jackie/Pte stuff...well even the Classic series had it fair share of small little love stories....watch the Green Death or Inferno...

Oh I have seen both adventures and I dont buy it,

Petra and they guys "romance" is a sub-plot. Its an accoutrement to the main terrifying plot. It doesnt stop the traffic like an RTD "romance".And to me its all the more believable for that.Due to the fact that it is underplayed. You actually care about these people when the horrible end plays out. Not because Muirray Gold has smashed you over the head with the violins but because you have shared the adventure with them. There is a massive difference.

With the Green Death. I think the Doctor is saying goodbye to a beloved friend. There is no sense of romance between them. Jo might like Cliff because he reminds her of the Doctor but at no point duirng the film is there any sense of a meeting of hearts on a romantic level - as friends yes, but nothing more despite RTD and his apologists trying to say there is. Its projection on a massive scale.

And that all the claim that the old series had romance is - projection. And quite frankly there were only one or two instances rather then RTD WHo which had Marfa or Rose mooning over the Doctor every other episode or "bint of the week" snogging him (ie Kylie, Zoe Slater).

It is a new invention by RTD and it has worked in many ways as it has drawn many teenage girls and women into the genre but at the same time the Doctor has been too "humanised" under RTD. He's an emo James Bond swanning around the universe with a stream of women lusting after him.

That seems to be changing under Smith and Moffat. Moffat may enjoy abit of romance but it seems Smith has got a grip of the character and will slowly bend him this way.

As for Cameca? Two old people enjoying a chocolate resulting in a cultural misunderstanding? Hardly love story is it?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 142
    Forum Member
    I think it times we had a fulltime male companion like the good olds days when the doctor had a male an female
  • Options
    2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    I would love to see a full time male companion, it's about time!.
    I would also like to see multiple companions, a mixture of the sexes. Who knows? perhaps in the future........or past of course.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Listentome wrote: »
    From what Matt says it seems they are focussing on the right things this series. A out and out romance would just come to nothing.

But this is Moffat, so there is bond to be some sort of romantic implication, we're bound to have some pointless snog masked as some sort of genetic transfer.

Oh moff doesn't need some genetic transfer excuse to put in a kiss...see TGITF;)
    Not quite: it would be like you tackling a goat that looked exactly like a beautiful woman. Although, not being intimately familiar with the precise nature of timelord genitals, I can't comment on the anatomical/experiential similarities.

Quite right....andeven those who feel the likes of Susan and Andred are not exactly Time Lord like the Doctor....they are still alien and therefore the application would be the same as the Doctor falling for a human.
    Now look who's falling on assumptions.

No, its not me...blame my translation machine;)
    I'm not wrong.
    Now if Dr Who had started having muscley guys with machine guns, rock or rap music as background music and women in revealing outfits as a regular theme, then I would complain that they are trying to make Dr Who appeal to a more macho audience.
    But as they've instead added emotional/romantic elements with violin music overwhelming everything, I can only complain that they are trying to make it appeal to a more wussy audience. Bwahahaha

Started???? You have watched the classic show haven't you????

And anyway...calling a percentage of the audience macho is hardly a put down like "hormonila women".....
    And if Voilen Music is for the wussies...well then so are the likes of Star Wars....the music is just there to give it that movie and epic type feeling....even the scary scenes are surrounding by voilins to give it that creepy feeling...see Midnight.....
    Oh I have seen both adventures and I dont buy it,

Petra and they guys "romance" is a sub-plot. Its an accoutrement to the main terrifying plot. It doesnt stop the traffic like an RTD "romance".And to me its all the more believable for that.Due to the fact that it is underplayed. You actually care about these people when the horrible end plays out. Not because Muirray Gold has smashed you over the head with the violins but because you have shared the adventure with them. There is a massive difference.

With the Green Death. I think the Doctor is saying goodbye to a beloved friend. There is no sense of romance between them. Jo might like Cliff because he reminds her of the Doctor but at no point duirng the film is there any sense of a meeting of hearts on a romantic level - as friends yes, but nothing more despite RTD and his apologists trying to say there is. Its projection on a massive scale.

And that all the claim that the old series had romance is - projection. And quite frankly there were only one or two instances rather then RTD WHo which had Marfa or Rose mooning over the Doctor every other episode or "bint of the week" snogging him (ie Kylie, Zoe Slater).

It is a new invention by RTD and it has worked in many ways as it has drawn many teenage girls and women into the genre but at the same time the Doctor has been too "humanised" under RTD. He's an emo James Bond swanning around the universe with a stream of women lusting after him.

That seems to be changing under Smith and Moffat. Moffat may enjoy abit of romance but it seems Smith has got a grip of the character and will slowly bend him this way.

As for Cameca? Two old people enjoying a chocolate resulting in a cultural misunderstanding? Hardly love story is it?

Love stories are not an invention by RTD as much as you may feel they are;)....Yes there is more of it in the new series, I haven't agrgued against that....but I am not the only one to notice that the Third Doctor was a little more than just upset about losing a freind....Moff noticed too. And come on, the scenes where Jo and the Prof are getting a little comfy....the way the Doctor acts is definitely jealousy. Denying it doesn't make it untrue. I will agree that it is much subtle to today's standerds....but it is very much there. And the whole Jackie and Pete stuff...it took as long as the whole Petra scenes...and actually the former was also played for comedy too, And it was pretty much part of the plot, after all do you think that when both parallel world Pete and our Jackie, having lost their retrospective partners...were just going to say "hi" and leave at that? come on....and the opposite could be said about the Petra business....they didn't need the love story, but they put it in. Only because one works better for you and the other doesn't, doesn't mean that is factual as you seem to be suggesting.

