Options

Susan Boyle forgetting the words of Mull of Kintyre

Comments

• Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lotty27 wrote: »
    But why? If she wants to and there's people out there who want to hear her? She might have aspergers but she can make her own decisions and must if she's up to it or not? At least I'd hope so and that there's no money-making machine in the background putting pressure on her to do it, that would be awful :( But TBH on the video that's been posted on here I've heard a damn sight worse.

I'm no fan of SuBo's music if she wants to perform and she's not making too big a hash of it I don't see why she shouldn't :confused:

Yes it was the Queen's Jubliee concert. Dear God, that was AWFUL. Out of tune, weedy voice. That 'performance' was an unmitigated disaster! I'd say it was a lot worse than Susan Boyle forgetting a lyric and looking stunned for a few seconds!

It's still on You Tube.:D:D
  • Options
    Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    why has no mentioned the fact that she seem to be doing a weather report while singing

Its at times like this i miss good old Andy Stewart.!!! He even wore a kilt to perform in.

Google him on you tube.:D:D
  • Options
    artlesschaosartlesschaos Posts: 11,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But why? If she wants to and there's people out there who want to hear her? She might have aspergers but she can make her own decisions and must if she's up to it or not? At least I'd hope so and that there's no money-making machine in the background putting pressure on her to do it, that would be awful :( But TBH on the video that's been posted on here I've heard a damn sight worse.

I'm no fan of SuBo's music if she wants to perform and she's not making too big a hash of it I don't see why she shouldn't :confused:

Yes it was the Queen's Jubliee concert. Dear God, that was AWFUL. Out of tune, weedy voice. That 'performance' was an unmitigated disaster! I'd say it was a lot worse than Susan Boyle forgetting a lyric and looking stunned for a few seconds!

Because people were saying that her Aspergers made it more difficult for her.

How anyone can take Cheryl TCF-Whatever seriously as a singer, I'll never know, but not sure what other poor performances have to do with Subo, either.
  • Options
    pollipolli Posts: 2,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Considering the issues she has she is an inspiration .
    Was the start of the song good ? No. But she recovered well and as has been pointed out there are nearly always sound issues at big events .Eurovision is famous for sound errors and of course we had Chezza howling her way through her song at the jubilee gig without ever managing to sound human .
  • Options
    LilaethLilaeth Posts: 750
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My nephew is autistic, and his whole life is spent on the tightrope of getting him to do things that push him just a bit, but don't result in confidence-crushing failures. For him it's sports of all kinds (and he has fantastic natural talent in several sports), for her it's her singing. Anyone going to see Susan, or booking her for a show, knows about her problems - they are well documented. They still seem to think the risk is worth it. If you don't want to see/hear her turn to another channel/don't go to see her. Problem solved. And she was much better than David Bowie was the first time I saw him live, trust me! :D
  • Options
    GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh dear Paddeh :(
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    myscimitar wrote: »
    It not really about the games, more about this over rated so called pro singer, what a mess she made of Mull of Kintyre, she forgot the words at the beginning, was out of tune, and I just don't see a great voice. Why she is a superstar I will never get.

The trouble is, Susan's unstable. She's a great singer when there's not much pressure on her. She had a sort of breakdown after the finish of Britain's Got Talent. Susan shouldn't be put in stressful situations.
  • Options
    Jo MarchJo March Posts: 9,256
    Forum Member
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    No worse than the fright that was Cheryl Cole the other year at some big do. Can't remember if it was the Jubilee bash or what but she was singing with Gary Barlow and was truly dire.
    God, that was awful.
  • Options
    Jo MarchJo March Posts: 9,256
    Forum Member
    I didn't see it live but I've just watched the video that shaddler posted and I don't know what the fuss is about, she came back from her 'hiccup' quite well and got it spot on later in the song. Even the so-called 'greats' have forgotten their lines. I once read somewhere that Barbra Streisand constantly forgets her lyrics and has to be prompted! Not sure if that's true or an urban myth though :D

People who like Susan Boyle know she has aspergers so are more forgiving than they perhaps would normally be which I think is nice.

It was a huge occasion for Susan, she knew that millions would be watching around the world so if she was extra nervous I for one don't blame her!
    I wholeheartedly agree. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    codeblue wrote: »
    She is an "ok" classical singer with some clear issues.

Her "story" has made her famous, exploited shamelessly for money by certain people.

This. Couldn't agree more.
  • Options
    GroundhogalGroundhogal Posts: 9,495
    Forum Member
    How anyone can forget the opening line to this extremely well known song I don't know. She was also definitely out of tune.

