FAQ (Some of them)

Comments

• brian9200Tbrian9200T Posts: 585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ooops!

Although the latest answers above are complete I left some questions off the list at the top.

The whole current list of questions is given here.
    Refer to post 50 for answers to 1-20
    Refer to post 51 for answers to 21-42.
    Contents
    Q0001: How do I record a series on weekdays only?
    Q0002. How do I get the buttons on the navigation bar to work as per GB36?
    Q0003: How to I quickly get to the start of a recording?

Q0004: How to I workaround the limit of 20 timers?
    Q0005: The machine takes a long time to come out of standby and sometimes has problems when it does.
    Q0006: How do I record the program I have already been watching up to 2 hours as long as no more than 2 programs will be recorded simultaneously as a result?/ Instant Recording Page GB31 of User Manual.

Q0007: How do I get it working when it is locked up with a frozen picture?
    Q0008: How do I get information about the next programme quickly?
    Q0009: The ‘Edit’ function (User Manual GB36 & 7) can split a recorded programme. Why would I want to do that?

Q0010: What is the best way to select and playback a recorded programme?
    Q0011: The cover over the lower buttons of the remote control gets in the way sometimes?
    Q0012: Why does the spec suggest that the VCR/DVD Player Scart is not a means of input?

Q0013: What does the ‘Source’ button do?
    Q0014: How can I make it easier to read the Program Names on the ‘recorded programmes list?
    Q0015: How can I see what programs are being recorded while watching a live program?

Q0016: All my TV or all my Radio recordings are missing when I …Menu>Recordings>Recorded Programmes?
    Q0017:For quite a few channels ( mostly bbc) there are two channels in the program list, not that it is a problem, the only niggle is that the weaker of the two has took up residence in the place where I would of expected the stronger of the two to be EG BBC1 is on 800 and 1 I live in Yorkshire and the main transmitter is Emley Moor yet it is the Bilsdale tx that occupiesa channel 1 and this channel is totally un-viewable!!!
    Q0018:New box switches itself off at midnight.

Q0019: I've got the aerial cable looped through, so out of the wall socket, into the 9200T and then out of there into the TV.
    Now I noticed that when I'm watching via the Scart on AV1 on my TV that I see what's going on on another terrestrial channel. If I unplug the RF loop then it goes away.
    Q0020: Where does it get its software updates and EPG info from? Is it another 4tv based machine?
    Q0021: Which channel is my Humax picking its signal up from for example BBC1?

Q0022: Transfer of recorded programmes to the PC via USB does not seem to work properly.
    Q0023: How to start watching, from the beginning, a program that is being recorded...as long as it is the only one being recorded at that time.
    Q0024: What is the point in contacting Humax when many other people have the same problem?

Q0025: The only missed recordings I have had (2 of them)…
    Q0026: Fitting a bigger Hard Drive/Problems transferring to /from a PC.
    See: http://www.pvruk.com/2004/04/humax_pvr8000t_.html
    Q0027: I set timers for two consecutive programmes on the same channel and padded them. The second did not record.

Q0028: One way to play a recording transferred from Humax to PC.
    Q0029: A recorded tv programme file transferred from the Humax to a PC has no file type. What suffix should I add?
    Q0030: Strange icon. This particular icon is more misunderstood than most.
    In the date box on the RECORDED PROGRAMME screen for one recording there is an unusual icon for which I can find no reference in the manual. It is a yellow box, overlaid at the bottom left hand side with a green oval. Inside the oval is a white rectangle (landscape orientation)

Q0031: Some options are greyed out on menus.
    Q0032: What all-in-one remotes work with the 9200T
    Q0033: Help with all-in-one learning function.

Q0034: The 9200 fails to record scheduled radio programmes if the unit is left in standby.
    Q0035: No sound on some recordings
    Q0036: How do I know if I am running out of disk space?

Q0037: When will Humax release an update to the software?
    Q0038: Where is the the best place for new questions?
    Q0039: "channel viewing restricted by recording" message
    If you can record two channels and watch another; why is it that sometimes when I'm recording two channels I can't watch certain other channels. Eg I was recording ITV1 and BBC2 last night at the same time and could watch BBCs1,2,3 ITV1,2 C4 but not BBC4, ITVs3,4 and C5 - for those channels an on screen message said or something like that.(Source:Post 40 by jonjoe to FAQ thread.)