And as for the humanising of the Doctor....well Moff also played a part in his stories to do that. If anything RTD never dared to allow the Doctor to ever fully express how he felt, he wasn't able to, he didn't know how to, maybe part of that is his alieness, and part him being a bloke no matter what species;)....but with Moff's stories the Doctor more than acknowledged that he knew Cpt Jack had a little thing for him, he wrote the Doctor as feeling very jealous of the attention Rose was giving Jack, the Doctor enjoyed the kiss with Reinette, and actually snogged her back, which he hasn't done to any other person....all others have been behind some excuse, like genetic transfer, or a goodbye kiss to a dead Astrid. And as for RTD having women lust over the Doctor, again TGITF...and if we want proof from current series, well you have Amy enjoy the show of seeing the Doctor getting undressed. So if Smith and Moff have got the right idea.....they are not doing a very good job of showing it. Just like the Tenth Doctor, even Eleven thinks he is handsome, look at the clip from episode 6 if you don't believe me.

EDIT: wanted to add to the idea of RTD writing women lusting over the Doctor....do people seriously think that Donna had a thing for the Doctor???? Was there some romance there that I seemed to have missed completely??? And why the hell were the women and teenage girls not switching of now that the Doctor and Donna didn't fancy each other???:confused:
    I think it times we had a fulltime male companion like the good olds days when the doctor had a male an female

I'll be happy with that!
  • Options
    Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member

Where did you did nasty stuff about Georgia?? I've never come across anything like that??:confused:

I saw some horrible comments about poor Georgia
    on some Livejournal pages-basically some
    nasty fangirls were laying into her because she was dating
    David Tennant instead of them. I suspect some of these
    fangirls look like Kathy Bates in "Misery". :eek:
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    I suspect some of these

:Dlol:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I saw some horrible comments about poor Georgia
    on some Livejournal pages-basically some
    nasty fangirls were laying into her because she was dating
    David Tennant instead of them. I suspect some of these

the world of LJ is a funny place...after all it was there that people went on a little rampage after COE...and called RTD a homophobe.....well it makes a change to the usual Gay agenda cr*p;)
  • Options
    Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    the world of LJ is a funny place...after all it was there that people went on a little rampage after COE...and called RTD a homophobe.....well it makes a change to the usual Gay agenda cr*p;)

Weren't some gay viewers upset about the way
    Ianto's death was handled, feeling it fell into
    the "gay character always dies" cliche?
    then RTD WHo which had Marfa or Rose mooning over the Doctor every other episode or "bint of the week" snogging him (ie Kylie, Zoe Slater).

I hated the Astrid and Christina characters-I couldn't see
    any reason why the Doctor would fall in love with
    them, and it made the Doctor look like the hero
    of a standard-issue Hollywood blockbuster. At least
    with the TVM and Moffat and Cornell's stories, you could understand why our hero fell in love with the romantic leads in each story.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Weren't some gay viewers upset about the way
    Ianto's death was handled, feeling it fell into
    the "gay character always dies" cliche? .

To tell you the truth I think it was mostly hetrosexual women....

I hated the Astrid and Christina characters-I couldn't see
    any reason why the Doctor would fall in love with
    them, and it made the Doctor look like the hero
    of a standard-issue Hollywood blockbuster. At least
    with the TVM and Moffat and Cornell's stories, you could understand why our hero fell in love with the romantic leads in each story

But the Doctor never fell in love with Astrid or Christina....yes they took a fancy to him....but not him...he just liked them for who they were....just as he liked Donna and Martha. And don't refute with the kiss he gave to Astrid...that was nothing more than a goodbye kiss because of the fat that she was dead, and he couldn't save her....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 103
    Forum Member
    Exactly, he didn't fall in love with Astrid or Christina- He had an appreciation of their female form (presumably they look timelord!) but he wasn't in love with them at all! I can't believe people are so obsessed with the love stories apart from Martha which ws embarrassing :D
  • Options
    KezMKezM Posts: 1,397
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Martha which ws embarrassing :D

What was embarrassing about Martha falling for the Doctor? This heroic guy swans in saves her and her collegues and patients from this exordinary event. An intelligent, witty, knowledgable guy who looks human, what young woman like Martha wouldn't be a little dazzled. He takes her to met Shakespeare for crying out loud and of on these exciting new adventures. The two of them are travelling alone in the TARDIS together and going on adventure where all they've really got to rely on is each other. Travelling with the Doctor comes across as very intense and I'm not surprised Martha was overwhelmed. Then he has this companion he keeps mentioning but never really explains about - I think most women Martha's age would have been a little jealous.

Anyway I guess what I'm trying to say is I liked Martha and the story arc, and thought it produced some really great moment especially in HM/FOB and The last of the TimeLords.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 120
    Forum Member
    I don't know about romance between the Doctor and Amy but I think Matt Smith clearly fancies the pants off of Karen Gillan :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 429
    Forum Member
    I don't know about romance between the Doctor and Amy but I think Matt Smith clearly fancies the pants off of Karen Gillan :D

I think so too:D
  • Options
    NewbieCanuckNewbieCanuck Posts: 6,698
    Forum Member
    and if we want proof from current series, well you have Amy enjoy the show of seeing the Doctor getting undressed.

In the words of Donna Noble, "mad Amy, blind Amy, charity Amy"