We used to sing it at school when it was number one.

Mull of Kintyre
    My arse is on fire
    Oh Mull of Kintyre

:kitty:
  • Options
    milliejomilliejo Posts: 2,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think all of us prefer to her Susan Boyle sing Mull Of Kintyre despite forgetting the first words, to Macca who has lost his voice.
    The problem with Susan Boyles isn't just she has Asperger's it is the fact that it was undiagnosed and she went through life thinking she is just stupid and was horribly bullied.
  • Options
    Fadge1968Fadge1968 Posts: 431
    Forum Member
    Its at times like this i miss good old Andy Stewart.!!! He even wore a kilt to perform in.

Google him on you tube.:D:D

Donald, where's yer troosers. Ah, I loved Thingamyjig:o
  • Options
    Ella71110Ella71110 Posts: 4,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lilaeth wrote: »
    My nephew is autistic, and his whole life is spent on the tightrope of getting him to do things that push him just a bit, but don't result in confidence-crushing failures. For him it's sports of all kinds (and he has fantastic natural talent in several sports), for her it's her singing. Anyone going to see Susan, or booking her for a show, knows about her problems - they are well documented. They still seem to think the risk is worth it. If you don't want to see/hear her turn to another channel/don't go to see her. Problem solved. And she was much better than David Bowie was the first time I saw him live, trust me! :D

Good for him -your nephew excelling in sports,
    I like Susan Boyle I am intrigued to watch her as I love her story of how she has lived her life always thinking she was different,being bullied all her life and her thinking until recently that she had brain damage,
    She's so popular around the World in China and Japan even the USA love her,because to them as fans she is just a quiet,shy woman who is different to anyone they've seen in a long while and that's why I like her too,
    I read her autobiography and was amazed at just how much has happened to her since BGT and what happened to her afterwards that made her break down and be taken in the priory,
    Anyway I won't go on as I'm aware there's not a huge fan base here but I'm just pleased for her that doing something she loves has set her up for life -it can't be bad ;)
  • Options
    grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    I watched some of her performance on YT and she was definitely out of time, she was off key in the song as well. I know everyone makes mistakes or has a bad day at the office, as it were but that was poor.
  • Options
    Evo102Evo102 Posts: 13,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Valerian wrote: »
    I saw Rod Stewart pointing off stage to his earpiece as if there was a problem with the sound. They all did pretty well if there were problems on the night.

Yes it was my assumption that that was the problem with the start of Susan Boyle's performance. I recall a similar thing happening with Paul Mccartney at the Olympics.
  • Options
    codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Evo102 wrote: »
    Yes it was my assumption that that was the problem with the start of Susan Boyle's performance. I recall a similar thing happening with Paul Mccartney at the Olympics.

now that was absolutely terrible.

he continued out of tune and time for the whole song!
  • Options
    davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    codeblue wrote: »
    now that was absolutely terrible.

he continued out of tune and time for the whole song!

and he continued and he continued and he continued. God, how long did he sing for.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    myscimitar wrote: »
    It not really about the games, more about this over rated so called pro singer, what a mess she made of Mull of Kintyre, she forgot the words at the beginning, was out of tune, and I just don't see a great voice. Why she is a superstar I will never get.
    Singing `Mull of Kintyre` even if out of tune & forgetting some of the words they still paid her `Lots of Money` instead of you.
    Is that why your so envious.
    :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 205
    Forum Member
    I disagree strongly with any posts labelling her as barmy. She viewed performing live as a challenge she should overcome, I remember from watching a docu about her, and good for her at challenging herself despite having aspergers, and for being herself. She's had such a tough life, and brings a wonderful voice and a new perspective to the stage.

I'm sure through her albums she is a real inspiration to others suffering aspergers or other conditions also, but I do worry that performing live is too much of a strain for her and ends up working against her (with people criticising), stressing her out more. I wonder if releasing albums and being on chat shows, and singing appearances pre-recorded, might be a much happier road for her. And I do feel sorry for those attending events, who end up nervous for her or not really enjoying the show.

She's entirely free to do as she wishes, but I worry she might be being pushed too far by some, in a way that doesn't support her wellbeing, or that she's being allowed to be a bit too headstrong while not realising the harm she could be doing to herself. I think the last thing she needs is to keep making mistakes performing live, and she may need to at some point accept she stepped up to the challenge, did some live performances, but it's best to not keep that as a way of life.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I disagree strongly with any posts labelling her as barmy. She viewed performing live as a challenge she should overcome, I remember from watching a docu about her, and good for her at challenging herself despite having aspergers, and for being herself. She's had such a tough life, and brings a wonderful voice and a new perspective to the stage.