Q0040: When I prss Playlist it only shows Video recordings.
    Q0041: Recording stops halfway through the programme.
    Q0042: How do I get rid of wavy lines on analogue Channel 5?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,528
    Forum Member
    Brian,

If you want some web space I've got loads - now it's getting so big it really WOULD make sense to keep it in a fixed place and update it there rather than making long posts like those ones above.

Cliff

(oh and using proper HTML you can "fancy it up" a bit like putting the Q's in bold and stuff - I know you can do that here but it's a lot easier in HTML as there are some good HTML editors - even Microsoft Word if nothing else!)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CJL wrote:
    Brian,

If you want some web space I've got loads - now it's getting so big it really WOULD make sense to keep it in a fixed place and update it there rather than making long posts like those ones above.

Cliff

(oh and using proper HTML you can "fancy it up" a bit like putting the Q's in bold and stuff - I know you can do that here but it's a lot easier in HTML as there are some good HTML editors - even Microsoft Word if nothing else!)

Thanks for the offer, I will keep it in mind. I have my own website of 30mb free with my ISP but they might want to charge if there is high traffic. I just use Microsoft Word for editing and WS_FTP for uploading.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Additions to FAQs Q0043 to Q0047 Please advise any errors or omissions therein on this thread.

Q0043: Effect of lost aerial signal on recording.
    A0043: After losing half of a recording I did a test to see if there was no signal, whether recording would continue or stop.
    I found that the recording does continue but on playing back instead of having a blank screen it joins together what recording there is before and after the signal was lost. Doesn't explain why my recording stopped half way through the program though!
    Originally Posted by brittonc to Barry’s ‘Freeview PVR…’ thread

Q0044: Instant Recording Problems
    A0044: When you first press Instant Record the on-screen i-bar indicates the starting time and ending time of the recording. If the i-bar isn't on screen for long enough for you to catch this you can adjust the time it stays visible (in preferences I think) - I've lengthened mine to 10secs. Whilst the i-bar is visible it's fairly intuitive to add mins to its scheduled end time.(Source Youngbaz post 2141 to Barry’s ‘Freeview PVR thread 10NOV2005)
    It is important to check what the bar says immediately as there are many ways to get it wrong and you can then correct it.

Q0045: Recorded programmes with dates in the future (Posted by South.)
    A0045: It is a known problem. Humax are aware, and will be addressed in a future update.(Posted by Barry)

Q0046: My Media E Linker software is not 2.1
    A0046: There are two 'setup.exe' programs on the CD that I got with the 9200t.

'setup.exe' & 'Media eLinker Setup.exe'

If you installed using 'Media eLinker Setup.exe' you will end up with version 1.00

Using 'Setup.exe' you'll have version 2.1

If you have v 1.00 installed (Click on the ‘About’ drop-down menu at top of window.) I would recommend that you uninstall that before trying to install 2.1:
    Go to C:\Program Files\Humax Digital\Media eLinker and double-click on 'uninstall'.
    This will remove the .Dll & .Sys files installed by the 1.00 version.
    Now run 'Setup' from the CD (NOT 'Media eLinker Setup.exe')

(Post 341 by Phew to Crowsmilings Using with…a PC thread.)

Q0047 : How do I transfer a file to my PC?
    A0047 : (It is known that errors will be present in the output which won’t normally affect playback.)

Preparation
    Install Humax Media Elinker (MEL) software and USB driver from CD supplied by Humax. (See instructions in cover insert.)
    ( When you first run it click on the ‘About’ dropdown menu at the top to check the version. If it is not 2.1 then see FAQ Q0046.

Install codec (Free of charge) to allow Windows Media Player to play ‘MPEG Transport Stream’ type files (File type ‘.TS’):-
    - Go to web site:- http://www.dvbportal.de/projects/hdtvpump/
    - Add it to your favourites in case you need it again.
    - Download ‘hdtvpump’ and a folder will appear on your desktop. (hdtvpump-setup-1.0.7.zip)
    - Open the folder and you will find that the files are in fact unzipped).
    - Read the readme.txt.
    - Double click on the .exe file and it will install codec required. (Windows Media Player should now be able to play .TS files ( and .tp files). The first time it will ask you to confirm that you want it to try. You can set a flag in the message box to stop it asking you again.)

