Humax 9200T automatically switching itself off at midnight

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 298
Forum Member
I had the "your box will go into standby in 1 minute" warnig message again at midnight last night.

I was recording two programs, one from the EPG and one was an instant recording. Everything was fine, but then at midnight the message came up warning me that the box was gonna power down in one minute, and did I want to continue viewing.

I am wondering if this bug is only seen if you are recording with both tuners during midnight. I'll try tonight and see if I get the problem when recording two progs over midnight.

For those that didn't see the original posts, we have already tried to make sure auto-standby option is disabled in the menu. We have also tried adjusting the auto-standby time to something other than 00:00, as well as disabling the auto-standby after a different time is selected. It seems the message is still (on occassions) displayed at midnight.

Have also tried resetting the box to defaults as suggested by the Humax auto-response but this obviously hasn't helped.

Maybe everyone that has seen this problem could post in this thread, with details of what they were doing each time they saw the message. Maybe those who have never had this message before could try to record two progs over midnight and see if you also get this message.

Comments

• youngbazyoungbaz Posts: 313
    Forum Member
    sdesign wrote:
    I had the "your box will go into standby in 1 minute" warnig message again at midnight last night.

Presumably you ignored the message? And the box didn't go into standby? And the screen message was not recorded onto the prog you were recording? If 'Yes' to all three above - are you bovvered? (Apologies to Catherine Tait)

I've also had messages flash really quickly onto the screen to do with ' a reserved recording is about to happen' (disappears far too quickly to read it!) but ... 'If it ain't broke; don't fix it!'

Barry
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 298
    Forum Member
    youngbaz wrote:
    Presumably you ignored the message? And the box didn't go into standby? And the screen message was not recorded onto the prog you were recording? If 'Yes' to all three above - are you bovvered? (Apologies to Catherine Tait)

Of course I'm bothered. The box automatically turns itself off at midnight. Why on earth would I want it to do that? For a start if you're not in the room and it switches to standby you will lose your 2 hour buffer, and then the EPG will have to repopulate when you switch the unit back on.

Electrical equipment automatically switching itself in or out of standby is a serious problem....in this case it can probably be fixed by a software update but if my new stereo or television started automatically turned itself off at midday every day I would take it back and get a refund. Exactly what I'll do with the 9200T if it isn't fixed in the next software update.

Humax seem powerless to help, as their only reply has been to reset the box to default (yes, the auto-response!) which of course didn't help so I only hope they take the bug report seriously and look into it.
    Forum Member
    sdesign wrote:
    Of course I'm bothered. The box automatically turns itself off at midnight. Why on earth would I want it to do that? For a start if you're not in the room and it switches to standby you will lose your 2 hour buffer, and then the EPG will have to repopulate when you switch the unit back on.
    youngbaz wrote:
    Presumably you ignored the message? And the box didn't go into standby? And the screen message was not recorded onto the prog you were recording? If 'Yes' to all three above - are you bovvered?

I only asked if you were bovvered if you'd answered 'Yes' to all three Q's! :) What was your answer to Q2? If you've disabled the auto-off feature, do you know that it still powers off at midnight if you ignore the message?
    Forum Member
    youngbaz wrote:
    I only asked if you were bovvered if you'd answered 'Yes' to all three Q's! :) What was your answer to Q2? If you've disabled the auto-off feature, do you know that it still powers off at midnight if you ignore the message?

I reported my findings to Humax, hopefully they'll look into it.
  • brian9200Tbrian9200T Posts: 585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sdesign wrote:

I was recording two programs, one from the EPG and one was an instant recording. Everything was fine, but then at midnight the message came up warning me that the box was gonna power down in one minute, and did I want to continue viewing.

I am wondering if this bug is only seen if you are recording with both tuners during midnight. I'll try tonight and see if I get the problem when recording two progs over midnight.

For those that didn't see the original posts, we have already tried to make sure auto-standby option is disabled in the menu. We have also tried adjusting the auto-standby time to something other than 00:00, as well as disabling the auto-standby after a different time is selected. It seems the message is still (on occassions) displayed at midnight.

Have also tried resetting the box to defaults as suggested by the Humax auto-response but this obviously hasn't helped.

Maybe everyone that has seen this problem could post in this thread, with details of what they were doing each time they saw the message. Maybe those who have never had this message before could try to record two progs over midnight and see if you also get this message.

You might find my new FAQ thread useful

Q0018:
    New box switches itself off at midnight.

A: A couple of nights ago I had the weird turning off at midnight thing while watching a recording, so I've set the auto off to 0300 and then disabled it again. That seems to have worked.(David March Post 1990 to Barry’forum.)
    Forum Member
    brian9200T wrote:
    You might find my new FAQ thread useful

Q0018:

A: A couple of nights ago I had the weird turning off at midnight thing while watching a recording, so I've set the auto off to 0300 and then disabled it again. That seems to have worked.(David March Post 1990 to Barry’forum.)