I'm sure through her albums she is a real inspiration to others suffering aspergers or other conditions also, but I do worry that performing live is too much of a strain for her and ends up working against her (with people criticising), stressing her out more. I wonder if releasing albums and being on chat shows, and singing appearances pre-recorded, might be a much happier road for her. And I do feel sorry for those attending events, who end up nervous for her or not really enjoying the show.

She's entirely free to do as she wishes, but I worry she might be being pushed too far by some, in a way that doesn't support her wellbeing, or that she's being allowed to be a bit too headstrong while not realising the harm she could be doing to herself. I think the last thing she needs is to keep making mistakes performing live, and she may need to at some point accept she stepped up to the challenge, did some live performances, but it's best to not keep that as a way of life.

I definitely think that'll be the case. Susan's not stable enough to be able to handle pressure. She showed signs of a breakdown or whatever on the final night of Britain's Got Talent back then. Susan needs to be in as much of a stress free environment as possible, while still making enough money for her label.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    zx50 wrote: »
    I definitely think that'll be the case. Susan's not stable enough to be able to handle pressure. She showed signs of a breakdown or whatever on the final night of Britain's Got Talent back then. Susan needs to be in as much of a stress free environment as possible, while still making enough money for her label.

Yes, I agree. I really worry for her. Sadly, it's fodder for media if she 'meets challenges' and gets notes wrong, and I think people are seeing £-signs more than concern for her well being.

Adam Young (Owl City) has aspergers also, but he has very strong constant family support and community, which seems to really work for him. He also is part of a band, and worked steadily for many years before becoming famous, too. Susan was suddenly in the limelight, alone. Even in the documentary I watched, her fragility and need for support were so obvious.

I didn't recall any family being mentioned in the documentary, so just quickly googled and this came up first ... http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/susan-boyle-millions-fame-torn-2989597 ... sadly, she's far too vulnerable in her private life as well.
  • Options
    twellstwells Posts: 1,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I agree. I really worry for her. Sadly, it's fodder for media if she 'meets challenges' and gets notes wrong, and I think people are seeing £-signs more than concern for her well being.

Adam Young (Owl City) has aspergers also, but he has very strong constant family support and community, which seems to really work for him. He also is part of a band, and worked steadily for many years before becoming famous, too. Susan was suddenly in the limelight, alone. Even in the documentary I watched, her fragility and need for support were so obvious.

I didn't recall any family being mentioned in the documentary, so just quickly googled and this came up first ... http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/susan-boyle-millions-fame-torn-2989597 ... sadly, she's far too vulnerable in her private life as well.

I don't think Gerry Boyle will be selling any more of his embroidered stories to the Mirror. If you're really interested in Gerry Boyle, look up Douglas Walker's stories in the Scottish Sun.

Happily Susan Boyle is surrounded professionally by some of the nicest people in the business. That's to include her long time manager, her 2 PAs, her creative director and the music director for her tours and even her sound man.

She shouldn't appear in these arena ceremonial events. I do think she finds then intimidating. She's terrific in the medium size theaters on her tours. Very warm, very funny, and she sings a 24 song set beautifully. Plus, plays a bit of piano and does a couple of duets with the guy who is her support act and with one of her back up singers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    twells wrote: »
    I don't think Gerry Boyle will be selling any more of his embroidered stories to the Mirror. If you're really interested in Gerry Boyle, look up Douglas Walker's stories in the Scottish Sun.

Happily Susan Boyle is surrounded professionally by some of the nicest people in the business. That's to include her long time manager, her 2 PAs, her creative director and the music director for her tours and even her sound man.

She shouldn't appear in these arena ceremonial events. I do think she finds then intimidating. She's terrific in the medium size theaters on her tours. Very warm, very funny, and she sings a 24 song set beautifully. Plus, plays a bit of piano and does a couple of duets with the guy who is her support act and with one of her back up singers.

Thanks twells :-) Really glad to hear she has great support, and I'm glad there won't be any more embroidered stories too. I agree the bigger events are too much. Would be great if she would stay with the medium size theatres instead. Her voice is beautiful, and the most important thing is that she enjoys her talent and fame.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be fair, she hasn't been around a long time, she's going to make mistakes, a few hiccups along the line.
    Can't really condemn her for that. I probably wouldn't buy anything like a CD but good luck to her.
    And also I'm a big Rod Stewart fan, but would never buy a ticket to see him again. Was very disappointed in his performance and that's the way life goes, I still say good luck to him.