Transfer
    - Connect 9200T to PC using a USB lead. (PC recognises new hardware.)
    - Run Media Elinker from Start Program list or shortcut. (Window will appear with PC folder structure on left and Humax Folder on right. Can be navigated much same as a PC directory. The Humax folder will not show the contents till you have made the USB connection in the next step.)
    - Click on the dropdown menu ‘About’. (The version number should be shown and should be at least 2.1. Acknowledgments to windsurf123.)
    - Click on ‘Connect’ button in top LH corner. (PC is now connected to 9200T. Icon on connect button now has a big X meaning that if pressed now it will disconnect 9200T from PC. Right hand side of window now shows contents of 9200T’s D1 folder
    - Click on the dropdown box and select D2. (Now lists the TV programs you have recorded.)
    - In LH side of window navigate to the folder on the PC to which you wish to transfer the file. I went to ‘Desktop’ via ‘C:>Documents and settings>Brian>Desktop.
    - In right hand window click on the file you wish to transfer. (It becomes highlighted.)
    - Click on the button in the centre labelled ‘<<’. (A box will appear showing progress then the File name appears in list on LH side of window. A log at bottom of window records actions you have taken.)

- Shut down Media Elinker by clicking on X in top rh corner of window. (Window closes.)

- The transferred file should now be on your desktop. The name is not user-friendly and has no file type. Rename it with a user-friendly name and give it a suffix ‘.ts’. The file is technically an mpeg transport stream. For example if it was a countdown TV programme you could rename it countdown.ts

- Right-click on the countdown.ts file and say you want to open it with Windows Media Player. Also click the box to say you want all .ts files opened with Windows media Player. The first time WMP will ask you in a message box to confirm that you want it to try to read the file which it says it does not recognise. Say yes. You can set a flag in the message box to stop it asking you again. (WMP plays the TV Program!)

- If you want to put the TV program on DVD as a .ts file then you only have to burn it to DVD as with any other PC file. However though you can now play that DVD on your PC like any PC video file, it will not play on most DVD players. That hopefully will be the subject of another FAQ.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 90
    Forum Member
    brian9200T wrote:
    FAQ’s …some of them. Second edition including the first.

Q0006: How do I record the program I have already been watching up to 2 hours?
    A0006: Press PLAY twice to go to start of program then press RECORD button.

Hi excellent posting. 2 queries though :

Q6 - Pressing play twice whilst playing a recording takes me back to the begginning, but watching live does not seem to work - I have to rewind to start and then hit record. Is this correct or do I have a fault? :confused:

A general query also. Many posts advise leaving the box on in order to keep the EPG populated. Not an issue for me as mine takes about 3 minutes to load the mainstream channels (1,2,3,4 etc) which I mainly watch.

My concern though is that if I did leave the box on 24/7, the HD is working 24/7 buffering, presumably shortening its life.

I know many PC's operate 24/7, however the HD is only accessed when required. Anyone else see this as an issue?

Regards
    Derek
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    brian9200T wrote:
    Q0046: My Media E Linker software is not 2.1
    A0046: There are two 'setup.exe' programs on the CD that I got with the 9200t.

'setup.exe' & 'Media eLinker Setup.exe'

If you installed using 'Media eLinker Setup.exe' you will end up with version 1.00

Using 'Setup.exe' you'll have version 2.1

If you have v 1.00 installed (Click on the ‘About’ drop-down menu at top of window.) I would recommend that you uninstall that before trying to install 2.1:
    Go to C:\Program Files\Humax Digital\Media eLinker and double-click on 'uninstall'.
    This will remove the .Dll & .Sys files installed by the 1.00 version.
    Now run 'Setup' from the CD (NOT 'Media eLinker Setup.exe')

Hi, I have a question about this. I don't have a "Media eLinker Setup.exe" on my CD, just a setup.exe and that seems to install version 1.0. Has my 9200T come with the wrong CD? The setup.exe file is 157K and has a modified date of 23 July 2004.

I eventually got around the problem by downloading eLinker 2.0 from the Humax site but if there's a 2.1 out there it would be nice to get that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Derek S wrote:

A general query also. Many posts advise leaving the box on in order to keep the EPG populated. Not an issue for me as mine takes about 3 minutes to load the mainstream channels (1,2,3,4 etc) which I mainly watch.

My concern though is that if I did leave the box on 24/7, the HD is working 24/7 buffering, presumably shortening its life.

I know many PC's operate 24/7, however the HD is only accessed when required. Anyone else see this as an issue?

