PS4 or Xbox1?

TalizmanTalizman Posts: 2,899
Forum Member
✭✭✭
First of all I'm not interested in any flaming or fanboy wars, any comments along those lines will be ignored.

I'm getting either a PS4 or Xbox1. I know both have their own pros and cons but not sure which would suit me more. I'm not a hardcore gamer and I have little-to-no interest in online gaming, I prefer just me vs the console and neither am I likely to be downloading/renting films to view on the machine but could be interested in any free stuff they have available online. I like first-person shooters, some driving games (I loved Forzar on my old 360), WWE games etc too. Could be up for some 'fitness' games as well.

Seeing as both base models are around the same price (I'll only buy brand new) I'm hoping someone can help me choose...

(edit: I'm aware you have to pay for Xbox Live Gold but I have a voucher for 6 months' access)

Comments

• fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you're into Forza and fitness, the Xbox One is the obvious choice. (Although you'll want the Kinect sensor for the latter, so forget the base model)

Both machines give you free stuff with their yearly subs.

PS4 has more "free to play" games, but as they are online-only they probably aren't of interest to you.

Other than that, check out the controllers and the exclusives to see which suit you best. They are personal choices though, and not something I would like to advise on.
  • TalizmanTalizman Posts: 2,899
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for that - the PS4's "free to play" games that are online, can they only be played with others?

(By the way when I said "online gaming" in my original post I meant playing against other people)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Talizman wrote: »
    Thanks for that - the PS4's "free to play" games that are online, can they only be played with others?

(By the way when I said "online gaming" in my original post I meant playing against other people)

Yeah. The PS4 has a good selection of F2Ps (Warframe, War Thunder, Blacklight Retribution, DC Universe Online and the forthcoming Planetside 2) but they are online-multiplayer only.

The don't require a subscription to play though, which is a bonus.
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You like racing and fitness games and have 6 month of Xbox live... Well that's an easy answer, get an Xbox One with Kinect.

If you get an Xbox One without Kinect you can pick up Kinect for £20 from Cex.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In terms of overall performance am I likely to notice much of a difference in gameplay between them?
  • gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In terms of overall performance am I likely to notice much of a difference in gameplay between them?

No

:-)
  • NewGamesOfTodayNewGamesOfToday Posts: 292
    Forum Member

I own an Xbox One but have played one or two of the games I own on a PS4 and I couldn't notice any difference.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

If you study them side-by-side you might, but as long as you are enjoying the version you have then ask yourself does it really matter?

But PS4 is more powerful. There's no escaping that. We could see it become home to more ambitious games in the future.
  • PrestonAlPrestonAl Posts: 10,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The PS4 has a bit more grunt under the bonnet, that's about it. You'll probably find you eta few more games at 1080p than the XBoxOne
  • Danger CloseDanger Close Posts: 3,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It just will not die

Multiple threads, same topic, why start another?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone.
    It just will not die

Multiple threads, same topic, why start another?

I wanted to ask a question relating to my particular situation thanks, not that I or anyone else needs to justify a thread.
  • sparky07sparky07 Posts: 1,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone.

I wanted to ask a question relating to my particular situation thanks, not that I or anyone else needs to justify a thread.

But Danger is right though! Your situation is no different to the previous. ' Console advice thread ' which was closed down!!

Go back and read the advice given in there,
    Choosing a console really isn't that difficult!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's no need, I've had my questions answered now. And unless I'm told by the DS mods that I'm breaking the T&Cs I'll post any threads I want, just like you can.
  • the dourflathe dourfla Posts: 1,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I chose ps over xbox because i prefer the controller and that hasn't changed since the original ps. Try the controllers first you might not feel comfortable with one of them.
  • SaddlerSteveSaddlerSteve Posts: 4,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gormond wrote: »
    You like racing and fitness games and have 6 month of Xbox live... Well that's an easy answer, get an Xbox One with Kinect.

If you get an Xbox One without Kinect you can pick up Kinect for £20 from Cex.

Pretty much this.
  • JoystickJoystick Posts: 14,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Best to look at what exclusive games are coming out for each console to see which ones interest you more, also worth considering if you know more people playing online on the PSN or XBL.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have no interest in online gaming.
  • JoystickJoystick Posts: 14,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Me neither, I prefer single-player games. It's just something to consider if you were.
  • gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would get the Mario kart 8 wii u pack if the op is more "casual"

Lots of great games on that system
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Woodbine wrote: »
    Me neither, I prefer single-player games. It's just something to consider if you were.

As I stated in my first post it's not something after.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I was in the market for a console at this present time Xbox One would be my choice as Halo master chief collection is very appealing. Forza Horizon 2 is tempting as the 1st is my fav racing title of last gen.
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's no need, I've had my questions answered now. And unless I'm told by the DS mods that I'm breaking the T&Cs I'll post any threads I want, just like you can.

Then you'll get people whinging rightly so.