BBC to 'change potentially' if Scottish referendum ends in yes.

2»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 90
    Forum Member
    wizzywick wrote: »
    The Jimmy Savile "thing" isn't a BBC scandal. It is a scandal that occurred partly on BBC premises and largely in NHS buildings. Why are people so blinkered by newspaper stories that seem to suggest that his vile behaviour is a BBC problem and a BBC problem only? The Sun calls him the "BBC Pervert." He could equally be known as "The NHS Pervert". As long as the BBC carry out proper enquiries and act appropriately on their findings, they will be fine.

And, if Scotland gets its independence, so will Doctor Who.

Well said. Even more distasteful is the suggestion Jimmy even ventured into graveyards for his 'personal life'. Wonder what he would think about his headstone being removed...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FFREEEEEDDDOOOM!!

Sorry , don't know what came over me then...................

Seriously though, I don't think independence will happen. It is a possibility, but a small one, if the recession continues to get worse. Us Scots in general HATE the Tory's, and if they were to somehow "win" another election ( HAHA- right), or continue to be in government before the referendum happens, then that would seriously piss people off in Scotland. There would be a small chance that facing the prospect of 5 more years of the idiocy they call a government being foisted upon a population that did not vote for it ( they get about 5% of the vote in Scotland or something like that) could tip the balance.

So- if it happens soon after a general election, with that disappointment fresh in peoples minds, then there is that risk.

BUT- as to how this will affect Dr Who, I don't think much will change. It might even be the case that certain things will be negotiated as part of the 'deal'. One such thing could be that the BBC would continue to operate across both countries just as it has done. Could be the same for things like train companies and gas/electricity and TV etc. Maybe a bit like the current European union rules, but even more linked up. Just a thought anyway. Either way the BBC signal would possibly still be getting through to a lot of the population.

I wonder what would happen to people like me, living on the wrong side of the border. Maybe I would be forcibly re-patriated or something? And what about my kids- they might have to get dual citizenship.
  • TEDRTEDR Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mikw wrote: »
    Rupert Murdoch wants a split, and he's often seen with Alex Salmond - a weaker BBC is good for Rupert - so i'd be a bit worried.

Murdoch doesn't have as much currency nowadays — not because of the phone hacking but because he's primarily in print and has locked all his online content behind a paywall.

Daily circulation of the Scottish Sun, which is the best selling newspaper up there as well as being a Murdoch title, is about a third of a million, or slightly less than 7% of the population. Sky has a million subscribers, still much less than the number the yes advocates need to persuade. In any case I seriously doubt that a large number of those are in it for Sky News and Sky News is substantially more balanced than, say, Fox News in the US.

I look at it like the referenda on directly elected mayors. The Scottish argument appears to be that they'll remain in the EU but don't want the Euro (it's unpopular) so they'll negotiate to keep the pound. Which means you'll have something like the Eurozone but much smaller and completely within the EU. So, in short, they're advocating for more government and more politicians. I don't think that argument's going to fly, and I think they're going to lose the nationalists that they hope won't spot the detail as soon as they say 'well, yes, obviously we'd have a monetary union with England'.
  • DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It would certainly have major implications for the BBC if Scotland votes yes to independence, but it's difficult to say at this stage how individual programmes might be affected.
  • JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member
    TEDR wrote: »
    Murdoch doesn't have as much currency nowadays — not because of the phone hacking but because he's primarily in print and has locked all his online content behind a paywall.

Daily circulation of the Scottish Sun, which is the best selling newspaper up there as well as being a Murdoch title, is about a third of a million, or slightly less than 7% of the population.
    Funny that you mention the Sun, because their website is NOT behind a paywall.
  • cat666cat666 Posts: 2,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FFREEEEEDDDOOOM!!

Sorry , don't know what came over me then...................

Seriously though, I don't think independence will happen. It is a possibility, but a small one, if the recession continues to get worse. Us Scots in general HATE the Tory's, and if they were to somehow "win" another election ( HAHA- right), or continue to be in government before the referendum happens, then that would seriously piss people off in Scotland. There would be a small chance that facing the prospect of 5 more years of the idiocy they call a government being foisted upon a population that did not vote for it ( they get about 5% of the vote in Scotland or something like that) could tip the balance.

So- if it happens soon after a general election, with that disappointment fresh in peoples minds, then there is that risk.

BUT- as to how this will affect Dr Who, I don't think much will change. It might even be the case that certain things will be negotiated as part of the 'deal'. One such thing could be that the BBC would continue to operate across both countries just as it has done. Could be the same for things like train companies and gas/electricity and TV etc. Maybe a bit like the current European union rules, but even more linked up. Just a thought anyway. Either way the BBC signal would possibly still be getting through to a lot of the population.

I wonder what would happen to people like me, living on the wrong side of the border. Maybe I would be forcibly re-patriated or something? And what about my kids- they might have to get dual citizenship.

I'm English, but in my heart I'm Scottish. You live in a very beautiful country rich in history and if I could justify upping sticks and moving, then I'd be there like a shot.

People seem to think there is a massive England V Scotland thing going on, but I've never experienced any hostility from anyone in Scotland. Sure you get the odd bit of banter for football games, but you get that with Manchester City V Manchester United. For the most part everyone seems very tolerant of everyone else.

Like you say we are in a massive financial crisis, and the truth is that it is going to be costly to set up an independant Government in Scotland. The funding will have to come from somewhere, and any taxes will be only be coming from Scottish residents. This is going to put voters off. You've then also got to wonder how many people actually care about politics. You hate the current Government, but so do most of us in England, most people don't bother voting as they don't see the point.

In the case of Doctor Who it will have little to no effect. The show is made by BBC Wales so even if Scotland did become independant the team involved would remain mostly unchanged. The only effect it will have is possibly less money will find it's way to the BBC, but that depends on how the license fee will work. If the BBC carry on getting money to supply Scotland (which there is a good chance of) then there will be no change. If they don't, then the BBC would need to re-budget, and whomever is in charge of programming in Scotland would then need to negociate a deal to get Who shown.
  • TEDRTEDR Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JAS84 wrote: »
    Funny that you mention the Sun, because their website is NOT behind a paywall.

I'm proud I didn't know that and I look forward to the day when I don't know it again.