Regards
    Derek

Someone else, I am afraid I did not note who, gave the opinion that more wear occurred powering the hard drive off and on than leaving it running. Certainly this is true of much electronic equipment as it expands and contracts at this time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Derek S wrote:

Q6 - Pressing play twice whilst playing a recording takes me back to the begginning, but watching live does not seem to work - I have to rewind to start and then hit record. Is this correct or do I have a fault? :confused:

Regards
    Derek
    I made a mistake in Q0006 and revised it. See post 26 on this thread. It is as you say.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nutso wrote:
    Hi, I have a question about this. I don't have a "Media eLinker Setup.exe" on my CD, just a setup.exe and that seems to install version 1.0. Has my 9200T come with the wrong CD? The setup.exe file is 157K and has a modified date of 23 July 2004.

I eventually got around the problem by downloading eLinker 2.0 from the Humax site but if there's a 2.1 out there it would be nice to get that.

Mine is definitely 2.1 copyright 2004 according to box displayed when I click on the 'About' dropdown menu of Media elinker.

I purchased my box from Comet warehouse & it was delivered 25Oct.

Phone Humax support who I would expect to give you a download address as per insert in my installation CD cover page 2. I have been unable to access the site www.humaxdigital.com but you may be luckier. It asks me to register and log in but ignores my attempts to login.
    Please post the result here.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    The humaxdigital.com support section doesn't list the 9200T. Just the 9100 which is apparently a Satellite box but still lists eLinker software.. but that's version 2.0. setup.exe modified date is 15/4/2005.

My 9200T came from Turbosat on 4th November.. definitely not their first batch. Actually.. looking closer at the CD and the case, they both say PVR-9100. Looks like I definitely got the wrong CD. Strange.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nutso wrote:
    The humaxdigital.com support section doesn't list the 9200T. Just the 9100 which is apparently a Satellite box but still lists eLinker software.. but that's version 2.0. setup.exe modified date is 15/4/2005.

My 9200T came from Turbosat on 4th November.. definitely not their first batch. Actually.. looking closer at the CD and the case, they both say PVR-9100. Looks like I definitely got the wrong CD. Strange.

The case of my 2.1 CD makes no mention of its Media Elinker version number or of the Humax Model number so it would be easy to mix them up.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Addition to FAQs

Q0048 : Problem when recording channels from Multiplex 2(Post 261 to this thread by Taralabradog.)
    (Problems with sound have been posted to two other threads in particular ‘Replicable No Sound..’ and ‘ No sound on recordings’)

A0048 :I received this reply from Humax today.

Dear Customer,

Thank you for your email and I apologise for the delay.

We have found there is a problem when recording channels from Multiplex 2, we are currently investigating this issue and do intend to release a software fix.

If you require any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me.

Best Regards

Michael Caughey

Note: Channels on Multiplex 2 as posted by Spoon261

Multiplex 2

ITV1 3
    Channel 4 4
    ITV2 6
    ITV3 10
    More 4 13
    E4 14
    UKTV Food 29
    ITV4 30
    British Eurosport 33
    Quiz Call 37
    ITV News Channel 81
    Bloomberg 84
    Teletext 100
    Teletext TV Guide 101
    Teletext Cars 103
    Teletext on 4 104
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 202
    Forum Member
    No offence, but that's the most unreadable FAQ I've ever seen. A waste of a rare sticky.

You're doing good work but please take some advice from other members and make a few changes. A FAQ is no good if it's too difficult to read.

It's easy enough to keep this sticky and post a link like done with the excellent Emsee's site (although something simpler is fine).

MSWord lets you save as .html so it's shouldn't be a problem with something like this (took me 2mins). When you go to save the document and it says 'Save as file type', the drop down menu gives .html options. You can add a few images too by going to Insert/Picture/From File in Word.

If Brian doesn't want to do this (he doesn't seem to) then I see nothing wrong in someone else helping readers of this forum and doing their own FAQ and posting a link. Maybe a PDF would be a good idea?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rayon wrote:
    No offence, but that's the most unreadable FAQ I've ever seen. A waste of a rare sticky.

You're doing good work but please take some advice from other members and make a few changes. A FAQ is no good if it's too difficult to read.

It's easy enough to keep this sticky and post a link like done with the excellent Emsee's site (although something simpler is fine).

MSWord lets you save as .html so it's shouldn't be a problem with something like this (took me 2mins). When you go to save the document and it says 'Save as file type', the drop down menu gives .html options. You can add a few images too by going to Insert/Picture/From File in Word.