That doesn't work.
  • brian9200Tbrian9200T Posts: 585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sdesign wrote:
    That doesn't work.

Thanks, I will take it off the next edition of the list.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22
    Forum Member
    wrote:
    Q0018:

sdesign wrote:
    That doesn't work.

Yes, discovered that last night while watching a recording and the little message appeared again at midnight!
    Forum Member
    Yes, discovered that last night while watching a recording and the little message appeared again at midnight!

Sorry to harp on about this but ... and assuming the auto turn-off has been disabled ...

If it's just an on-screen message and, if you ignore it, nothing happens (ie the box does not go into standby as threatened), then what's the issue? I've not yet seen any posts from anyone saying that the box has actually powered itself off at midnight when auto-turn-off has been disbled! To me, momentary (sorry, 'momentous'!) on-screen messages which don't actually do anything are not something that the Mr Fixits at Humax should be prioritising. However, if the box actually did turn into a pumpkin ...

Barry
    Forum Member
    youngbaz wrote:
    Sorry to harp on about this but ... and assuming the auto turn-off has been disabled ...

If it's just an on-screen message and, if you ignore it, nothing happens (ie the box does not go into standby as threatened), then what's the issue? I've not yet seen any posts from anyone saying that the box has actually powered itself off at midnight when auto-turn-off has been disbled! To me, momentary (sorry, 'momentous'!) on-screen messages which don't actually do anything are not something that the Mr Fixits at Humax should be prioritising. However, if the box actually did turn into a pumpkin ...

Barry

Whether it should be top of the list or bottom is besides the point. Infact, the problems with the power ON/OFF are much larger than just seeing the message.

For example, for those that have seen the messages, I would advise you to try a little test. You can do it right now. Go and set the power ON to 2 minutes time and then the power OFF to 4 minutes time. Then put the box into standby. I bet your bottom dollar that your box will not turn itself ON or OFF at the specified times.

So, if you have the 'box trying to turn itself off at midnight' problem, you might also find that none of the auto-standby features work.

This bug needs to be looked at.
    Forum Member
    sdesign wrote:
    Whether it should be top of the list or bottom is besides the point. Infact, the problems with the power ON/OFF are much larger than just seeing the message.

For example, for those that have seen the messages, I would advise you to try a little test. You can do it right now. Go and set the power ON to 2 minutes time and then the power OFF to 4 minutes time. Then put the box into standby. I bet your bottom dollar that your box will not turn itself ON or OFF at the specified times.

So, if you have the 'box trying to turn itself off at midnight' problem, you might also find that none of the auto-standby features work.

This bug needs to be looked at.

You still haven't answered my question!!

If you have disabled the auto power-off, assuming you ignore the on-screen message and do nothing does the box actually power itself off at midnight or not? :confused: Only if it does power itself off when you don't want it to is this a functionality issue!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 360
    Forum Member
    From my experience the answer is Yes it switches off.

I've set mine to switch off at 1:30am and it does. Is set this because it did the midnight switch off - despite power off being disabled, although I had enabled power on.
    I wonder if enabling power on actually also enables power off even though it says disabled? :confused:
    Forum Member
    cjuk wrote:
    From my experience the answer is Yes it switches off.

I've set mine to switch off at 1:30am and it does. Is set this because it did the midnight switch off - despite power off being disabled, although I had enabled power on.
    I wonder if enabling power on actually also enables power off even though it says disabled? :confused:

Thanks for that CJ! You obviously didn't get where you are today without being able to home in on a crucial parameter which hasn't been mentioned up until now. :)

I think you might well be right ... It hadn't occurred to me that when peeps were saying they'd 'disabled auto-power off' they had, as it were, only half disabled it. Of course I can see why you might want power on enabled and power off disabled, but that's not the issue.

Now, I'm not a computer programmer (and several others on this thread will be able to progress this with more authority than I) but I suspect that, in layman's language, the box is saying: 'Hey, I'm being asked to power on at 6.30am (or whenever); I can't do that if I'm not powered off; therefore I'd best do that at the last opportunity - ie midnight on the day before - so I can obey the instruction.' Have you tested what happens if you disable both on and off? Do you still get the message?

Given that I can see why you might want power on enabled and power off disabled, if the problem only arises when this pairing is enacted, the answer is probably pretty straightforward logic for the programmers - they just need an additional 'if' parameter in the power on instructions (ie if power off is disabled, and box has not been manually powered off at the clock time of the power on instruction, do not change power status - sorry for non-techie-speak but I hope you can see what I mean?)
    Forum Member
    youngbaz wrote:
    Do you still get the message?

Yes, the message still appears.