If Brian doesn't want to do this (he doesn't seem to) then I see nothing wrong in someone else helping readers of this forum and doing their own FAQ and posting a link. Maybe a PDF would be a good idea?

No offence taken. I think it is pretty good progress in 10 days. Competition welcome.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 202
    Forum Member
    brian9200T wrote:
    Competition welcome.

It's got nothing to do with competition. FAQs are meant to help people.

Hopefully someone will unravel the mess on this sticky.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 142
    Forum Member
    yes why is this a sticky if the author - Brian - isn't able to somehow simply edit or repost his first thread. Although Brians FAQs have helped me on two crucial points and the effort and precision that has gone in it is awesome, the thread itself is now in such a state that it makes a mockery of the concept of FAQ list and is just plain embarassing to refer anyone to.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rayon wrote:
    It's got nothing to do with competition. ..............................

Yes it has. If other people are able and will ing to do better there is nothing to stop them. Then my thread would fall into disuse.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yes why is this a sticky if the author - Brian - isn't able to somehow simply edit or repost his first thread. Although Brians FAQs have helped me on two crucial points and the effort and precision that has gone in it is awesome, the thread itself is now in such a state that it makes a mockery of the concept of FAQ list and is just plain embarassing to refer anyone to.

If I edited and reposted my first thread for each change the thread would get rather long. The current version is 16 pages long.

It is not copyright. Anyone can convert it to html, put it on the net and post the link on this thread.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 90
    Forum Member
    brian9200T wrote:
    If I edited and reposted my first thread for each change the thread would get rather long. The current version is 16 pages long.

It is not copyright. Anyone can convert it to html, put it on the net and post the link on this thread.

Ignore it all mate - you've done a fantastic job. Armchair critics are 2 a penny.
  • MethanoidMethanoid Posts: 508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jeez, I was a little less sledgehammer-like in my "criticism" saying I would have found it more helpful if it was posted as post #1 but I agree some of the follow ups seem a little blunt...

and as Brian says "do it yourself, if you can do better"... so put your money where your mouth is guys??
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 66
    Forum Member
    brian9200T wrote:
    If I edited and reposted my first thread for each change the thread would get rather long. .

No it wouldn't, just edit the first post with all updates to keep it current (click edit, make changes, or paste latest complete FAQ into message window over the old version, then save changes), then delete all the repeated postings, which are not needed.

Moderator can cleanup any irelevant/resolved follow ups.

The FAQ should easily fit on one page if this is done, and it would take 5 minutes!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 263
    Forum Member
    jblackmore wrote:
    No it wouldn't, just edit the first post with all updates to keep it current (click edit, make changes, or paste latest complete FAQ into message window over the old version, then save changes), then delete all the repeated postings, which are not needed.

Moderator can cleanup any irelevant/resolved follow ups.

The FAQ should easily fit on one page if this is done, and it would take 5 minutes!

Isn't the problem that you can only edit your own posts for a short period of time? Doest Brian need special powers to do this?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    New FAQ

Q0049: Upload of MP3s crashes.
    After many attempts at uploading MP3's to my PVR and it always crashing when it got to about record 900 out of 1100 tracks (total size only 2.8gb) and with a lot of assistance from Humax support (including a PVR swap out which still failed), Humax have today confirmed the bug - see email below:

A0049:

"Thank you for your email; we have since discovered that due to a software issue once you reach 900 in a transfer of MP3’s the unit crashes, Our developers are rectifying this among other identified issues in the next software update which should be pretty soon as we are keen to keep our customers."
    Post 358 by alanhaymes to ‘Using with a PC thread'.12NOV2005
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 66
    Forum Member
    jjn wrote:
    Isn't the problem that you can only edit your own posts for a short period of time? Doest Brian need special powers to do this?

Sorry, I just realised this - can a moderator fix this, as clearly this is very annoying, and forum settings need to be fixed so posts can be edited at any time!!

Apologies to Brian, I didn't realise this forum had time restricted editing, I use several other forums on other subjects, and have never seen this pointless restriction before !!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jblackmore wrote:
    Sorry, I just realised this - can a moderator fix this, as clearly this is very annoying, and forum settings need to be fixed so posts can be edited at any time!!

Apologies to Brian, I didn't realise this forum had time restricted editing, I use several other forums on other subjects, and have never seen this pointless restriction before !!
    I presume this restriction is to prevent people from going back and changing history, ala 1984 :)

It certainly screws up the ability to create clear FAQ lists though.